Anti-Union SEPTA Protest on Sunday

By PW Staff
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 31 | Posted Nov. 6, 2009

Hot off the press release:

Philadelphians are sick and tired of listening to TWU 234 whining over a perfectly good contract and keeping us from getting to work, school, and other commitments. We're planning to gather this Sunday at 1pm at SEPTA headquarters at 1234 Market Street to tell SEPTA not to back down! We support collective bargaining but will not stand for collective bullying! We would rather go without transit for however long it takes for SEPTA to either negotiate a fair contract with the union that won't raise fares or replace and retrain all of them.

Follow the protest plans on Twitter: @strikeprotest

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Nov 6, 2009 at 02:58PM

“How do we get there to protest against the strike when there are no buses... oh the irony!”

2. walkie walkie said... on Nov 6, 2009 at 03:29PM

“Im going to start walking now”

3. Anonymous said... on Nov 6, 2009 at 04:16PM

“The strikers are just being greedy and as a result they are hurting the whole city. I surely will not be getting an 11% raise at my job any time soon. Its disgusting that they continue to complain. I am surprised someone hasnt taken a stand against them already.”

4. Wes said... on Nov 6, 2009 at 04:41PM

“ok, this doesnt make any sense. If you're sick of people "keeping [you] from getting to work, school, and other commitments," why would you want to see SEPTA hold out and "go without transit for however long it takes." Wouldn't you want to see some kind of resolution?

It's not collective bullying. It's exercising their rights to fight to secure a better future for themselves. Instead of complaining about TWU doing it, why not take their example and organize yourselves?”

5. Anonymous said... on Nov 6, 2009 at 05:54PM

“Wait, I don't get it. Are you protesting the strike? The union? I'm not going to a protest that is supporting Septa being more greedy.”

6. Anonymous said... on Nov 6, 2009 at 06:02PM

“@ Wes.....Amen......

There is no way that anyone can tell me that if they had the right and the power to fight for what they believe they are worth that they wouldn't. And for all of those people talking about how they make 50,000 a year and that should be enough, I dont know where they are living because I make more than that a year and its still tough. They have a right to have just as good a life as anyone else.

Fight on TWU 234”

7. Anonymous said... on Nov 6, 2009 at 06:48PM

“A protest AGAINST the union? for having the audacity to fight for a better livelihood? That's the most ignorant shit I've ever heard.

You would be supporting the race to the bottom that has pushed the American middle class to the breaking point. Only corporate executives and republican chickenhawks want that.”

8. Anonymous said... on Nov 6, 2009 at 08:03PM

“You don't want to protest at 1234 -- that's management.

You want to protest at 2233 Spring Garden St -- that's the 234 building.”

9. Anonymous said... on Nov 6, 2009 at 09:02PM

“Where can I go to throw eggs at the actual strikers? Unemployment in the U.S. hit 10% today, a$$h@les!!”

10. fucktwu said... on Nov 6, 2009 at 09:20PM

“i love how all of u posters r saying that these people are trying to fight for a better livelihood. well maybe u didnt review the numbers or maybe u r just so stuck in the mindset that all unions are good and what they were way back when. either way if they were worried about their livelihood they would have decided to continue to negotiate or cut corners in places where they know they couldnt get exactly what they wanted instead of deciding to just blow the whole thing off. there is a responsible way to handle things and then there is just a irresponsible way and in this case the twu went irresponsible so pardon the general public when they are not completely sympathetic to the strike. its one of the worst recessions in years and thats why people like the poster who said they make more than the workers is still stuggling. everyone is hurting and having to settle for less than what they r used to so why cant the twu?”

11. Anonymous said... on Nov 6, 2009 at 10:58PM

“The irresponsible party here is SEPTA, they should not have ignored the union workers and let them work for all of these months without a contract. They knew there was a possibility of a problem (strike) if they didnt come up with something acceptable, had they started when they should have they would have had time to hash all of this out before it got to this point. Now SEPTA, the media and all of the city want to make it look like this is all the fault of the TWU. Yes its been an inconvenience to me, I have to take my sons to two different schools every morning and the other to work and it seems that just as I get a minute to breath its time to start running all over again but Im glad the little guy is standing up for himself in this one!”

12. @StrikeProtest said... on Nov 7, 2009 at 01:31AM

“The sense of ENTITLEMENT in this city and this country is what's driven our economy into the ground. Companies have left because they can hire workers elsewhere who actually understand if they want retirement income, they need to save; that if they want healthcare, they'll have to contribute; and that if they want to make the same wages as someone with a college degree, they have to go to college!

