Tips for replacing air ducts in slab foundation home

Multiple broken joints may require rerouting system overhead

By Inman News Feed
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 0 | Posted Feb. 3, 2012

Share this Story:

1. If the company agreed to provide you with insulation to a specific R-value, and they haven't done that, then they're in default of their contract. I don't like the fact that the contractor blew cellulose over fiberglass. Your fiberglass was already compressed, and the weight of the cellulose is going to compress it even more.

I would have preferred to see the workers simply blow the proper level of fiberglass and be done with it. But either way, they need to complete the work to the specifications of the contract, and document that they have achieved a full R-38. I like the fact that you have an independent person doing the documentation.

2. If the contract specifies blown-in insulation, and that's what you agreed to, then the contractor is really under no obligation to come out and install batts. The company is, however, required to meet "industry standards" for the installation, and if the workers incorrectly installed the material then they have an obligation to remove it and reinstall it correctly. It sounds like that's the case here, which you've documented with the home inspector.

3. I'm not a fan of foil barriers in the attic, and personally I'm not convinced they're effective. Again, incorrectly installed they can become a vapor barrier that can create moisture problems.

4. I'm sure you know this now, and I hate to give you a hard time about it after the fact, but for the future you should never pay for remodeling and repair services until the job is completely done. You can pay a reasonable deposit before the job starts, as well as in-progress payments as warranted, but now that the contractor has all your money, he has no incentive to come back out and complete the job.

All that being said, your first step is always to contact the contractor, which it sounds like you've already done. Since the contractor appears unwilling to make it right, your next step is to file a complaint with the Maryland contractor's board, which has an arbitration service that can step in and work with you and the contractor to help you resolve the matter.

Remodeling and repair questions? Email Paul at All product reviews are based on the author's actual testing of free review samples provided by the manufacturers.

Contact Paul Bianchina:
Email Email Letter to the Editor

Prev| Page: 1 2
Add to favoritesAdd to Favorites PrintPrint Send to friendSend to Friend



(HTML and URLs prohibited)