Cover Story: Towing the Line

The tow-truck industry is out of control. Will the city intervene?

By Aaron Kase
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 14 | Posted Aug. 24, 2010

“We try and get them a refund, we’re not always successful,” Haver says. “For people who have been persuaded to pay in cash, there’s little more I can do than get the owner on the phone and they promise not to do it again.”

To address some of the problems before they occur, City Council passed a law this spring mandating that a car be ticketed by a law-enforcement agency before an operator can tow it off private property, eliminating “he said she said” disputes like the Schwartz’s about whether a car was legally parked or not. Mayor Nutter has not yet signed the bill into law, although it is likely to happen in September, representatives from the Mayor’s Office say.

Operators laugh at the idea that the police could be called to ticket every illegally parked car in the city, and say that isn’t fair to car owners anyway. “You’re double-dipping,” says Lew Blum, who owns one of the highest-volume private towing companies in the city. “They already pay for getting towed. Why put a ticket on it?”

He suggests towers take a picture instead, so they can prove the car was parked legally in case of a dispute, but he says City Council won’t return his phone calls and isn’t interested in his input on the new laws.

Blum is even more unhappy about Kenney’s suggestion to hand the towing industry over to the Philadelphia Parking Authority if the police and L&I can’t get the job done. “Ultimately, we want the PPA to take over supervision,” Kenney says. Under his idea, the PPA, which he describes as “the most relentless enforcement agency known to mankind,” would be in charge of truck inspections and issuing licenses to tow. After an accident, the police would call the PPA, who would call a towing company on the rotation list, who would take the damaged vehicle to a PPA lot.

“That would ensure that the $150 for the tow and $25 a day storage fee will be complied with,” Kenney says.

The Mayor’s Office hasn’t taken a position yet on Kenney’s suggestion. “The short of it is that we are reviewing the suggestion and are seeking to have a comprehensive answer to be put forth sometime in the fall,” says Deputy Mayor for Public Safety Everett Gillison.

The PPA is also coy about speaking too soon. “It’s kind of preliminary right now,” says Carl Ciglar, the PPA’s deputy executive director. “At this point, if the councilman and Council feel like it’s a good idea for us to do that, we’re certainly open to it.”

Blum calls bullshit. “The Parking Authority and City Council are in cahoots,” he says.

“We are so picked on,” Blum continues. “All of us private towers—we have the right to the pursuit of happiness, but this will put us out of business. And I am mad.”

Private operators aren’t happy about the other rules, either. Operators complain the rotational list is just a way to funnel work to drivers who have connections with City Hall.

“How you gonna take work from all the little guys and give it to a few politically connected guys?” asks Campbell.

Blum and other operators vaguely mention ideas to start a new towing association in order to wield more clout with City Council, but no firm plans are in place yet. Parente says he has tried to bring more companies into the Towers and Salvors Association, but found little interest.

With no organization to speak for them, other towers still say they feel left out of the decision-making process. “If you get pull in City Hall, you get work,” La Torre Sr. says. “They’ll kill the industry.”

But that’s only if those within the industry don’t kill each other first. ■

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4

COMMENTS

1. Josh said... on Aug 25, 2010 at 09:57AM

“Excellent reporting. Especially disturbed by the account of Otterson II. Here's his facebook profile:

www.facebook.com/people/Mike-Otterson-II/100001362560577

"Mike Otterson II Got traffic court tomorrow for driving over a 100plus on 42 thank god for knowing really good lawyers. WTF...."”

2. Joe said... on Aug 25, 2010 at 01:33PM

“Typical day in Bullydelphia...place should be nuked.”

3. GavinM3 said... on Aug 25, 2010 at 01:37PM

“Great article!!!! Well written and researched.

Hopefully this article shines some light on all of the towing corruption that goes on in Philly. These high school-dropout towtruck drivers get to be judge and jury every night while your car is held ransom.

Some of my friends in the 'burbs refuse to visit Philly simply due to the parking and towing situation. This problem needs to be addressed!

4. Anonymous said... on Aug 25, 2010 at 03:40PM

“This is shocking. I went on to southphillytowing.com (Otterson's company), they clearly state that they are open 24 hours a day but told Barry that they were closed when he wanted to pick up his car the night of the towing. I hope that people who are looking for a tow truck by choice (i.e. a breakdown) boycott South Philly Towing. Good on you Philly Weekly for this excellent piece of journalism and shame on you tow-truckers.”

5. mufffin said... on Aug 25, 2010 at 03:46PM

“I hope it does kill the industry and all the towers go hungry. . .that would make me really happy actually.”

6. Shawn said... on Aug 26, 2010 at 10:56AM

“WMMR's Morning Show "Preston and Steve" spent several days talking about this the day after the fire and shooting. Its good that other media outlets are getting involved, perhaps the city and the businesses themselves will feel some pressure and start working to fix things. Philly gets enough of a black eye with things, we really don't need one more to add to the list. My suggestion to anyone who's had this problem is to start using the media. Call the radio, newspapers and TV stations. Start a Facebook page, see if all of you can band together. If you simply give up, nothing will ever be changed. One of my favorite sayings is "the squeaky wheel gets grease".”

7. MORTON TOWING said... on Aug 26, 2010 at 09:14PM

“Well written Aaron,
The only down side that I read is that the PPA have been braught into this rotational towing. They as a municipality, have no business taking business from honest towers. It seems that they will eventually take over the industry, which is illegal. But your article was informing and well written.”

