Eagles Kids Club

Sundays, 10am, FOX
C

By Liz Spikol
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 13 | Posted Mar. 3, 2009

Before cable, Saturday mornings were all about cartoons. These days weekend TV hardly holds the same allure, but if you find yourself still alive after the joust between beleaguered Juan Williams and sneering Bill Kristol on Fox News Sunday, stay tuned for Eagles Kids Club. Yes, it’s local, so you know it’s an amateurish mess.

The cartoon characters are a freckled, red-haired girl, a bland boy named Franklin and a beefy future quarterback who’s clearly being voiced by a guy in his 50s trying very hard—perhaps by doing crunches as he talks—to sound like a 9-year-old Shaggy. Last Sunday’s show started on a schoolbus. The freckled girl—a Maria Goretti version of Lisa Simpson—was teaching her school chums lessons about transportation, aided by an Eagles robot that popped out of her backpack. Swoop, the Eagles mascot, was also on the bus, though he said nothing, probably because in real life his costume is worn by the same guy who voices the 9-year-old quarterback.

After some unforgivable Wright Bros. puns, the show went to a non-cartoon interview with Brian Dawkins, who was personable and delightful and obviously very expensive. Asked if there was something no one knew about him, he wisely steered clear of admitting he thinks his children’s names (Cionni, Brionni, Chionni) are wack, and confessed to an affinity for the ’80s song “Come on Eileen” by Dexy’s Midnight Runners. He even sang it. Ah, Wolverine, we’ll miss you.

Perhaps the funniest moment in the entire show—other than the use of the phrase “Philly Phacts”—came from Eagles long snapper Jon Dorenbos, who said something like, “As most of you know, I’m a magician in the off season ... ” If only he could keep Dawkins from disappearing.

COMMENTS

1. ropeadope said... on Mar 9, 2009 at 01:43PM

“does liz have kids? i have 3 (boys!) and can tell you that it's their favorite show on TV -in fact, they get more excited about the Eagles Kids Club than the Eagles Football game!

2. firefighter1 said... on Mar 9, 2009 at 09:29PM

“Ouch. Where is the love Liz?? My son AND daughter are big fans. Not sure where you are coming from here?”

3. Cristi said... on Mar 10, 2009 at 06:27AM

“Liz, I am not sure what show you've been watching, but "amateurish" this is not. After hours of Sponge Bob, it is nice to see my kids watching an informative and intelligent show. This is one I actually enjoy watching myself! I think we should applaud the efforts of the ETN for designing a show for kids that encourages them to think, provides new and interesting facts, teaches lessons, and of course - brings the Eagles players closer to home. How can you beat that?”

4. Momof2 said... on Mar 10, 2009 at 06:38AM

“I am the mom of a daughter and a son who both LOVE this show!! Not sure Liz is in touch with reality!! Kids can't wait for this show to come on.”

5. #1 Eagles Fan said... on Mar 10, 2009 at 06:58AM

“This show rocks. My kids love this show. Forget Sponge Bob and Ben Ten, my boys (and daughter) eat this program up. Props to Eagles Kids Club.”

6. Philly Fan in CT said... on Mar 10, 2009 at 07:33AM

“My family and I are huge Eagles fans and we now live in CT. The best part about this show is that we can watch it on the computer whenever we want! Liz is crazy - this show is great!!!”

7. Travis said... on Mar 10, 2009 at 08:15AM

“I think this show is very good. If you know anything about instructional design, animation, and curriculum development. You would know that this show is solid. It not only peeks the interest of the targeted audience but provides quality information about the Eagle. "Keep up the good work!"”

8. JAG said... on Mar 10, 2009 at 08:22AM

“I don't get Liz' comments. The show is fun and informative - much better than most of the junk on TV. Keep the show going.”

9. MB said... on Mar 10, 2009 at 08:30AM

“I love this show. It is so appropriate for youth.”

10. JoeAmenta said... on Mar 10, 2009 at 08:46AM

“It's the best show on TV for KIDS, keep it UP!!!!!”

11. JD said... on Mar 10, 2009 at 08:47AM

“Eagles Kids Club is my child's favorite TV show. She can't wait to see the next episode. It is by far the best show on TV that she could watch (educational, exciting, and entertaining).”

12. Mom of Four said... on Mar 11, 2009 at 10:41AM

“Constructive criticism is helpful but this is downright mean. Why so angry Liz?? Kids loves the Eagles and kids love this show. How about support for the local guy??”

13. MeMe said... on Mar 12, 2009 at 05:22AM

“I had to read your article twice -- I could not believe you could be so wrong and sign your name to such statements! This is a show that I love and I can watch with my grandchildren, who also love it.

As for "amateurish" they're hardly that!! Each episode is instructional, with little jems of humor for adults, and CLEAN, HEALTHY, and EDUCATIONAL moments for young and old alike. With the "cartoons" and shows that children watch, isn't it refreshing to find ETN's creation?

I spend winters in Florida and the beauty is that I can (and do!) watch the episodes on the computer. ETN has given us a clever, interesting show, attractive to all ages. I believe they have developed a following that is large, faithful and appreciative of ETNs expertise and imagination.

Perhaps it is YOUR tastes that need to be developed.”