Skorpion and Makael Shoot For YouTube Stardom

North Philly's gossipy, snap-happy Skorpion and Makael are an online sensation.

By Joel Mathis
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 132 | Posted Apr. 28, 2009

In a more recent episode, the two soberly react after discovering that a young fan of theirs won’t tell his friends he watches the show—because he doesn’t want to be thought of as gay.

“This is the big question,” Mclendon says to Simmons in the video. “You want so much to make this show, to have this show put on TV. But how successful do you think that will be if so many people out there don’t want to see that?”

“We will just have to break barriers,” Simmons says. “Because there’s a lot of times when people say no. But somebody’s gonna say yes.”

Crossing over, in fact, is uppermost in Simmons’ mind. He knows the show’s audience is mostly black, mostly teenage girls—with gay men making up a big chunk of the remainder.

“I know there’s more white people on YouTube than black,” he says. “I want them to subscribe to me, too.”

He’s off to a good start. The show’s most-seen video—about the Chris Brown-Rihanna brawl—has been viewed more than a million times. The duo’s YouTube channel has more than 8,000 subscribers, and episodes with even middling viewership still manage to attract hundreds of comments from the pair’s devoted fan base. Skorpion and Makael say Janet Jackson, Britney Spears, Jermaine Dupri and other celebrities have watched their videos. Indeed, one April episode featured a phone interview with Michelle Williams, formerly of Destiny’s Child.

That’s pretty heady stuff for a show that consists of one static webcam shot of the men talking to each other. But Skorpion and Makael’s following has grown to the point that Simmons’ 17-year-old nephew, Rich Smith, plans on launching a clothing line featuring catchphrases from the show.

“Everybody wants in the videos,” Smith says.

The show’s crossover appeal might be aided by its home setting. The pair grabs any spot—kitchen, living room, even bathroom—they can in the crowded confines of the house run by Simmons’ mother, Barbara Smith. The result is a steady din of background conversation and occasional cameos by family members. Simmons’ mother has even appeared (as “Mama Skorpion”) in several videos, invoking both Jesus and a healthy dose of profanity in warning young women not to let men abuse them.

“If you want to wake up with those damn fingers that you hit me with, you better keep your hands to yourself,” she growls.

Simmons, though, believes it’s celebrity gossip—not nosy family members—that will help him make it big. These days, his kitchen table is covered with books on how to earn money on the Internet. He wants more staying power than the “Numa Numa” guy or any of the other one-hit YouTube wonders.

“I’m going to be the next Perez Hilton,” boasts Simmons. “We don’t have a black Perez Hilton. And even if they hate you, they’ll still watch you.”

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. Vizionwarp said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 12:18AM

“LOVES LOVES LOVES Their show”

2. Justize Freedom said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 12:35AM

“Wow! It seems like the writer is trying to down the show and make it seem like they are just two Beyonce loving Gossiping Queens. The show is much deeper than that. If it was just about that they would not have amost 10,000 subscribers and millions of video views.”

3. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 12:45AM

“Light and Day has no association. How can you believe in something and your mate doesn't. When you marry you become ONE! So which has the most compromising to do..You would never be happy...”

4. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 01:11AM

“the article hmm to the point i suppose the show is more than what stated. the demographic is more that gay men and teenage girls. and they aren't gossipy queens... i see the writer didn't make any effort to correct the grammer of the quotes, or to refer to a human as growling, however this will increase the viewership, from the lemons you make lemonade”

5. Kamino said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 01:58AM

“As a fan of The Skorpion Show, I'm a little disappointed with this Article.

I honestly think that JOEL MATHIS did not do Kevin & Makael or The Show justice in this article. I think that this article could have been a whole lot better than it was. Some things were emphasized too much & The things of significance were not talked about enough.

There is so much more to Kevin & Makael as people, than what was mentioned. The Skorpion Show is definitely so much more Profound & Diverse than how it was Depicted.

I have seen & read better articles from a High School Newspaper...”

6. jelcrow15 said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 07:37AM

“Why does it seem like the main facous of their is about their sexuaility. It seems like thats all the writter highlighted. I watch their show all the time and they talk about a lot of other things besides Beyonce and they really don't talk about them being gay.”

7. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 07:55AM

“hmm... so im a straight man.. and i clearly enjoy this show, this article makes the show seems like its all about being gay, which is not what it about at all.. i give the gay part of the show 13% the rest is about current events.. and what we talk about in our own homes... i dont like this article at all.. its a gay beyonce article... and thats not what theskorpionshow is...”

8. Lenora Bougiebee said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:13AM

“I am extremely disappointed in the blatant attempt to depict this show as a beyonce lovin, finger snappin, neck rolling, overdramatic, homosexual show. This author focused only on the superficial aspects that make the dynamic of the show what it is, but failed to take the risk of delving beyond the surface which reveal the true nature of the show and not the sexual preferences of the hosts. This artice reinforces America's obsession with outing potential homosexuals, and trivializing them to nothing more than the stereotypes that surround gay men. This article spent so much time subliminally outing makael & skorpion that it failed to even touch on what the show is about. Yes beyonce janet dominate many of the videos, but what about those about suicide? Relationships? Abuse? Do you know how many people seek the wise words of the matriarch of the "cramped rowhouse" that you so eloquently described? Do you know how many people are devoid of the stress that a grueling world of anger, violence, prejudice and stigmatization creates, simply by just clicking a "theskorpionshow" video? Clearly, this author does not because by reading this article, all I see is "I think they ar gay queens, they like beyonce and its a small house." Shame on this author for being so consumed with uncovering the hosts' sexuality (and maybe his own) *looking over my shades like makael* that he failed to cature the true nature of th show that has captured the hearts of ~ documented people. So in the words of makael & skorpion, Joel Mathis, "Bye Girl, Fly Girl!"”

