The City of Nutterly Love?

Philadelphians offer some early indications on the mayor’s chances of re-election.

By Aaron Kase
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 7 | Posted Nov. 24, 2010

Larry Cavalieri, 29, union worker, South Philly: It’s not good right now. It’s really hard. I know a lot of people unemployed, losing houses, losing everything. People I worked with, friends, run out of unemployment, stuck doing nothing. I know of a lot of tax cuts or something to bring more businesses into the city, I don’t even know if he’s doing that or not.

Firefighter Brownouts

This summer, the mayor announced a plan to close three fire stations on a rolling basis, as a budget-saving measure, so no one neighborhood would bear the brunt of a permanent closure. The move was made to help save $3.8 million from the Fire Department budget, but firefighters claim the closures make residents more vulnerable to delayed response. Angry neighbors in West Philly spoke out against the brownouts after a 12-year-old child died in a house fire in August. Firefighters say they could have responded quicker if not for a brownout at a nearby station, although the city maintains that the response time was adequate.

Rubin: I know they were doing rolling closing of fire departments. I found it kind of scary. I support unions protecting workers’ rights but I think they’ve gone too far in Philadelphia. What are they protecting? They make more money than most people in the city here and I think that it’s very difficult to fight that … I think he’s tried his best. I think it’s a difficult thing. You get criticized no matter what you do … I think he’s an intelligent man and doing the best he can.

Adrian, 20s, Northern Liberties: It’s a floating thing? I don’t think it’s a real bad idea, but it could happen on any given Sunday. If there’s a fire in one particular area, it’ll look like a bad idea. But in the aggregate, in the grand scheme of things, it’s a way to save some money. As long as no one’s getting hurt.

Willa Jaffe, 24, actress, Society Hill: Seems illogical to put citizens in danger to save money. There are less important governmental professions whose hours can be cut and affect less people.

Jeremy Tamburello, 30, owner of Birch Tree Catering, East Passyunk: If done intelligently, by doing it by mile radius, it can be a good thing. If done wrong it could cost many lives.

James McHugh, 64, veteran, Fishtown: Very bad idea. I had a house burn down one time, so I’ve got a personal history. I’m a Vietnam vet so I’ve seen people burn up and all that stuff, and that’s bad. So, it could happen to any of us. Firemen are vital.

Mayor's Commission on Literacy

In September, Nutter re-established the Mayor’s Commission on literacy, appointing a new set of commissioners with a fresh mission to combat illiteracy in Philadelphia, where about 550,000 people have insufficient reading skills to perform basic workplace functions like filling out forms. But to some, the move is overshadowed by the the fact that the mayor has repeatedly placed public library hours on the chopping block while looking for budget savings over the past two years.

Carolyn Armour, 55, on disability, South Philly: That’s good. But libraries have to be open to do that. If it’s just something that’s hush-hush, what good is it? It sounds like something that’s needed, but if the populace don’t know about it, what good is it?

Vote for Nutter in 2011? I’m voting against him, whoever is running against him I’m voting for.

Dave Manley, 44, Musician, East Falls: Those are the kind of things that most people would be like, ‘Oh.’ ’Cause it’s not sensationalized, it’s not a big issue. If he’s doing that, if he’s quietly getting it done, they need to do a better job of letting people know. Especially something like that, it’s a big deal. Especially with the dropout rate.

Lamont Steptoe, 61, poet, University City: It’s appalling how many people don’t read. And are behind the 8-balls of what they should know at their age level. I think it’s only right to place a greater emphasis on reading, especially our youth. Nutter’s One Book One Philadelphia was a success but needed more diversity than fiction and non-fiction. As a teacher I’ve had youths tell me that writing poetry is empowering; that through the use of rhyme, rhythm and repetition they had found a way to express themselves.

Crime

Nutter claims a reduction in crime in the city between 2007 and 2009, naming a 23 percent reduction in homicides, 10.8 percent reduction in violent crime, and 9.7 percent reduction in property crime. However, this year the force has reorganized its deployment schedules in an effort to remain effective despite $13.7 million in budget cuts.

Pompeii: He’s not fucking doing anything for ’em [cops]. It’s not that he’s anti-cop, he’s just not finding the money to get more cops on the force, put cops in the right place, it’s like he’s ignoring them.

Adrian: Crime has taken a serious decline and that’s something that Mayor Nutter definitely needs to be commended for. He’s done a good job on that. I don’t think he’s been commended enough for it. I think it’s for the same reason why we don’t really praise our home teams, and then we’re all over them when they’re in the hole. It’s just the way people are in the city, I guess. It’s a Philly thing.

Correa: Our communities are going down the drain. How about putting an officer on every corner when the kids get out of school? How about having officers checking small business areas like Street used to do?

Stop-and-Frisk

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Nov 24, 2010 at 11:47AM

“I wouldn't vote for that negro if he was the last person on earth because I can't stand him. Enough said!!!!!!”

