Black Officers Sue PPD for Domelights.com Racism

There's a lot of bitching and moaning at Domelights' message boards about the suit and the assault on free speech. And being free speech fans around here, normally we'd be inclined to agree. Except for one thing.

By Joel Mathis
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 34 | Posted Jul. 16, 2009

From the Inquirer:

An association of black police officers sued the Philadelphia Police Department in federal court yesterday for allowing its officers to post “blatantly racist, anti-minority, disgusting and offensive” content on a popular website devoted to law enforcement topics.

The suit says that domelights.com, which bills itself as “the voice of the good guys,” was founded and is moderated by an active duty Philadelphia police sergeant who uses the name “McQ” in his postings.

The league said that white police officers post and moderate the site while on duty, sometimes in front of black officers.

There's a lot of bitching and moaning at Domelights' message boards about the suit and the assault on free speech. And being free speech fans around here, normally we'd be inclined to agree. Except. If white officers really are using taxpayer-funded time to post rants to Domelights -- well, they don't have the right to exercise their First Amendment rights at all time when they're on the job. And if the brass hasn't been, um, policing this situation, well, it's about time they start.

Anyhow, we'll leave you with some "voices of the good guys" at Domelights responding to the suit:

__________

1ST I.D. COP Today, 01:06 PM

Don't forget, you only have a freedom of speech if you dont offend anyone that isnt a white, male heterosexual christian. Bilal can kiss my ass. Read the 1st Ammendment sweetheart!

CODE3 Today, 01:08 PM

I'd say Fock her, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone, even enlightened.

1ST I.D. COP Today, 01:19 PM

I just watched the news clip on fox's website. It says that the lawsuit states that this speech isnt protected by the First Ammendment. If thats so scumbags like the KKK, black Panthers, Aryan Nation, Michael Crook,MSNBC (sorry. Couldnt resist!) etc. would have never existed. How is what we say here NOT protected? And if for some unknown reason the GCL wins, who gets the money? Does every black cop in the PPD get a cut of that? All this does is get the GCL more free publicity from the worthless media in this city.

CODE3  Today, 01:43 PM

The only victim here is McQ. Let's not forget that. He is a victim of a rabid whore* who will say and do anything to get her butt-ugly face onto my television.

FirePoliceToday, 02:00 PM

If this lawsuit is successful then I want to see every minority RUN to the shady lawyer of their choice and sue the KKK, nazi party and every other hate group for offending material.

Yes some of the banter on this site can get testy, but when a cop/fireman/emt is on the street and needs help, Everyone comes to help them. Regarless of color. I have never read a post on this site that says don't help minorities.

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Jul 16, 2009 at 05:18PM

“this is to all the people who thinks being a officer of the law and making racist statements are ok .this is not and if you feel that way your in the wrong proffession . this is what made this country the way it was years ago .so if you feel that way dont hide it on a blog man up and let us all know who you are .”

2. RC5505 said... on Jul 17, 2009 at 08:09AM

“Number one, how can you tell someone to tell you who they are? Aren't you posting as anaonymous?

Cops have a tough job. Everyone is rasict to an extent, EVERYONE.”

3. Anonymous said... on Jul 17, 2009 at 08:18AM

“Anyone can post a comment on this website. I am not a Phila Police Officer. How is the PPD getting sued??? Also, PLEASE show me a post that isn't true. Have you watched the 11:00 o'clock news Philadelphia???”

4. Anonymous said... on Jul 17, 2009 at 02:35PM

“shame shame shame in 2009”

5. Anonymous said... on Jul 17, 2009 at 02:45PM

“BECAUSE COPS HAVE A TOUGH JOB, THEREFORE ITS OK TO BE A RACIS?.EVERY ONE IS NOT A RACIST TO ANY EXTENT.”

6. Anonymous said... on Jul 17, 2009 at 02:49PM

“Domelights has harassed me for years. They just dont quit..like a game of little boys playing on the computer. They love to harass woman too (sexist)! and anyone who doesnt agree with their point of view! McQ knows who his members are and their real names. That from when they joined up! They should treat people how they would want to be treated! Most of the good police had enough of that site years ago..when a flock of non cops surfed in and took root! The site got stupid and reminded me of grade school with their rude post. Most PPD officers know not to go there and post, many have been threatened and harassed that went on to the job. That is police of all colors for posting a message. If you are not in the Ole Boys Club of Domelights then you are doomed!”

