Kicked the Habit

Recovering addicts are threatened with eviction from Frankford.

By Christopher Wink
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 9 | Posted Feb. 18, 2009

The Civic Association's acting secretary, Elizabeth McCollum-Nazario, says the problem is that the current system requires too little community input and encourages poorly managed recovery homes to take up residence. She says many of the recovering addicts aren't from Frankford, and they draw drug dealers who are looking for new customers to the neighborhood.

McCollum-Nazario--who was born and raised in Frankford--says she's not singling out recovery homes. In fact, she claims that the Civic Association doesn't want to see an overabundance of any one kind of facility. "What if another church wanted to open on Frankford Avenue?" she asks. "Well, churches are good, but we have too many. That isn't good for the corridor either."

Jackson disagrees.

"The neighbors on our block want us there instead of a vacant house [being there]. We shovel and take out trash for some of the elderly people," Jackson says. "We want to be part of the community. We're an asset, not a liability."

Christopher Wink is a freelance writer from Frankford.

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. Arthur Evans said... on Feb 17, 2009 at 09:48PM

“Very nice article. Its nice to see a fair and balanced story about recovery resources in the city. Congratulations to Christopher Wink.”

2. j said... on Feb 24, 2009 at 02:16PM

“yeah this actually is a good story...weird”

3. Anonymous said... on Jul 21, 2010 at 11:44AM

“jeff jackson runs bed bug infested homes, where you are aloud to use drugs freely and does not give urine screens. he takes your welfare access card and pin number, uses this as payment meanwhile he knows you are trying to do better and doesnt leave you a penny for a bar of soap. you then resort back to your old ways like prostitution and stealing to make it, eventually leading you back to drugs. A SAD EXCUSE FOR A MAN. If you only knew the truth

4. Sarina Parler said... on May 25, 2011 at 07:30PM

“I am a recovering addict, and for Mr. Jackson to be in recovery, working as a counselor, and who is suppose to be giving back what was so freely given to him, it seem as though he has reverted back to his" old addictive behaviors." I would like to as a question, How can you sleep at night, and wake up with a clear conscience?, what kind of "Dignity" are you helping them to acheive, what kind of words of encouragement can you actual give to those you counsel, and still be able to run the kind of "recovery houses" you run, and say the words you say to them with honesty? Being an addict is hard, it's even harder when you go somewhere asking for help and still get used and abuse as though you were still on the street. Most of those trying to change their lives, will just give up and say, "why even bother".”

5. Anonymous said... on Jun 14, 2011 at 04:40PM

“if anyone knows who to contact if i am living in one of these recovery houses and its infested with bed bugs where do i go to get help. to get someone involved who will make mr. jeff get rid of these critters...please..please help... oh by the way we have already been told by mr jackson himself if we open our mouth we will be out on the street.. email me at steph19149@yahoo.com”

6. cara said... on Sep 18, 2012 at 07:22AM

“MR. JACKSON IS SUCH A FAKE. HE TAKES EVERYTHING FROM THE PEOPLE HE RENTS TO AND HE IS A SLUM LORD. HIS RECOVERY HOUSES ARE FILLED WITH BUGS AND RODENTS, THE SO CALLED STAFF HE HAS THERE ARE ONLY THERE TO COLLECT THE MONEY FOOD STAMPS TRANSPASSES AND OTHER BENIFITS FROM THE RESIDENTS. THE MEN WHO FALL BEHIND ON RENT HE MAKES WORK FOR HIM WITH NO PAY. THE WOMEN HAVE TO DO DEGRADING THINGS IN ORDER TO KEEP A ROOF OVER THEIR HEAD. JUST CHECK OUT HIS RECORD WITH L&I AND ASK PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THESE PLACES BEFORE YOU JUDGE. TAKE THE TIME TO STOP BY A FEW OF HIS RECOVERY HOUSES AND YOU CAN SEE FOR YOURSELF WHAT KIND OF PLACE HE RUNS. ASK ANY ONE OF HIS RESIDENTS TO SHOW YOU THEIR WELFARE CARD AND I BET THEY CAN'T BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE THEM SINCE JEFF TAKES THEM ALL FOR HIMSELF AS PART OF THE RENT PAYMENT. EVERYTHING HE SAID IN THIS STORY IS A JOKE,”

7. Anonymous said... on Sep 18, 2012 at 07:30AM

“it makes me sick to read this story. i know jeff personally. he is a sorry excuse for a man. he works at a methadone recovery clinic in phila and he has made quite the name for himself. he incorages people to steel him things he wants and then pays half what its worth. he pays women patients to do sexual favors. he is just trouble and don't think about reporting him because so far everyone who filed complaints on him or reported him has suddenly been dishcharged or detoxed from the program. usually the reason given is they were found in posession of pills or they are suspected of selling pills, which is bull shit. but somehow he gets away with it. i can't believe how many years he has been doing this and is still able to work with people recovering from adiction. if your considering renting from him do yourself a faver and RUN, RUN the other way.”

8. Tonys Girl said... on Apr 28, 2013 at 07:41PM

“I am sorry to admit I know Jeff Jackson myself. I go to the recovery program that he currently works at. I don't know if the last person to leave a comment was referring to Jeff working at the Methadone clinic he worked at and got thrown out of or if you were referring to the one he is currently at it depends on how far back your going. I know from experience that Jeff is in his "old addict" ways and he has been for many years. I guess its debatable if he ever stopped the old behaviors. Some addicts put down the drug but never change anything else. I almost took an apartment from Jeff and I am SOOOO thankful that someone talked me out of it. I have dealt with Jeff retaliating against me at the program for bout a year now because of it. I too have been accused of "selling pills". I think its funny how in a years time Jeff said he has seen me selling pills right in front of the clinic, but the police never saw this nor did any other staff members. That didn't stop him from getting other patients at the program to back him up. Who does these kind of things. All over a stupid apartment that i didn't take because someone told me about the bugs and how if i fell behind on rent he would make me pay it off in sex. This man is evil to the core. Getting clean has been the hardest thing i have ever had to do. I never in a million years thought I would have to defend myself against a counselor who works at my recovery program. I hate everything about this man, I hate to look at him when i go to the clinic. Who does he think he is bringing down so many people who are struggling to pick up the pieces in their lives. I don't understand how he even got hired at my program after all he did at the other methadone clinic and him and Gaylord got fired how did he manipulate his way into another clinic. I wonder if Jeff paid off the guy who wrote this story, cause he obviously didn't do any real research on Jeff Jackson.”

9. Anonymous said... on Apr 9, 2014 at 07:35AM

“If this is the right Jeff Jackson, he works at a methodone Clinic in Phila and buys stolen goods for someone in the northeast. My brother wants his snowblower back or we will report you to your job, What a disgrace. What a fake. You dont desirve to be working with recovery at all.This happened only a few months ago.”