Fear and Loathing in Camp Bisco

A (nearly) sober account of the Disco Biscuits’
 drug-addled electro music festival.

By Brian McManus
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 151 | Posted Jul. 28, 2009

The rain is coming in sheets from all sides. It’s streaming in from every corner of the tent soaking my sleeping bag, book bag and my bag bag.

This downpour is worse than the day before, when violent thunder and a hailstorm whipped through the campgrounds for a few terrifying minutes and threatened to blow the tent clean away.

Today, the steady rain is in its fifth straight hour, and I need to figure out a way to keep at least one patch of tent dry to avoid a bone-chilling, awful night sleeping in mud and standing water. And piss. (More on that in a bit.)

The rain won’t let up, so I abandon the fight and venture into the night with the rest of stinky humanity. I join the wide-eyed, drugged-out zombies who stroll outside my tent by the thousands.

Certainly they’re as miserable in the cold rain as I am.

Only they aren’t. They are happy—smiling and dancing.

Difference is, they’re high as shit.

Well then, me too.

This is Camp Bisco, after all, and I’m entirely too sober.

Right at the crossroads of Where the Fuck Are We and Who the Fuck Cares sits Mariaville, New York, and a 200-acre slice of heaven called the Indian Lookout Country Club. Lush, green hills are broken up by strategic tree lines. Catch the right place to sit, and you can see miles of rolling wooded hills that make up Schenectady County, and one of the world’s most gorgeous sunsets.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Jul 28, 2009 at 11:35PM

“DUDE WTF!!! Way to blow up our spot...you make us sound like a bunch of circus freaks. Its a festival in the middle of bumfuck new york obviously we are going to party. You didnt have to rattle off every drug you heard mentioned in this drunken rambling you call an article. Do us all a favor and dont come next year you douchebag.”

2. jay stevenson said... on Jul 28, 2009 at 11:49PM

“Wow. I'm shocked that this article was published. This is just a small testament to the fact that newsprint media is on the out and out. I'm ashamed editors let this scatter-brained article past the drawing board. Any HST spin this author attempted fell far from the finish line. Way to actually review the music (sarcasm), ask the artists real and thought provoking questions (more sarcasm). I understand you're a writer and this form of shock writing may be gratifying in your own head, but there is simply no humor in any part of this article. None. It also annoys me you were actually given press credentials for Camp Bisco after an article like this.”

3. Anonymous said... on Jul 28, 2009 at 11:55PM

“on the scale of "circus freaks".....i think the literary panache of the author here far exceeds that of camp bisco

this piece in a word......RUBBISH”

4. Stubbs said... on Jul 28, 2009 at 11:55PM

“This is a horrible article. Have you ever been to a music festival before? There are drugs at Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Coachella, Glastonbury and EVERY MAJOR FESTIVAL throughout the world. Its a shame that PW couldnt find a reporter more dedicated to reviewing one of the best camp bisco performances this band has done in years or any of the other amazing music, artists or people at this festival.

Truthfully, you sound like you decided to focus on the worst elements of the weekend and then write a pretty poor article about it. I can't believe this is a cover story for any magazine. Pathetic.”

5. chilled briefly said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:03AM

“Dude you suck at Bisco... Way to hang out at the bottom. what you just described is not the festival i was at. A. whats a tent? i never got wet. you have lots to learn kid. way to make up HDR, HEMG, AC??? what?? where do you come from... just making shit up. i have never heard these terms. what are you 6 years old?! if you were smart you would have gotten yourself a hotel room or something. Jesus i should become a reporter after reading this pathetic attempt at some sort of parody. You missed all the best stories... was Lotus even at Camp this year?! I mean come on the Rage Stage... two girls one ez-up.... color wars... the VIP tent... way to be a racist too geez. you totally forgot to mention all the Jews that were there. i guess what im saying dude is you got pranked. what a joke. hook line and sinkered. what kind of dumbass puts there tent next to a fence near the venders?! you are some kind of glutton for punishment arent you?”

6. Chilled Briefly said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:15AM

“oh and i forgot... Biscuit kids hate glow sticks... they would certainly never wear them... thats crazy.”

7. Lime_Time said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:21AM

“uhhhhhh.... nannies?”

8. THEMOSTDOSED said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:29AM

“YOU ARE A HUGE TOOL.

STAY HOME NEXT YEAR.

ASS.”

9. NotTheCrocHunter said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:37AM

“Dude My campsite was right near where you were. Too bad you didn't come up and introduce yourself because I was definitely pissing on the tents of people around me I didn't know.”

10. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:46AM

“You suck, KYS.”

11. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:26AM

“You sir are a clueless loser and an even worse writer. This has to be one of the worst articles I've ever read and I'm embarrassed for you that your name is attached to this, and furthermore that you would want people to know that this is your work. I honestly can't imagine how some editor thought this was good.You provide no analytical or intellectual discussion on music. Any dip shit at this festival with a pen and pad could have written this. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.”

12. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:56AM

“ya pretty much hit the nail on the head

looks like your fans above know it too”

13. Scott said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 07:25AM

“The guy isn't completely wrong people. I understand he didn't focus on the music, however the culture is heavily based on drug use. No one can deny that. If you have ever been to a Bisco Shows, you know more than 50% of attendees are most likely on X or acid.

I do not applaud the writer, perhaps he should consider how fans will no longer read the PW now that he has turned everyone off.”

14. Melba said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 08:07AM

“The fact that he didn't even bother to listen to any of the music and focused on how many people were doing drugs just goes to show he came with an agenda. Next time you go to report on a music festival try reporting on the music. PW should be ashamed of itself for this article. I have been seeing the Disco Biscuits for 10 years and not because I love drugs, but because I love the music. I wonder if you even went out to talk to people who looked like they were loving the music? Apparently not. You was too busy drinking beer and talking to the locals to even care that the main act was on stage.

15. Miss K said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 08:13AM

“I have a headache after reading this. I really hope a paid degree isn't behind your writing style, because it's atrocious. It's painfully obvious how clever you think your writing is, and a decent writer should not be so overt about it. Just a tip for the next article: you are not Hunter S. Thompson.”

16. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 08:23AM

“Awwww the crybaby fans are upset because this isn't a happy glowing article about how great everything was! As a "man in the trenches" piece this is great and funny. It's obviously not meant to be some run-of-the-mill critical analysis about the music. And just because you write a first-person eyewitness account story doesn't mean you are trying to be Hunter S. Thompson. He didn't corner the market on that, people. This writer wrote honestly about his experiences, and his opinion about the event is just as valid as anyone else's. So get over it, whiners.”

17. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 08:26AM

“1. You suck at writing, you might want to try a different career path, buddy.

2. You made yourself sound like a fucking loser in this article. Who goes to Camp Bisco and pretends to be friendly to people and then judges them and demeans them in an article?

3. Fuck you, go away.”

18. jay stevenson said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 08:29AM

“Great job editors, you all misspelled the word, Biscuits on the cover of PW! And people pay for this periodical!?”

19. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 08:36AM

“You Spelled Biscuits wrong on the cover.... and stop quoting me jackass... I AM going to law school.”

20. kevlar said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 08:42AM

“seriously, you are fucking pussy. I had a tent and stayed dry the WHOLE weekend.

And the writing is atrocious. This is really pitiful.”

21. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 09:10AM

“This piece of pretentious writing wreaks of a putrid, narrow-minded perspective coming from the mind of a guy trying too hard to be funny. EPIC FAIL!

And the "honest" accounts from a closed-minded writer...well I can empathize with because 1) he is obviously retarded (can't even pitch a tent right) 2) had to talk about how miserable he was and how he had to find clever ways to get "hammered" so he can go to sleep in his sloppily made tent. Oh too baaad, I am so sowwy Bryan was too miserable to go and socialize and be open with others around him to perhaps sleep on higher and dryer ground. There are plenty of people who are open and friendly to strangers. It sucks that Bryan didn't even focus on the social community aspect of Camp Bisco but was more like an obsessive, creepy bird watcher on the lookout for "HDR's." Laaame.”

