HUD helps people living with HIV, AIDS

$334M allocated toward low-cost housing assistance

By Inman News Feed
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 14 | Posted Sep. 9, 2011

AIDS Alabama has benefited from a volunteer effort from Auburn University's architectural school, which built two "green" structures for the nonprofit, one using hay in the walls for insulation and another that used railroad cars. Recently, another local nonprofit rehabbed a number of homes that had been in foreclosure and gave three to AIDS Alabama.

Similarly, Clare Housing in Minneapolis has strung together a number of projects to house people with HIV/AIDS. Currently, the organization operates six adult foster care homes, a 32-unit supportive housing development, and 20 units of scattered-site housing.

HOPWA funds were used to develop two Clare Housing structures, including the 32-unit supportive housing building, said Lee Lewis, Chare Housing's executive director.

"These buildings didn't exist before the HOPWA grants," Lewis said. "You usually have to pull together a half dozen to a dozen different funding sources. Both these projects have HOPWA dollars and low-income housing credits."

The HOPWA funds, which can be substantial -- the three-year HOPWA grant for Clare Housing's supportive housing totaled $850,000 -- often act as a catalyst for other funding.

"In each instance when we got the HOPWA award, it got the attention of all the other local fund sources, city, state and county," Lewis said. "It's unusual for federal money to come into a project, so after we got the HOPWA award, the other fund sources got together and figured out how to get the package together and over the goal line."

When people move into Clare Housing homes, Lee said, "their viral loads go down; their CD4 counts go down; they become less likely to transmit the disease; and they have access to medical care."

Nonprofits like Clare Housing and AIDS Alabama have been very aggressive in acquiring and building housing, as well as supplying rental assistance, but it's never enough.

As Marquez said, "We have over 1 million people in the country with AIDS and we estimate there are 125,000 households that have unmet housing needs of people living with HIV. With 56,000 new HIV cases annually, the need continues to grow."

Steve Bergsman is a freelance writer in Arizona and author of several books. His latest book, "Growing Up Levittown: In a Time of Conformity, Controversy and Cultural Crisis," is now available for sale on Amazon.com.

Contact Steve Bergsman:
Email Email Letter to the Editor Letter to the Editor

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. Isaiah Johnson said... on Nov 16, 2011 at 06:12PM

“I am looking for home for people living with Hiv & Aids Phone no. 773-647-7399”

2. John davids said... on Dec 31, 2011 at 11:58PM

“l will like to know, why people with the can work? Are the not people too? The money for thier treatment. and the only out is to work.”

3. mercy said... on Oct 2, 2013 at 07:26PM

Hello every body, Miss Rose, and i am here to testifies on how DR.ekoko help me to cure my sickness called HIV/AIDS which has

been eating me up for 2years and 4months, and when I go online I saw his email on how he cured so many people, so I emailed

the Dr.ekoko and tell my problems to him, and tell all his necessary needy for the healing, after that day he gave me an

assurance of 4days of his herbal healing, and said I should go for a medical check up on the 5th day of which I get to the

hospital the new result now shows am HIV negative. And now am so happy and free from it thanks to Dr ekoko. Please if there

is any one in need of his help should kindly contact him ekokospiritualkigdom@gmail.comor call him on 2348161779668

4. mercy said... on Oct 2, 2013 at 07:26PM

5. xian saon said... on Feb 17, 2015 at 09:14AM

Hello, I'm here to say thanks and appreciation dr akoli for helping me cure my HIV. My name is Xian Saon i live in Pulau Pinang. I was infected by someone i loved and he did not tell me he was HIV positive. I read on how dr akoli has help someone get rid of this HIV virus and i contacted dr akoli and i was told what to do, to my greatest surprise after going accordingly to instruction given to me by dr akoli i went for a medical test and the result was negative. i want to say thanks again to dr akoli you can contact dr akoli on his e-mail : akoliovansspelltemple@gmail.com If you are infected also or for any other disease, good work dr akoli”

6. joyce said... on Feb 17, 2015 at 09:34AM

How can I explain this to the world that there is a man who can cure HIV/aids I was HIV over since 7year I have being into HIV drug I can’t anymore I decide to look for help then I found this woman post write about this great man DR.AKOLI telling people about him that this man have cured to HIV I don’t believe that because all I have in mind is HIV had no cure, thank god for my life today am HIV negative through the power of DR.AKOLI I contacted this man for help because who write about him drop an email of the man I pick the email and emailed him for the cure this man told me what to do about the cure well am from Australia this man cast a curing spell on me and he told me that he will call me after the cure is done truly he did I was cured for 45mins spell what a wonderful man this DR.AKOLI if you need his cured just email him now akoliovansspelltemple@gmail.com

