Co-signing FHA loan has strings attached

REThink Real Estate

By Inman News Feed
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 16 | Posted May. 15, 2009

REThink Real Estate

Tara-Nicholle Nelson
Inman News

Q: We have income that we are unable to document on our FHA loan application. We need to qualify for just $50,000 more than we are approved for. We have elected to have a co-signer, but we would like to have a co-signer release after 12 months of on-time payments built into the loan. We do not want our co-signer to have any ownership interest in the property and he will not be on the title. Is it possible to do this with FHA loans?

And if he co-signs on our FHA loan and is removed after 12 months of on-time payments, will he need to wait three years from that point before he can apply for his own FHA loan or could he apply immediately once removed?

A: It sounds like you read somewhere that everything in real estate is negotiable. Between a buyer and seller, virtually everything is -- that's true. But when it comes to getting a mortgage -- and especially an FHA-insured mortgage -- the adage must be flipped backwards: Nothing is negotiable. You've got to play by the FHA's rules, not vice versa.

Mindset Management

Back to basics: The FHA loan is a loan made by a regular mortgage bank, but insured by the Federal Housing Administration, whose goal is to make sure homeownership is available to people who might have less-than-perfect credit or a down payment less than 20 percent. Accordingly, the FHA loan allows lending in some circumstances where a non-FHA-backed, conventional loan would not. However, in order for it to make sense to back these loans, the FHA requires that the borrowers, the properties and the ownership scenario comply with certain guidelines -- actually, with a lot of guidelines -- which minimize the risk of default. This is why FHA loans are thought to be paperwork-heavy: There are just a lot of i's to dot and t's to cross to seal the deal.

So, on your deal, the short answer is that you cannot negotiate your own custom co-signer arrangement with the FHA. Rather, you need to learn what the FHA guidelines are about co-signers, and decide whether that will work for you.

And, one more thing: Why on earth would a co-signer agree to take on all the potential liabilities of co-signing for your home, with none of the advantages or even protections of having his name on the title? It doesn't pass the smell test, and I'd be surprised if it didn't raise a red flag to your underwriter, who might become concerned that there was something fishy going on. FHA loan underwriters exercise a high degree of scrutiny and personal judgment; if something doesn't seem right, they have the power (rightfully so) to nitpick your deal to death or even decline the loan.

Need-to-Knows

FHA loans do allow for a non-occupant co-borrower, but that person must be a blood relative or be able to demonstrate a long, family-esque relationship with the occupant-borrower (i.e. you), unless you plan to put 25 percent-plus down. In my research, the only FHA loans I found that allow for a co-signer -- that is, a non-occupant who assists with qualifying for the loan and agrees to be fully responsible for repayment but is not on title -- were refinance programs. In general, on an FHA purchase loan, all borrowers must sign the note and the deed of trust, and take title to the property, but you should double-check that with your mortgage broker.

Neither the FHA nor your bank will allow any sort of special agreement by which on-time payments for a year will "release" your co-borrower. If you qualify for the loan using the co-borrower's income and assets, then he's in it for the duration of the loan. The only way to get your co-borrower off the loan will be to refinance into another loan for which you qualify without the assistance of the co-borrower.

Once you have a new loan, sans co-borrower, your co-borrower can be immediately eligible for another FHA loan -- he doesn't need to wait three years.

Action Plan

1. Get aggressive about documenting your income more thoroughly. We no longer live in a stated-income world, and whether or not you buy with a co-borrower now, you'll eventually want or need to be able to document your income for mortgage purposes via tax returns, etc.

2. Get educated about the FHA guidelines for non-occupant co-borrowers and your particular lender's overlay guidelines, as your lender's rules might be even more restrictive than the FHA's. Talk with your mortgage broker about what you can and cannot do.

3. Then decide whether you can make the non-occupant co-borrower arrangement work, based on the FHA guidelines. Don't work yourself into a fit customizing a special agreement with your co-borrower that conflicts with FHA rules, because it's just not going to happen. Do make sure your co-borrower is aware that he is fully responsible for repaying the loan, in the event anything stops you from making the payment.