22. Anon-y said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 09:21AM

“"Wilcox is visibly distraught. “Our tent was stolen, bro,” he repeats over and over to no one in particular.

He’s definitely tripping balls."

Way to state the obvious like a jackass. It's insulting to read something where a writer's pretentious ego overshadows the main motive of writing well-thought out pieces for the viewers. Write like you're not writing to a bunch of Kindergartners. Your accounts on the constant drug use may have been embraced by the editors, but it being part of your main focus spaced in between with egocentric segments of you sulking about your over exaggerated misery is a total turn-off. You're trying too hard and you sound like every other reporter from the PW and CP. Get your own voice.”

23. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 09:27AM

“You are way too much of a bitch to eat acid so why you knockin other people for doing it when they clearly have more balls then you?”

24. Brian Mc Anus said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 09:46AM

“I really like about how you talk about the music in this article. You went to Camp and sat in a bar during the main act drinking jello shots? Lol, sweet life.”

25. Bill said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 09:48AM

“^ poster number 23, you are a moron.”

26. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 09:54AM

“I would be upset about this depiction of camp, but then I realized that PW is such an amateur publication that they couldn't afford a copy editor for THE COVER OF THE PUBLICATION to insure that the spell check didn't shit the bed. Anyhow, good luck with whatever it was that you were attempting to accomplish with the piece; if that was looking like an ill-equiped, socially backwards, dildo- then you won!

Also, invoking "Fear and Loathing" is more then just a crazy time, it is about a journalist interjecting himself into the story. What you did was simply list observations, and then tell an independent story about you sleeping in your own piss. But at least you got the "first draft, best draft" part right, because its obvious that you didn't take a second to read over what you wrote.”

27. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 09:57AM

“I thought the article was well written. You need to find a better spot for your tent next year, or stay in a hotel and use the shuttle.”

28. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:00AM

“what about the music?

on friday night the rain and the light show were working with the music. did you even check it out?”

29. Colin said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:17AM

“hahah, wow Bisco fans are a bunch of whiney little bitches.

30. Kt Lynn said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:29AM

“Brutally honest portrayal of the scene- Intensely descriptive to the point of relentlessness. Over all, a great read! And yes, we were definitely at the same festival that weekend-- sludge city, woo hoo!

Signed-
A Hardcore Electronica Junkie”

31. Kt Lynn said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:29AM

Signed-
A Hardcore Electronica Junkie”

32. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:37AM

“way to go professionalism!

my 5 year old cousin could have written this.”

33. Pete said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:40AM

“For everyone getting upset because the author chose to focus on the tDB/Camp Bisco attendees as opposed to the music, that's the fucking point you stupid fucks. The author didn't attend the festival to check out the music. He went to gather information and write a story about the fanbase and the no-holds-bar culture that surrounds the festival.

There is nothing inaccurate in this article aside from describing a "Hardcore Electronic Music Geek" as someone who gives a shit about Lotus.”

34. yahwoah said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:42AM

“^KT Lynn... if you are who i think you are, you are the definition of everything that is wrong with this scene”

35. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:44AM

“"And just because you write a first-person eyewitness account story doesn't mean you are trying to be Hunter S. Thompson. He didn't corner the market on that, people."

It's pretty apparent with the style of writing he employed and the titling of the article that he was in some way or form using a 'gonzo' writing style. He jumps back and forth in time, the flow of the story is interrupted and asynchronous.

While I do agree his portrayal of this scene is disturbingly accurate, it's pretty pathetic Bryan went into this assignment with such negativity. It's as if he was FORCED to go to Camp Bisco.”

36. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:46AM

“did you even see the biscuits at all or were you too busy pissing on your tent? this is a terrible article and i love the cover... you can't even spell the name of the band right. what a fail. this "newspaper" is such a joke i bet even philly is embarrassed to be associated with it.”

37. Piper said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 10:50AM

“Are you in middle school? Do you feel that to be "cool" that you have to mention drugs every five seconds? Sure, drug use is a part of ANY large musical gathering but why did you feel the need to glorify drug use instead of giving credit to one of the most hard-working bands in the industry. Articles like this are why "other Philadelphia musicians" look down their noses at the Biscuits, thanks! However, I'm glad that the Biscuits aren't sipping champagne with Lady Gaga and Perez Hilton because for the most part, it keeps judgemental assholes like you and your jello shots, scarves, and tight jeans away from the one weekend a year where I let loose and have the best time of my life. And good job on the creative title, buddy.”

38. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:02AM

“you spelled biscuits wrong on the front cover........FAIL”

39. Mike From Long Island (HEMG) said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:02AM

“While his portrayal might not be complete, Brian definitely captured a lot of the craziness found at Camp. Next time I'd recommend you try to embrace the community a little more and spend a little less time hugging the sidelines. I guarantee you'll have a much more optimistic outlook by the end of day 3.

This was my first bisco too, and while I may have been initially turned off by the scene on Thursday (RAIN!!), it was only because I still thought of myself as an outsider looking in. Campers are some of the most generous and happy-go-lucky people you'll ever meet. I don't only mean the dangerously inebriated, shoe less candy flippers prominently featured in your article. There were (mostly) clear heads and open hearts on hand at every turn who'd give you the shirt off their back, if they hadn't already taken it off to dance in the sun.

Also, a couple of doses of those hard drugs probably wouldn't have hurt ya enjoy the spectacle...”

40. Boof Booferson said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:25AM

“Obviously, this writer is what biscuits fans call an "Amatuer" I only wish i would have run into him so i could gonzo'd his dumb ass. i do one hell of a HST impression...

im pretty sure it would have gone something like this...
Bumbling Newb attempts setting up a simple wal-mart brand tent in a gulley behind a french fry stand....

me: hey hey HEY! You can't park here.
PW:Wha?!
me: You.. Can't... Park.. Here.
PW: Looks like a perfectly good parking space to me...

Raoul Duke: With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

41. joey said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:29AM

“aside from the rain, i have a hard time believing we were at the same festival. The people that i have seen at the last 5 Camps I have attended have been intelligent and devoted music fans, who relish in their favorite weekend of the year. I am not sure where all the mud eating, ecstacy blowing, dmt hallucinating, pretzel hugging cancer patients were that you refer to you in the article, but apparently, they were in the section where you piss in your tent and wonder why you woke up covered in bugs? Don't get me wrong, camp is for everyone, and the friendly staff at MCP and ILLC would be happy to accomodate people with all sorts of illnesses, and other disabilites - cancer patients included. In fact, the music of the disco biscuits has been used therapeutically to treat people with a vast array of ailments. The fact is - there are 10,000 people going to the beautiful middle of nowhere every year to hear AMAZING music, played by many talented musicians,”

42. joey said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:41AM

“including Philly's own The Disco Biscuits. These people are doctors, and lawyers, and muiscians, and students, and mothers and fathers, and teachers and athletes. I can assure that the VAST majority of the 10,000 people in attendance would profreed the headline of a magazine they were about to publish for glaring spelling errors before it his newstands. No music festival or large public gathering is going to perfect, or free from a certain seedy element, but perhaps the author only was exposed to that element because birds of a feather flock together...or perhaps he was to "hammered" on "jello shots" and self -petulance to know what he encountered at camp. I know that i saw thousands of smiling faces, who endured the elements while treated to some of the best music, electronica and otherwise, seen in years. I hope to see all those great people next year at camp, Brian, you can stay home and piss in your own house.”

43. joey said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:45AM

“^and NO i did not intentionally misspell "proofread" in the above comment. Luckily i am just an accountant and don't edit magazines like the fine editorial staff at PW.”

44. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:51AM

“I think this guy would be more qualified to review Philly's best appletinis instead of its best music festivals. Maybe if you knew how to camp or weren't such a pretentious prick to everyone around you you would have had a good time. This article should have been titled "Pretentious Writer Attempts To Go To A Festival And Fails Miserably."”

45. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:53AM

“Not sure it gets any more pathetic than this article - Don't quit your day job brah!”

46. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 11:57AM

“Self righteous prick. You get hammered on jello shots so you can sleep and you want to come down on 10,000 people, 9,800 of whom you didn't meet or even encounter. Rediculous... so what category would my doctor, lawyer, teacher, accounting, investment banking disco biscuits friends fall under? I'd say neither. Regardless of the fact that there are some scum at these festivals, the fact that you think you can sterotype 10,000 people in to 3 categories is insane. I know what category you'd fall under.

P.S. I'm sorry you were picked on in high school. Get over yourself.

And at least spell the damn name right on the cover. That enfuriates me more than anything. You can take the time to bad mouth 10,000 ppl, but you can't get someone to proofread a cover page.”

47. Boof Booferson said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:05PM

“Raoul Duke: There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.
Raoul Duke: What was I doing here? What was the meaning of this trip? Was I just roaming around in a drug frenzy of some kind? Or had I really come out here to CampBisco to work on a story? Who are these people, these faces? Where do they come from? And sweet Jesus, there were a hell of a lot of them at 4:30 on a Sunday morning, still humping the American dream (ragestage), that vision of the big winner somehow emerging from the last minute pre-dawn chaos of a stale Vegas casino.
Raoul Duke: But our trip was different. It was to be a classic affirmation of everything right and true in the national character. A gross physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country. But only for those with true grit.
Raoul Duke:And we are chock full of that, man.
Dr. Gonzo: Damn Right!”

48. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:12PM

“WOW. This article is horrible. First off, if you aren't smart enough to bring a rain jacket, waterproof boots/shoes, or even an umbrella to a festival don't complain about being soaked. Anyone who can check www.weather.com knew to expect the worst. If your tent floods (again your fault for having a crappy tent, or camping in an area where it will obviously flood) take all of your gear out immediately and store it in your car. This guy didn't even review the music... total hit piece with some sort of oddly placed compliment in the last paragraph. Oh and an inexcusable typo on the COVER of the paper. Unbelievable.”

49. ae said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:18PM

“You miss-spelled "biscuits" on the FRONT COVER!!!!! What kind of bush league paper is this? How can anybody even take you seriously after that? I Wouldn't even open the front page if i saw that FAIL. Also, did you even review any bands at all? You mentioned some but nothing about their music. Why did you even go? Just to pick out the scum of the festival while all the real fans where at the show. YOU SHOULD BE FIRED. MUSIC REVIEW FAIL!”

50. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:30PM

“sounds like you got served and are still in shock about it”

51. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:37PM

“The Biscuits - Phish/moe. aside‚ I can hardly imagine almost any act with the following‚ clout‚ repertoire‚ and balls to straight up own a festival by playing 6 unbelievable sets over 3 days and filling the air with so much music. Through their history‚ diversity‚ incredible improvisation ability‚ and general desire to host a throw-down with some epic names behind it‚ the Disco Biscuits really set themselves apart as hosts‚ so to speak‚ of this amazing gathering. Whether it's the random encounter with Barber talking about fertilizer at 5am‚ Brownstein either playing in or checking out every act at the festival‚ or the fact that they're the lot of them all wreaking havoc all over the ground on golf carts all day long‚ there's really just a notable feeling that the Biscuits are your gracious hosts for the weekend‚ and it's going to be a hell of a ride‚ but they've got you covered…
Visit Camp Bisco”

52. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:40PM

“Absolutely soulless of you to write this piece-of-shit article. Not only are you destroying possibilities for music-lovers of a specific genre to be able to enjoy an incredible music experience in the future, you are tarnishing the name of many artists by attempting to directly associate what some individuals might do to "heighten" their experience. Something you should take into consideration: there are sober fans out there. Don't ruin the chances for us to enjoy something special that only comes around once a year.

Straying away from the subject matter of the article, the composition of the article should make you embarrassed in concern to your poor writing abilities and the entire written piece was devoid of any interesting literary style.

How you managed to dislodge this massive piece of garbage from your colon and wipe it on a sheet of paper is beyond me.”

53. Stirling from GA said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:42PM

“I attended CB III many years ago. We had tons of fun. That being said, this article is pretty much spot on with my expectation as to how this festival has progressed. I'm glad that tDB is seemingly growing in popularity and continues to thrive within the music community.

To all those upset with the authors take on this event, get over yourselves. A little dose of reality, thats exactly what it is, and everyone gets all defensive. I'm all about partying and partaking in some extra-curriculars in certain settings, but to the extent and excess that it is taken to at events like this is simply absurd. There's a reason tDB has garnered such a distinctive reputation. Spunions, wooks, tree thuggers...whatever moniker you prefer...enjoy yourselves however you wish, but don't get pissed when someone calls you on it.”

54. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:45PM

“I guess the author was trying to get a different perspective on the festival by focusing on the attendees, but all the problems with the Biscuits scene stem from people focusing on the scene rather than the music. So he's not helping anything.

Obviously this guy is a total newb, knows next to nothing about the Biscuits and electronic music in general, and had a seriously negative agenda. The article itself wasn't that poorly written, but the content was just so far off from what I want to read about an event that I couldn't take it seriously at all. And the typo on the cover? It seems like you didn't take this too seriously yourself. So... kys.”

55. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 12:52PM

“This is a terrible review of Camp Bisco, and it reflects the low-quality reporting that the Philadelphia Weekly has stooped to recently. I attended Camp Bisco this past year, and I feel that it is like all other festivals in that if you are looking to find drugs and drug users, you will find them. Mr. McManus has greatly over exaggerated the openness of drugs there. Unlike other festivals, security officials ride around the campgrounds on ATV's, obtaining individuals trying to sell drugs. I felt at Camp that if you are attending to enjoy the music, you can avoid the drugs completely. Obviously Mr. McManus went to the festival looking for the dirtiest aspects to report on, and he was able to find them, wandering the campgrounds all day and not paying any mind to the music, which Mr. McManus has forgotten is the focal point of Camp Bisco for almost all of the attendees.
I hope in the future the PW will raise its standards in reporting.”

56. Philly music lover said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:09PM

“What a real music article in a free paper should look like:

Brian's lack of professionalism is far from Gonzo-esque, it's simply laughable. Not one sentence of this article makes me feel that his opinion is worth any consideration, it does, however, make me wonder why he wasn't laid off a few weeks ago. Surely there are more qualified writers that could have been spared in his place.”

57. Boof Booferson said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:12PM

“Dr. Gonzo: I saw these bastards in Easy Rider, but I didn't believe they were real. Not like this, man, not hundreds of them.
Raoul Duke: They're actually pretty nice people once you get to know them.
Dr. Gonzo: Know them? I know these people in my goddamn blood.
Raoul Duke: Don't say that word around here. You'll get them excited.

Raoul Duke: Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive. Impossible to walk in this muck. No footing at all.

58. bisquik said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:27PM

“I can't get past the fact there was such a major typo on the front cover. Jeezus.”

59. Katie Lynn said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:28PM

“I've been a part of this scene for a very long time.. Come to think of it, I grew up in this scene. I've seen it all. The incredible highs, (whether chemically induced, or purely because of the community) and the undeniable lows. There is so much truth in this Interview; an excellent review of an outsiders perspective.

Who are you kidding with "Low Pro"- there is no such thing as low profile these days. You are forever a walking example.

Minus the unfortunate weather conditions; all of that was it's own mess in itself. I honestly believe that there are a lot of disgruntled individuals of a flourishing generation emitting the WRONG frequencies, sending out the WRONG messages and are attending these festivals for the WRONG reasons. It's gotten to the point of potentially taking the NEXT generation to the brink of social castrophe. Yep, I said it.”

