Latin Lovers

An ambitious new Southwest Philadelphia charter school uses an ancient language as a formula for learning.

By St. John Barned-Smith
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 40 | Posted Jun. 11, 2008

For Hardy, discipline isn't just demerits and detentions.

Sometimes, he says, all he needs to dole out is a case of acute, paralyzing embarrassment.

Within the confines of the school's office--a space 10 feet wide, maybe 25 feet long, cluttered with desks, two refrigerators, a couple of tables, laptops and reams of papers and books--he towers over two students yanked from class for passing condoms to each other.

"That'll knock all your plans off track," he says to the kids, tossing the condoms onto a nearby computer cart.

One of the boys apologizes but adds that when the "time is right I want to be ready."

Hardy sends them back to class and starts chuckling. "You never know when that time might pop up, that you might need a condom," he says facetiously. "You know, riding on a subway."

Hardy says sex isn't such a big problem for Boys' Latin students, because of their age. At 14, he says, most boys are still awkward and don't even know how to talk to girls. If his students are having sex, it's most likely because older girls are using them as pets, or his boys are finding younger girls.

Teacher Paula Sahm doesn't walk her classroom--she stalks it.

Sahm teaches English. Her students are kids with everything from behavioral problems to general illiteracy. She teaches only 22 students, and at the moment she's helping them try to understand the causes behind the devastation in many of their neighborhoods.

She asks the students what their communities are missing.

"Money," says one.

"Unity," says another.

"Caring," says a third.

The question is how to get drugs out of the neighborhood when the police confiscate hundreds of pounds of coke in a single bust but then admit it won't have much impact in stopping drug violence. The class erupts in debate.

Finally, a student who's been quiet throughout speaks up. "You can't do nothing about it," he nearly explodes. "You can't stop it."

It's early March, and all of Boys' Latin's students are prepping for the national Latin exam they'll take later in the week.

A student who previously made it a point to tell a reporter how much less fighting he's been involved in since coming to Boys' Latin has just been expelled for stealing a cell phone.

"He's going back to public school," Hardy says. "In five minutes he'll know the difference."

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Magistra said... on Aug 13, 2008 at 05:49PM

“Where are they going to get teachers for Boy's Latin? Most public school teachers today can hardly write a coherent sentence in English, much less Latin.”

2. Puck said... on Aug 13, 2008 at 06:49PM

3. UnKnown said... on Sep 9, 2008 at 01:41PM

“I think Boys Latin is a great school. Its not always comfortable being a round all Boys but this school is what the neighbor hood needs.It might not be in a safe neighborhood but it a nice school.I think latin is a challenging but fun to learn language.I would have to agree with Mr.Hardy ,ceo of Boys Latin when he said, he doesn’t like neighborhood schools, because if you “live in a bad neighborhood you get a bad education.” thats true,but the neighborhood which hold Boys Latin is not that bad.I think Boys Latin is a great school....”

4. Julius said... on Sep 9, 2008 at 08:19PM

“Lab User 24: I think the artical is outstanding. I am very pleased with being excepted into Boys' Latin Charter High School of Philadelphia and I plan to stay here all 4 years of high school. We are offered alot as students of BLC, and we should use our sources to our advantage. Like our parents & teachers say NO other school is offering us any better opportunities and I believe every word they say.”

5. javon said... on Sep 10, 2008 at 11:39AM

“lab user 2,i think boys latin is a good school,i consentrate better with out worring or tryin to inpress a girl,we were the same uniforms like everyone else so we all look prasentable and look nice,boys latin faced huge opposition and almost didnt exist sussporters say boys latin is despiraely needed in the city where 45 percent of the students drop out.The founders of the school is david hardy.Boys latin only have two grades at the moment each year they will add a year until the get to grade 12”

6. Darren said... on Sep 10, 2008 at 12:30PM

“Lab User 6 I think this article is a fine example of why Boys Latin is one of the new top charter school. it's great teacjer and curriculm can give a good example for many other school.”

7. hazz said... on Sep 10, 2008 at 05:15PM

“lab uesr5 I think that boys latin is a great school . Anyone who wants to goe a great education should go.I like the fact that we are learning latin .The school is big and new people ask me why all boys I say that I can stay on track much better.Its fun to learn about latin.culture. latin teaches logic and discipline and analytical skills. Also Ihave the best Latin teacher in the world. Ithink its one of the best schools, and hope to go on and better my Education. ”

8. user24 said... on Sep 12, 2008 at 06:00PM

“I think this article says a lot about this school I like the place that Boys Latin choose it a great opportunity for us boys to show our true talents and our learning abilities. I think attending this school is a great opportunity for me. I think it will help me achieve all my dreams in life. I hope to be a high achiever in life and I think this school will help me do that. ”