9. Lenora Bougiebee said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:16AM

“I meant to say approximately 10,000 documented people (those who subscribed)

10. beyoncelvr said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:31AM

“This article is completely disappointing, first thing can someone help me to determine why this is called " the queer issue" in the first place. Was someone trying to make a joke or imply something I'm a little confused. What the skorpion show is two gentlemen discussing current issues and topics which bring everyone together on Youtube. This article just seems like a cheap shot really, you would think in 2009 we would be able to support each other , but you know what it's all good because haters come with the job you guys. Sorry philadelphia weekly it was a cheap shot and your got yours but guess what they are still going to keep pressing on. Congrats on all of your future success Kevin and Makael”

11. beyoncelvr said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:31AM

12. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:40AM

“squeezed into a corner of the cramped North Philly rowhouse where Simmons lives with his mother—are gossiping and even screaming in excitement like a pair of sugar-fueled teenage girls.

that one sentence killed it 4 me...I would b pissed if I wuz skorpion...cuz he basically saying he lives @ home..they gossip like some girls (ugh!) and that they r n a cramed house...what does that matter..The way this article should have been written wuz to showcase what makes the viewers subscribe to Kevin's show..Not what the author just wants to say. I feel as though this is a prime example of how the media can twist words..and publish whatever they want 2 publish...I guess Kevin n Makael are feeling like how celebrities do when they do interviews.Now i know for sure u cant believe in everything that is text!!...Joel Mathis shame on you. You should retract this article and write a better 1..It seems as tho he doesn't even watch the show like that to even write an article about it..How is he even employed @ this company..He is a bad writer.I hope kevin gets the last laugh in the end!!!! (Keep climbing up that ladder both Kevin and Makael!!!!)”

13. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:41AM

14. Aaliyon A. London said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:41AM

“Well im a BIG/HUGE Fan of their show and i absolutely love their personalities, both of them i can see myself being friends with, im moving to Philly soon so manybe i can meet them one day in the near future and guess star on one of their episodes lol. I wont pay any attension to the negative sarcastic comment made about them at the end of the article, let the haterz hate, what they eat, we dont shit so it dont matter (LAUGHTER!)”

15. Candy said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:42AM

“ummmm...they made it seem like every time you turn around yall just talk about gay sex & relationships and thats not the case at all so yeah that sucks!!! sorry little brother.....”

16. Jwall said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:43AM

“i mean... they even went as far as to pin point the "Helloooo" that they said together.. which was an obvious gay joke!!

i wanna say.. the person who wrote this is in the closet himself, or herself.. and is infatuated with being gay... a hot ass mess!”

17. iLOVETHESKORPIONSHOW! said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:43AM

“BYE GIRL FLY GIRL !”

18. Lenora Bougiebee said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:45AM

“If this is what it takes to write for the PW, then I want a job because clearly my comment was better than this article and I just woke up! This is a big ball of negativity and people wonder why no one wants to live here in Philadelphia! Just a taste of the marginalization that happens here when you dont live inside the mediocre box that makes this city so blah!”

19. Lenora Bougiebee said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:45AM

20. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:52AM

“love the show, its a shame the article focused so much on their sexuality- www.youtube.com/user/theskorpionshow”

21. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:52AM

22. Anonymouboy03 (http://twitter.com/Anonymousboy03) said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:58AM

“I'm a HUGE supporter of theskorpionshow, have been now for a long time and I live in New Zealand, me and my friends watch them like Kevin watches No. 1 Detective Agency and Makael watches the Hills that's how we see them! Big and getting bigger! This article should of been about the show and Kev an Makael's influences on why they started the show and how the show is growing in terms of audience. I mean if it made her to NZ and to the UK it's growing internationally! all i see is the word gay and Beyonce! the show EXPLORES global issues as well as entertainment issues and the writer should of talked about! What they say is what A LOT of us are thinking! The writer does doesn't NOT discuss the show in depth! They should of got a real FAN someone who has followed theskorpionshow through its evolution because with day comes time and with time comes growth! A real fan would know where theskoropionshow is and where theskorpionshow is going!!! Many great things are going to come from these two, too bad this butt wipe didn't write an A plus article to go with Kev and Makael's A++ SHOW!”

23. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 09:17AM

“Why are you too focused so much on their sexuality? It seems like you trying to get ppl not to tune in to their show. That's so not cool. They talk about a lot of things other than Beyonce. They talk about how HIV/AIDS affects everyone. They talk about real life experiences too. I'm sorry but whoever published this article needs to be FIRED ASAP!!!”

24. tinnahcindy said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 09:40AM

“ya'll are wrong for this!

BYE GIRL, FLY GIRL......”

25. SkorpionShowFANINPHILLY said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 09:40AM

“This article is "TRASH". Why be so focused on Kev and Makael sexual preference and how they act on cam. This is so disappointing PW weekly!!”

26. tinnahcindy said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 09:41AM

“Ya'll are wrong for this

BYE GIRL, FLY GIRL....”

27. Im gonna get you for this one rite here said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 09:54AM

“How dare they? these hot mouthed ghetto triffling fools. We everybody be hating on skorp and makael yall is real fucked up from the flo up.

Go head Makael and Skorp do tha damn thang”

28. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 10:34AM

“Obviously you didn't fo yourown reaserch of the show before you interviewed them because if you did you would see that there is so much more to them then what you said. If you think that you can live with the fact that their sexual preferences (which is not your business) is the only think to make a person look bad to make yourself feel good then I would like to tell you that you have done neither one. Get a grip and talk about other things instead of tearing a person down you ignorant mutha sucka!!!!!!!!!!”

29. www.twitter.com/simonekali said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 10:43AM

“Thank you for acknowledging the Skorpion Show. I feel the article mocked them and that wasn't right. They aren't flamboyant, neck rolling stereotypical homosexuals, and if they were what does that have to do with the show? They don't gossip to report news they offer their insight and debate celebrity news and current events. Why not speak about their skits as well? Repeatedly calling them loud wasn't necessary. This was an opportunity to say despite small surroundings Skorpion Show is reaching the world in a big way. Celebrities are already enjoying the chance to talk to these two humorous guys and their contrasting opinion. I've watched the show for a while and I had no idea what I was reading about. This article is not about the Skorpion Show I know.”

30. joeldermole said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 10:48AM

“Skorpion has already made a first response video this article. You can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5vmXC2Yz-0

I think him and Makael are planning to do another video about this together. When they do, I'll post it in the story.

Joel Mathis”

31. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:00AM

“I do not like how the Skorpion show was depicted in this article, the show is more than that.....it was more like mocking the show, and this is not what I see when I watch the Skorpion show!!!”

32. Concern gay person w/kids said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:08AM

“I don't allow my children to even watch this show, because of the lies, that yall inform the youths that are gay with. Makael is very Flamming and so are you. You never like anything negative that peolpe say about you. There are gay children that watch your show. All of your fans are mostly depressed gay disfunctional people like yourselves. Sit back and look at yourselves. Please don't send hate mail to my page, im only speaking my mind.....PHILLY WEEKLY thank you. Joel Mathis, thank you for beeing the light of desaster. Im gay and i think that the show is giving off a horrible message to children and teens everywhere. Love your article and it's truth, These people that think the show is inlightening are out of there minds. Makael on the otherhand is a poor poor excuse for beeing gay. He makes all of us look really bad and so does Kevin aka Skorpion. So thanks again and again for that inlighting article, Please take that show off the air for the sake of our uneducated gay teens aswell as uneducated stright teens.”