I'm a hardcore liberal democrat. And I'm FED UP with this bullsh*t. And with the politicians who are too afraid for their own re-election campaigns to STAND UP to GREEDY UNION LABOR and do what's needed to control our future. If we give in (AGAIN) to TWU234, I GUARANTEE fares go up again in the next 12 months to cover these costs.

On top of that, at $24.24 an hour, the $1250 signing bonus REWARDS these lazy, entitlement-focused bastards for SCREWING the public for 6.5 days by PAYING them for the time they were gone! You want to be ENTITLED to more than the $50k a year? GO TO COLLEGE!”

13. Joe said... on Nov 7, 2009 at 05:34PM

“I can't believe the comments here against the union. If you want to slam someone, slam management. If given an opportunity, management will screw the worker. I wish my union (1199C) had the balls that 234 has.”

14. Anonymous said... on Nov 7, 2009 at 07:29PM

“i am a union member (steelworkers local 286), i am losing money. i would love to have half of what they will be getting. they have forgotten that they need us more now, after all of this we know the fares will be going up and the riders of septa will be screwed again because we will be the ones paying for this contract for the next four years when once again we will be playing the same game of will they go out or won't they. i will try my best to be there against septa and the union's gus guzzling suv driving boss”

15. Anonymous said... on Nov 7, 2009 at 10:00PM

“Join the fight, BOYCOTT SEPTA:

16. Anonymous said... on Nov 7, 2009 at 10:51PM

“I don't drive and I rely on septa. I'm about to lose my job if they don't give in. That sucks, they're crying over nothing. I should slap them with my paystub to give them something to really cry about. I'll drive that bus for their contract!”

17. Phillystardust said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 01:32AM

“Sure, you twu exersized a right to strike. Listen up, we have a right to protest. We also have a right for a better life. Philadelphia deserves a better system. TWU is absolutely wrong. We have a right to fight for what is right for us all, for the citizens you have more than inconvenienced they have lost jobs and more are about to lose jobs because they thought they could trust you. TWU you are dead wrong and we will not stop! Guess what punks, it's on!”

18. Anonymous said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 03:35AM

“If you don't like your job quit and go back to school and get a your education. People in Philadelphia don't really care about your selfish demands everyone need to go to work, school, family, friends and love ones. But people like you wouldn't understand driving millions people around is really hard work just sitting there for 8 hours is must be very tiring. Let me tell you this who look like the bad guys here? You against the world in this economy crisis...”

19. Anonymous said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 07:35AM

“This protest is a great idea. We're forgetting that this is a PUBLIC SECTOR union. The union is striking for TAXPAYER money! Where's the accountability? Where's the transparency?”

20. butchieboy said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 08:36AM

“When you ride Septa do you see any septa employees riding with us? Hell no! Go buy any septa depot and see what type of vehicle septa employees drive, luxury suvs all of them. They are just plain greedy! Non-skilled bastards, wow driving a bus takes years of training. Septa needs to put out a big ad stating that they are hiring and watch the massive applicants!!!”

21. Anonymous said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 11:56AM

“Right idea, WRONG PLACE!!!
If u wanna really protest somewhere, protest at the union builiding! Those are the people that are screwing us out of money!!!!
The real place u want to protest is at 500 N 2nd St., headquarters of 234!”

22. Anonymous said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 01:20PM

“So, this was a total bust.

The fact that less than five people showed up to protest a now 6 day transit strike is a testament to how little the city needs Septa or it's employees.

More bike and car lanes please.”

23. wes2 said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 01:42PM

“Screw both parties. They both suck. The TWU must be high to feel that entitled to a raise, bonus, pension plan upgrade and zero health care increase in an economy like this. Shame on septa too. You guys let this happen every 4 years. Your stations stink like excrement and urine, a simple handicap ramp takes you 6 months to complete and you hire real winners that can't even be bothered to give change out or sell tokens when your ancient piece of crap machines refuse to accept my wrinkled money. Don't even get me started on the monthly passes. I can ride the train 20 days with a pass and the same conductor. The minute I leave the pass at home, the same conductor that sees me everyday with a monthly pass is hitting me up for money. I've even had conductors get attitude when they find out I left my wallet at home (happened once) but the guy tried to be all intimidating that he had to write the IOU. I have also witnessed someone being thrown off when the conductor for the same reason.”

24. Anonymous said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 01:52PM

“Yo Willie Brown -

You are the perfect example of the typical septa employee. Rude, Ignorant, Dimwitted and Lazy. I love how they get bothered by the smallest questions or tasks. The inability to smile is an added touch.

