The 2012 Election Issue: It's PW's Binder Full of Women!

By PW Staff
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 6 | Posted Oct. 31, 2012

But don’t think we’re going to just fade away. Oh, no. It’s going to take at least four more years of universal health care, banking regulations and funding public broadcasting to make it happen. And my older, much richer counterparts are doing their damndest to stop that.

The evidence is in this election season. Rich white guys have come out in full force against the president—especially on financial issues, and have made entire careers out of it. Take New York real-estate billionaire Donald Trump, who led the GOP field for president in April 2011. When he’s not firing Andrew Dice Clay from his fake business on national television, the dude acts as an anti-Obama birth certificate conspiracist. Then there’s would-be Philly casino mogul Steven Wynn, who’s been one of the leaders in this charge against Obama, calling him “the greatest wet blanket to business and progress and job creation in my lifetime,” whose “speeches about redistribution” are similar to those of “pure socialists.” And numerous CEOs have gone on Fox News to claim they either will not make any new hires until Obama retires, or will themselves retire if Obama is re-elected.

Well, on behalf of all white dudes a bit further down the totem poll, let me be neither the first, nor the last, to ask you guys to go fuck yourselves. Will the world end if Obama is re-elected? No. But your hegemonic idiocy and your “Rich guys have it rough, too, you guys!” mindset is seriously getting under other people’s skin. And four years from now, you will look that much dumber. Take Indiana U.S. Rep. John Fleming. He told NBC News a while back that at the end of the year, he only has $400,000 in profits left after “I feed my family.” Or billionaire Westgate Resorts CEO David Siegel, who told his employees, “The economy doesn’t currently pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is another four years of the same presidential administration.”

Locally, Philadelphia magazine played its localize-the-trend-piece game in May 2012 by glorifying anonymous “1 Percenters.” And to prove wealth douchebaggery isn’t exclusive to CEOs or members of Congress, one Main Line woman claimed it took $1 million per year to upkeep her home and said she stopped giving to charities because she didn’t like her husband’s taxes going to social programs. Oh, and: “I took the train into the city last night,” she told Philly mag. “I got off at Suburban Station … I was scared to death. I’ve never seen so many young black people— maybe a flash mob was about to happen, I dunno, but they’re all tattooed.” Fuck you, lady!

I get it. The people at the top are the job creators. But unless my high school economics teacher was lying to my face every day for nine months, it’s safe to say those job creators wouldn’t have jobs to create unless there was demand for those jobs. And if your life is so hard under President Obama—who came into office after the recession began, by the way; whose policies have created job growth for more than two years; who is now presiding over the lowest unemployment rate since 2009—then fucking quit! The poor people who feed their kids off your tax dollars will find their baby formula either way. A little less of your cash into the federal government is worth it so long as you stop bitching.

Staff Writer Randy LoBasso is our token white dude.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Oct 31, 2012 at 01:43PM

“It was not President Obama who said that "he got a binder full of women", so why is your comment directed towards him (Remember the 2008 election. Yeah that was us . Mr. Obama)? Our president knows who voted for him!!! You should fix this!!!”

2. Nina Hoffmann said... on Oct 31, 2012 at 01:52PM

“Hi Anonymous, thank you for your comment. We know that Obama had nothing to do with the "binders" gaffe. Not sure how you've made that connection, but that line is in reference to the fact that in 2008, women voted in large numbers and were a major factor in getting Obama elected.

Nina Hoffmann
Senior Editor
Philadelphia Weekly”

3. Anonymous said... on Oct 31, 2012 at 03:52PM

“Wow your article just goes to re-afirm that Obama and his followers want socialism. Give me my free shit!!
Funny at the bottom of the screen on page 5 is an ad to contribute to the Romney campaign. I guess PW needs the money!!”

4. Cindy Davis said... on Nov 1, 2012 at 06:58PM

“Socialism? Give me my free shit??? Are you kidding me? Spoken like a true man. Damn, I wish we could give men's bodies the ability to conceive. Then we would see a whole new discussion when it came to unwanted or unplanned pregnancies.

5. Anonymous said... on Nov 6, 2012 at 06:43PM

“Pres. Obama loves to talk about how the rich don't pay their “fair share,” and how corrupt and evil his opponents are. He smugly barks out condemnation for cronyism and “obscene profits,” and he calls Gov. Mitt Romney a “bullsh-----.” Let's look at how Obama himself acts.

Apparently based on nothing more than an unsubstantiated claim by Harry Reid that Romney had paid no federal income taxes for 10 years, an ad approved by Obama (who laments the lack of decency in politics) asks, “Did Romney pay 0% in taxes?” A strange suggestion coming from a guy who appointed at least two people who we know had failed to pay owed taxes. One of them is Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner. Just before becoming head of the agency that oversees the IRS, he finally paid the last of his back taxes from six years earlier.

But just when you thought Obama's attack on Romney couldn't get any more hypocritical, it also comes from a guy who, with the world's fourth-richest man, billionaire Warren Buffet, has”

6. Betty Anne Pauly said... on Nov 13, 2012 at 06:25PM

“Cindy Davis....I always said, if men could get pregnant, then abortion would be a sacrament!”

PW's Quick & Easy Voters Guide for Tuesday, Nov. 6
By PW Staff

You do not need identification to vote on Tuesday, Nov. 6. We repeat: You do not need identification to vote.

6 Memorable Tweets About Women's Reproductive Rights
By Annamarya Scaccia

Let’s face it—the last year has been hell for women. The fight to keep reproductive choice intact was fiercer than ever before. It’s a mess, to put it mildly. But what do locals have to say about it? PW rounded up the six most memorable tweets from 2012 to give you an idea.