7. TAX PAYOR said... on Jul 17, 2009 at 03:03PM

“EVERYONE IS NOT A RACIST TO ANY EXTENT.THAT IS ONLY AN EXCUSE TO DISCRIMENATE TOWARD OTHERS.JESUS SAID LOVE EVERYBODY.”

8. watermelon man said... on Jul 17, 2009 at 06:57PM

“DO YOU HAVE YOUR PITCHFORK WITH YOU?”

9. tru said... on Jul 18, 2009 at 03:16AM

“You all should honor your mother and father, which are black people . I hate when you conservatives bring religion into your racist ideals,knowing jesus was a liberal and you're not following into his footsteps. No racism in the so-called after life , which is your heaven with no people of color, yeah right!!!!!!!!! People of color out number you 17-1.”

10. CJ said... on Jul 19, 2009 at 05:54PM

“These black cops are racist. WAAAAA.. go cry somewhere else. Do your job good, quit whining about what color you are or aren't. F off you crybabies.”

11. Henry said... on Jul 19, 2009 at 06:00PM

“SO Many Anti-White racists on here, and in this city is a joke. go better yourself, stop begging for a handout. Be proud of your merit, not cause you whined til some group you didn't like got off the air? NAACP is RACIST. BET is racist...Sharpton is racist..when can I march on them??? Hypocrites.”

12. fascinating said... on Jul 21, 2009 at 08:39AM

“I find it interesting that the paper goes through and picks out all of the deragatory statements made on the site. I don't post on the site often, but I do read it and MOST of the posters are NOT racist and rude. It is a forum where PPD vents their frustrations, so it can be a litle colorful, but I would say most of the posters are NOT racist.
ALSO, wouldn't the first logical step be to complain to the moderator? NOT file a lawsuit?

13. Lolita Hansen said... on Jul 21, 2009 at 12:11PM

“2009, and as the human race we STILL have not come very far..have we?”

14. Bruce Bean said... on Jul 21, 2009 at 02:13PM

“Racism is a system. When police officers, who are sworn to protect our system of life, are racist they become an extension of that system. Police officers are allowed to have their own personal opinions, but they cannot spout nonsense under the cover of their badge. It is unethical and just plain wrong. If an officer has these racist leanings he should be fired immediately. The same goes for teachers, firefighters and others who serve the greater good.”

15. lalaw9833 said... on Jul 22, 2009 at 09:02AM

“I guess some people posting here believe it is okay for these officers to express their racist opinions on this site. Just remember that when another police officer in this city goes down in the line of duty and the general public thinks nothing of it, because of the overall perception that the cops' in this town are all corrupt, or racist, or just plain ignorant.”

16. just black said... on Jul 22, 2009 at 10:23PM

“this is exactly the reason why my son went to live with his dad in another state because of the same people who we teach him to trust&respect don't like him because of his race is so damn dumb!!! i have family&freinds who are cops but I STILL DON'T BELIEVE THAT THIS IS RIGHT TO THE DUMB ASS COWARDS WHO STARTE DTHIS SHIT SHOW YOUR FACE BE MEN OR WOMAN WITH FFREE SPEACH COMES RESPONSIBILITY THIS IS SOME EDUCATION FOR KIDS(NOT) BY THE WAY I'AM BLACK WITH TWO CHILDREN 1 IS GRADUATING FROM COLLEGE AND THE OTHER STARTING HIGH SCHOOL SO THAT STERO TYPE THAT BLSCK WOMAN HAVE ON US IS WRONG I'AM A NURSE MAKING MORE MONEY THAN THE COWARDS WHO TALK SHIT BEHIND THE SCENE SGTS. MAKE WHAT$17 AN HR. I MAKE $35 OVERTIME$45 SO BEFORE YOU TALK THAT DUMB RACE STUFF AGAIN THINK OF WHO YOU HURT!!!!”

17. RYAN said... on Jul 22, 2009 at 10:28PM

“I just saw this on the news. This is so stupid. All a colored person has to do is squeal like a pig and the white establishment(new media, political powers) bend over backwards to get them to shut up. I am tired of colored people and these silly antics. The ultimate plan is to move away from communitty's that are majority colored(blacks) and leave them to govern and run there own racist selves. my feeling to lalaw9833 is if you don't like a website go start one of your own or find one that is more in line with your beliefs. There are trillions and trillions of websites there must be one that suites your needs.”

18. Anonymous said... on Jul 23, 2009 at 12:07PM

“Is there a such thing as a "White Police Officers Orginization"? Talk about racism! Why do they always have to segregate themselves? Thats racist!!”