9. Jaleel Mccall said... on Sep 12, 2008 at 08:20PM

“Labuser 14 I find this artical very interesting.This artical shows how much Mr. Hardy cares about Boy's Latin and his students. I think when Mr.Hardy creacted this school he wanted it to be a challenging school acadimicaly.I think Ms.Flounders is the best Latin teacher I ever had even tho she is the only latin teacher I ever had. I understand now why Mr.Hardy pick to have a same sex school. I think alot of people have high standers for this school and, I belive as a student at Boy's Latin we will suseed those standers. I Respect and thanks everyone who had part in putting this school together because, without this school i'll problelly be in public school just sitting there and not caring about my education.Also,one thing they didnt put in this article which I wish they did is talking about our NTA's and the tech. class cause they are a big part of our school ”

10. given a chance said... on Sep 13, 2008 at 08:06AM

“I think what you guys are doing for us is great. Because when my mother told me about the school i was like what are you talking about? I'm not going to an all boys school . But when I got there it was so amazing, it was like a home away for home and the teachers where nice and friendly.And i say think you boyslatin for everything and i hope the school last for 600 years because you and the students deserve it and keep it up.Shaquille phoenix computer 22 / me_play@live.com”

11. Avery Brown said... on Sep 13, 2008 at 01:18PM

“I think Boys'Latin stands out from all schools. Not just phisically wise but studys wise. Boys' Latin holds education from the most finest teachers of the state and it will soon show on upcoming tests. Its not just a gradute school. This school is a graduate from higschool then go to collage school. Thats what I feel about this topic on latin lovers.”

12. saleem cobb said... on Sep 13, 2008 at 02:54PM

“labuser3 boys latin seems like they have everthing in their hands. i think this school is great because not only they teach u the basic subjets but they also teach u a language that not everybody speaks in philadelphia and thats latin. as people can see south west is a bad area and last year during school their has been 11 murders right down the street from boys latin but thats why this school is trying to make a difference and to do that we need to be educated and thats why ceo mr. hardy thought of a way to make a difference and thats boys latin.”

13. labuser18 said... on Sep 13, 2008 at 03:04PM

“lab user 18 I think this one of the best school i attend to.This school can prepare me for college by encountering many difficulties,and accomplishing them that requires hard labor.Since this is my first year here at boy's latin,i a shot of working towards full scholar ships for college.I thank all the teachers for working hard to train our minds to become successful in life and to anticipate that we boys latin warriors reach our goal.These are my reasons why this is one of the best school i ever attend to ”

14. labuser18 said... on Sep 13, 2008 at 03:14PM

“labuser 18 9E”

15. the boss said... on Sep 13, 2008 at 05:09PM

“I think BoysLatin is a great school its not cool being around all boysall day.and some people say latin is hardbut if you study and work hard you will get it. And thats why i think boys latin is a top school.”

16. Travis said... on Sep 13, 2008 at 09:24PM

“I think Boys Latin knows what they are doing, and ik learned some different launages but never Latin and I think it's cool how some other launages oringinated from Latin so i am going to enjoy it alot!”

17. Jonathan McDowell said... on Sep 14, 2008 at 08:57AM

“this article shows off what why my mom chose boys' Latin for me.One reason its a college prep school. Also the school teaches us Latin and if you learn Latin learning any other languge will be a peace cake.”

18. Jonathan McDowell said... on Sep 14, 2008 at 09:18AM

“this article shows off what why my mom chose boys' Latin for me.One reason its a college prep school. Also the school teaches us Latin and if you learn Latin learning any other languge will be a peace cake. labuser 16 Jonathan McDowell ”

19. Labuser6 said... on Sep 14, 2008 at 12:53PM

“Labuser 6: I tkink Mr. Hardy had a good idea for a all boys school for good actvites.So when people in school get use to communicate with other students. ”

20. Lilnell said... on Sep 14, 2008 at 01:00PM

“Although sometimes I wish their were girls that go to this school I have to relize that girls are a distraction from me getting my work done. Thats why when i come to this school, every day all i have to worry about is me getting work done and becoming one step further of me acomplising my dreams. I dont' have to worry about last year girl problems and losing focus of what school is really about. Boyslatin is a priviledge and Im honored to be apart of it.”

21. lab user 11 said... on Sep 14, 2008 at 01:11PM

“i think this artical is cool because it talks about the school and what it doing for us young men and how is it helping us to become better men in the future. so thats why i think my mom pick this school for me.”

22. Jerrell said... on Sep 15, 2008 at 04:17AM

“Lab User 20: This story is intresting and biological of Mr. Hardy. It tells much about him and the school. I say Mr. Hardy came a long way with the progress of the school. These would be reasons why this story is interesting.”

23. Keith said... on Sep 15, 2008 at 07:14AM

“Lab user 7 This article shows how much of a good school Boys' Latin really is.I fell like the whole curriculum is great.I just don't understand why all boys.”

