Better Off Led

Mockstars are the new rockstars.

By Brian McManus
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 22 | Posted Jan. 21, 2009

By all accounts Get the Led Out didn't really get the led out until South African-born multi-instrumentalist Andrew Lipke joined the band in 2006. He did so by divine fluke.

Lipke found himself playing keyboard on the recording of angst-filled local artist Kate Gaffney's record a few years back. It was recorded in Fat City.

After a few days, it dawned on Sinclair, Wow, this Lipke kid has chops. "Every idea I threw his way, he hit out of the park."

Lipke has a Bachelor of Fine Arts in music composition from the University of the Arts and has been teaching piano and guitar lessons privately on the Main Line through the Meridee Winters School of Music since he was 19. He's a wunderkind.

Originally Lipke joined the group to fill in on keyboards for three shows. Sinclair and Hammond were so impressed with his performances, they asked him to join on full-time basis shortly after.

He accepted with the provision that his own budding solo career be allowed to remain his priority (Lipke just released his second album, Motherpearl and Dynamite, through Drexel's Mad Dragon Records). Now Sinclair and Hammond maintain they couldn't play a show without him.

"In this band he plays electric, acoustic, keyboard, banjo, he doubles my lead vocal, plays percussion ... " says Sinclair, searching his mind for something he might be forgetting.

"Jawharp," adds Hammond, jokingly.

Lipke doesn't like to use the term "tribute band" either. "It's been such a challenging and interesting musical exercise to be a part of," he says of Get the Led Out. "It's me practicing my craft at the highest levels."

In March of last year Spin magazine ran an article titled "Who Earns What," which listed the salaries of various music industry employees.

As a kid seeking a job in the big ol' coke-fueled orgy called the music biz you could a) own your own indie label for a modest $40,000 a year b) start an indie band for a more princely sum of $45,000 or c) sing in a Led Zeppelin tribute band for a whopping $150,000.

Make no mistake; bands that make it to the top tier of the tribute cake are richly rewarded. The tribute business is big business.

In its upper echelon you'll find Dark Star Orchestra, an act specializing in recreating specific concerts from the Grateful Dead, meticulously logging each show so as to never repeat one in any given city.

"These guys had a publicist, a crew, a tour manager, they sold their own Dark Star Orchestra merchandise. For all intents and purposes they are a real band," says Kurutz, who attended a DSO show for Like a Rolling Stone. "Only they're playing someone else's music."

Kurutz reports that DSO (who made national news last year when Jersey City Councilman Steven Lipski drunkenly emptied his bladder on several of their fans at a D.C. show) can earn upward of a million dollars in a given year. Badfish, a tribute to Sublime, earn as much as $1.4 million in a year.

Dark Star Orchestra is represented by SRO Artists Inc., a full service-booking agency based in Middleton, Wis. SRO signed Get the Led Out to their roster last January. Big things are already beginning to happen. The group plays the Nokia Theater in Times Square in March and are prepping for their first gig at the venerable Electric Factory here in Philly this week.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Dave W. said... on Jan 21, 2009 at 08:36AM

“These guys are great! Go see them whenever you can - they will blow your face off with the Zeppelin covers. They get it SO RIGHT! Don't miss them this weekend! I'll be front row ~~”

2. james said... on Jan 21, 2009 at 09:02AM

“ Boy I don't know why I try to write & record original material when all I have to do is copycat & ape a group that already has a built in audience. I still think a tribute band is pretty lame.”

3. Carol said... on Jan 21, 2009 at 09:20AM

“The entire band is awesome! A MUST see! You will be impressed!”

4. Cheryl said... on Jan 21, 2009 at 10:46AM

“I just have to say having grown up with "the Pauls" There are no better artists! GTLO ROCKS!”

5. reds4life said... on Jan 21, 2009 at 11:33AM

“I need to say having grown up with "the Pauls" there is no better GTLO ROCKS! I LOVE YOU PAUL”

6. dan said... on Jan 21, 2009 at 12:16PM

“Did you read the article, james? Did it not record how these guys tried to make original music forever? What is so lame about playing the music you love, making a few bucks, and giving lots of people enjoyment?!? Zeppelin songs were made to be heard live and since the Zeps won't do the honors, give me a great tribute band and I'm there!”

7. silent e said... on Jan 21, 2009 at 12:19PM

“The punny names are always the best part of any tribute band. There's a SF-based all-female Metallica tribute band called Metallicunt, an all-male Go-Go's tribute band called We Got The Meat, and 2 all-female ACDC tribute bands called AC/ D-She and Hell's Belles. Anybody want to join my all-male Hole tribute band? I've already got a name: Pole.”

8. Becky High said... on Jan 21, 2009 at 10:13PM

“Every artist in Get The Led Out is a consummate professional with many years of experience in all aspects of the music business, and it reflects in every performance they give. GTLO is awesome, but it's just a small part of what these guys can do! They are making a good living doing what they love. Sour grapes much, James?”

