West Philly Vendors Suspicious of City's Plan to Revitalize 52nd Street Corridor

52nd Street vendors suspicious of city’s effort to revitalize their West Philly shopping corridor.

By Michael Alan Goldberg
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 11 | Posted Mar. 16, 2011

Street beat: Vendor Bashir Postley stands next to his merch tables on 52nd Street.

Photo by Michael Alan Goldberg

The sunlight glints off Bashir Postley’s shades as the 24-year-old West Philadelphia street vendor leans against one of his tables near the corner of 52nd and Chestnut on a recent afternoon. People stream past on the sidewalk, some stopping to check out the jeans, luggage, sneakers, kids’ bicycles and other items he’s got for sale.

Postley has been making his living working this spot dawn to dusk seven days a week for more than a year. And until two months ago, he never had to wake up each morning praying for good weather. On Jan. 10, the city began dismantling the steel-and-glass canopies that for decades covered the 52nd Street sidewalks on both sides from Market to Walnut, leaving Postley, his fellow vendors and shoppers exposed to the elements. Since then, Postley says, his sales have taken a big hit, and despite the pleasant weather on this afternoon, he’s hardly in a sunny mood.

“The canopy was ours,” he says. “Something we called ours for years. And then they came in and took it away. It’s the same old story—the people who don’t have shit, they get fucked.”

The city says the canopy removal is the first phase of a three-year, multimillion-dollar project to revitalize the 52nd Street shopping corridor. Street and storefront repairs, intensive cleaning and other necessary steps, the city insists, will benefit the existing street vendors, stores and the surrounding community. But Postley believes the process is a deliberate effort to drive the vendors and mom-and-pop businesses out of the area, and ultimately uproot a vibrant and diverse —if not quite economically thriving—minority community to make room for their more affluent neighbors in University City who are slowly encroaching west.

The vendor market on this stretch of West Philly street has existed in one form or another for more than 100 years. Primarily a black neighborhood since the 1950s, the area has attracted Koreans, Bangladeshis, Hispanics, Africans and others in recent decades. Together, they operate the vendor carts as well as the businesses along the corridor—clothes stores, sneaker shops, takeout joints, wig shops, five-and-dimes, dollar stores, cell phone stores and more, providing inexpensive goods and services to a perpetually low-income community.

Some of the stores employ vendors who sell their wares out on the sidewalk; other vendors are independent businesspeople with their own merchandise, handing the city $300 a year for a license to operate and paying taxes every month. In 1976, the Philadelphia Commercial Development Corporation built the canopy in order to shield shoppers and vendors—who are prohibited by city ordinance from erecting their own makeshift canopies or tarps on the sidewalk—from inclement weather and to create a more comfortable, successful business environment.

But times have changed, and Postley thinks the new revitalization project is one big scheme. “They take down the canopies because they know the vendors and the shoppers ain’t gonna come out when it snows, sleets and rains, and they know we gotta be out here every day to survive. They make us disappear, they hope, and then all the construction disrupts business and the stores go broke. They try to dry you up and then buy you out for nothin’ … Then you get Starbucks, FedEx, these big corporations comin’ in that make the city some real money, the real-estate developers comin’ in, and pretty soon we’re forced out of the neighborhood.”

Other vendors along the street echo Postley’s sentiments, although they refuse to give their names, and some are reluctant to talk. “Yeah, they tryin’ to get rid of us,” says one vendor selling knit caps and cell phone chargers. “Ain’t no fun out here when it rains,” says another, as Wiz Khalifa pours from a boom box on his table of CDs and DVDs.

“They don’t wanna tell you their name cause they afraid the city’s gonna read that and come down here and shut ’em down,” Postley says. “Me, I don’t give a fuck.”

A year and a half ago, the vendors were a lot more vocal. The canopy was originally supposed to come down in December 2009, but when construction crews showed up the vendors protested en masse. Some tied themselves to the canopy poles. The city backed down, and the project was delayed.