24. antwyne said... on Sep 15, 2008 at 07:15AM

“lab user 10 9-a this school sucks. i just have to do a assignment that why i did it.”

25. Labuser8 said... on Sep 15, 2008 at 07:15AM

“i think boys latin is and good school. Before i used to play a round in school thinking that school was a joke just not taking it serious. i thought all boys?? i can't do that.thinking I need girls. BUt after a couple of days i realized this school is less stressful having to worry about impressing girls all the time. I could just do my work. i would good grades but not the best because girls would distract me. Now i don't have to worry about them. this school is offering us a great oppurtunity it being a colege prep school. I think being at this school will do goo for me...Mr. Hardy is doing a good job keeping us boys in line. this school will stand out from all the others”

26. Labuser8 9(a) said... on Sep 15, 2008 at 07:20AM

“ think boys latin is and good school. Before i used to play a round in school thinking that school was a joke just not taking it serious. i thought all boys?? i can't do that.thinking I need girls. BUt after a couple of days i realized this school is less stressful having to worry about impressing girls all the time. I could just do my work. i would good grades but not the best because girls would distract me. Now i don't have to worry about them. this school is offering us a great oppurtunity it being a colege prep school. I think being at this school will do goo for me...Mr. Hardy is doing a good job keeping us boys in line. this school will stand out from all the others ”

27. patrick pray said... on Sep 15, 2008 at 08:44AM

“This made me understand a little more on why im here”

28. ladd said... on Sep 15, 2008 at 12:41PM

“labuser12, i think boys latin is a good school , the fact its a all boys school will help us focus on are study's. boys laitn wiil prepare us for college not only that but at boys latin they teach us latin. boys laitn is a good school for boys who want to become young men. ”

29. computer 26 said... on Sep 16, 2008 at 05:37AM

“I THOUGHT THAT THE ARTICLE WAS GREAT AND THAT THE SCHOOL IS GOOD AND THE TEACHERS ARE VERY NICE and in think thats why boyslatin is one of the top high schools in philadelphia.”

30. Magistra said... on Oct 2, 2008 at 03:16PM

“The 2-person Latin department was actually trained at the College of the Holy Cross, the top-ranked Classics program in the nation. Can I answer any other questions for you, "Puck?" ”

31. Anonymous said... on May 6, 2009 at 07:55AM

“Boys Latin is not a great school. Its not run correctly and they make us stay monday's tuesday's and thursday's till 5pm. Itz not a good school. I reguet being a student here at Boys Latin of Philadelphia Charter School.”

32. Anonymous said... on Jun 2, 2009 at 06:22PM

“We remember Dave Hardy from YC. He was our friend.
Al & Kay”

33. Anonymous said... on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:44AM

“My son just entered ninth grade at Boy's Latin School, neither to say I am a single mom and have all the positive expectations of my son's future, and couldn't ask for a better School. My son came from one to the top middle schools in Philadephia, but yet he still struggled with reaching his true potentials, and I know that Boy's latin will open all the right doors and gear him in the right direction. To Mr Hardy, teachers and staff members I thank you all for giving my son a world of oppurtunities, and I pray for nothing less than successful men in tomorrow world, thank you all again”

34. Anonymous said... on Dec 1, 2009 at 08:18PM

“i'm still diggin' this fine artcle. what a writer. what a school!”

35. Anonymous said... on Mar 27, 2010 at 09:59AM

“I live one block from Boys' Latin and its a pleasure to see these young, mature men walk either to their home or wait on the bus corner with much respect for themselves and others. Mr. Hardy, you and your staff are doing such a tremendous job and will keep you and your boys in prayer. Look for me in another two years so that my husband and I can enroll our son in your school. God Bless.”

36. Boys Latin Class Of 2014 Mom said... on May 28, 2010 at 09:47AM

“I am humbly honored and privileged of the opportunity that Boys Latin Of Philadelphia Charter School has bestowed not only upon my family but to all of the families who are represented at the school. I believe that the school (Boys Latin) is giving young men the opportunity to explore various venues when it comes to learning. I look forward to being apart of the Boys Latin Family.”

37. Anonymous said... on Sep 13, 2010 at 06:14AM

“I live one block from Boys' Latin and its a pleasure to see these young, mature men walk either to their home or wait on the bus corner with much respect for themselves and others. Mr. Hardy, you and your staff are doing such a tremendous job and will keep you and your boys in prayer. Look for me in another two years so that my husband and I can enroll our son in your school.”

38. transporturi agabaritice said... on Oct 4, 2010 at 12:46AM

“The irony of this story taking place in the City of Brotherly Love was powerful," says comics writer/artist Kevin Colden. His new work Fishtown is loosely based on the true story of a particularly ...”

39. Anonymous said... on Nov 15, 2010 at 01:13AM

“I feel a lot more people need to read this, very good info!”

40. Anonymous said... on Nov 27, 2010 at 01:31PM