33. Jay said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:16AM

“This article was a total backhand slap. The funny thing is that you tried to subtly attack them, but it did not come of subtle at all.

There show is not about just being gay, snapping, and twisting. It is so much more. There are straight males who watch the show, because it isn't so much emphasis played on being gay. And what the hell does their lifestyle and what they do in the bedroom have to do with music? Nothing at all

This was a total hitjob, you couldn't just post the interview. You took what they said and twisted it and added things around it. This is a shame.”

34. Ladie T. said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:36AM

“Sucha lame article,2 THUMBS DOWN!

i love the skorpion show & everything about it!”

35. Ladie T. said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:36AM

“Sucha lame article,2 THUMBS DOWN!

i love the skorpion show & everything about it!”

36. Ladie T. said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:36AM

“Sucha lame article,2 THUMBS DOWN!

i love the skorpion show & everything about it!”

37. Ladie T. said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:36AM

“Sucha lame article,2 THUMBS DOWN!

i love the skorpion show & everything about it!”

38. Ladie T. said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:36AM

“Sucha lame article,2 THUMBS DOWN!

i love the skorpion show & everything about it!”

39. Ladie T. said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:36AM

“Sucha lame article,2 THUMBS DOWN!

i love the skorpion show & everything about it!”

40. heavenangel said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:37AM

“I'm also a subscriber and i don't like how joel mathis tried to protray theskorpionshow. The man that wrote the article should be ashamed of himself. the skorpion show is one of the best YouTube shows on YouTube, very entertaining and informative at the same time. very shady”

41. Amy P said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:39AM

“I love their show and it seems like the author of this article is trying to pain the picture that they're two flamboyant gay guys. That's not what they're about. They report their views on certain gossip issues and I love them. They're too funny and if you want to hear the real deal, go to youtube and tune in. BYE GIRL...FLY GIRL!!! Check this link...this is what Kevin thinks.

42. Amy P said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:39AM

43. Beantown Key said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:40AM

“The author cleary intended to cast The Skorpion show in the gayest light possible. Joel Mathis chose to focus not on the real content of the show but on the most salacious aspect (the sexuality of its hosts).
It is a poor journalist who has to resort to sex to sell an article.The Skorpion Show deseved to be depicted properly. The is show is wildly entertaining.
The over 8k subscribers are from all walks of life.

Joel try to show some respect for your subjects next time.”

44. cking said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:43AM

“I hope you guys were not trying to degrade these young men. They are trying to make an honest living in positive manner. You should give them a little more credit for expressing themselves to the public and being excellent entrepreneurs. There are so many people today, who are robbing and murdering people to make money. This is not the case, so shame on you for the way you attempted to defame their character.

45. xkaliber said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:46AM

“it's fucked up how you played them boys!!you say some cool things them backhand the shit out of em with the pen...YOU'SE A COWARD FOR THAT YO!!maybe that's what you feel you need to do to get large.shit on other brothers tryn to be something.YOU ARE A SAD,PUSILLANIMOUS,AND PATHETIC INDIVIDUAL!”

46. aggiebrainiac said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 12:39PM

“I am a fan of the show and I won't bash the article, but it was not professional at all. I believe that from the beginning the way the two were depicted was not good. They do talk about positive things, or I would not watch. Their sexual preferences were made to be the most important part of this article. This article is very disappointing. I believe they are owed an apology and a retraction or a better interview by someone else. This is just the kind of journalism that makes people suspicious of the validity of the news.”

47. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 12:59PM

“You are not an true journalist at all sir. you did focus too much on their sexuality, not cool”

48. will said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 01:08PM

“i love the show and its not all about them being gay i hate the article it needs to focus more on the show not thier lives and they need an apology”

49. joeldermole said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 01:31PM

“Hi folks:

I don't want to spend a ton of time defending the story, because I think it speaks for itself. But I'll tell you what I told Kevin in an e-mail last night: I didn't do this story as a takedown, or with disrespect. I like the show -- a lot. I'm a fan of what these guys do, and I wrote the piece with that mindset.

I don't think I spent overmuch time concentrating on Skorpion and Makael's sexuality. The first third of the article described a scene from one of their recent videos. The last third described Skorpion's hopes for what the show can become. It was only in part of the middle third -- eight paragraphs, total -- that I discussed the issue of their sexuality. And of those eight paragraphs, five either quoted from or described videos Skorpion and Makael had made about those questions. (One of those videos, incidentally, had been viewed more than 47,000 times before I even wrote this story.) That's what these guys -- not me -- are putting out to the public.

(Continued)”

50. joeldermole said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 01:33PM

“Do I paint them as a couple of queens? I don't think so, but read what I wrote about that Beyonce video, watch the video and judge for yourself if I described it accurately. Do they talk about gay issues a lot? I linked to a few of the videos in which they do; and if you search "gay" on their YouTube site it turns up 16 videos -- it's not exactly a topic they're avoiding. Did I make them seem Beyonce-obsessive? Well, they've got 47 videos tagged with her name; I don't think it was a crazy observation on my part.

Are there other things they talk about besides celebrity gossip or gay issues or family? Sure. But Kevin was pretty clear that celebrity gossip was the core of his strategy to grow a bigger audience -- he talked about prepping for shows by reading theybf.com and mediatakeout.com -- which is why I focused on that aspect.

Like I said, I'm a fan of the show. I'm a fan of Skorpion, and I'm a fan of Makael. I hope they succeed, get rich and have folks at People and Entertainment Weekly writing about them in a couple of years. And I hope they -- and you -- will see this article for what it's meant to be: A chance to let a wider audience know that these guys are doing something really cool in Philly.

Thanks,
Joel Mathis”

51. Ashlii-Nichole said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 02:06PM

“WOW I am very shocked at this article. I have been watching the Skorpion Show like on the daily for about a month, and this is not how I interpret it at all .

The show is not at all based on homosexuality. In fact when I watch it, I don't even focus on the fact that they are gay. Makaels role on the show is not "the gyrating beyonce fan"... I believe this article was ridiculous, and incorrect. I can tell you haven't actually saw a full episode of the show, because you're obviously missing the point. And if new people watch the show after reading this article, they will feel very misled.

I think you owe it to them to write a new article. One that actually show's their intentions with the show. And actually tells their story. Because this article is just not it.”

52. Jasmine said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 02:31PM

“You didn't include facts in this article. I can't believe you depicted The Skorpion Show like this. How dare you? Get your stuff together, because if you don't your career will not go far.”