7. Kate Nolan said... on Feb 17, 2015 at 09:36AM

Hello everybody my name is Kate Nolan form the UK i never belived that spell and herb can
cure ten years HIV in my body, i never thought that this will work, i have
spend a lot getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was
waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i read about this great
man called DR AKOLI who is well known for his spell, HIV and cancer
cure, i decided to email him, unknowingly to me that this will be the end
of the HIV aids in my body, he prepared the herbs spell for me, and gave me
instructions on how to take it, at the end of 5 days, he told me to go to
the hospital for a check up, and i went, surprisingly after the test the
doctor confirmed me negative, i thought it was a joke, i went to other
hospitals and was also negative, then i took my friend who was also HIV
positive to the Dr, and after the spell treatment she was also confirmed
negative . He also have the herb to cure cancers, infertility and any other disease, please i want every”

8. Emily Smith said... on Feb 19, 2015 at 07:27PM

“All thanks to Dr Osorba for curing my HIV positive to Negative, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will forever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Osorba to reach me when i thought it is all over, today am happy with my two kids and my husband after the medical doctor have confirmed my HIV status Negative,i have never in my life believed that HIV could be cure by any herbal medicine. so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the wonderful herbs and power of Dr Osorba that all is not lost yet, try and contact him by any means with his email: osorbaherbalhome@gmail.com”

9. Emily Smith said... on Feb 19, 2015 at 07:27PM

10. Emily Smith said... on Feb 19, 2015 at 07:27PM

11. Anonymous said... on Feb 21, 2015 at 08:29AM

“I Never believed i was ever going to be HIV Negative again,Dr Kamacho has given me reasons to be happy, i was HIV positive for 2years and all the means i tried for treatment was not helpful to me, but when i came on the Internet i saw great testimony about Dr Kamacho on how he was able to cure someone from HIV, this person said great things about this man, and advice we contact him for any Disease problem that Dr Kamacho can be of help, well i decided to give him a try, he requested for my information which i sent to him, and he told me he was going to prepare for me a healing portion, which he wanted me to take for days, and after which i should go back to the hospital for check up, well after taking all the treatment sent to me by Dr Kamacho, i went back to the Hospital for check up, and now i have been confirmed HIV Negative, friends you can reach Dr Kamacho on any treatment for any Disease he is the one only i can show you all up to, reach him on (traditionalspellcentre@gmail.com)”

12. VAN LUCY said... on Feb 23, 2015 at 04:03PM

“My life has change just 24hours, all I want to say is anything that your mind has chosen the first time don’t let a friend deceive you, my testimony happen like this I was on Google site I read 5 testimony with different doctors I ask myself which one is real because there are many fake doctors now, finally conclude to email doctor ogidigan of ora, when him reply me my friend was there who was still an hiv/aids patient him ask me to send money for items, my friend told me since him ask of money first that she is not going to be a party to such thing but I focus my mind and said I will be cure from this virus, when him was truth with everything, he told me my cure will be deliver to me by the RED STAR CURRIER MANAGEMENT which true when I apply the cure as him instructed me, then I go for test that was how I was cure for hiv/aids, and also now with the help of doctor ogidigan of ora my friend is now hiv/aids negative also great ogidigan you can email him at Hotmail or Gmail dr.ogidigan@hotmail.com, dr.ogidigan.1.of.ora@gmail.com. My name is VAN LUCY am from south Africa trust doctor ogidigan him can cure whatever disease you are having. THANKS”

13. Anita said... on Mar 12, 2015 at 04:13PM

“Dr alabokun thank you for the time you make to saved my life i have suffered a lot to get health out from this diseases HIV aids, been in my body for years i take a lot of different drugs and herbs no one work. but just a try of your herbs for few weeks i am now free from this disease i really appreciate God will continuously bless you i will always remember you and testify for your good. pleas i want yu`all to know there is a cure on HIV aids so that you will also be free out from it. is my propose of showing this mail.
dralabokun@hotmail.com give him a try you will also testify good about him.”

14. Anita said... on Mar 12, 2015 at 05:24PM

dralabokun@hotmail.com give him a try you will also testify good about him.”