8. Mike Otterson said... on Aug 29, 2010 at 01:54PM

“I usually try not to respond to the negative comments left online, but in this case I will make an exception. Without getting into all the he said she said stuff, let me first say that unfortunately you can not trust that everyone interprets a situation exactly the same, I'm sure that the Schwartz's really do believe that there side of this story is the way that they recollect what happened. But through the years of doing a good bit of Parking Enforcement I can absolutely tell you that the customers version of what happened is always quit different than what actually occurred. The statement I made in this article about no one taking 100% responsibility for there actions is accurate, we at SOUTH PHILLY TOWING take pride in the fact that we would never touch a car that was even questionable, not to mention the fact that when there is an event going on down by the stadiums the Police presents is overwhelming, and they scrutinize everything that is going on down there, so if in fact the Schwartz's did park on the other side of the street I assure you that we would not have touched there vehicle. The business owners complaint in that area is that some of the people that park down there end up trashing their property and also prohibit the tractor trailers from being able to deliver there goods, this is why we get the pleasure of performing this service for them, it is always the case that the people we end up towing say that they are not the ones that are doing this, but unfortunately the people that do, ruin it for everyone. As far as telling them that they could not retrieve their vehicle that night, my son was the one on the phone with them and they became very belligerent so he warned them that they would give up their right to pickup their vehicle till the next day if they continued, and they continued so he told them that they had to come the next day. It has been our experience that when given the opportunity of time people have a tendency to calm down, this did not happen in the Schwartz's case, when they showed up the next day they were still belligerent, to the point that when one of my drivers showed up to release the vehicle to them Mrs Schwartz immediately jump in his face calling him names and cursing at him, that driver did not want to disrespect her so he called one of my other drivers who was able to handle the situation, as far as saying I know where you live b##ch, that was not the way it was said, they were threatening our property and we occasionally have to remind the customer that they just provided us with positive ID for who we released the vehicle to so we do in fact know where you live, not as a threat but to say IF anything was to happen we will let the police know. As far as the neighborhood being a demilitarized zone, I take offense to that because I personally don't think it is that bad considering that I grew up in that area, and my mother in-law owns a luncheonette on the corner of the block that has been in her family for over 60 years, I would not go as far to say that its a perfect neighborhood it does has it's faults, but it's better than other neighborhoods I visited, and I still wouldn't slander them either. The thing is I truly do understand what the Schartz's went through at that time and I'm sympathetic to their situation, but unfortunately this is one of the many services that we provide as a company, and we do our best to give all of our customers the best service we can. (In this case the customer would have been the property owner) As far as the other negative accounts on the internet, most of them are people that were parked illegally and were towed, they were not happy from the get go, no further explanation should be needed. It is and never will be my intention to give the towing industry a black eye and I sincerely apologize to any one who thinks that we may have, all that I feel that I am guilty of is trying to provide the best service in a very competitive city.

Mike Otterson
SOUTH PHILLY TOWING
mickeyott@southphillytowing.com”

9. tnieves said... on Aug 31, 2010 at 01:08PM

“we're talking about philly here. nothing will never ever get done or "back on track".”

10. Anonymous said... on Nov 9, 2010 at 08:25PM

“does anyone know of top notch towing 25 &moore sts. My car was towed by them. They are closed now,phone disconnected.And they have my car. I dont know how to get in touch with them.The insurance adjuster wants to see the car.”

11. T - owed said... on Dec 29, 2010 at 04:45PM

“I attended the Eagles game on tuesday night with my son and had the same thing happen ! Then the company said they had pictures of me tailgating and destroying there sign ,then upon further investigation I found they have a money maker with the spots they tow from ( they take the sign down before the events and post them when the spots are full so they can tow vehicles !! To top it all off the 911 dispatcher and police on the seen do not even help while you are trying to figure out if your car is stolen or towed until after the car release time at midnight when you can not get your vehicle until 9 am with a 2 day storage fee !! I can not prove it but I think they have someone on the police force that helps them hold your car hostage for our cash only they say on the phone STILL..”

12. Anonymous said... on Mar 9, 2011 at 01:23PM

“Manton is easily the worst of the lot. The business is run by a sociopath with no remorse for his crimes. Scum like Manton give the whole industry a bad name. Most of the scum in the business specialize in 'patrol towing' and the more unethical ones like tow squad use spotters in parking lots. Whenever I see spotters I call the police and tell them there is a shady looking character using drugs, smoking pot or taking pictures of little kids. Works every time1 Once the spotter had warrants and was hauled away in handcuffs! Made my whole day.”

13. AVOID said... on Feb 25, 2014 at 04:53PM

“Saw the report about the towing situation in Philly last nite. Simply victimizing tactics are employed. My applause to Mr. Otterson. You seem very articulate for strong arm criminal. You and those like you tear at the fabric of decency for which it seems there is merely a thread left. Repulsive. Poor you and you're predatory methods. You take people's property, leave them stranded in an unsafe city, then extort cash knowing you've got them by the balls. Legit my ass. Are they "customers" to you or prey. Karma to all you bastards who extract a living from your fellow citizens "legally" or "illegally", and to all those who look the other way. Shits too fucked up to believe anymore. Those who visit the city are careful not to park illegally. As they are aware of the consequences. Now visitors to the city can get towed regardless? Nice warm welcome to our city of OTHERLY LOVE!!!”

14. Anonymous said... on Mar 6, 2014 at 12:29PM

“I for one will never go to Philadelphia again. My vehicle was parked legally, but towed as it supposedly encroached onto a handicapped spot. Unscrupulous tow operators have caused me to be outspoken against the City of Philadelphia in general. I make a point to tell my story to MANY people. Watching their city's reputation deteriorate and the effects that has on tourism and taxes are the only thing that may make them notice. Then again, from what I understand, this is just business as usual for these people. I'll be getting my Philly Cheesesteaks somewhere else...”