Pan-African Farewell

Is Temple downsizing its connections to the black community?

By Ibram Rogers
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 10 | Posted Jul. 9, 2008

Over the last five years, the relationship between Temple and the massive black community that surrounds it has been deteriorating, says Paula S. Peebles, a Temple alum and president of Renaissance Community Development Corporation, which collaborates with PASCEP. "I see the moving of PASCEP as one more brick in that deteriorating wall that's falling down," she says.

Jay says he doesn't think moving PASCEP will have a negative effect on Temple's relationship with the community because he's confident the relocated program will prosper. "We plan to expand the marketing of the program and get more community folks involved," he says.

As for Odom, he's not sure what's in store. "My first thing is to stay home in July," he says. "I've been here in Philadelphia for 20 years, and I've never taken a vacation. As for PASCEP, as the sister says, 'and the latter part shall tell' because it's really up in the air."

Ibram Rogers is a Philadelphia-based freelance writer. Comments on this story can be sent to feedback@ philadelphiaweekly.com

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. E2M said... on Jul 10, 2008 at 02:26PM

“First off I'd like to compliment Brother Ibram Rogers for a non-biased well rounded article. All sides were heard from in this piece. I however, am completely biased in favor of PASCEP remaining in it's present form. Reading Mr. Jay's own words reflects what will happen to this program and one the moves major faults; "some classes will be held in the CEC and others will be scattered in other buildings". This "scattered" concept is contradictory to what has made PASCEP a community and family atmosphere and made it possible for entire families to attend seperate classes during any average semester at Anderson hall. The other fact is that the mention of these "other" locations just began in May after PASCEP family members kept reitirating that the 85 or so classes simply wouldn't fit into the 7 or 8 classrooms available at the C.E.C. Throughout this whole process Temple has not been forthcoming with information nor have they been willing to open up two way communications as part of the planning process. The former Director, the volunteer instructors, the students and vendors have all been shut out and ignored during the entire planning process. Temple has talked AT the PASCEP family not WITH the PASCEP family and that is the biggest insult of all. "Dont Move PASCEP! Increase PASCEP!"”

2. lalaw67 said... on Jul 10, 2008 at 04:40PM

“This is just another step in a new direction backward that the administration at Temple is taking in order to pacify its caucasian student body and effectively change the "face" of the campus community that has thrived with the most integrated population among any college campus in America. We need to move on this latest slap in the face and make sure our established place in North Philadelphia is maintained.”

3. Observer said... on Jan 22, 2009 at 09:43PM

“Well here we are six months later and PASCEP is beginning it's second semester in it's new location and the reality of it is, it is limping along like an injured mutt. Many of the long time instructors are no longer there. Those who have been disenfranchised by the relocation, refuse to return to the once proud program known as PASCEP. The class rooms are small, window-less cells, there is no lobby for the vendors who once populated Anderson Hall and the teachers continue to strive to educate the community with a shortage of supplies and resources. Before this relocation was done, there were many promises made. Promises of parking for students and instructors (which hasn't materialized), promises of new high quality I.D.'s that would provide access to Temple facilities (current I.D.'s are printed white paper badges with the word "VISITOR" emblazened in black ink). These and many more promises were made and never delivered. Temple University still has a PASCEP program but there's clearly, nothing Pan-African about it.”

4. marvin said... on Sep 7, 2009 at 08:59PM

“call bill cosby and see what he have to say.”

5. Robin Banks said... on Dec 11, 2009 at 04:10PM

“I am still interested in the program, I would like to inquire about the new class in winter of 2010 and I wanted to know if the prices will be the same and I wanted to know will there be safe parking and can I have a brochure mailed.”

6. Anonymous said... on Dec 17, 2009 at 12:15PM

“I have referred several people outside of the Temple community to PASCEP to take classes. I worked at Temple for 15 years before leaving to pursue bigger and better opportunities. I feel that the move to a better location is a great move for the community. Anderson Hall was okay when you had people coming in but to have them spread across the campus says that temple cares about their community and is willing to offer them more. Accept the change and allow PASCEP to grow is what I say.

Yumy talks about "not being treated like a human". Now he know how it feels. He treated Donna the same way he is being treated now. KARMA...”

7. Damon Bryant said... on Dec 28, 2009 at 03:32PM

“"We Care."”

8. The JEM said... on Jun 28, 2010 at 08:40PM

“Wow, This Article gave Both Yummy & Harrison a way to verbally express.
Ultimately, this can be worked out. If anybody has been offended, please
forgive and accept sincere apology. Abrasive, arrogrant and unsensitivity
has to be rooted out. In a community based program with Yumy working
so hard for so long.....We acknowledge that and all of the volunter staff.
We apologize for not being more cordial. Harrison view; the Pascep program will propser...But, there is less windows and a smaller rooms. Maybe we can look forward to a even bigger cutural center being built, Yes, just for the surrounding community and everybody...Enough room
for big conference meeting rooms, vendors, class rooms, spaciousness, windows, plants, computer labs., cafeteria. (guest chefs, cooks, ethnics
and of all kinds cuisine) Come on now. Everybody's mouth would drop open in glee and gladness. Rotate Staff, be creative, take respites,etc
We, that is viewing in the realm of human togetherness & respe”

9. Mr. Yumy Odom said... on Jul 4, 2010 at 09:21AM

“I have not been to this site since my resignation, but was informed by a few folks that there have been a few comments posted here since then.

I want to respond to one comment in particular: "Anonymous" from December 17, 2009.

Ms. "Anonymous" is comparing matters that have nothing in common.

Unless she is going to share all of the personnel and personal issues that she intimates, she should remain silent!

"Karma" had nothing to do with this per se. The issue of Ms. Donna was a TU personnel matter.

The issue of PASCEP and its subsequent monkey-fication is a socio-political matter.

Now, as I told anyone who was genuinely interested in discussing the issues, I do not have any gossip or innuendo. I kept a completely professional record at the University for 20 years, and have all of the documentation, paperwork and photos for anything that I have stated!

Sincerely,

Yumy Odom

10. Anonymous said... on Sep 4, 2010 at 02:52PM

“I think PASCEP should get grant money to build our own facility, we together can make that happen.”