19. BILLY PILGRAM said... on Jul 23, 2009 at 04:19PM

“When the police come into your house saying they have a body warrant, you let them look around. But what do you do when one of the officers robs your money that was hidden under the mattress?
Who do you go to when the cops rob you?”

20. lalaw9833 said... on Jul 23, 2009 at 05:19PM

“Hey Ryan, do you still live in the '60s, because the term "colored" went out with Bull Conner and the rest of his ilk. Apparently you, CJ, Henry, and a few anonymous types here are brave enough to use certain words and terms from behind the cloak of the computer screen. You guys are cowards, just like your hooded buddies on Domelights. You cannot run away from your ignorance; you need to face it and deal with the world as it is. I am tired of ignorant, sorry-ass grayboys like you who would not dare to look me in the eye and tell me to my face what you post here. I think the ultimate plan for you slugs is to take your narrow asses out to the desert and put you on reservations you like your forefathers did to the Native Americans. You cannot take claim to shit! Same for CJ and Henry as well. Don't like what I have to say, then we can talk about it FACE TO FACE...IF YOU DARE!”

21. BILLY PILGRAM said... on Jul 24, 2009 at 09:47AM

“I don't support racist/bigots or people who call cops pigs.
I do support freedom of speech nomatter how tasteless and Low Class it might be.
I.m totally against anybody or any government that wants to censor or remove this site from the internet.”

22. Juris D said... on Jul 24, 2009 at 02:29PM

“I fall on the Free Speech side. I am (or was, now that the reverse bigots succeeded in suspending the site) a Domelights poster, and I'm not a cop, and I was regularly targeted for my less-than standard Conservative opions. But my response wasn't to ever try and shut the idiots up or try and have the site shut down - my response was to offer MORE Free Speech against the small-minded morons. That is, offensive and insuting speech should be countered with MORE speech, not less.

The anti-Domelights campaign is strictly a one man (or woman, wait, man..) launched by the GCL's Rochelle Bilal simply because some goofs chose the annonymity of the Domelights slate to insult her, And while at first I did not afree with those goofs opinions, I I felt that Bilal was a decent person and cop, turns out they were likely more riight about her than I was,

I look froward to the return of Domelights some day soon.”

23. lalaw9833 said... on Jul 24, 2009 at 05:04PM

“Yeah Juris D, I remember you from the site. You seemed to be one of the more level-headed types. But this issue has more to do with the attitudes and mindset of those who post their racist and ignorant insights, and then disguise themselves as public servants. You are not an officer, I used to be one. Scary to know that some of the people I used to work with feel the way they do, but are cowards for not coming out with their beliefs. I would rather a guy tell me to my face how he feels about me and my race as opposed to hiding behind a screen name. I remember the first time I read some of the ignorance when the school board made African American History madatory for all high schoolers. The comments posted then were more reserved for the Klan in the fifties and sixties. As far as Rochelle Bilal goes, if you do not know her, then you should not say anything about her. She has done more to make the department better than most people will ever know.”

24. lalaw9833 said... on Jul 24, 2009 at 05:15PM

“Hey iceman, who's "we"? Are "we" in the same club that does not believe the holocaust ever took place? Are "we" the same idiots who, like hitler and the Nazis', believed the Jews and other ethnic groups were "inferior"? Do you know what a "spook" is? Do your half-breed momma and drunk-ass daddy give you a clue? Freedom of speech does not give you the freedom to be an asshole! No doubt you are one of the very cowards we speak of who would never say these things to anyone's face.”

25. P/O Charles Bucceroni #4269 Tour of Duty 1993-2003 said... on Jul 24, 2009 at 07:37PM

“The GCL President Bilal gets a two thumbs down for this move.

She has a right and duty to report misconduct in the workplace.... She must have forgotten that she is a professional police officer employed by the PPD which is a para-military organization with rules, regulations and policies to follow and respect. She should have filed a EEOC complaint and let the investigation run its course. I can only conclude that she has no respect for rules or the PPD ability to investigate this matter when she decided to take matters into her own hands and run to the news media....
Just to get her face on TV and stir the already troubled relations between the police department and the community.

I question her leadership abilities as president of the GCL. A true leader thinks before they act!!!!!!

26. P/O Charles Bucceroni #4269 Tour of Duty 1993-2003 said... on Jul 24, 2009 at 08:35PM

“Lalaw 9833,

During my tenure with the PPD I had a chance to see Officer Bilal at different police funtions. I never worked with her on the job. She seemed to be a decent person. When she decided to act out and run to the news media every chance she could about another police officer being fired over racial accusations or about racial tension within the department is when I began to loose respect for her and her leadership abilities as the GCL President. The PPD has no room for racism.... She has a responsibility to act professional at all times. That means not to run to the news media and rant about race issues within the department. It makes us all look bad. I do get disgusted when she keeps refering to a past racist police department while talking about current PPD issues. I feel statements like that hurt the image of todays PPD and stirs mistrust in the black community towards white police officers -- many whom are decent hardworking cops trying to make a difference.