60. Mike P. said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:30PM

“Your article has a lot of accuracy as far as to the people there and what goes on, but you didn't need to give away so much information. The quotes from the band in your article state that the scene is growing, but it seems you are trying to inform and take it away. There is more that goes on and if you didn't hide in the beer tent all day, and enjoyed the music, you would've seen that.”

61. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:31PM

“And as far as all of you becoming so intensely offended with this dudes review....

He has every right to have his own opinion. So much right he gets paid for it. I would take this article as a wake up call and.....

Lead by example.

I admit I am a part of this scene, but I'd like to think that I am a part of the revolution.”

62. writebetter said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:31PM

“This article has no business being the cover story of a largely distributed newspaper. More than anything, this was an editorial of a single person's view of a terrible weather experience and a obvious drug culture that has sprouted through a love for music. Not once were the performances commented on. In fact, more time was spent on the writer's relations with the local bartenders than quotes from actual fans of the article's topic. The pairing of music and drugs is not a new occurrence. If you're going to write an article on an old topic, bring new ideas and research to the table. That's what reporting is about.”

63. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:32PM

“"What a real music article in a free paper should look like:

Oh please, that Amanda Blank article is a boring puff piece, the kind of thing we've read and yawned at a million times. If that's your idea of a "real music article" then you must be as boring as it is. This Disco Biscuits article took a look at the scene and called it for what it is, and most of the people leaving comments here, instead of looking at themselves and their scene in the mirror are just name calling or making fun of someone's camping skills or pointing out a typo on the cover, which I'm sure Philly Weekly regrets but in no way affects the credibility of the article or the writer. Don't be in denial about what Camp Bisco is or how a lot of the people who go there act, or what and how much drugs they take. Stop crying, step away from your bias, and look at the thing objectively like this writer did.”

64. sj said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:33PM

“Hey Biscuit fans, look in the mirror and stuff it.”

65. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:42PM

“Next time, stick to the nice, family-oriented Eagles games, you jack-ass! You know the ones with drunken brawls, police beatings, and nitrous tanks outside the gate...even the mainstream ain't all whitewash and khakis.”

66. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:47PM

“Disco Biscuits Fans Oath:

1. When I read something I agree with about my favorite band in an article, I will call it "good journalism" and say that the writer "gets it"; when I read something I don't agree with about my favorite band in an article, i will call it "poor journalism" and say that the writer is "a douchebag."

2. Whenever I see an article that doesn't conform to my personal beliefs about how an event should be covered or what the content is, I will not only say that it's a piece of crap article but that the writer should be laid off/fired/hung from a telephone pole, AND that the article should never have been printed in the first place, because clearly MY opinion is the only one that matters or is valid and thoughts/opinions that are not exactly my own should never be printed.

67. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:48PM

“Awesome review. If you think whining and complaining about rain and mud and getting drunk is cool, then Camp Bisco is NOT for you. Please stay away.”

68. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 01:51PM

“I AGREE WITH COMMENT 63. GROW UP, KIDS.”

69. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:08PM

“Imagine that you were hired to report on the Eagles game and instead of talking about the game in your article all you did was report in detail about the amount of beer consumed amongst the fans and all the brawling and foul language you observed. You are a total idiot!! And not to mention a lying scum bag. I heard you were coming up to Camp under the pretense that you were reporting on how the Disco Biscuits have quietly become the the biggest band in the scene. All you did was piss on your tent, get hammered and whine about the mud. Way to focus on the wrong thing (drug use-- oh novel idea) and expose yourself to be a crap reporter with no ability to delve into the scene and process what really went on. The love of the music. The palpable love between the fans and the band. This is a community of like-minded people, no matter what they choose to do to enhance it. You missed the point. Its sad and infuriating. I didnt do a drug the whole weekend and had the best time of my life.”

70. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:10PM

“even a college paper could write a better article: http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2003/09/09-29-03tdc/09-29-03dnews-05.asp”

71. anonymous and offended said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:10PM

“this article is more clearly biased than most. wouldn't you stand in the rain to see your favorite band? and maybe i don't like your favorite band, but i'm not going to assume you have to be on drugs to get through it.
have you ever been to any other festival? a lot of the things you seem to think are specific to the bisco scene are, in fact, common along the entire festival circuit.
people like drugs. people do drugs in a lot of places, in a lot of ways. camp bisco is not the most drug addled place anyone has ever seen, and it is not fair for you to make it sound as such.
and speaking of drugs: alcohol counts! you went and missed the main point of the festival (the headlining band) and instead spent your time in a bar. getting drunk. that's definitely classier than the people who withstood the rain to see the music they enjoy. (i feel the need to point out my own sarcasm, to make sure this is not misunderstood.)

72. anonymous and offended said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:10PM

“(continued from above)
people go to have fun, plain and simple. there's no law that says you can't have fun in the rain. in fact, if you let yourself remember being a little kid you'll probably remember a time you got past the "being wet" part and let the splashing get you in a good mood. granted, having a poorly constructed tent would put a damper on your evening. if you had a tent that you KNEW would have stayed dry it would have been easier on your whole day. i had a great time in the rain knowing i had a dry place to lay my head at night.
i could go on for hours, but the point is:
you have no idea what you're talking about”

73. truth said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:14PM

“Tree Thuggers

yeah, that's what this lame ass "scene" is. Marginal music, drugged out wookie fans, pretty weak overall. Good article that tells the truth. I'd rather see a quality DJ show like Thievery or Shadow than noddle wanker fest like bisco. I've heard better singing from bums on a street corner.

Lastly, as far as modern Philly acts go, Ween has a much bigger national/International fan base and a vastly superior band, musically, that is.

74. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:17PM

“Surely it is true that people come to Camp Bisco to get high. No doubt. What a narrow view of a festival which draws thousands. The majority of people go for the Biscuits! They put on a rage fest for 3 days. Don't sleep, just twitch. There is too much dance music. Of course there is sillyness. One of the most unpublishable articles I've ever set eyes on.

Dear author: Go eat a bag of sh*t-dipped d*cks. Jumbo family size ones. Clearance rack at Costco. You bozo!”

75. anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:32PM

“Did you manage to stop by the HeadCount tent, where thousands of kids stopped in to write letters to congress in order to facilitate social change. They were there to play a game show which focused on musical and political trivia, with the hopes of winning a free trip to jamiaca with the band. If you had stopped by at any point, you may have had another interesting angle to write about: The pre-eminent Voter-Registration organization in the music world, having registered 160,000 music fans in five years, is chaired by the bassist of the band you hate so much, and the volunteers that run this group are all over this so called "drug-addled scene". There are so many positive things about this festival and the scene that were ignored it is a joke. Bryan, I may stop by your office to tell you what an ass you are in person. I get it. This article is more interesting to the average guy than another crappy music review. It's called tabloid journalism.”

76. Coexisting ain't such a bad idea... said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:34PM

“I acknowledge the honesty but Mr. McManus' points came from a distance. It was as if he was intimidated or scared to get a real interactive report on the bigger picture. Eaves dropping on conversations without actually immersing himself to interact with the community in the scene resembles poor reporting. If he's already experiencing Camp from sleeping in piss water and being offered cheap drugs, then at least take the next step by talking with some of the hardcore music fans that aren't spun out. Sure, drugs are always an interesting topic to read about, but it's been overdone so why not try to delve deeper into the matter by interacting with the fans there.”

77. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:35PM

““Imagine that you were hired to report on the Eagles game and instead of talking about the game in your article all you did was report in detail about the amount of beer consumed amongst the fans and all the brawling and foul language you observed."

Yes, I'd rather read THAT article than some boring recap of the Eagles game that you could read in 10,000 other places!! I want to read something different and interesting that looks at different angles and perspectives rather than the usual. Nobody ever said this article was supposed to be a "music review" - unlike some of you, this writer chose to think and write out of the box. It's a snapshot of the scene he saw and experienced, and he did a good job.”

78. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:51PM

“If you are going to write a piece about the culture, then how did you miss that this festival is about live music, live art, and nature? What about all the people there who enjoy camping and the outdoors and love Camp Bisco because they meet like-minded people interested in sustainability and environmental issues? Or all of the incredible art - from artists selling clothing and paintings, to the weekend-long live art exhibition in front of the stage? Writing an article about this festival could have been an incredible eye-opening experience, but instead you just complained about the rain.”

79. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 02:55PM

“Stereotype-makers are people like McManus. Truth.
He wrote a column called, "Stereotypewriter."
The article was extremely stereotyped and biased from
one Catholic POV. No surprise.

80. e.sly said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 03:14PM

“Personally I don't feel this article goes far enough. If the author wanted to give a harsh literary criticism of the camp bisco scene he played it much too safe. In writing such as this where you are giving an eye witness account you really need to take a position and go for it. Some of the details he includes are irrelevant and do not add to his criticism of the drug indulgent scene that I experienced this year at camp bisco. By the end I wasn't even exactly sure what his intent was with this article. If he was trying to build an intelligent argument illuminating the problems with camp (rampant unmonitored drug use done not for any sort of spiritual experience but for the sheer opportunity to proclaim how fucked up you are, the elitist attitude of those who have been part of the "scene" for the longest, unsanitary and environmentally unfriendly conditions, etc.) he missed the mark.

And I agree it certainly isn't of the caliber that Hunter S. Thompson's writing is.”

81. Dustin Ballard said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 03:16PM

“fuck you buddy, i have no need to remain anonymous. don't come back asshole. drugs are not what camp bisco is about. have you been to any other festies, they are way trashier than camp. kill yourself you fucking scumbag”

82. Low-Pro said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 03:32PM

“Dude i dont know how the writer of this article had so many problems. ie. sleeping in piss losing his flip flops etc...

I raged Camp Bisco on 7 drugs all at the same time and managed to... stay clean, dry, not lose anything, have the time of my life, make it home safely and in one piece.

The Writer obviously sucks at life!”

83. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 03:38PM

“WOW.
it's not even really that negative.
he talked about the drug use.
BUT WHAT?
he couldn't NOT talk about it...
you pussies are so thin-skinned!
GROW A F*CKING PAIR OF BALLS, PEOPLE.”

84. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 03:56PM

“has no one read a mcmanus story before this one?
the dude seems to have his shit together.

85. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 04:04PM

“what story... the one about him "almost coming in his pants" because he met some male model. how about the pic of him with the male model.. throwing up the generic peace sign and making a chick kissy face. dude is a dweeb. someone please link the article about this... its hilarious. the article could have never existed and this guy would still be a complete idiot. email me when you lose this job and need some work.. we have some housekeeping positions open at my hotel.”

86. ASS2MOUTH said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 04:05PM

“I bask in your misery you panzy.”

87. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 04:07PM

“Wow, he didn't even take the time to go to the concert and see them play......beeeeeecause the biscuits suck.

Everyone seems so shocked, and yet it's plain as day. Your band is garbage.

Wake up people- you are the story. the music is a travesty.

db sux= wsp sux”

88. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 04:09PM

“Nice article - spot on description of the Biscuit culture, with maybe the exception of not pointing out how hypocritical they are when you try to show them what they look like with an article like this.

Also, love how even the band members admit to the strength of the drug scene they create, but the "fans" simply gloss over that.

Admit it you sloppy Bisco cuntzzz - you are a drugged out crowd. It's reality people. Welcome to it.”

89. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 04:14PM

“For personal reasons, I spent this camp completely sober. We go every year, and I look forward to hanging out for 3 days with good friends, camping and having a blast.

I could go to any bar, any sports game/concert parking lot, any night of the week, or day for that matter, and talk about people overindulging in drugs (remember alcohol is a drug, it's just "legal"), quoting the ridiculous things that come out of their mouths.

It's an amazing thing to get this magnitude of people together, all here for the same thing, having an amazing experience. Sometimes I look around and I think, this is awesome that with all the bullshit going on in the world, people can forget about it, and just have a f*cking good time listening to good music and camping under the stars. Looks like Brian missed that part of it.

Sure, some get really messed up, but it's kind of like that saying, "anyone driving faster than you is driving too fast, and everyone driving slower than you is driving too slow"”

90. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 05:19PM

“You are an awful writer and failed to mention the music. Aren't you supposed to a music writer?

Here is how a real writer reviews a music festival.

You sir are a hack and you couldn't even spell Biscuits correctly on the cover of your rag.”

91. matt said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 05:25PM

“Great job. Spot on article.

I can't believe the amount of comments from these whiny Bisco fans. Oh wait. I can.

If someone says one slightly negative thing about your man-crush, it's torches and pitchforks. Open your fucking eyes for once.”

92. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 05:55PM

“#90 -- How the fuck is that even remotely a good article? It uses a lot of words but says NOTHING. There's nothing enlightening or interesting about the description of the music. "Their trancey take on melodic rock is highly addictive and not to be missed." What does that say at ALL? That's junior high school writing. It's all cliche and meaningless adjectives or comparisons, and you think that qualifies as a real writer reviewing something? It's empty and cowardly writing, written without any real ideas or any solid opinions at all. The Philadelphia Weekly article establishes a distinct point of view, illustrates its point, is entertaining and real and calls it like it is without trying to pander to anyone. Maybe you're just not smart enough to read anything except hollow writing that says nothing, means nothing and is totally forgettable 2 minutes after you read it.”

93. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 05:57PM

“The problem is that the author is a flaming homosexual. And I'm not saying that you can't be gay and like the biscuits, but you would have to be a pretty cool gay guy to do both, and he clearly is not. I doubt he enjoys Eagles games either.”

94. Anonymous said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 06:09PM

“this is the last time I will ever read PW. plain and simple.”

95. Bisco is just average said... on Jul 29, 2009 at 06:41PM

“why the fuck would you want to camp out in a hot-ass field for 3 days? The biscuits are at best "so-so"..jam bands don't really appeal to me, nor does paying WAAAY to much for a ticket to "rage" with a bunch of neo-hippies who think they know what good music is..this "scene" is BUNK!!!!”

96. Anonymous said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 01:02AM

“As long as media exists, so will biased articles written by closed minded journalists like this one. To each his own, I suppose. Still, I'm confused as to why someone who doesn't even seem to like music would work for this magazine and be sent on assignment to a music festival?

As much as I would like to get the 12 mins of my life that I spent reading this garbage back, I really enjoyed the part where he slept in a piss-ridden tent with an orgy of mosquitoes. Priceless!!!!!! no wonder you had a horrible time n00b”

97. tubbo said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 10:07AM

“Bisco's long been touted as having a "sketchy" crowd. i see it even in their NYE shows in Philly. but it's no less sketchy than any other jam band or any other major capitalist festival like Bonnaroo, Coachella, etc. and i don't think the writer had a terrible time at all. you kids are just mad because the added media attention is going to spark a huge wave of even-sketchier drug pushers who already FLOOD Bisco with their hustle.

98. Anonymous said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 10:18AM

“i'm starting to actually believe that you BISCO KIDS are the ones that are close-minded.

please, take a shower and STFU.”

99. OnceTheFiddlerFailed said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 10:41AM

“Serious lolz @ the bisco kidzzz with their panties in a bunch over this article. I for one, applaud the author for shedding some light on one of the most notoriously disgusting and drugged-out "scenes" in current American music. It could have been a lot worse, too. You sketchballs got off easy.”

100. Anonymous said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 11:17AM

“100 comments. someone has definitely got their panties in a wad.”

101. who cares, the biscuits are underwhelming anyway said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 01:51PM

“Hilarious.”

102. Anonymous said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 02:09PM

“"take your cues from Burning Man and become self-policing and self-sufficient. that's the only way to transform Bisco from "A Poor Man's Bonnaroo" to "The Next Generation of Music Festivals"."