Will, you are out of your gourd. You are not as smart or savy as you think you are and greed baffles me. I've been laid off more than once these past two years and have had to take reduced hours, reduced paychecks and have also had this misfortune of running out of unemployment compensation and paying rent straight out of my measley savings account. I went 6 months without health insurance. You guys have it really good for the fact that you inccured no debt from college and have a job a monkey can do.”

25. mario said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 02:29PM

“I admire perseverence. I respect individuals who seek career advancement. SEPTA should certainly evaluate employees and promote career advancement proactively.

There's a nasty side effect to unions which persevere in favor of ALL employees: hundreds of uncomitted, undriven, unproductive employees reap the fruits of union labors putting a dangerous financial burden on the system- which is driven by TAX $$$. Don't get me wrong: Unions serve an important role, i'm not opposing social justice and it may be that septa employees do deserve better conditions across the board. Increasing the salaries and benefits of every SEPTA employee, however, seems wasteful. TWU 234 needs to be stopped *if* SEPTA is being bullied into signing a contract that could destabilize the finances of philadelphia's transportation system. TWU 234 does not "move philadelphia", driven SEPTA employees do- let there be a sliding scale that favors high-productivity employees providing them with career advancement ops.”

26. Anonymous said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 03:43PM

“Our tax dollars are used to fund SEPTA. We, citizens, should have the right to make it illegal for SEPTA to go on strike. The SEPTA union is so ungrateful.”

27. Thank God I don't ride SEPTA! said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 06:44PM

“I haven't had to ride public transportation since I was in my teens, but I always hated it. It had nothing to do with the drivers or the service it was always the ignorance of the other passengers. I see nothing has changed. I've seen name calling, swearing, and just total disrespect for other human beings on these comment boards. Im sure that if thats the way you all feel then thats the way you probably approach them when you step up on their bus yet you expect a cheerful hello and a great ride. Just because a person works for the public doesnt mean you get to treat them any kind of way or say anything you want to them, I mean really who is the rude one? And as far as taxes go, I do believe that anyone who makes a paycheck pays taxes so I guess the members of the TWU pay as much toward their salary in taxes as the next tax payer does. Hopefully SEPTA and the TWU will work this out soon and maybe its the customers who need to work on giving respect to others!”

28. Anonymous said... on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:54PM

“Way to go TWU!

Organized Labor: The Folks Who Brought You the Weekend

If YOU don't stand for SOMETHING you'll FALL for Anything!

American By Birth Union By Choice”

29. Anonymous said... on Nov 12, 2009 at 08:17PM

“people who rob others are also "fighting for a better future for themselves". that should never be an excuse to say you deserve something. you are not entitled to have a good life, especially if you are uneducated and work in menial labor. there's a reason your teachers told you to go to college, and there are consequences when you make mistakes.”

30. tili ayala said... on Nov 28, 2009 at 06:01AM

“I did protest during the whole septa strike and if I had to do it again I would. I was protesting for the Majority, that Twu would settle and get service back up and running. I felt inspired to write the sign SEPTA STOP THE GREED AND MEET THE NEED!!! The media loved that one. I'm glad things are back to normal, but for how long. The activist Tili Ayala justice1peace@yahoo.com”

31. Anonymous said... on Mar 9, 2010 at 11:59AM

“Those greedy unions! How dare they ask for a living wage! (bastards) Asking for decent health insurance.(the nerve!) Instead of protesting 'greedy' unions we should all be fighting for the same wages and benefits that union workers have already. I find it amazing how stupid people can be persuaded to vote against their own interests by right wing idiots.”

SEPTA: The Union Failed Us
By Jacob Lambert

For commuters, the denial meant lost work hours, missed school days, and a status quo of disruption. TWU chief Willie Brown, obstinate as a toddler, was absolutely correct: there was little reason not to hate him.

RELATED: Anti-SEPTA Fail 3 Things: SEPTA Fail in Third Day SEPTA Fail SEPTA Fail Will SEPTA Ruin the World Series? 3 Things: The SEPTA Strike is Over Daniel Denvir on the SEPTA Strike

SEPTA: The Union Stands Tall
By Brendan Skwire

Unionized labor may have its downsides, but the steady decline of union membership has been disastrous for American workers, including Pennsylvanians. That's one reason the TWU deserves your backing.

RELATED: Letters: Cash and Carry Strike Songs

Philly Wusses Out
By Joel Mathis

We’re hiding. We’re waiting on Harrisburg for permission to fix ourselves. We’re accepting defeat. We’re not punching people in the face for messing with us; we’re not spitting in their eye for looking at us the wrong way. We’re wussing out.

RELATED: 3 Things: SEPTA Fares Will Rise Mayor Nutter's Couch Session