Tara-Nicholle Nelson is author of "The Savvy Woman's Homebuying Handbook" and "Trillion Dollar Women: Use Your Power to Make Buying and Remodeling Decisions." Ask her a real estate question online or visit her Web site, www.rethinkrealestate.com.

Page: 1 2 |Next

COMMENTS

1. jofabian said... on Jul 4, 2009 at 06:05AM

This whole stimulus package is just part of the governments long term plan to take away the power of the people. Are we going to do something about it or be lazy and think someone else is going to do it for us? It is time for a revolution. We need to overthrow the government and take our power back. Before there is nothing we can do about it. you should check www.obamamortgage2009.blogspot.com/2009/03/obamas-ortgage-modification-do-you.html#comments”

2. loispoor said... on Jul 6, 2009 at 04:02AM

“I own a condo and have an outstanding balance of $140k, consisting of $104k primary and $36k secondary. I took the home equity to consolidate debts. At the time the property was valued at $163k but now it is valued at $134k. I'm looking to sell because i am engaged and will be moving into my fiancee's home. Check http://obamamortgage2009.blogspot.com/2009/03/obamas-mortgage-modification-do-you.html If I have a buyer who offers me within say $5-7k of the outstanding, can i agree to assume a loan on the residual and pay the bank the difference over time with interest? The same bank holds both mortgages.

3. Anonymous said... on Sep 13, 2010 at 08:14PM

“If my husband and I were to buy a house. We wanted my mom to co-sign for us. I was told that they will look at the person who makes the lowest. Is that true? We were hoping that it might increase the amount we qualified for.”

4. Anonymous said... on Apr 19, 2011 at 08:38PM

“We just purchased a home for our son in Washington DC (closing was on 4/18/2011) - purchase price was $830,000.00 - we paid cash....my son and myself are on the deed. I would like to co-sign a loan with him and get some of my cash out. He is graduating college in a month and will have job paying $40K upon graduation. Can I apply for an FHA loan of $600K as co-borrower with him...does FHA require that we each qualify for the loan or can they use my income/credit? When is the earliest that we can apply - does he have to be employed for a specific period of time before we can apply? Our LTV would be less than 75%.”

5. Anonymous said... on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:21AM

“can a person who is the co borrower who has cosigned and have their name on the deed on a FHA loan just take their name off the home without the primary knowledge or just stop paying on the loan?”

6. Anonymous said... on Sep 14, 2011 at 05:53AM

“I just purchased a home with FHA this realtionship has gone sour what are my rights as co borrower we put all the money down and are making mortgage payments?”

7. Anonymous said... on Oct 18, 2011 at 08:25PM

“Will my co-buyer be responsible for an acciedent on my property?”

8. petersmith01 said... on May 28, 2013 at 01:41AM

“Many home buyers these days are guaranteed by FHA (FHA) home loans. Is your sale house up to FHA standards? If not, you're missing out on potential buyers. Pay for your home inspection with a short term loan.”

9. Dr oscar Remmy said... on May 14, 2015 at 06:19PM

Dear sir/Madam,

We can help you with a loan today, I want you to contact me if interested. Take an Immediate decision and contact us in our Home Office were loan transactions are process and transfer within the shortest possible period. Email.....oscaremmyloanfirm@gmail.com

Personal Loan

Occupation:
Contact phone number:
Loan amount needed:
Loan Duration:
Purpose of loan:
Monthly Income / Yearly Income:

IF interested Fill immediately and return.

Regards

Occupation:
Contact phone number:
Loan amount needed:
Loan Duration:
Purpose of loan:
Monthly Income / Yearly Income:

IF interested Fill immediately and return.