53. YBL said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 02:55PM

“Don't come for Makael and Kevin like this! I have seen finger popping sugar fueled teenage girls on youtube and they are NOT, I think you are confusing the SkorpionShow with some other youtube channels!”

54. stephanie0026 said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 02:57PM

“the skorpion show is one of the most positive and entertaining shows on YouTube today. The author should had used better wording then "snap happy" and sugar fueled teenage girls,when talking about two grown young men that trying to do something positive and inspire other youtubers to persue their dreams.”

55. ChanceViola said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 03:09PM

“I am unsatisfied with the article. As a frequent viewer of the show, I feel this article left out a lot. All this had done is highlight their sexuality instead of the actual goodness of the show. Basically, it seems like host and co-host are two gay drama queens blabbering away when in fact they are two very intelligent men whom never fails to make good points, arguments, and statements in their videos. Yes, they have their crazy sides, but that just makes it more fun.
I can see where you were going with this article, the points you made and how they were delivered kind of changes the perspective of the show. But re-wording it would be the better option.”

56. DKnox said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 03:16PM

“I can not believe this article. This clearly does not portray the many subjects that Skorpion discusses on his show. I rarely watch an episode if Beyonce' is in the title....and with that preference, I still manage to find plenty of fun discussions between Skorpion and his Co-Host. The writer is simply "playing" them. Trying to make Skorpion seem like a fame-hungry, mindless, beyonce-obsessed, stereotype which I find Skorpion to be not. I picture Skorpion one day hosting his own talk show (Tyra/Oprah format) on Logo really soon. This article does not display the variety, the seriousness, or the humor of this show...it basically picks on him along with his co-host and this is not right. What school of Journalism did this author receive his degree from? This article was not informative at all or allowed Skorpion to talk much...it sounds like an extended YouTube opinionated comment from two of Skorpion's hundreds of vids.....”

57. Deluxe Dave said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 03:17PM

“As an avid supporter and fellow You Tube blogger, I was very upset when I heard the words written in this article. I believe Skorpion and Makael do an excellent job on their videos, I've been following them for a year now and their inspiration and encouragement has always led me to continue to do what I do. For a person to twist words around like this and not put a positive light on the story is sickening and I would hope that you would have the decency to retract some of the statements you made in this article, or give him a chance to be interviewed in a Q&A form so his words can't be twisted.”

58. swiss girl said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 03:30PM

“I love the show because of its authenticity and honesty. Apparently the writer like fake people, well we don't.
Keep postin' Skorpion!”

59. SincereDreamsz said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 03:37PM

“honestly this writer has hiw own prejudices with being gay and cant get past that part! GROW THE HELL UP! THE END! I LOVE SKORPION AND MAKAEL! THEY MY BUDDIES!!!!”

60. SincereDreamsz said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 03:37PM

61. Beantown Key said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 03:47PM

“Joeldermole,
I hope you meant what you said in the above post. Honestly its sounds like your trying to do some damage control. Thats great if you meant it. If you didnt those 2 Queens just made you tuck your tail between your legs (no pun intended).

ehehehe”

62. Beantown Key said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 03:47PM

“Joeldermole,

ehehehe”

63. Beantown Key said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 03:53PM

“Joeldermole,
You have to admit that some of the language you used was chosen in an effort to drop hints about their sexuality. Dont play innocent. The title alone screams "Hey come read an article about Gays". Do not insult my intelligence.”

64. Beantown Key said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 03:53PM

“Joeldermole,

65. Christina said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 03:57PM

“I am very angry that this writer is putting Kevin and Makael out here like they are some snap happy gay men that talk about things that are not important...I feel like the point of this article was to bring there rep down!! I did not hear one good thing that he said about either one of them in this whole entire article!! Im very disappointed and I will always continue to support and be a fan of the Skorpion show..and Makael!!”

66. Deedee said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 04:03PM

“i love there shows, this artical is not is not cool at all and you know they put a video up about this. It's only right i would be pissed to but we love you in Nyc keep doing your thing guys =)”

67. nisha said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 04:03PM

“i love their show and watches it daily...they should get their own show!like come on,who doesnt know kevin and makael?everybody do,and they are the sh*t.... they are from philly and had came along way...i think they deserve to be on television doing something.why let good talent go to waste???i love those guys!”

68. TIA said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 04:23PM

“THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!! THEY DID THEM SO WRONG AND IF YOU WATCH THE SHOW ITS NOTHIN LIKE THAT...ALL OF HIS FOCUS WE ON THEM BEING GAY WHEN THE SHOW IS SO MUCH MORE THEN THAT”

69. Kevin&Makael4ever!!!! said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 04:29PM

“OMG!! I am so mad at this reporter!!! I live in San Diego, CA and absolutley love and adore these guys!!! WTF is your problem?? This article was unprofessional and just mean. WTF is wrong with you?? It seems your story was made to make fun of two young men w/ dreams of being successful? Well guess what, you just made them even more famous with this so kiss my a** and theirs. As Makael would say: "BYE GIRL, FLY GIRL!!" ass hole...”

70. Kevin&Makael4ever!!!! said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 04:29PM

71. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 04:38PM

“The Skorpion Show is one of my favorite subscriptions on Youtube. I was looking forward to reading this article. I read it and I am utterly DISGUSTED! Mr. Mathis, you should be ashamed of yourself. They were depicted as flamboyant, gay-gossiping buffoons in this article, which they are NOT. This article was written in very poor taste and should be rewritten correctly.”

72. Tia said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 04:43PM

“Love the skorpion show - hate the article.
This article doesn't even touch on what the show is about.

73. Thatskaylatoyou said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 04:55PM

“I think it is so sad how this guy totally made this article to be; he doesnt even have any of the accomplishments you both have made. Sorry guys, i still love yall!!!”

74. Thatskaylatoyou said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 04:55PM

75. Tia said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 04:59PM

“Okay Joel - so you decided to write an entire article about them being gay based off of 16 videos [in which they speak on gay issues]? Kevin and Makael have made hundreds of videos and you only speak on 16 ... lol, wow.

I think this article was a low blow to not only The Skorpion Show, but to the fans of The Skorpion Show. This was and still is extremely tacky. If you think that you've done a great job in regards to this article, I would hate to read your papers from high school. While doing reports did you totally go around the topic and only focus on a small aspect of it just as you did The Skorpion Show? Seriously ... this is sorry.”

76. ShayBoogie said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 05:17PM

“Did the writer of this article even look at more than one Skorpion show youtube video? It sure doesn't even seem like it. All the writer was talkin about was the Everything Beyonce video, and then he tried to disrespect Kevin's house! YOU SUCK WRITER! SHAME ON YOU. YOU NEED TO SAY SORRY!”