2. E Gill said... on Nov 24, 2010 at 12:14PM

“@Richard Emmons: To answer your question: Yeah, that's fucked up. Yes, he may have made a whopper of a mistake turning down that snow machine but to use that non-policy-related decision to decide whether not to vote for him is...well, "fucked up."

Not voting for Nutter is pretty much a vote for the Republican. Do you think a Republican is going to do any better? (Take a look at the Governor of New Jersey.)

Look, I hate to tell anyone not to vote. So instead, I ask that you educate yourself about actual issues before deciding to vote against a candidate because of how much it snowed last winter.”

3. pete said... on Nov 24, 2010 at 10:44PM

“I would like to see Nutter go beyond difficult
financial decisions. I would like him to use some
strategic, fascist instruments, to stop the flow
of powdered narcotics into this city. They are
not cool and cause much suffering. I would
also like to see a majority of vacant lots turned
into vegetable farms, in general , more trees
planted, and a simple way of recycling that
appeals to lazy people. Also, criminals with
automatic weapons are not cool, and fascism
is the only answer to that problem. I am happy
to live in a quasi-police state, which I hope
causes the federal government to let Philly be
a Florentine style city-state that can make it's
own laws....Secession Now!

I think Nutter could be a benevolent dictator.”

4. Anonymous said... on Nov 25, 2010 at 05:51AM

“Violent black crime is totally ignored by Nutter and blacks. To Nutter and his blacks, it's as if violent black crime is nonexistent, when simply watching the nightly news is enough to alert any reasonable working city taxpayer that black crime is completely out of control and that the city is under seige by these savages.”

5. Anonymous said... on Nov 26, 2010 at 12:13PM

“It seems that a few Philly.com posters have mirgrated to Phillyweekly.com”

6. Janice Brown said... on Dec 1, 2010 at 11:30AM

“I would like to know why is Mayor Nutter along with others are not attacking this child traffiking and corruption going on in the City Of Philadelphia. DHS and the Family courts are taking our children and giving them to strangers. The family courts are violating our constitutional rights and the law to satisfy their needs or pockets. We have provided evidence of this world wide issue and no one is acting or attacking this darkness, or should I say demonic issue. I am a victim along with my grandbabies of this horrible trend. The Mayor was sympathetic on showing up at my daughter and grandbabies funeral in June 2009 also preparing a speech at the funeral. (The feltonville four a.k.a The Third St Angels) But when I really needed him as he stated at the funeral, he has not yet responded to my plead. I would do everything in my God given power to get my grandbabies back home with or without his help. Im praying that it is with his help and he is unaware of our situation.”

7. Anthony P. Johnson said... on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:47AM

“Whether the opposition is Rendell, Katz, Green, Street, Knox, Santa Claus, Elmo, or the Easter Bunny, Mr. Nutter should not be reelected as mayor.

Since 2008, I've written extensively about the misadventures of Mr. Nutter and how woeful he's been as mayor for one of the greatest cities in the Republic. Since his stint as mayor, all we've gotten from him is:

• Unlimited excuses

• Elimination of services

• Lack of depth in creating and implementing effective policies to stimulate economic growth

And

• Arrogance

Philadelphia and its residents deserve better than this poor leadership that Mr. Nutter has provided up to this point. Could it be that the Philadelphia Democratic Party regarding its mayors is taking nearly 30 years of support for granted?

We've had 8 years of Mr. Goode, 8 years of Mr. Rendell, 8 years of Mr. Street and quit possibly, gulp--8 years of Mr. Nutter.

Mr. Goode had his moments and was on his way to being considered one of the best mayor's the city had until well, the MOVE Massacre. Ed "America's Mayor" Rendell was responsible for the face lift to Center City that re-energized economic growth at the time but not much else, and John Street increased social services in the city that was sorely lacking, but he also had an administration and associates so corrupt that they never met a kickback they didn't like. This brings us to Mr. Nutter. His achievements have been so far and few that I would have to grade them on a curve in order for him to receive a passing grade--and on too many occasions Mr. Nutter looked lost and dazed like the proverbial deer caught in the headlights of the issues in Philadelphia.

Mr. Nutter's supporters will say he inherited a horrific economy, but in Mr. Street's defense, he managed to leave the city with a surplus when he left office. In my humble opinion, that type of rhetoric doesn't even fly with President Obama. Mr. Nutter wanted the job because he had a better mouse trap--well, you got it! Now shut-up about how bad the economy was when you became mayor and fix it. We are at 11.9 percent unemployment. If we Philadelphians tighten our belts anymore, third-world nations will begin sponsoring a Philadelphian.

Maybe what Philadelphia needs is a Republican mayor. Maybe they would be effective, and in the process, awaken the Democratic Party to the reality that their hibernation in which they've been in for nearly 30 years is over.

Anthony P. Johnson