Regards
Oscar Remy
Global Finance”

11. Elane said... on Jun 9, 2015 at 09:56AM

“Hi ,
My name is Elane Da Silva

If getting a legit loan online was that easy as stated in all this fabricated loan testimonies that i have been reading through online , then why were my husband and I turned down for a loan online more than twice after been scammed of about $16,000 United State Dollars ? We the loan seekers are the common regular victims of this fake loan stories simply because we are in dire needs we believe in their stories out of desperation to get a loan, but at the end of it all we find out that we have gained nothing but rather loosed the little we have into the hands of this online scammers who claim to be real lenders .the lenders told us to pay some few amount for insurance because they said that we were high risk!! How is that? I still don't understand how!! how can a lender be requesting several fees from a borrower ? if that borrower was having money would he or she have come along to ask for a loan ?? those lenders deceived my husband and i of getting a loa”

12. Elane said... on Jun 9, 2015 at 09:59AM

“my husband and i of getting a loan and we thought it was all real because we never believed that there was anytime as an online loan scam and they had all pay all we had to them and due to the way things were moving we had to close out our business over here as we could not meet up with the customers needs any longer because we sold all most every single goods we had and we could not replace them as we thought that we could do so if we get our requested loan amount ... yes !! we were scammed by two different lenders online ! a customer who was also a closed friend to the family saw the way things were so bad and decided to introduce us to a loan company but we refused any further loan offer because we had concluded that all of them were scams but he insisted as he opened up of getting a loan from them but we believed him at a spot after he opened up because we knew him from the onset to be a man of unquestionable character who was always known for his words and we applied with this com”

13. Elane said... on Jun 9, 2015 at 10:01AM

“unquestionable character who was always known for his words and we applied with this company that he called CREDIT PREMIER INTL but prior to our application with this email address : creditpremierintl@outlook.com , that he provided to us we quickly lookup this loan company in Google so that we could be sure that they were legit .. yes !! it was to my own satisfaction and i applied but God was so kind that he lead us through and we got our loan .. Oh well, I'm just glad that we got our loan without been scammed or any stress . Email: creditpremierintl@outlook.com , Telephone: 1 619 478 6459, www.facebook.com/creditpremierintl

Elane Da Silva, you can reach me on my official email address elanerosadasilva@gmail.com.”

14. Marcio said... on Jun 9, 2015 at 10:03AM

“My name is Marcio, and i am talking as the happiest person in the whole wide world today and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will tell the name to the whole wild world and i am so happy to say that my family is back for good because i was in need a loan of $ 100,000 USD to start my life all over as the whole world seemed like it was hanging on me until i meet the GOD sent loan lender that changed my life and that of my family, a GOD fearing lender, Mr. David Wilson the C.E.O of (CREDIT PREMIER INTL), he was the Savior GOD sent to rescue my family and at first i thought it was not going to be possible until i received my loan of $ 100,000 USD, i will advise any one who is in genuine need of a loan to contact(Email: creditpremierintl@outlook.com , Telephone: 1 619 478 6459, www.facebook.com/creditpremierintl) because they are understanding and kind hearted.”

15. Malissa Delh said... on Jun 21, 2015 at 10:33AM

“Hello, I am Malissa Delh, currently living in New jersey city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with three kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in April 2014 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a Man of God a private loan lender who gave me a loan of $85,000USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 3% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Mr James Lewis. He doesn’t know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about him and also i want God to bless him more.You can contact him through his email: amacoloancompany@cash4u.com or amacoloancompany@gmail.com”

16. henry said... on Jun 22, 2015 at 08:03PM

“Welcome to HENRY LOANS COMPANY
henryloanscompany@yahoo.com
(A Personalized Service for All Your Financial Needs)
We, henry loans Company Providers offers loan
at a very low interest rate of 3%, we offer Personal
loans, Debt Consolidation Loan, Venture Capital,
Business Loan, Educational Loan, Home Loan, and
Loan for any reason and urgent needs!. with a
maximum duration of 30 years.
Have you been turned down by your bank? Do you
have bad credit? Do you have unpaid bills? Are you in
debt? Do you need to set up a business? Worry no
more as we are here to offer you a low interest loan.
Our loan ranges from $5,000-USD (Five Thousand US