77. ms_ta_ta said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 05:44PM

“stop hatin' you wackass writer!!!! we love skorpion and makae no matter what there sexual preference is!!!!”

78. Skorpion said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 06:04PM

“You guys are so supportive and I thank you all. I wish you guys could see my family's face and the screams and motherfuckers Joel was. Joel did me dirty and he knows it. There are so many things he left out. There are 16 videos with gay in the but they are not all about gay topics. Beyonce is a hot topic so of course she will be talked about. Joel thank you for the exposure but FUCK YOU! And you recently just went on youtube channel to get your facts ABOUT MY TAGS.”

79. eguonoeduvie said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 06:13PM

“This article in NO way correctly depict The Skorpion Show......They both are strong intelligent black man, who keep all viewers entertained. Discussion and topic ranges from musician and gossip to more serious dynamic such as suicide and domestic violence.....They don't discuss their personal life....And while they are gay, they’re Not "finger snapping" and gyrating in the chair. This whole article in a misconstrue version of the Shorpion Show as well as what Kevin and Makael represent. ...I'm disappointed in this article and the obvious lack of professionalism The Philadelphia Weekly has shown.”

80. Christina from Chicago said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 07:00PM

“This is pure amateur journalistic trash. This author should only work for the tabloids where they might be appreciated. Why bothering even interviewing someone if you are just going to ridicule and down play their success. The only reason I even came to the website is because I was eager to see the Skorpion Show getting some well deserved publicity, but what was written was far from well deserved. Also how dare the author repeatedly call them school girls or suggest that his mother was growling, completely unacceptable. So, shame on the author for not only writing this garbage but for proudly displaying their name alongside it and shame on the publication for allowing the trash to be published. Special note to the author: You’ll never be able to make everyone happy but you should never be happy about downplaying someone else’s success just because you come up short in your own life.”

81. www.twitter.com/ahfstylist said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 07:44PM

“Joel Mathis,

I, Anthony Henderson Fashion Stylist to the stars LOVE THE SHOW!! And I thank this article is fuck up!!!!..........Kevin and Makael keep your head up.I'll see you guys at the top!!!!!!”

82. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 07:52PM

“wow. my comment was deleted.”

83. Bonnie said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 08:05PM

“I'm not even from this area. I just saw something about this on twitter. I've only seen a few of the skorpion show videos but from what I've seen this article doesn't capture the essence of what they're about. This article is horrible. It's not only horrible because it's negative and petty. It's just badly written. You focused completely on the topic of sexuality which is strange because I never even really thought about it when I saw them. I did realize that one of them was gay but that never seemed to be the main focus of their show. They don't only talk about gay issues. So I don't know if you (Joel Mathis) are some kind of homophobe, but if you are you need to get over it and not let it affect your work. Very unprofessional. When I first saw some lines from your article I thought Philadelphia Weekly would be some trashy little gossip tabloid. Come to find out it's an award winning newspaper? I'll be sending a message to the editor. I hope you personally correct the issue before things get out of hand.”

84. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 09:21PM

“I love this show and am a viewer, from the UK.
It's a shame that the reporter seemed so narrow minded, and failed to mention even half of the things Kevin and Makael do on the show (e.g. blog tv, live calls etc.).

I'm not sure what the reporter was trying to do or prove obviously doesn't watch the show and knows nothing about proper research!! Pathetic and need MAJOR corrrection, an embarrassment for Philadelphia Weekly!!!”

85. Crystal said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 09:53PM

“All the other fans of the Skorpion Show has clearly summed it up for you, this article is shot, The Skorpion Show is nothing like this reporter described. I watch this show daily and I am from Inglewood Ca. But I am so happy to see others come and back up prob. the best gossip news, and advice show around right now. And yes I pray that the Skorpion Show makes it big time.”

86. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 10:14PM

“This author is the biggest hater on EARTH!!!! He did not correctly predict the show or Kevin or Makael!”

87. Ashley-SEXIEGURL20 on Youtube.com said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 10:41PM

“I am subscribed to The Skorpion Show. U know what i hate how this persn really talked about Makeal and Skorpion like that. To him I say "FUCK U! EVA-DENT-LY U FUCKING GAY! HOLD, HOLD...I AIN'T BOUT TO GET ON UR LEVEL!! HOW DA FUCK U GONE DOWN THEM LIKE THAT? BUT U KNOW WHAT U GOT WHAT U ASK FOR AND NOW U DONE FUCKED UP!! U MIGHT-AS-WELL TAKE THIS SHIT OFF OF HERE CAUSE I KNOW U DONE GOT MORE FUCKED UP RESPONCES THAN MINE!!! FUCK DAT I LOVE THE SKORPION SHOW AND THAT'S THAT!!! I AIN'T BOUT TO LIKE U FUCK UP THESE PEOPLE LIKE THAT....IF U A FUCKING FAN THEN U KNOW THEY DID MORE SHOWS THEN WHAT DA FUCK U TALKED ABOUT!!! MAN U DNE GOT ME HEATED AND U LUCKY I DON'T EVEN STAY IN PHILADELPHIA...I WOULD FUCK U UP!! BELIEVE THAT...U A CAKE ASS DUDE FOR REAL...FUCK U JOEL MATHIS...YEAH I SAID IT!!!"”

88. Ashley-SEXIEGURL20 on Youtube.com said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 10:41PM

89. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2009 at 11:19PM

“pure ignorance. it seems like you were more focused on their sexuality then their show”

90. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 12:29AM

“not happy with this article! it sucks”

91. michael- youngsirgt on youtube said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 12:36AM

“This article did not do the show justice, it seemed like he was trying to throw shade at them wrather than expose us to them, i watch the skorpion show and it is rare that their sexuality or sexuality in general is the topic, this show focuses on so much more. he could have said something about some of the more serious topics and how those family members that he says enterupts the show often times gives advice that 2 me could rival Dr. Phil (shout out 2 mama skorpion). I don't know.... i just feel that as a person of the media you should have been more objective and not just focused on one aspesct of the show or one aspect of there life. I will say this, thanks for bringing light to talented people such as Kevin and Makael, but next time try not 2 be so shady in how you do it!!!”

92. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 12:36AM

“I have to admit, the article is not very accurate. Article FAIL.”

93. cegeorge said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 12:40AM

“woow!....Joel did the skorpian show soo wrong. wtf is this!”

94. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 12:45AM

“I just would like to know what your article was about, what insight was it supposed to offer to your viewers or readers for that matter. Depicting two males as "Snap Happy" is totally off based. You looked at the show for all the wrong reason and I bet you watched ONE VIDEO and made an ASSHOLES OPINION of the show. I would encourage you to rethink your article and maybe post something in there to clear this up because clearly you had no idea what the hell you were talking about.

You owe them an apology, but more importantly you need to apologize to homosexuals like myself and my partner for making us seems as if we are hip swinging, finger snapping, tongue lashing queens who do nothing but talk gossip, some of us unlike you know how to show our self to the public. You and your editor should be ashamed of yourself for allowing this bashing article to your public.

Im pretty sure you had thousands of emails like this, so I hope you listen to your PAYING customer and do yourself a paper and print your apology.”

95. DaJsetter said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 12:47AM

“OMG!!!! Like this is sooo much seems lik sum PEREZ HILTON shit,, tryin to down n dis people who is gettin to the money because they arent makin enough... They tryin to down Kael Kael n Skorpion for wat he think they doin wrong they aint doin wrong,, whoever created this shit need to be sued because this is sum hateful shit n i mean that.. U AINT GOT NOTHIN ELSE TO SAY NICE BOUT THEM CAUSE ONE AGAIN THEY GETTIN TO THE MONEY N ARE INSPIRED BY THE YOUNG COMMUNITY THAT U GO N PUT SUM SHIT LIK ThIS ONE The iNTErnet,, they wanted a good article, a great report and all u can say is how gay they r and wat they do,, ok we kno they gay, ok we kno who runs around the house, ok we knows wat goes on around there, but i dont think the whole fuckin UNITED STATES, CANADA UNITED KINGDOM, n PLANET EARTh,PLUTO,MARS,SATURN,JUPITER,NEPTUNE,MERCURY,VENUS,NETC wats to kno that much fuckin INFO,,, IM SO PISS I DONT EVEN REMEMBER WAT I PUT N THIS SHIT, but that was sum real real real real real SHADDY SHADDY SHADDY SHIT.... fuck off eho ever did they, they dont need cha for shit else that needs to be broadcast, thats why they have there own show... wat an ASSHOLE,, n A FUCKIN DICK SUCKER N RIDER...OMG BITCH”

96. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 01:58AM

“Actually, you described these guys perfectly. The reason you are getting all of these negative comments is that they have a bit of a campaign going on to encourage their fans to protest your perspective. They clearly have a distorted image of themselves and have yet to fully come to terms with their sexuality.”

97. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 05:14AM

“You got it right, they are finger snapping girly acting guys. Especially the FAT one, he always says that he keeps it real but when the REAL is brought to him he wants to cry like a little girl. The other one is OBSESSED with Beyonce, they can do a video not music related and he'll find a way to mention her or do the "Single Ladies" dance move ("Put a ring on it"). They are DISGUSTING and I see nothing wrong with what you wrote, LOL @ them thinking they're are some REAL Talk Show.. LOL!”

98. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 05:18AM

“I meant "they are", not "they're are".”

99. Rich C said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 05:35AM

“I think this is such garbage for an article. Why do people especially the news media always have to look negatively into somethinng that is actually a good thing. Why couldn't you just portray these guys in a positive light? What does their sexuality and personal preferences have to do with their show on Youtube? These 2 guys seem very real and have honest opinions about certain issues. Good Luck Kevin & Makael keep up the great work on Youtube! I really enjoy your show!”

100. da3bool said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 08:01AM

“Did the writer actually make an effort to interview them?! This article gives a bad impression of the show. The writer should have concentrated more on the show rather than their private life. I'm extremely disappointed with this”

101. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 08:46AM

“This article is so stupid!

and taken out of context!

the author is a hATER!”

102. Cincat said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 09:53AM

“Looks like the writer of this article really took the research aspect of his job very seriously. He took a couple of shows out of the 400 to choose from that centered on the "gay" article that he wanted to write and forgot all about the other great topics that have been discussed on the show. This show is so much more than two gay men sitting around gyrating and snapping while they talk about Beyonce. It gives lively debates on topics like religeon, relationships, suicide and family just to mention a few. He took the parts of the shows that are clearly the two young men joking about the stereotypical way that gays are depicted and made comments about them being like sugar fueled girls. These men are not the flamboyant personalities that you made them out to be, in fact I had watched many of there shows before I ever started thinking they may be gay. Anyone who is reading these comments that has not seen the show should really watch it and don't let the author of this article color your judgement because the show is excellent. You might be surprised by some of their views on topics like religeon and their acceptance of other people's views as well.”

103. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 10:56AM

“I'm sorry folks, but I am a subscriber to the Skorpion show and I am also a Gay man (from NYC, but I still hang in Philly). I watch the show every day. There was nothing in the article that was salacious or unrepresentative of the show. The house IS cramped (all them damn kids running around)... "I don't live there either, Makael"... Kevin does live with his mother (who is a star in her own right)... Skorpion and Makael ARE campy... and they ARE “Ghettofabulous”... that is why I watch it (AND LOVE IT). It reminds me of the “kids” on the Christopher Street piers. It has been a Destiny’s Child/Beyonce lovefest almost every day they have filmed together recently, especially since Michelle, Kelly, Solange, et. al., have contacted the boys via Twitter. Their debates,” on the other hand, are often inane and sometimes painful to watch (especially the show about Gay marriage, but hey, I chalk that up to youth). Instead of taking offense, you should revel in all that makes you unique and remember you have swagger and fierceness just by being you. Luv y’all, but Joel Mathis hit the nail on the head 1,000 times.”

104. SHERRICA M. said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 11:11AM

“I'M SO DISAPPOINTED ABOUT THIS INTERVIEW! THAT IS NOT HOW KEVIN &MIKAEL ARE !THEY ARE NOT SNAPPING FINGER SISSYS!THEY PUT SMILES ON PEOPLES FACES EVERYDAY THATS WHAT U SHOULD HAVE WROTE BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY DO,THEY MAKE FAN CALLS,THEY TALK ABOUT THE PRESIDENT,EVEN RELIGIOUSTHINGS SO GET YOUR STORY TOGETHER BEFORE U SAY BASHFULL THINGS ABOUT THESE TWO!”

105. opinionthatmatters said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 11:17AM

“this writer knew exactly what he was doing! in the end he will reap what he sows....”

106. Tia said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 12:38PM

“To the anonymous commenter that enjoyed the article. You have your own opinions, likes and dislikes, and that's fine. I'm sure Joel and a few others are glad that you enjoyed this. BUT, I think that the main problem with this article to most of us that absolutely disliked this article is that Joel interviewed Kevin and Makael. He asked questions and led Kevin to believe that he gathered facts about how the show got started, the positive things about the show, the amount of subscribers, the amount of views, etc.

