A renters insurance wake-up call

Consider extra liability insurance, coverage of valuables

By Inman News Feed
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 0 | Posted Mar. 10, 2011

Share this Story:

You will want to evaluate the cost of your customized insurance and see how much of the risk of a covered loss that you are willing to accept yourself. This is known as the deductible (or simply the amount you pay before your insurance policy offers coverage) and you can usually reduce your insurance premiums if you have a higher deductible. But the right level of deductible is also a personal decision that only you can make.

Send your new landlord a letter and make an appointment with your insurance professional. Your landlord may have actually helped you determine that your current renters insurance policy is not exactly what you need. If you still think that your current policy is sufficient, then you will need to convince your landlord that its higher required limits are unreasonable or you will have to find a new place to live.

This column on issues confronting tenants and landlords is written by property manager Robert Griswold, author of "Property Management for Dummies" and "Property Management Kit for Dummies" and co-author of "Real Estate Investing for Dummies."

E-mail your questions to Rental Q&A at rgriswold.inman@retodayradio.com. Questions should be brief and cannot be answered individually.

Contact Robert Griswold:
E-mail E-mail Letter to the Editor Letter to the Editor

Prev| Page: 1 2
Add to favoritesAdd to Favorites PrintPrint Send to friendSend to Friend



(HTML and URLs prohibited)