Philadelphia Department of Commerce Chief Operating Officer Kevin Dow, who’s managing the 52nd Street project, remembers watching the protests on 6ABC. “You can imagine the concern that I had,” he says. “Looking back, we did not do enough community engagement to prevent that from happening. We learned our lesson and we stepped back and began to engage that vendor community in a way in which they became a part of the solution instead of a part of our problem.”

Taking down the canopies, Dow explains, was a necessary first step so the city could better determine the repairs needed for the buildings, sidewalks and curbs. And since that initial failed attempt, Dow says there have been nearly two-dozen meetings with vendors “to understand their concerns, to explain what our process is going to be for the corridor and how they fit in, and to allay their concerns that this canopy removal was not synonymous with vendor removal.”

“We’re dealing with an issue that’s very common to inner-city development,” adds Neighborhood Economic Development Senior Manager Dr. H. Ahada Stanford, who’s overseeing the project at the street level. “Quite often [street vendors] get treated like outlaws, and we’ve been trying to create communication.” Stanford and Dow say the city has pledged to build standardized kiosks—at a cost of more than $400,000—for the vendors by year’s end, as well as provide marketing assistance. They also insist the city will work with vendors to draft legislation dealing with assigned spots on the corridor, potential licenses for those spots and other means of protecting their businesses.

Stanford says the city has kept vendors well-informed of what’s going on, regularly handing out fliers with construction schedules and meeting information.

But Postley says that’s not good enough.

“Don’t give me a piece of paper telling me we’re having a meeting where it’s just gonna be a bunch of city people telling me what’s gonna happen. There’s no give-and-take. There’s people coming up to the microphone and we’re getting shushed. We’re grown-ass men.”

Postley’s skeptical of the city’s promises. “I’ll believe it when I see it,” he says of the proposed kiosks, adding, “How that gonna make a difference in bad weather?”

But Azizuddin Muhammad Abdulaziz, president of the recently re-formed Philadelphia Vendors Association, is adopting a somewhat more optimistic tone. “Nobody down here wanted the canopies taken down,” he says, noting that a neighborhood petition with 4,000 signatures protesting the canopy removal handed to the city prior to the January demolition was for nought. “But if the city follows through with what they say they’re gonna do, what we get in the end will be greater than the sacrifice of those canopies.”

Page: 1 2 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Mar 16, 2011 at 12:15PM

“Its time for change on the strip.
I stopped coming down there to shop years ago.
The sidewalks were crowded, the type of vendors and merchandise changed significiantly.
Let's see what the changes will bring to this area.
I would like to go to 52nd street and be comfortable shopping there.
I would like to see the sidewalks clear so I can walk and browse.
Also see people that I know from the neighborhood where I grew up.
I want to see clean stores and streets .
This could be a diverse shopping area and less crime.”

2. Anonymous said... on Mar 16, 2011 at 03:00PM

“let's admit it. 52 st is pretty dirty and crowded on the sidewalks. Anything being done to open it up and clean it up, will benefit the vendors.”

3. Anonymous said... on Mar 16, 2011 at 05:29PM

“I know that block very well and all I have to say is that those vendors did not take care of the block, at all. Garbage blows down walnut, chestnut and market street from 52nd and piles up in peoples yards. If the vendors took so much pride in that block, why is it covered in garbage?
There is a dead lot on 52 and market and you cannot even see the dirt. Garbage is knee high and pours out of the block and blows around in little garbage typhoons. It is pretty sad. I know 52nd was something different in the 70's, but that time seems to have passed.
I wish they would tear Mcdonalds down, too.
Independent vendors should definitely define the markets of 52nd, but the current vendors sell crap. Sorry, Bashir...”

4. Anonymous said... on Mar 17, 2011 at 12:21PM

“As it is, it's extremely difficult to walk down 52nd St to the el stop--the sidewalk is too narrow and is just full of vendors' stuff.