None of that information was put into the article. Sure, this was "entertaining," but much of the "entertainment" is made up of lies. They aren't snap happy and they shouldn't be categorized under the "Queer Issue" - it's rude and hurtful.

If this journalist is as talented as he is in regards to his fictitious creative writing, he should have been able to write and honest article that depicts the skorpion show for what it really is and make that article equally as "entertaining".”

107. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 01:06PM

“Tia - I appreciate your point of view as well. I believe that this was more of a Human Interest piece (which I would think is Philadelphia Weekly's forte) and not a hard-hitting news piece. I do understand how some of the Skorpion Show fans felt disappointed. I just fail to see how Joel (I do not know him) did not tell the truth in an article that was less than 600 hundred words long. If it were a longer piece I would be more inclined to agree that more background information would have given the reader a better sense of who they are. BUT if I had never seen the show, I would have tuned in just to see if they were as funny as the article says... which they are... as well as thought provoking... I appreciate the fact that they are addressing issues that young people need to talk about... AND they ARE Queer (sorry Makael) and there is NOTHING wrong with that (in one of the latest episodes they are constantly calling each other gurrrl and bitch). I could be wrong but I don't know many straight men that do that. Thanks for the convo Tia - Let's both keep watching and enjoying them. PEACE”

108. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 01:40PM

“i'm a fifty year old woman, i love the Skorpion show. I think Makael and Kevin work very well together, this show makes my day. Joel what you wrote was wrong, but that's ok because you'll just make them stronger. I'm sure your false article did'nt hurt Philadelphia weekly much, since i'm sure this is the most that anyone has commented to the paper.”

109. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 04:07PM

“sounds like your bashing them for being gay!!!! Joel Mathis you suck!!!”

110. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 04:57PM

““sounds like your bashing them for being gay!!!! Joel Mathis you suck!!!”
Prime example of an asshole”

111. angry said... on Apr 30, 2009 at 10:02PM

“the show is great,,,,the article is not!!!! they have too many topics to choose from that are positive. stupid stupid stupid....i hate people trying to make someone look bad when they see them doing good. point blank false article....”

112. Ashland said... on May 1, 2009 at 01:17AM

“i didnt even brother to read this whole article because of the title, but i love the show, its great its funny its refreshing. i think the chubby kid is so cute....lol and the bald one is hilarious..

but why are you hating on these kids, there having fun...dont you know your president is black you idiot...and you trying to bring them down...up lift. they doing somting productive they aint out here robbing your punk ass

this article has alot of BITCH ASS NESS IN it

lol”

113. NewOrLeaNzbaBy03 said... on May 1, 2009 at 05:48AM

“I am a fan of The Skorpion Show, and it is very unfortunate that this article went the way it went. Mr. Mathis, I suggest you redo or publicly apologize for shining that unwanted light on them about their personal/sexual preference. This article wasn’t a disappointment to not only the guys but to the audience who supports them.”

114. jex said... on May 1, 2009 at 09:58PM

“What a typical example of a journalist writing taking a story and filling it with the most obvious clichés and misconceptions that clearly come from him. This ''journalist'' had the opportunity to write a great story here. Two young males, conducting a "hot topic" like show right from the dinning room of a North Philadelphia home. The fact that their fan base stretches from Canada to London and the fact that they have achieved over 6 Million views was completely ignored!! They have even managed to catch the attention of a few celebrities who are now faithful viewers!
What a shame that journalists like this still find their way into news organizations. What a very lazy article. He could just have stayed home and wrote this article- there is no journalism here.”

115. Anonymous said... on May 1, 2009 at 11:44PM

“let's get this straight Mr.Mathis, what exactly was your goal when writing this article? Whether you stand by your article or not, there is no way you can say that you intentionally didn't mean to display this show in a negative perspective. But 4 sum reason, I heard you WERE sticking to what you said, so, here's my question...are you admitting your illiteracy as well? how long have you've been writing? probably longer than Skorp has been on youtube;wonder who has the most viewers and subscribers? Are you mad that Skorp probably makes more money than you, and all he has to do (if he wanted to) is talk out his ass, while you spend countless hours trying to make an interesting story, that still lacks, especially in grammar! Are you afraid that your job is at risk, because newspaper sales are decreasing dramatically, because of the use of technology! Skorp, must not be as low-tech after all. You must work for mediatakeout.com. dipicting two young black males, who could be a product of their enviroment, but choose not to, as nothing but sugar-fueld girls! You think that you embarassed skorp and Makeal? maybe you did, but you fool! can't you see that you made the bigger fool in yourself!”

116. Anonymous said... on May 1, 2009 at 11:44PM

117. BKBOUND said... on May 2, 2009 at 06:30AM

“GREAT article....I agree with EVERYTHING u said. As a matter of fact, they have a video posted about having 9000 subscribers, at the end of that video, they start to make jokes about Queen Latifah posing for Playboy and her being BIG. When Skorpion's Mother comes in to DEFEND big women, and says that Latifah has a shape, Makael goes on to say, "Yeah, for a FAT FARM" then they laugh histerically!
Now, how can someone who is GAY and goes thru these same kind of TAUNTS, SCRUTINY, JOKES about them being Gay, take NEGATIVE jabs at Big women, maybe no one has told them that it's also a form of DISCRIMINATION. They are 2 WANNA-BE SUPERSTARS whose has ALOT to learn before they think they can venture out into this world of CELEBRITY and have SIDEWAY comments like that about ANYONES size, gender, talent,etc....Hopefully to ALL their subscribers/fans who has that Queen Latifah body type won't feel so INSULTED by 2 Gay guys who thinks it's cute to make fun/jokes at larger size women!”

118. BKBOUND said... on May 2, 2009 at 06:30AM

119. Rebeldreadgirl said... on May 2, 2009 at 09:13AM

“To Bkbound:
So what if they say something about fat women. I am fat and I love that show. They talk about skinny, dumb, old whatever everyday. Thats has nothing to do with this article being all GAYED UP and misrepresenting what the show is really about.
You are probably the writer of this lame article in disquise, loser.”

120. Sholaa said... on May 2, 2009 at 01:16PM

“In some ways I feel this was a very unfair article to TheSkorpion show but as you know there is no mercy in journalism! what won't break will make you stronger Makael and Skorpion. The article is very one dimensional, shallow and does not really take other perspectives about the show into consideration. Yes they did say all those things in their videos but what about the other videos where they talked about contemporary and important issues like abortion, HIV AIDS, religion and long distant relationships? none of that was incorporated into this article. Thank you to the author of this article for at least acknowledging the existence of TheSkorpion show. It is very much appreciated.”

