Anti-SEPTA Fail

Well, that was lame.

By Joel Mathis
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 11 | Posted Nov. 8, 2009

One protester. Two TV cameras. Welcome to Philly.

Photo by Joel Mathis

Here's the lamest thing in the world: When somebody calls a protest and the protesters end up outnumbered by A) the journalists who show up to cover the protest, B) the cops who show up to make sure things don't get out of hand, or C) both.

Which is what happened Sunday afternoon.

Promises of an anti-union rally at SEPTA headquarters didn't really materialize. Two protesters showed up. One was Larry West, the mohawked feller and erstwhile mayoral candidate. He said he didn't organize the rally, but was responding to announcements on Twitter. He carried a sign: "I'm not anti-union. I'm anti-Willie Brown."

The other was Tili Ayala, who said she hadn't even heard about the possibility of a widespread protest -- she was just there on her own, asking journalists and passerby to sign a white posterboard urging the union and SEPTA to resolve their differences and get back to transporting people to their jobs.

Not an awful message. We learned our lesson. Never pay attention to Twitter. Ever.

COMMENTS

1. TLP said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 02:04PM

“Wait, so did the brains behind @strikeprotest not even show up?”

2. joeldermole said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 02:19PM

“Both of these folks said they weren't the organizer. So: No.”

3. Anonymous said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 02:48PM

“If people can't get to work, school and doctors appointments during the week, how are they supposed to get to a protest on a Sunday afternoon? Typical sensationalist journalism, looking to blame the victim, without any consideration to the facts.”

4. Anonymous said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 04:17PM

“Here's what really happened. Someone realized that there were hundreds of people complaining about SEPTA on twitter. He recognized it as his chance for 15 minutes of twitter/local news fame. When he got to SEPTA headquarters today and saw that his bid for attention was a failure he decided to leave rather than embarrass himself.

That sounds like dedication to a cause to me. If the organizer (or anyone else) actually gave a shit, they would have been out there with those 2 people.

There is no victim blaming here, #3. Don't be so melodramatic.”

5. Anonymous said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 04:23PM

“#4, I'll be as melodramatic as I see fit. I don't need your permission to do so. Thanks.”

6. Anonymous said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 04:40PM

“#3 and 5, I'm sorry your protest didn't work out. Must be a serious blow to the ego. Forgive me for being harsh.”

7. Gavin Simmons McCullum said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 09:20PM

“I can't stand black mohawk guy. I see him all the time. Get a job and get a haircut. Get a job at the Haircuttery He is on my list of reasons I'm glad to be leaving Philly -just beneath Septa.

What's really sad about the Septa strike is its disproportionate affect on the poor. Most of us were only annoyed as we drove or took our bikes to work, but young and poor wage-workers were completely demolished last week. I'm sure many missed out on most or all of a paycheck last week and since the poorest workers work paycheck to paycheck... SEPTA you suck.”

8. Kirsten said... on Nov 8, 2009 at 10:55PM

“It's a shame the protest didn't go well.”

9. Anonymous said... on Nov 9, 2009 at 08:59AM

“Will the SEPTA employees be paid for the week they were on strike?”

10. Anonymous said... on Nov 9, 2009 at 12:23PM

“Is there any bandwagon Larry won't hop on?

That being said, the best way to protest a strike is with a boycott. I ready bicycling was up over 30% last week. Stick with it. The union goons seem hell bent on extorting a broke system and running it into the ground, grab your bike and give them a hand.”

11. Anonymous said... on Nov 9, 2009 at 12:57PM

“Eh, I've only seen Larry do this and the mayor thing... he seems like an all-right guy. Young, a little idealistic, and trying to do something to help. I don't get why there's so much focus on him.

Anyway, the protest seems disorganized at best. I support what they're saying, though, and I'm just glad SEPTA is back to work!”

SEPTA: The Union Failed Us
By Jacob Lambert

For commuters, the denial meant lost work hours, missed school days, and a status quo of disruption. TWU chief Willie Brown, obstinate as a toddler, was absolutely correct: there was little reason not to hate him.

RELATED: Anti-Union SEPTA Protest on Sunday 3 Things: SEPTA Fail in Third Day SEPTA Fail SEPTA Fail Will SEPTA Ruin the World Series? 3 Things: The SEPTA Strike is Over Daniel Denvir on the SEPTA Strike

SEPTA: The Union Stands Tall
By Brendan Skwire

Unionized labor may have its downsides, but the steady decline of union membership has been disastrous for American workers, including Pennsylvanians. That's one reason the TWU deserves your backing.

RELATED: Letters: Cash and Carry Strike Songs

Philly Wusses Out
By Joel Mathis

We’re hiding. We’re waiting on Harrisburg for permission to fix ourselves. We’re accepting defeat. We’re not punching people in the face for messing with us; we’re not spitting in their eye for looking at us the wrong way. We’re wussing out.

RELATED: 3 Things: SEPTA Fares Will Rise Mayor Nutter's Couch Session