27. Juris d said... on Jul 24, 2009 at 09:47PM

“Same Internet - different morons.
Those of us look at this medium of communication as an exercise in entertainment and Free Speech will NEVER esacpe the no-life, no-balls, Internet-muscle morons. These are the same types who used to write on the bathroom walls in grade school.

Domelights was chock-filled with these e-tough guys, most of whom would run and hide from a real fight in person. Personally, I have not the time nor the inclination to continue to suffer these coward retards any more. They can continue to keep throwing their imagined image around, while masturbating to thoughts of their own mother at night.

Good luck to all.

28. P/O Charles Bucceroni #4269 Tour of Duty 1993-2003 said... on Jul 25, 2009 at 07:37AM

“For me -- Domelights.com was a good site to get valuable information and stay in touch with current PPD issues. I met McQ and thought he was a good man trying to provide a web site blog that everyone can join and post their thoughts and opinions about PPD issues. Some postings were ignorant and disturbing, much like the postings here! Maybe GCL President Bilal should shut this blog site down too... There is no-proof that Domelights was being moderated in the workplace... knor was there any proof that cops were reading or posting offensive material in the workplace. Domelights is not a racist site.. some people do post offiensive material just like they post here. I think the law suit was premature and frivolous and could have been handled in-house 1st. This is all about her ego and her feelings getting hurt because some ignorant poster said something negative about her after she got her mug on TV when there was no reason to do so.”

29. Anonymous said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 01:13PM

“The black community is longer trusting white officers, well geez when did that happen, it's 2009 wake up you fucking idiot, we ain't never trusted white cops your not here to protect us black folks, were banana eating jungle monkeys according to some of your bretheren to the north ( Boston ppd).”

30. P/O Charles Bucceroni #4269 Tour of Duty 1993-2003 said... on Jul 31, 2009 at 06:45AM

“How unfortunate for you...... Two wrongs don't make a right! People should be judge based on their actions and not their race. I can not change the world and neither can you, but we can make a small difference while were here. I served the community for a long time and helped a great many people when they needed help. I'm sorry your encounters with the police (Boston) were negative. Next time you have an encounter with a police officer (white) give him/her a chance and don't be so quick to judge -- that only can be counter-productive.”

31. JoAnne,Proud wife of a great PO said... on Sep 11, 2009 at 04:21AM

“My husband has been a police officer for 12 yrs. I am highly offended and embarrassed for these moronic cops who cry racism, the arrest reports do not lie, the news does not report on innocent black men, for the armed robberies, burglary, home invasions, and murders that our committed in this city! The truth is the truth! So instead of bitching we are racist,why don't you unite with your brothers and sisters with whom you share this job with, and take care of our city's problems as THE PHILADELPHIA POLICE DEPARTMENT! Not the black police and the white police, what about the hispanic,asian, and all the females, they don't cry racism or sexism,wanting entire websites shut down! And if you don't want to go work side by side with your fellow officers as one elite unit, then go volunteer somewhere with these young men and teach them to be the best they can be, so they can learn a better way! Maybe then they will no longer be the topic of our right to free speech!”

32. 302'd Corp said... on Dec 3, 2009 at 04:47PM

“Anything about how the lawsuit is going? Since Bilal got what she wanted (site shutdown), I guess the GCL is negotiating some money from the city. They'll get some too. You know the lawyer she hired isn't going to let this go
until he gets paid. Stinking shyster.
I think I'll buy the site Domelights.com, since McQ had to let it go.
Then I'll reopen it as it was, and let anyone come after me.”

33. Ret. Lawman said... on Dec 8, 2009 at 06:14PM

“This is my first visit to this site and only became aware of it's existence through The Intelligence Report of The Southern Poverty Law Center. As I read the posts I assumed from police officers, I was appalled! The hatred spewed was unbelievable from sworn protectors and preservers of the law.
Children of all ethnicity's are born pure and innocent, without hatred, bias or prejudices. These offensive attitudes can only be attributed to the negative parental indoctrination from early childhood continuing through advanced maturation. What we've experienced with terrorists that sacrifice their lives with self detonating bombs and hijacked airplanes were also indoctrinated from youth. The ultimate adult manifestation, resulting in the pathetic, obnoxious, denigrative postings. Sad but true, where ignorance is tolerated, intelligence cannot prevail.
It makes me wonder about those I'd worked along side for many years, did they harbor such unspoken, hidden hatred?”

