Angry-Man Author Buzz Bissinger Turns Himself Inside Out for Heartwrenching Memoir

The "Friday Night Lights" bestseller describes "Father's Day," out next week, as a "love letter to my son."

By Tara Murtha
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 8 | Posted May. 9, 2012

“A love letter to my son.”

“Who am I talking about?”

“About me.”

“About you.”

“Yeah.”

“Do you know how much I love you?”

“A lot.”

Buzz Bissinger will read from and discuss Father’s Day at the Central Library branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia on Wed., May 16, at 7:30pm. Admission is free.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5

COMMENTS

1. Kate O'Neill said... on May 9, 2012 at 03:31PM

“Buzz is familiar to me as a community guy who generously helped us with our book festival in its first year. He is friendly and open. His presentation about this book while he was still in the process of writing it was tender and moving. I am eager to read it. He is a gifted writer and a remarkable father.”

2. He knows me said... on May 9, 2012 at 07:52PM

“I never called him an asshole but I agree with those who did.”

3. Tim Weiner said... on May 9, 2012 at 09:54PM

“I know Buzz. I worked with him at the Inquirer back in the 20th century. He is an honest man, a great writer, and a good father. Trifecta. Read him at any cost; it'll be good for your soul. Take it from me. I know. Trust me. You can look me up. Yours, Tim Weiner.”

4. Anonymous said... on May 10, 2012 at 09:26AM

“Tara put together a wonderful story about a loving father, an author whose books and articles I enjoy. Buzz's ability to get the truth down on a page is amazing.”

5. Rick Lyman said... on May 10, 2012 at 11:17AM

“What will be great about the release of this book is not that it will let people get to know Buzz better, not that there's anything wrong with that, but because it'll let them get to know Zach, a truly wonderful person. And if you think Buzz is passionate on the subject of sports, get him talking about journalism and the ethics of non-fiction writing. I have never had a conversation with him on that topic that didn't end up stiffening my own spine.”

6. finnjc said... on May 16, 2012 at 09:20AM

“Buzz is one of those people who create a great conflict inside me. He oscillates between ireedemable jerk and insightful writer whose work fascinates me. I'm about halfway through the book and it's riveting to explore the conflict within Buzz about whether he wants his son to be more "normal" versus appreciating the small joys in how he is now.”

7. lori said... on May 30, 2012 at 01:53PM

“Have loved Buzz's stuff for years. This newest book is both heartwarming and heartwrenching. The story just seems to flow from his heart and soul.”

8. biffula said... on Jun 7, 2012 at 07:10PM

“Buzz is an a-hole and nuttier than squirrel turds.”