Burning man has major "police" presence that includes Federal Bureau of Land Management Rangers, Pershing County Sheriff's Office, Washoe County Sheriff's Office, Nevada State Department of Investigations, Nevada State Health Division, and Nevada Highway Patrol. And Burning Man's "self sufficiency" is a joke. Do you have any idea how much time, energy, gas, and resources are used for that one week of partying? Burning Man and the ideas that festival push are part of the problem why real fests that are supporting the touring musicians are struggling and full of sketch. Support musicians. Pay them, pay the fire performers, pay the djs, pay the installation artists and support for-profit fests. If you don't spend time doing that don't complain about the current state of the music industry.”

103. Anonymous said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 02:36PM

“Apparently everyone who is commenting on this article was on drugs if they think this wasn't an accurate depiction on Camp Bisco. The majority of the pppl there come for the scene not the music. If the band is proud of themselves for inventing a drug haven then good for them but thats not something that most bands try to achieve. The Bisco scene is getting worse and worse and becoming less and less about the music. So how bout everyone gets off their high horses here and just admit to themselves that they really are and clean up their acts!!!!”

104. JCDET said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 03:30PM

“Disco Biscuits is NOT electro music. You gotta reach back a little bit for this. Afrika Bambaataa? Dopplereffekt? That's real electro.”

105. banter said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 04:11PM

“wow 104 bad reviews, not bad, i have been seeing this band since '05, am 20 yrs old, live 200 miles from home, not in school, work 60-70 hours a week as a sou chef in a 4 star restaurant , pay all my own bills, rent, and send money to my parents. camp is my one vacation i get out of the year and i work hard for it. when i get a call from my father in philly telling me to read this article it pisses me off, he knows what goes on at festivals, hes not retarded like you think most of pw readers are. it must be nice to get paid to go to camp! although, a good journalist wouldn't just hangout at the bar and talk to mostly the fuckups. it's a shame that you didn't get to meet any of the great people who are there for the band. there are allot more of us than you think, and we're not at the bar. like the Digital Buddhas' tent, you no, the sober biscuit fans, its kinda fuckedup that you make them look bad. your editor should fire you for just talking to spun-out fucks and getting drunk. kys.”

106. Anonymous said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 04:34PM

“so...banter. you're an uneducated cook. cry me a river.”

107. Avid Festival Go-er said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 04:43PM

“You should not go back to any festivals.
I gues your article a huge DDDDUUUUUUUHHHHHH.
What the hell did you think was going on, and did you really need to write an article about it, potentially blowing up the spot of a bunch of people who just want to have a goddamn good time without being harassed for a few days.
If you dont like it, dont go. Ass monkey.”

108. not your average joe said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 05:12PM

“"it happens to fests, deal with it. unfortunately, the more media attention a festival like this recieves, the more of that undesirable element is likely to attend. how do you remedy this? take your cues from Burning Man and become self-policing and self-sufficient. that's the only way to transform Bisco from "A Poor Man's Bonnaroo" to "The Next Generation of Music Festivals".”

Actually, it is the next generation of music festivals... And we do self police ourselves... better than any festival i have ever been to. any smart man would easily choose camp over Bonaroo... Bonnaroo is a cess pool of mediocrity... a cross section of the general scene. Joe Average goes to Bonnaroo... It takes balls to run wild at Camp Bisco. it is definately not for the faint of heart. Bisco is for hardcore music fans interested in seeing musicians who really lay it on the line and explore possibilties. I feel like a richman! Best Festival EVER!!!! RAGE STAGE FOR LIFE!!! WHORUNIT!”

109. UKNOWHORUNIT said... on Jul 30, 2009 at 05:31PM

“wake up people. its CAMP BISCO!!! the most in your face real festival out there! I hear people saying that camp is too much, its absurd, etc etc.

Hello, thats the idea. we are talking about the DISCO mutha fuking BISCUITS here. this aint the fucking Dave Mathews Band... The DISCO BISCUITS are the most interesting hardcore face melting rock and roll band touring right now. this is fucking rock and roll!!! they are the Best. hands down. like it or not. that is what is going on. they are having sex with your sister, teaching your mom how to groove again and reallly pissing off your Dad.

"Its not the Pile, Its Piling it HIGHER!" you dont go to camp bisco and do anything half assed... you go all the way and then some. If your not raging the dance floor, meeting a hundred new awesome people, and banging two chicks at the same time or having an orgy with 18 people stuffed into a 4 man tent by sunday morning.... you have come to the wrong place my friend.

Welcome to Camp! Bitches.”

110. Anonymous said... on Jul 31, 2009 at 01:33AM

“Please do not ever reference Hunter Thompson's work in an attempt to gain readership again. This article is poorly written and just plain sucky. You are not HST and never will be. If Thompson was at camp bisco, I really he wouldn't have been hiding in the covered bar like a vag because the it's raining outside. It's camp bisco. Yes, many of the fans are consuming drugs -- deal with it! Maybe YOU should try some ecstasy instead of getting retarded drunk, then you would actually have a good time, and not come across as such a douchebag. I don't see what made you think you should write an article on camp bisco when you:
a) obviously don't like the biscuits
b) obviously dislike the fans
c) are an asshat”

111. Josh the journalist said... on Jul 31, 2009 at 01:45AM

“F on this blawg”

112. Hey B-Rye! said... on Jul 31, 2009 at 01:54AM

“Brian McAnus FTW! ;)”

113. Eli Grey said... on Jul 31, 2009 at 08:29AM

“So, Everyone who goes to festivals or knows anything about the scene ALREADY KNOWS about the "Spunions" so whats the point in focusing on the drug use? (Although when I'm there I'm doing the same thing, by which I mean testing all of 'em) Waht I want to know is How was the show and what you garnered from the experience. If you were just gonna be a lame ass drunk and just sit in the bar for the Biscuits, why didn't you just stay in Kensington you smarmy little cunt?”

114. Color War said... on Jul 31, 2009 at 06:41PM

“So, since your article was only about the "fans and the camp bisco culture," did you bother to check out Color War, a 5-year running FAN-RUN event? We were on the main stage field for 7 hours on Friday afternoon...pretty tough to miss, unless you were busy taking down the names of people hugging a pretzel machine and stalking free jello-shots. I'll be sure to add "Shitty Philadlephia Weekly Reporter" to my scavenger hunt list next year.”

115. Anonymous said... on Aug 3, 2009 at 12:00PM

“Well, did you get the response you were looking for Mcmanus?? I can understand writing a shitty review on a music album, but don't really see the point in bashing on a music festival. Sounds like it was a great time. You could go to any festival and see the same shit. Really, you could have been a little more creative. I'm sorry about your cold purple nub, thats a shame. Maybe that is your problem Girls (and guys) don't like playing with little nubs, douche.”

116. Nithya R. said... on Aug 3, 2009 at 12:27PM

“WOW. Holy defensiveness!

As someone who was there in a work capacity, I gotta this was pretty damn accurate as to what I saw.

No judgment here: people were there to cut loose and enjoy themselves any damn way they wanted to. It just so happens that included being RETARDEDLY out. of. their. fucking. minds. and doing things like eating mud and peeing in their pants.

Yo, if that's your idea of a good time, more power to ya's.

Nice job, Brian!

117. Anonymous said... on Aug 3, 2009 at 04:14PM

“unfortunately this article does depict a normal night at a biscuits festival. except the people he talked about are the assholes most of us stay away from. too bad those douches ruin the image of the "scene" as a whole. i remember when you could actually enjoy yourself at camp and didnt have retards asking to cook drugs in your rv microwave. no wonder i dont go anymore.”

118. kellybird said... on Aug 3, 2009 at 08:21PM

“I cracked up at some of the lines in this article; but other than that--if you're going to report at a festival, try not hanging out getting wasted on alcohol; and go to the shows, man.”