9. R said... on Jan 22, 2009 at 09:34AM

“I'm surprised that original founders of the band, Paul Piccari (the third "Paul") (Bass, Vocals) and Adam Ferriaioli (drums) were not mentioned in this article, especially since they are a major part of the band to this day as well, along with Jimmy Marchiano (electric and acoustic guitar, vocals) who joined the band a couple years ago. I think the reporter should have been more thorough with his facts, especially since Sinclair (an awesome vocalist - unmatched in talent) actually auditioned for Paul Piccari initially before becoming a part owner in GTLO. I LOVE this band and they have never been anything but remarkably talented and entertaining! A must see, hear and totally experience! ”

10. JH said... on Jan 22, 2009 at 01:52PM

“GTLO is awesome. I've seen them many times, and honestly, you can't critique someone you haven't heard. These guys are Led Zeppelin heaven to your ears. I wish I could see them more often. And by the way, the band members are down right nice guys, oh and girl, Diana, who sings the female parts in the Battle of Evermore is great. Keep doing what your doing, we need an American Led Zeppelin. ”

11. jgskidding said... on Jan 23, 2009 at 06:31AM

“I have seen GTLO perform many times & as a musician growing up in the Philly area, I am impressed with the way they can "duplicate" Led Zeps music to a tee!! I also have a copy of Sinclairs original music on CD of which I bought at one of their shows. The band has come a long way since Ron Kayfield left , & has stepped it up a notch!!! I will be at the Electric Factory tommorrow with some family & friends who have not seen them, & everytime I bring someone,they are pleasantly surprised! Since I saw Led Zep at the spectrum many years ago, I am extreemly happy that I can listen to their music,live, by some very talented musicians, who are also very down to earth, working class guys like myself!! THANK GOD FOR GTLO - KEEP ROCKING FELLAS...... joe, from down the shore”

12. JP1959 said... on Jan 23, 2009 at 08:47AM

“HOW COULD SOMEONE (LIKE ME ) GET A COPY OF THE DEBUT VINYL ALBUM PRODUCED IN '88? wHAT IS THE TITLE AND WHAT LABLE WAS IT ON? i AM AN AUDIOPHILE AND AM STILL USILG MY LPS 'S”

13. jesselun said... on Jan 23, 2009 at 10:47AM

“The Pauls rule (so does Lipke and the rest). I've worked with them a millions times, and it's always been the BEST experience. Great article, McManus”

14. Heather said... on Jan 25, 2009 at 05:42PM

“Black Dog is also a great Zeppelin tribute!! www.blackdogzeppelin.com”

15. Mike H. said... on Jan 26, 2009 at 08:38AM

“It was an incredible show Sat. First time I've seen them perform. Blown away by Jimmy -- I agree that the author of this article really left out some key members of the band...Jimmy carries the hard guitar parts. Anyway, I would highly recommend seeing them. I would also recommend seeing Jimmy when he plays with LeCompt. Much smaller venues and you get to see what he is capable of doing a little better.”

16. Rock Hardson said... on Mar 25, 2009 at 07:33AM

“Everybody knows that Jimmy Page NEVER had red silk lapels on the inside of ANY of his onstage costumes, sheesh...

17. zeppelinwoman said... on Jul 12, 2009 at 07:54PM

“THEY R THE NEXT BEST THING !!! END OF STORY !!!! CANT WAIT 2 SUCK UP THEIR MUSIC IN MY VEINS AGAIN !!”

18. Lorraine (south philly!) said... on Nov 11, 2009 at 11:52AM

“Hey people, lets just say i know one of the members pretty much all my life and i believe in my heart that he was a musician in his past life lmao,, he is just incredible in my eyes,the best guitarist ive ever witnessed playing,, on and off the stage, YES JIMMY THATS YOU BABE LOVE YA!!!!!!,,but anyways i could listen to them all day and all of the night,,I think they sound better than the original band,but hey thats my opinion and im entitled to it right? But hey,,,,,,,,,,,they are better lol!”

19. Ronald Wilkinson said... on Nov 23, 2009 at 04:32PM

“I am bringing my grandson to see the show at the Turning Stone on Jan. 16. Saw the show there last Feb. and was blown away. Also bringing some other friends that I am treating. It will be an "I told you so" evening. Rock on, guys!

20. bet and bri said... on Mar 22, 2010 at 05:14PM

“Saw you in blackwood NJ for the first time. you guys are awesome. We were really blown away . Cant wait to see you again. We are celebrating our 25 th
wedding anniversary in 2011 and want to share that day with GTLO and some of our close friends. That would make a very special day.

21. franky t said... on Aug 21, 2010 at 04:17PM

“one day i walked past two painters in NYC one was painting his own stuff, another van gogh repros.....everyone oohd and aad at the repro painter...its easy to copy anothers music and sound good....from what ive read these guys released one original record twenty years ago.....no wonder they are copying zeppelin....they are failed artists, regardless of how succesful they became with their own music...good businessmen tho”

22. Paul Sinclair & GTLO Fan said... on Sep 6, 2010 at 03:17PM

“One day I was reading an article that was published two years ago, and someone named Franky T posted a comment two years later about something he had no knowledge of. The members of Get The Led Out are constantly producing and selling their own original music to this day and keeping all the money with no middlemen involved. Franky T who? Paul Sinclair is the man!”