Too Cool for School

Philly's journalism schools say they're prepared for the future. But students aren't sure if their teachers are ready for today.

By Larry Atkins
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 7 | Posted Apr. 6, 2009

“Over the past two years, we’ve had great success in placing journalism students in internships and jobs. How that will play out in the future, however, is an open question," she says. "I suspect the best student journalists will land jobs in the news industry, but they may have to move to growth areas of the country. For others, it will be tough. Our students are broadly trained within the communication field, including public relations. So even if our journalism students can’t find jobs in the news business, they will have the background they need to get plum jobs in public relations.”

"They just need to understand that the format is changing," Bunch says. "But that’s always been true. Blogs didn’t exist for me when I graduated from college 28 years ago. It’s an even more rapid change now. But if you care about writing about news, there will be a place for you.”

-------------------------- --------------------- --------------

Larry Atkins teaches journalism at Temple University and Arcadia University.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3

COMMENTS

1. Eric said... on Apr 7, 2009 at 09:19AM

“I graduated from Temple University 2 years ago with a degree in Journalism and minor in Latin American Studies. To be honest, I do not regret the path I choose because the classes were great. Investigative reporting, broadcast journalism and electronic information gathering were just some of the few classes I learned a lot from.

I learned about social media through my own adventures and I wouldn't expect Temple or any other school to change their programs. However, I do think it's a component.”

2. Jackie Jardine said... on Apr 7, 2009 at 10:44AM

“While not everything posted or published in the blogosphere deserves the attention of a university curriculum, this ubiquitous form of communication is making every single blogger a journalist of sorts. It would certainly be interesting to have some academic insight in to the phenomenon. And it couldn't hurt the aspiring writer either, given the sad situation of print media. Given the rapid decline of newspaper and magazine sales, tangibility of media is becoming a thing of the past. And though I dread the demise of print media, I realize I must adapt as a writer...that is, if I want a career in the field.”

3. andrew said... on Apr 7, 2009 at 06:58PM

“You have got to be fucking kidding me. A Temple journalism professor writing about his students and the future of journalism...in PW...again.”

4. grm1 said... on Apr 9, 2009 at 09:45PM

“andrew, whats your point ???”

5. grm1 said... on Apr 9, 2009 at 09:45PM

“andrew, whats your point ???”

6. Mike said... on Apr 11, 2009 at 01:08PM

“I am puzzled as to why college kids would waste their parents money on a major like journalism. What is the future in it? Papers all over the place are on life support, including here in Philly.

A buddy of mine majored in the Radio TV Film program and he got nowhere fast, so he went back to school for IT and is now making 70k. It's really a pity that Temple still offers these majors that do not pay well and take years to repay in loans.

7. andrew said... on Apr 12, 2009 at 10:40PM

“@ grm1: My point is that PW only recently published a cover story by George Miller on the exact same thing, which - similarly to this story - said nothing. Miller's story was a pointless rumination on his profession that lacked insight; this is a mere transcript of interviews with 19-year-olds that also lacks insight.

I should point out that the successful people I know who graduated from the journalism program see it as a wasted experience and had to put in their own extracurricular legwork to learn how to actually think.”

Imagine There's No Sports Page
By Larry Atkins

It's easy if you try. With the future of Philly's dailies in doubt, who will feed the insatiable appetite of the city's sports junkies?

RELATED: Philly isn’t the only town with dying daily newspapers

Newspapers Are Not Toilet Roll Manufacturers
By Steven Wells

They’re not McDonald’s. They’re not “businesses.” Oh, sure, they’ve got to make payroll. But they are not and cannot be run as out-and-out cash cows for the greedy and the idle.

RELATED: Glenn Beck is Right Steven Wells Remembered

So your local newspapers have gone bankrupt…
By Joel

The news is here. Jim MacMillan does a roundup here. And it’s probably worth re-reading Steve Volk’s Phillymag article about how we got to this point. There’s going to be a great deal of temptation, today and in coming days, to mock the hubris of Brian Tierney in all of this. And that’s not entirely unwarranted. [...]

What You'll Read When Newspapers Die
By Larry Atkins

In an era where the media appear to be falling apart, WalterFootball.com's Walter Cherepinsky just might be the future -- one of a number of Philadelphia-area entrepreneurs who are carving out a significant niche in cyberspace.