119. this article is a piece of shit said... on Aug 4, 2009 at 08:28AM

“so you could not even spell the name of the band on the cover correctly? WOW, you need to hire some new editors, copywriters and reporters. Not to mention monkey in a suit that even let this piece of horribly written article hit news stands. I think I'm going to start a mag in Philly. Who is in?”

120. tara murtha said... on Aug 4, 2009 at 01:15PM

“Huh. I never heard of "rape vans" before.

... or thought about concert security in terms of rape opportunity.

"hay was the first thing, better attitude like they had last year - that would be hte next thing. ive never seen staff abandon their positions to see music - you could serious rape someone backstage during biscuits and no one would be watching you"

121. wow said... on Aug 5, 2009 at 12:50PM

“How is this article newsworthy? Its not, which is all too common for Philadelphia Weekly's one good article a week bullshit. Why even publish when citypaper makes at least a half ass attempt?”

122. Erin said... on Aug 5, 2009 at 05:06PM

“"On this weekend, July 16 through 18, the land belongs to Camp Bisco—the largest, most drug-crazed electronic music festival on the East Coast.
"

Dear god, I hope you don't make a trip to WMC next year...”

123. Far Trust said... on Aug 6, 2009 at 10:23AM

“Hey, I guess there's a place for everything...

I'd rather have all the Trustafarians up on some farm in New York state than bringing their Phish-meets Frat Party trainwreck to the city..

Live 8 was bad enough, I've never seen so many white people in philadelphia in my life....”

124. bitches said... on Aug 12, 2009 at 10:52AM

“This article has nothing to do with the music of the festival because it didn't intend to. If you can't see this crawl out of your ass. While your outside of your ass, ask yourself why you go to Bisco shows. Be honest with yourself. If the drugs weren't there most of you "fans" wouldn't be their either. Brownstein would be lawyer, Aron would be a doctor, Barber would be drunk somewhere, and Allen would still be playing the drums in his mom's basement. If your a "real fan" you may like the music as well or better than the drugs, but if the drugs weren't there the Biscuits wouldn't be there either. The Disco Biscuits are a successful act because the provide two equal services: music and a market for drug exchange. Both of these two services are dependent on each other. If you can't except this your probably still in your ass next to those pressies you booty bumped 15 minutes ago.”

125. Anonymous said... on Aug 20, 2009 at 11:48PM

“i love the biscuits no matter what sort of slander is posted about them, over all they are an amazing group and put on (most of the time) a really good show, and attract a new younger crowd which is nice, although the drug use is heavy at bisco and most biscuit shows, what festival/ show thats in this sort of genre is not? stop being so critical towards my beloved biscuits and play nice. try ranting and raving about a festival thats a little more controversial like bonaroo. in my honest opinion, if i wanted to go get shitfaced and mosh with a bunch of drunkards i would, but i like to eat ecstasy and smoke my dankity with my people and love everyone around because mostly everyones there to have a good time, minus the people that just go to work, but in all seriousness there is a need for such things like camp bisco to continue on strong to make the evolution of this country and its music and many other things so great. GOD BLESS AMERICA . AMERICA FUCK YEAH! team america world police!<33”

126. Anonymous said... on Aug 30, 2009 at 11:11PM

“Its great to see a story about Camp Bisco. Takes me back, I cannot believe its already September! what a great few days..

I wish it could have lasted forever.. I was surprised Saturday that more people did not go to the Reality Check tent when Brownie was there ... the highlight of my experience, talking to Brownie XD :D”

127. PW McHugh said... on Feb 14, 2010 at 10:47AM

“This article was awesome, unsentimental and successful as a piece of actual writing instead of a play out of the mutual-hand-job play book. You gotta allow for some artistic flair, you big Bisco cry-babies! Pretend for a second it's not about you, and you'll see this is an exceptionally engaging read.
-pwm”

128. Narly Davidson said... on Mar 24, 2010 at 12:33PM

“Just got around to reading this. Decent writing, but missed some serious high-notes. I'm mainly interested in why the Color Wars program wasn't mentioned. CW's continues to engage a growing number of attendees to participate in physical, gym-class style games for the sheer fun of competition. These are diligently organized by the fans and get more creative each year. Plus, they're held in front of the main stage all day, so they're impossible to miss. Tell me that getting the Bisco crew to run around after 1.5 days of hard-core partying isn't an accomplishment and I'll call you Sir Isaac Newb-ton.”

129. Dan From NY(518) said... on Jun 7, 2010 at 09:48AM

“Dude, camp was one of the best experiences of my life. The people I encountered were some of the coolest, down to earth, generous, and loving people I've ever met. Just because Camp had drugs there, doesnt mean that it was a horrible place. Just like you have the right to have your own opinion, people have the right to go and enjoy themselves (by any means) I think you should've known, somewhat, what you were getting into. In my eyes, it was an awesome, epic even, experience. I do not plan on missing another camp EVER. I barely feel like leaving on the third day. I'LL SEE YOU ALL AT CAMP 9!!! <3 ONE LOVEE.”

130. KayaCommander said... on Jun 28, 2010 at 03:22PM

“I'm going this year, and it would be really unfortunate if the people ended up being like most of the commentors above. What a bunch of brats.”

131. Anonymous said... on Jul 7, 2010 at 08:30PM

“Bisco d-bags.”

132. Dave said... on Jul 9, 2010 at 12:44AM

“I mean I don't think this dude said anything bad about the BAND, in the article. Doesn't seem to have been exposed to many drugs or drug related situations, which I deduced by his over-use of the sophomoric phrase "tripping balls", "spinning" instead of "spun", and seemed over-whelmed with the lavish abuse (SLYGSAASISOI). He seems generally misinformed about many things, which I'd like to help him out with (if he's still out there listening):
candyflipping - IS taking mdma and lsd.
wook(ie) - is a sketchy kid with dreadlocks and questionable hygiene.
honestly sounds like you had a bad experience at something you weren't interested in attending; as a result you scrutinized the people you met in concurrence with your affair and came up with your incomplete archetypes of Bisco attendees. Who you missed out on were people like my friends who are there to have a good time in between work, enjoying MUSIC. Some like Jimmy Buffet, Beer, and Aruba; We like camping, acid, and untz untz.”

133. Heather said... on Jul 13, 2010 at 01:11PM

“I kind of get that you're trying to put yourself as the odd man out in a festival - no, culture you know absolutely nothing about. But you make the Biscuits to look like Anti-christs among the brainwashed. Yeah, people are going to Camp to get fucked up, but people are there for the music. Why else would you pay $155 to sit in mud for 3 days? And hell, a majority of these people lead more normal lives than you're delusional life of fame as a Class D writer. Obviously you didn't even take the time to actually enjoy any of the music or make any friends. As a reporter, you have to put yourself out there; you can't just hide at the back of the campgrounds in your tent while all the action - the good action - is whirling around you.”

134. Anonymous said... on Jul 20, 2010 at 01:39AM

“Yep this guy embellished the fuck out of everything you read in this. Drugs are everywhere, if you weren't such an ignorant dump pussy you might of seen a few concerts in your life and realized that drug use is an inevitable part of the music culture. 2. Who the fuck puts their tent next to the fence by the stages.. You deserve to get pissed on for being such a dumb fuck. 3. You obviously know nothing about music cuture, so why the fuck did anyone let you report about it. Your bosses must also be as equally retarded as yourself. 4. I never saw a single Mosquito the entire 4 days i was there..5. As for ppl leaving "rows of flip-flops in the mud" your a fucking moron.
6. Finally, I hope someone beats your ass for being such a fucking pussy, asshole looser. If you would of got the fucking gravel out of your vagina and went to see some music, you could of accurately reported on the real events of the festival.
I hope you choke on your boyfriends dick and die. Fuck yourself.”

135. Anonymous said... on Jul 20, 2010 at 02:54PM

“well jeez!!!! CUSTIES ,WOOKS AND FLATBRIMS OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the damn Disco Biscuits what the hell did you expect?

