THE GOLDEN ERA OF PHILADELPHIA RADIO

(1956-75)

By Tim Whitaker
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 14 | Posted Apr. 18, 2001

"Underground" radio died and "progressive" radio took its place. Over time, the sound of the stations began to change. Commercials were added and playlists shaped to attract maximum listenership.

Though it may not have been clear at the time, the packaging of Philadelphia radio signaled the end of an era--two eras, actually.

Radio is now a mega-merger industry. The medium may be alive and well, but its soul is gone. Wherever you go, if you listen closely, you can still hear a radio playing softly in the background. But is anybody listening?

Tim Whitaker (twhitaker@philadelphiaweekly.com), the editor of PW, worked in New York radio for two years in the '80s.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3

COMMENTS

1. SANDYJUNE10 said... on Jun 6, 2008 at 09:20PM

“MY FATHER'S SON AND THE MARCONI EXPERIMENT, I FORGOT ABOUT HOW GREAT IT WAS TO WAIT FOR THOSE PROGRAMS TO COME ON. TO LISTEN TO THE MUSIC THAT MADE HISTORY . THE PROGRAMS IN PHILADELPHIA WERE SO GREAT BACK THEN.”

2. BOB TOUSANT said... on Sep 5, 2008 at 05:09AM

“SOME NICE COMMENTS BUT IF YOU'RE FROM PHILLY , YOU QUICKLY REALIZE THAT THE INDIVIDUAL WHO WROTE THESE COMMENTS WAS FAR OFF BASE WITH SOME OF THE REMARKS THAT WERE MADE WHEN COMPARING WIBG AND WFIL. THE KIDS WO LISTENED TO WFIL WERE PROBABLY ALOT MORE HIPPER THAN THE THOSE WHO LISTENED TO WIBBAGE, ALTHO THAT'S DEBATABLE. WFIL WAS ALOT SMOOTHER IS DELIVERY. THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE IN PLAYLISTS! THEY BOTH PLAYED THE SAME POP-ROCK, AND THEY BOTH PLAYED THE SAME AMOUNT OF JINGLES. WFIL BOUGHT A BETTER GRADE OF JINGLE THAT WAS SIMILAR TO WABC IN NEW YORK. WFIL WOUND UP WINNING THE RATINGS RACE BECAUSE THEY WOUND PLAYING ABOUT 3-OR-4-MORE RECORDS PER HOUR THAN WIBBAGE DID. WIBBAGE WAS TO CONCERENED WITH MAKING MONEY AND PLAYING COMMERCIALS AND TOO CONCERENED WITH YACKING ABOUT THEIR RECORD HOPS. WIBBAGE ALSO LACKED A QUALITY FIDELITY AND COULDN'T EVEN BE HEARD AT NIGHT IN MANY SECTIONS OF THE DELAWARE VALLEY BECAUSE OF A VERY POOR SIGNAL.”

3. robin said... on Jun 21, 2009 at 01:09PM

“Agree that WFIL and WIBG played the same sort of music. However, WIBBAGE had the edge, because they had huge personalities in Hy Lit and Joe Niagra--and they were the original pop station. Also, WIBBAGE printed those handy top 100 hit flyers that were distributed weekly in the record section of Woolworths and other places where 45's were sold.”

4. C said... on Aug 19, 2009 at 11:13PM

“WFIL switched to Top 40 in the fall of 1966, was #1 in Philadelphia by the summer of 1967, and WIBG never regained that position, although they tried in a million ways. I think the columnist misses the point. WFIL was a better radio station: tighter, slicker, more hit-oriented, and that's why they won the ratings race. It had nothing to do with being cool, although WFIL obviously was popular. WIBG fumbled along until 1977 when it became the short-lived "Wizzard 100," WZZD, going religious a few years later. WFIL, taking a heavy hit from FM competition, also adjusted its format in 1977, moving in a more adult direction. As with so many other AM stations, this didn't work out for them, and eventually WFIL changed to country music. It was the end of an era in Philly radio. Long live the memories of FAMOUS 56 and WIBBAGE!”

5. Capt Andy said... on Sep 8, 2010 at 07:24AM

“I managed a group call the Combo Kings & they were the group that backed up the acts that came to the WIBG record hops with Hy Lit,Joe Niagra,Jerry Stevens,Bill Wright& many others. Our record Mish Mash hit the top 50 of the wibbage top 99. Looking for a copy of any list that has Mish Mash/byThe Combo Kings. I can be reached at 1-888-284-9864. I have some memorbila from WIBG”

6. My Father's Son said... on Sep 17, 2011 at 09:40PM

“Thanks for the comment
Love you all
Rock on”

7. Rod said... on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:44AM

“WFIL won the battle for one reason and one reason only: Storer Broadcasting was arrogant and refused to believe that they had any competition whatsoever. I was there, I know.”

8. SLice said... on Feb 16, 2012 at 12:15PM

“Philly radio was tops”

9. Dotty Kurtz said... on Jun 13, 2012 at 05:44PM

“In the 1960s and the early '70s, I would turn my radio west and listen to WIBG until the commercial came on. Then I tune into WFIL until they got to a commercial. And then, I would turn the radio north and do the same with WABC and WNBC in NYC. AM radio was powerful back then!”

10. Alan said... on Oct 17, 2013 at 01:12AM

“During the mid 1960s I worked at S. Kline department store at Cottman Ave. & Roosevelt Blvd. (now Macy's). It was here that I met "Giant" Gene Arnold who was the store announcer at the time. I floated the idea of starting a weekly record hop and Gene agreed to DJ. On February 3rd 1967, Jardel Rec. Center became home to the "The Super Hop." As it became apparent that radio air time was needed to get the word out, Gene departed and Wibbage Good Guy Frank X. Feller came on board. As WFIL became Philly's dominant radio station, WIBG's ratings took a nose dive. Frank X. left WIBG and Boss Jock Jay Cook replaced him at Jardel and Dave Parks taking Jay's place when Jay became program director at WFIL. I would like to think we had some success at Jardel as the capacity in the gymnasium was 1,000.”

11. g1311 said... on Feb 24, 2014 at 11:17PM

“i remember gene arnold. never new he announced at kleins. never made it to jardels. i was st.matts. christ the king & ryan, the other side of the blvd. couldn't wait till they played ' What's Your Name". Thats the song I met ALL my new girls”

12. giant gene arnold said... on Apr 29, 2014 at 10:04AM

“One of my listeners to our Sounds Of Philly Shows online at giantgene.com, or www.soul-patrol.net, or radiocatalonia.com told me about this website. I was glad to be included but with a few corrections I helped initiate in-store broadcasting, which later Bob Gray and I worked as Segway music, which years later was sold to Muzak. I loved doing Jardel and brought quite a few guest stars there..One night I had the BLUES MAGOOS who were a handsome long haired group with a big hit. The area boys beat them up and started a riot no more Jardel for a while..but I went on to do WIFI FM with RJ and created Giant Gene's Electric Scene, which went to WIBG, and then much more including mny syndicated shows. Thanks for the reminder”

13. Grew up in Levittown said... on Jun 23, 2014 at 02:48PM

“Still remember cruising in the 53 Mercury; windows down; summer; and "Underwater" by the frogmen, Frank X. Feller's theme song coming on the radio. It was like 1963. Great memories.”

14. Pat said... on Jul 12, 2014 at 07:51PM

“Where (what club along the East River Drive) did Joe Niagara host the Kit Kats in1966??”