The Food and Drink Issue

By PW Staff
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 8 | Posted Feb. 9, 2011

Martin Miller’s Gin

Gin has been making a comeback for years now, and the range of options out there can be dizzying. I’ve recently fallen in serious love with Martin Miller’s miraculous gin. It’s subtle and elegant, kissed with bright citrus and a whiff of gently sweet perfume, all of it wrapped up in a texture of astounding smoothness. A Valentine’s Day cocktail mixed with this gin is about as romantic and classic as V-Day drinking gets.

Four Roses Bourbon

While bourbon has traditionally had a reputation as a guy’s drink, the kind of spirit that inevitably leads to karaoke and stumbling home drunk—well, that’s just no longer the case. And while the big boys like Maker’s Mark and Knob Creek may get most of the bar-order love, bourbons like Four Roses are where the real fun is. For about $20, small-batch and single-barrel bottlings deliver all the complexity you could hope for. Bourbon is finally getting the respect it deserves.

Rosé Champagne

Yeah, we know—pink Champagne is about the most Valentine’s Day-appropriate tipple there is. But just because you’ve had it before doesn’t mean there’s nothing left to discover. So instead of picking up the same old bottle of bubbly you do every year, try something new. From always excellent Bollinger to the just as reliable red-berry cobbler flavors of the Nicolas Feuillatte, these are perfect both on their own and alongside whatever you have for dinner—or breakfast, or lunch—on the big day.

Chef's Know Best

We asked the hottest chefs in the city what they cook when they’re feeling down, and what they cook when they’re trying to get down.

What dish do you find you prepare most often to comfort yourself when going through a rough patch?

“Comfort food to me is Chicken Curry Soup from Cafe de Laos and eating it on the couch with my wife. It has everything—a rich broth, hot, sour and sweet all at the same time." -Michael Solomonov, Executive Chef/Co-Owner, Zahav

“I always love to make long slow braises as sort of therapy. I like to spend dreary winter afternoons at home in the kitchen listening to music having a glass of wine and prepping and cooking a pot roast or short ribs.” -Terence Feury, Executive Chef, Fork

“I take an organic whole chicken, add onions, carrots, garlic, rosemary and thyme and fingerling potatoes, put it all in one pot to roast. It’s comforting because it makes the house smell warm and it tastes so satisfying." -Adama DeLosso, Chef De Cuisine, Garces Trading Company

“Chicken and sausage pot pie, but please not the baked freezer section shit. It's gotta be boiled with dough squares, Pennsylvania Dutch-style, just like Mom makes at home in York, Pa.” -MacGregor Mann, Chef De Cuisine, Amada

“Any hearty soup served with a good crusty bread would do the trick.” -Guillermo Pernot, Executive Chef/Partner, Cuba Libre

“Pasta with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt. I grew up eating a lot of pasta and my dad always had a box of kosher salt, not a shaker, a box—so that reminds me of home.” -Anthony Scuderi, Chef De Cuisine, Tinto/Village Whiskey

“OK, to comfort myself there is no cooking involved, simply open a fresh box of Cheez-It!” -Erin O'Shea, Executive Chef, Percy Street Barbecue

“My great grandmother's chicken pot pie. It's never as good as hers but is still very comforting." -Maria Schmidt, Chef De Cuisine, Distrito

When you’ve got someone in your sexual sights, what do you cook for them in order to guarantee you’ll close the deal?

“I take my wife to Vetri for ‘sexy food.’” -Michael Solomonov, Executive Chef/Co-Owner, Zahav

“The ultimate romantic dinner at home for my wife would be lobster with fresh pasta in saffron sauce. I made it for her once when we were first married and she still talks about it.” -Terence Feury, Executive Chef, Fork

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Wallace said... on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:30PM

“You missed Christmas Whiskey, too, but we'll make it up next year!”

2. pete hoge said... on Feb 9, 2011 at 07:21PM

“Is this article about PW's favorite chefs and a way
to advertise them? Most of us enjoy a gripping
article and not an ass kissing festival.

Perhaps their skills are worthy of a journalist's
time, but considering all the problems in this city,
I wonder if this story is more appropriate for the
actual food section of your paper.

Also, I only saw chefs cook with ,"love", after the
candy man showed up.

Most kitchens are gardens of resentment and
various levels of bitterness, and it is no wonder
that chefs and cooks are always looking for
a new job after a year or so.

I hope that this city gets a stronger industry, one
that produces a product which has essential
value. Food is of course very important, but most
of us get by on the basics., and don't dream of
exotic flavors like saffron.”

3. pete hoge said... on Feb 9, 2011 at 07:30PM

“Excuse my own bitterness, really i am just
jealous that I can't hack the kitchen life.

I am sure these cooks and chefs are good
at what they do an deserve accolades.”

4. deci said... on Feb 11, 2011 at 07:40AM

“fair play to tim mcguinness for turning his life around, he is an inspiration to us all, cant wait to walk into his restraunt for him to put a smile on my face and share some much loved food”

5. Dale Doback said... on Feb 11, 2011 at 09:12AM

“Hey Hoge,
Were you visited by the "candy man" before sitting down to write your whiny diatribe or were you just drunk posting? Speak for yourself--as you did ad nauseum. I'm sure every PW reader found this article about the hardworking, talented chefs of Philly a hell of a lot more interesting than the crap you wrote [and then realized, yourself, sounded asinine and recanted]. No wonder you didn't have the nads to hack "kitchen life". I doubt you can hack life at all more than a foot away from your couch, your cat and your angry keyboard.
_____________________________

Props to those who have managed to make a career of their art!”

6. pete hoge said... on Feb 16, 2011 at 04:25PM

“I don't have a cat or a keyboard and
yes my post was pretty asinine.

I still maintain that Chef's are not very
interesting though.”

7. pete hoge said... on Feb 16, 2011 at 04:38PM

“yes it was a comment from bitterness and
hate....it's hard to be stuck in loserville and
see other people succeed.

I have resentment against chefs because
alot of the ones I worked with bullied me.

Also I have a resentment against good
looking, attractive people who talk about
depression as if they suffer like I do.

They have no idea what darkness is.”

8. Kimberly Slama said... on Sep 3, 2011 at 10:35PM

“McGinnis takes his rage with women out on non-human animals. He feels that by dominating these animals completely, he can reclaim his masculinity. It is extremely disturbing when mutilating someones flesh becomes a form of highly romanticized male bonding.”