The Disco Biscuits is music for people that like nitrous, and x everybody knows this and I honestly wish this crap ass band would tour while furthur is on the road so they could take their crap ass fans with them. I for one applaud the writer its about time someone talks about these foul gas sucking scumbags the way they should be talked about.
Before you write rude comments to me , I do not care what your unwashed asses think. YOU RUINED SHAKEDOWN!!!!!!!! Take your candy flipping asses SOMEWHERE other than furthur. You are not wanted or welcomed anywhere except DB shows. Even phish has had to crack down on your sorry asses.
It is about time someone told the story like it is , maybe it will attract law enforcement to weed out the garbage from the scene.”

136. Steph said... on Jul 23, 2010 at 04:03PM

“HRD - Homosexual Drunk Ranter, go suck your dads balls fag. BISCO RULLLLES.”

137. hibityjibity said... on Jul 28, 2010 at 10:12PM

“I like Jimmy Buffet, beer, Aruba, camping, L, and a little untz.”

138. Blankets said... on Aug 19, 2010 at 08:37AM

“Nice post — this really hits home for me.embroidered caps.The message here is super helpful.I believe you might like what I came across on this internet site today.custom hats. I will return to check on upcoming articles.this is a splendid post and I would give a five out of five rating to it.caps. Need some more posts like this to be coming out Thank you and looking for more of this kind.The Disco Biscuits is music for people that like nitrous, and x everybody knows this and I honestly wish this crap ass band would tour while furthur is on the road so they could take their crap ass fans with them.”

139. Anonymous said... on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:26AM

“never been to bisco but ive got a lot of friends that are hardcore fans and make a point to go every year. I cant believe this many bisco fans are IN DENIAL as to what is going on at bisco (or most other music festivals, for that matter). You can think "its all about the music" but the truth is that at least half (probably more like 9 out of 10) the fans wouldnt be there if it werent for the reliable influx of: LSD, MDMA, N2, Ecstasy etc.

its funny to me how defensive biscuit heads get as soon as one begins to question the UNABATED AWESOMENESS of the biscuits or there festival. I think theyre very talented but often out of key and extremely discordant without necessarily intending to sound that way. Ofcourse, I'm sure if i psychologically conditioned myself by going to 15 consecutive biscuit shows on LSD, MDMA or nitrous id LOVE them too. Hell, if i sucked down enough nitrous i might even be oblivious to there abrasive tonality.

Super-jamband?!?!?!?! go see phish”

140. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 09:43AM

“fuck that guy ahahahaha”

141. EGL said... on Jun 24, 2011 at 04:28PM

“The guy's article isn't perfect but he's right. I stopped going to Bisco shows because it became about the drugs rather than the music. I stick to Lotus or Brothers Past instead...way fewer spun 18 year olds to watch out for. It's a poorly written article, but if you attend a Bisco show sober, you understand where he's coming from. Moderation is key people.”

142. Anonymous said... on Jul 5, 2011 at 10:18AM

“this guy is ridiculous... going to a music festival you know what your getting your self into... if your going to to be a crabby herb who cant handle it then fucking stay home. do not criticize people who are there to have a good time. you sit an complain about the rain get a fucking umbrella....

camp bisco is a place where i have made some of the fondest memories i have with some pretty great people

the people at these festivals are some of the nicest most welcoming kind of people.... unlike you. you obviously are some uptight jerk who has no idea what acceptance is if you dont like drugs then dont do them...stay home we dont want you there anyways.”

143. Anonymous said... on Jul 9, 2011 at 02:31PM

“When I first read this article, i felt it was completely biased and full of shit. Then I went to camp bisco for two days and realized its completely true. Every last sentence of this article.
People dont go to bisco for the music. They go to take tons of drugs.

Filthy disgusting hippies pissing everywhere, passed out, and selling acid laced rolls....

Within 10 minutes of entering the festival I was offered coke, ketamine, acid, acid, acid, molly, rolls, opium, heroin, pharmz, benzos, crackers, more acid, 2c-i, and ether....

I left the second night because our group was terrified. I slept in the locked car looking as the zombies attacked my friends tents. Our neighbors were up until 8 am blasting "pon de floor" and zeds dead while dancing on their cars staring at me sleep.

Security is made up of Hells Angels who will knock you out and rob you if you look at them wrong. I took a picture of the main stage and one of them came up to me and starting screaming for taking a picture..”

144. Anonymous said... on Jul 10, 2011 at 03:43PM

“I think this is a very accurate account of what actually goes down there. I'm tired of hearing "it's about the music, man" when in reality everyone's brains are too fucked up on drugs to even appreciate "the music, man". These festivals are all about drugs nowadays. If you're a loser who pays money to sleep in a tent and miss all of the music you supposedly came to see, because you're rolling or whatever... then just own up to it. We already know you're scum of the earth, why deny it? Don't get mad at the writer because he shows you exactly what you are. Accept that you're all LOSAS and get over it. shit.”

145. Anonymous said... on Jul 10, 2011 at 07:44PM

“Waaaaah, a reporter is telling the world that i go to big music festivals to get fucked up with my loads of expendable income! I have a BA in psychology from a state school in the boondocks where we all wear Birkenstocks and play Ani on our rooftops and pretend that we know what its like to be downtrodden. Fuck the man, waaaaah. Www.whitewhine.com”

146. Anonymous said... on Jul 12, 2011 at 11:02AM

“haha this is terrbile check out what a festival review looks like,http://headstash.com/news-nugs/festivals/1041-headstashs-camp-bisco-review-guide”

147. STAR COLONEL MARCUS KOTAIRE said... on Jul 13, 2011 at 12:16PM

“lol, i went last weekend to bisco X. sounds about par for the course i played. still, it was totally awesome. sort of funny/ironic, you can trip for 3 days and remember everything. it's this principle called moderation.”

148. Anonymous said... on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:54PM

“I went and had a good time sober. It is what you make of it just like every music festival throughout the history of music festivals. (how did the last southpark put it) "You are just becoming a cynical a--hole" Not that I'm throwing names around but honestly, if you go to something you're not in to.... surrounded by people you dont like... with a negative attutude, of course you're not going to see the fun in it.”

149. Anonymous said... on Oct 15, 2012 at 01:13PM

“hey philadelphia weekly how about you dont send a festival noob to write your article about a festival. All u need to know "Even the covered bar is all but empty. Of course, the Disco Biscuits are playing improvised electro to thousands of spinning fans at the moment. Not even the torrential downpour can stymie tonight’s jam." So u missed disco biscuits to go drink in the bar cause its raining? Please never go to another festival ever again cause you obviously dont understand

150. procks said... on Nov 10, 2012 at 08:27AM

“Fuck what everyone else thinks. Do you. I've had a blast at bisco. A Lil bit of this, a Lil bit of that. Let people say what they want. Everyone has there own experience”

151. spoochdaddydonkibblers said... on Feb 1, 2013 at 09:50AM

“this author also doesn't really know what the whole biscuits scene is really about. so he saw a few spunions (who here hasn't been there except the author) and some kids who were rolling their tits off but that's not even scratching the surface of dirty ass biscuitdom. there are some shitty people the further down you go. heavy emphasis on the blow, k, and selling overpriced gas...some even have dope in the mix. in terms of the music itself there's no substance to biscuits, no real soul or tune. just "beep boop bop beep boop bop" and maybe an extra "blerp" for those of you crazy heads who know variety, and now i know a bunch of little bitch ass skrillllax bro kids go now too....haha nah man biscuits fans are total dirty fuckboys who originate in nice suburbs but end up in humanity's collective ashtray. i know quite a few who went that way after high school cause it was "sick" and "dope". if it's quality jam and electronic check out the guys with talent: umphrey's, tribe, lotus, cheese, the mantras, twiddle, dosio...so many to choose from.”