121. BKBOUND said... on May 2, 2009 at 04:20PM

“@RebelDEADgirl

GIRL PUH-LEASE!!!!

I'm just not someone who's STALKING a NOBODY on Youtube sweetie!

PICK YOUR LIFE UP and KEEP IT MOVING.....Ur an ANONYMOUS NOBODY sweetie! LMAO!”

122. Tracy said... on May 2, 2009 at 04:28PM

“I actually had no idea that these two even existed until I read the article. I did not find the article particularly offensive because I'd never seen them before. I logged on to YouTube to check them out and I love them! While the article, now having watched a few episodes, is somewhat inaccurate, shouldn't do them any harm. It is giving them exposure at any rate. I am now a subscriber thanks to the article. Publicity is publicity. They shouldn't concern themselves with any negativity the writer put out there. Obviously there are people who will watch and enjoy the show regardless. It's entertaining, informative and real. Way to go guys! It's nice to see and hear some good coming out of Philly with all the negative happening here these days!! I am looking forward to seeing alot more of you in the future!”

123. Chevas Vandelivechi said... on May 2, 2009 at 10:04PM

“Whoever wrote this article do not do a very honest job in portraying the hosts of the skorpion show. The writer seems like a competent writer, but has no clue on how to focus on any other topic than their sexuality. I think it would be in the writer's best interest to release a retraction or at least a public apology to the skorpionshow, Mr. Makael and Mr. Kevin. It is not right nor fair to depict two young men who have so much beauty, intelligence, and style as "sugar filled teenage girls". You did not show either young man nor the skorpion show in a progressive light. Instead, you focused on one area and pain-stakingly elaborated on it throughout the entire article. The people at PW should think multiple times before letting you write any article again...”

124. Yasmine said... on May 3, 2009 at 11:36AM

“I find this article quite funny actually, everyone has their take on the show. I love the show personally, but when I showed my friend one of my favorite videos she was taken back by the way they acted out. I love these guys, their opinions are hilarious and common amongst the viewers, its all about the way they axpress their opinions though. They dare to be different and not hold anything back, saying things people are afraid to is what we are missing on TV. It seems everyone in the world is walking on egg shells and watching this show for me brings out the obvious but in a lighthearted manner. They are not trying to be offensive, that is not their intention.

This article was a little rude at the start I have to admit, the part about them "cramming" in Simmons house etc. Some people are small-minded like that, but you cannot complain because this is the journalists take on the show, you cannot expect everyone to love you, their will be people that are not feeling you too.

Big up to Scorpion and Makael - great show (People in the theatre to watch Madea was my favorite)”

125. Yasmine said... on May 3, 2009 at 11:36AM

126. Anonymous said... on May 3, 2009 at 02:46PM

“i seen a few episodes on line and yes i agree with the article, the few shows ive seen yes they were snapping and acting like your typical show. there very ghetto , foul and your typical homo thugs. it disgust me to see grown men act like teenage girls squealing over celebrities such as beyonce liike teenage girls, the truth hurts and this article was very dead on. yall are men, start acting like men instead of lil bitches.... eww
someone tell that fat ass kid that looks like an over weight chipmunk to put some lotion on”

127. Indo2002 said... on May 5, 2009 at 07:34AM

“I'm a Skorpian Show subscriber and I've been watching and enjoying the show for a few months now. I must say that the show is very entertaining to me. Kevin, Makael, and all the show's fans do not be upset with this article. All the writer did by writing this article is boost the popularity of your show! I am sure there are individuals that never heard of the show and after reading the article are now curious about the Skorian Show.

Kevin and Makael, watch and see how your fanbase grows after this.

128. Anonymous said... on May 5, 2009 at 04:10PM

“PhillySkorpion needs to stop, he is all over Xtube getting f***ed in a club bathroom to Mary J. Blidge's Just Fine. With that $1500 a month, Ms. Honey will be able to afford a circumcision.”

129. Anonymous said... on Sep 14, 2010 at 04:18PM

“OH HEEEEEEEELLLL NO! WHO DA FUCK DO YALL THINK YOU IS~ lol but really who do ya'll think you are to be posting ridicoulis things like that so the public can see ??? like really i mean i've NEVER heard of this place here where im typing BUT HELLO it makes YOU ridiculous not THEM! okay bye girl fly girl!”

130. Monique1974 said... on Apr 26, 2011 at 05:53PM

“I'm originally from Brooklyn, New York, but now I live in Nashville, TN. I just recently started watching, "The Skorpion Show" and I love it! I love the topics and their chemistry. I could have sworn that they grew up together. They seem very close and comfortable with each other. I like how "realistic" the setting is, even with family members walking back and forth behind them. Lol. It gives it a very relaxed and "homey" feel to the atmosphere. Their not afraid to speak their minds, and that's what I love about them. Keep up the good work Kevin and Makael!”

131. @heartcalibe said... on May 14, 2012 at 12:30PM

“This is the reductionist analysis of a complex show and its hosts. In your future articles, I hope you give the people more. Expand on the social, and cognitive benefits and disadvantages of the show and focus less on trite, peripheral subject matter. - Kelly”

132. Anonymous said... on Apr 19, 2013 at 05:48PM

“Im a straight male and i watch their show and they funny guys.........shouldnt matter to us if they gay or not”

Best Bi
By Steven Wells

Steven Wells kicks off PW's Queer Issue with an announcement: He has kissed a boy, and he liked it. What makes him different from other men? He's willing to admit it.

Robe Trotter
By Tara Murtha

Judge Daniel Anders may be the most well-known personality in the least-known political campaign in Philadelphia. On top of his regular judicial schedule, Anders is flying in full campaign mode, running ragged from one event to another throughout the city while seeking a 10-year seat on Philadelphia’s Court of Common Pleas. He’s also running as the city’s first openly gay judge.

RELATED: The Queer Issue

Keys of Life
By Catherine Caperello

As a transsexual African-American female organist, Desiree Hines has encountered her fair share of discrimination in a field dominated by white men. But along her rough road she’s developed a commitment to visibility. The director of the Traverse Arts Project (TAP)’s upcoming LGBT festival, Hines sat down to talk with PW about her long journey.

Gay Agenda
By Daniel Denvir

There’s a rich history of queer activism here. But now, outside of friendly enclaves like Philly, it’s still perfectly legal in Pennsylvania to fire someone or deny someone housing because they are gay or transgendered.