And as everyone knows, there's tons of drug dealing, purse snatchings, and even shootings right by that el stop. Anything will be an improvement to that strip. I hope the vendors can hang on and make it.

The idea of 52nd St becoming a fancy mall for white people is hilarious, btw...right, that'll be the day.”

5. pols on video said... on Mar 17, 2011 at 04:10PM

“GET JANIE BLACKWELL HER MONEY, in w philly everyone knows its janie blackwell s, she sold the hood out 10yrs ago, get rid of this person, her staff are crooks, she supported,carl greene to the ends, birds of a feather they hang together, we must retire all city council members this year put in people that dont have a clue ,well get more out of the new than these ol bastards, let follow are pols with cameras, lets see how they like it , if u work for goverment we must be able to follow you 24hr aday 365 with video, so we can show people what our pols do, take bribes, act like ur god”

6. Anonymous said... on Mar 21, 2011 at 12:31PM

““Let’s call it what it is,” Postley says. “They gonna take the urban culture out of 52nd Street and make it into a little shopping mall for white people.”

Oh, so by "shopping mall for white people" you mean it will be clean, orderly, well-lit, safe, and properly maintained, with quality merchants selling quality products?

As a white person, thats one stereotype I can get 100% behind!

Let me know when the 'white-ification' of 52nd street is complete, sir...Oh wait, you and your bottom of the barrel, designer knock-off, swap meet garbage,bootleg DVD crap stall won't be there, will you? Awww so sad.”

7. Anonymous said... on Mar 21, 2011 at 07:03PM

“When they ignore you it's the city abondoning the neighborhood. When try something it is gentrification. The idea of 52nd street becoming gentrified is not laughable. Gentrification has been moving westward from Uni. city for a while but I hope that not what is happening here. 52nd street has been going down for year, I would love to be able to walk down the street without hearing cat calls from men or seeing trash piled high on the corners on my way to the library but I wouldn't be so happy to see a starbucks..”

8. Anonymous said... on May 3, 2011 at 02:24PM

“Does anyone know how I can get in touch with the Philadelphia Vendor's association head? Thank you”

9. Mahari said... on Jun 18, 2011 at 07:16PM

“I purposely chose not to make my comments anonymously. I am a local business owner and real estate investor on 52nd Street. If we (african-american vendors, businesses and residents) took more pride in the area we could better the area ourselves without the city's assistance. It's filthy and embarrassing when the patrons of my business come from all over the country (literally) and I have to explain why it is so dirty outside. With my center city real estate, I pay additional taxes for cleaning and better services. I would pay this tax for west philly in exchange for clean streets and safety. Gentrification is not always bad. Diversity (and not just whites but including all races) enhances the education of the residents, community pride and boost the diversity of local businesses. Let's stop complaining and take some ownership and pride in "our" commercial district. Philadelphia was rated the second most dirty city in America behind New Orleans (and we have no disaster to blame).”

10. Tracy said... on Feb 18, 2012 at 09:22AM

“I am glad the canopys were taken down. They were dirty, and made the street look dark and gloomy. I've lived on 52nd street 32 years, and remember when it was beautiful and thriving. Now it's dirty and the vendors do not assist in cleaning up their area. It's hard to walk down the street, because the vendors have half the pavement. I understand their tryig to make a honest living, but their blocking the pavement. I've been down there when fights have broken out, and because of the tables blocking he curb, it was hard to get out of the way of the fights. I hope the emprovement efforts by the city continue. I plan to be here another 32 years, and would like to see 52nd street alive again.”

11. MsUnderstood said... on Feb 28, 2012 at 07:56AM

“I think it's horrible. While 52nd street could've used a clean up, it looks as if it has been cleaned out. Not only are the vendors disappearing, but so are some of the stores. When is the last time any of you been down there? I'm not even from that part of the city, but 52nd street used to be my one of my favorite walking shopping strip. Not for anything major, but mainly to people watch. Oh well, as long as they don't take the canopy down over 9th street, I'll survive. LoL”