34. Edgar R. Huff, Jr. said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 01:23AM

“Blacks are really being mistreated; look what I had to do in North Carolina
"Black Male Nurse Sues Hospital for $10 Million"

January 17, 2010 12:48 AM
LINDELL KAY

Hubert man who claims to have been wrongfully terminated after a patient said he sexually assaulted her is suing Duplin General Hospital for $10 million.
“I was discriminated against because I was a black male nurse,” Edgar Huff told The Daily News on Friday.
In a lawsuit filed last month in Onslow County Superior Court, Huff claims a patient erroneously accused him of inappropriately touching her breasts in November 2008 and the hospital fired him without a proper investigation.
The Duplin County Sheriff’s Department charged Huff with sexual battery in December 2008.
Huff said he was locked up and had to sell his dead father’s watch, a family heirloom, to pay $300 to a bail bondsman to get out of jail.
He was found not guilty of the misdemeanor criminal charge by a N.C. District Court judge in February.
The lawsuit claims the hospital maliciously prosecuted Huff, abused the justice process leading to Huff’s false imprisonment and defamed Huff, preventing him from finding gainful employment.
“I had to go through three long months suffering mental anguish, loss of dignity and low self-esteem,” he said. “I had to worry night and day about the possibility of being put on the sex offenders list for 10 years, giving my DNA, fearing losing my nurses license and worrying that I may be incarcerated for years for something I did not do.”
The lawsuit also claims the hospital was slow in paying Huff accrued vacation and holiday pay.
Detailed messages left by The Daily News with hospital officials were not returned.
The N.C. Employment Security Commission ruled that Huff “was discharged but not for misconduct or substantial fault connected with work.”
In July, the N.C. Board of Nursing ruled that there was no “clear and convincing” evidence Huff had violated any standards of the Nursing Practice Act.
In an April letter to the hospital’s human resources department, Huff’s attorney, Jacksonville lawyer Ernie Wright said Huff was the subject of race and gender discrimination under Section 1981 of the Civil Rights Act of 1866.
“My client believes his bogus prosecution and subsequent harassment were racially motivated,” Wright stated. “As such, he fears coming back to work at Duplin General Hospital and will be seeking unlimited compensatory and punitive damages.”
Huff said he cannot find work in the profession he has trained for his entire adult life.
“Nobody wants to give me a chance,” he said. “I did not do anything wrong. I was found not guilty in a judicial court of law, but I can’t get a job.”
Contact Lindell Kay at 910-219-8456. Read his blog here.

straightgate wrote: and is Edgar Huff

More to the story is right. The hospital would not allow his Charge Nurse, the Senior Psych Tech, nor the BSN to give a statement during the investigation on Mr. Huff for the night in question even though they were together all night. Mr. Huff told investigator to check films from the cameras on the Psych Unit to prove his innocence. Three days later they told Mr. Huff the cameras did not record. Days later Mr. Huff agreed to take a polygraph and if it returned fine he could return to work without a problem. Mr. Huff called after hospital never called him back. Hospital Investigator told Mr. Huff he would not be allowed to take the polygragh because the woman that accused him refused to take one and if he wanted to clear himself he would have to prove it in court. After being found not guilty, the EEOC was contacted to investigate, then EEOC sent case to their Enforcement Dept. after their finding they recomended a mediation but DGH refused. EEOC at that point sent the writ to sue !”

Is Domelights Shutting Down?
By PW Staff

"This is in NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM an admission of liability or wrongdoing on my part. In fact, I CATEGORICALLY deny any wrongdoing on my part. I did not make racist posts. I did not maintain the website on city time/equipment. I did not create a hostile environment in my workplace via the website or any other means."

Arsenic and Old Race

By Joel Mathis

We’re always having a beer in Philly. But we haven’t had a beer the way President Obama had a beer last week—sleeves rolled up, hanging with Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Sgt. James Crowley—trying, with the force of his charm and a few frosty mugs, to defuse the nation’s latest racially charged incident. “A teachable moment,” the president called it, and goddamn if Philly isn’t chock-full of teachable moments.

RELATED: Space Racism Jay-Z: Eradicating Racism One Hot Beat At A Time Headline of the Day: “Racism Hurts Kids’ Mental Health” Apparently, Racism is Not Confined to Mississippi