The Faces Issue: Celebrating Black History Month

By PW Staff
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 10 | Posted Jan. 31, 2012

At 17 and just a senior in high school, Odom was the youngest person to do the Broadway production of RENT. Throughout his career, he has been seen in guest roles on such prominent shows as Grey’s Anatomy, Supernatural, NCIS: L.A., Vanished, Gilmore Girls, and Threshold, among many others. And that’s to say nothing of his theater experience, which includes Jersey Boys, Being Alive and Once on this Island with Reprise LA!.

The journey, at times, has been rough. There were many times when Odom wanted to “quit the business” and leave L.A., where where he moved after graduating from Carnegie Mellon. “The grind is so ... brutal,” he says. “It can be a lonely journey but I had to pursue this thing with my whole heart. It’s my first love.”

Although he has sacrificed the comforts of a “secure” and “consistent” job, Odom says he had countless friends and family who didn’t want to see him give up.

When Odom visits Philly to guest teach to youth in training at his alma maters, he shares two pieces of advice: “If you don’t have a relationship with God, get one now. And know what you are willing to sacrifice before you start.” His offers clarity to even the most confused student. He has seen many people in the entertainment business lose themselves because they were willing to do anything to be in the spotlight. “I wouldn’t risk losing a marriage or my deepest friendships. Having loved ones around make makes success that much sweeter.”

Although Odom is excited about his blooming career, he says he’s open to see what else he’s meant to do. He adds that he would consider giving back through teaching at the university level.

“I’m always looking to be fuller, richer, and deeper than I was two years ago. I want to get the most out of myself.”

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4

COMMENTS

1. Erinn said... on Feb 1, 2012 at 03:05PM

“Bravo, Leslie!! One of the most talented, and beautiful human beings I have ever met. Get it Lacey. Whoo-hoo!”

2. Ms. Gloia said... on Feb 1, 2012 at 03:24PM

“Congratulations Lacey!! I have seen you grow into a very devoted woman. I have been your neighbor for many years and have watched you blossom. I remember when I was invited to see your first film on TU's campus and knew that you were destined for success. You do what you do well becaue you love what you do. This was an excellent article on Mr. Odom who has arrived and he will move on to greater and bigger achievements because he puts God first. God bless you both.

Ms. Gloria, Neighbor”

3. Jamillah said... on Feb 1, 2012 at 07:57PM

“Yeah , Al B is alright as long as you agreed with his closeted views...
Hell No , we all do not think alike ;that is what is soo great about talk radio. When the host becomes a gatekeeper of ideas ,the people stop listening ... There is nothing new under the sun ,educated folks does not always mean intelligent folks... Radio listeners want host and callers to keep it real...
I always do !! Host be damn ,they come and go !!”

4. Diego said... on Feb 2, 2012 at 12:03AM

“Jamillah! Is that actually you talking about the closet? What's up with that?

5. Kai said... on Feb 3, 2012 at 11:51AM

“Good article! I hear you Jamillah. Speak sista!”

6. Joan said... on Feb 3, 2012 at 04:18PM

“Closeted is a great word to describe him.”

7. marcus von heppinstall said... on Feb 7, 2012 at 01:25PM

“Good luck tomorrow. Fingers crossed!”

8. marcellus said... on Feb 9, 2012 at 12:50PM

“Keep it up, Al B! Forget the haters, I don't agree with every caller, so what, that's life, great show!”

9. tic tac toe said... on Aug 22, 2012 at 07:41AM

“I remeber the good ole days of 1340am when he was there when callers would say hateful comments about jews, whites, catholics and europeans, now that the slob brady is a regular they toned it down "a little" but there hatred towards eveyone I mentioned is still there, FU oreo cookie”

10. curious said... on Sep 13, 2012 at 06:20PM

“To Whom It May Concern;
Does anyone out there have any contact information on Al Butler that I can get from them,please let me know...”