The Dog Days Are Done—Leave Michael Vick Alone!

By John Sharkey III
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 36 | Posted Sep. 7, 2011

John Sharkey III

The Big Sharkey Show

Ding-dong, boys and girls! Welcome back to The Big Sharkey Show, your only source for entertainment and sports.

For my first dip back into the deep end, I’d like to gnaw on about a very important man in this city: Michael Vick. With the ink of his new six year, $100 million (40 guaranteed) contract still drying, it’s time to set some things straight.

I, like many of you adults, am a very avid fan of Vick. His career high passing and rushing numbers last year alone for the Birds have garnered him the big bucks and respect of the league. He is poised to give this football-rabid town what it’s been waiting for, deservedly, for decades: a Super Bowl title. Vick is an Eagle tried and true, with a blue-collar work ethic and a subtle hint of humility in his tone, yet there are still those who continue to harp on about—what else—the dog fighting shit.

Some of the talk is beyond ridiculous. “I hope his spine snaps on the field for what he did to those defenseless dogs!”; “He doesn’t deserve a job or his freedom!”; “He’s never allowed to set foot in my doggy bakery!”

Let me put it bluntly: Get the fuck over it. That’s right, everybody. Get. The. Fuck. Over it.

Can we stop fucking around here? Real talk: He killed vicious and useless attack dogs. He wasn’t giving Lassie or Buck Bundy the ramrod, he was fighting and killing pit bulls. Pit bulls bred to fight . Pit bulls who were bred to be beasts that no whining yuppy or activist with even the biggest problem with Mayor Vick would ever dare adopt.

I’m not saying that inflicting suffering onto any living creature is justifiable or can be condoned in any way, but I’m not going to pine over or dwell on it. But, you’ve heard this before: It happened, he went to Leavenworth, he got out and has rebuilt his career from the ground up. He took everything on the chin, made no excuses for himself. Move on.

I know this question has been posed a few billion times, but should we hold football players on that high a moral totem? Lest you forget, these guys are hired thugs who play a violent and beautiful sport. They’re not teachers or congressmen. They don’t have any sway over how your shitty life is or isn’t. Who gives a fuck how unsavory they are? It’s the NFL: We want winners, not altar boys.

I want more criminals to play football. Give the offensive line chloroform soaked rags and then see how well they protect your QB. Make it legal to choke-out referees. If we’re gonna do this shit, then let’s do this shit .

Have any of you actually watched what Michael Vick did on the field last year? That motherfucker was electrifying ! You should be pumped to have him playing in Our City for Your Team because he really could take our title-hungry franchise on a float down Broad Street. He’s as physical and athletic as any quarterback we’ve seen in years.

And that’s what this really comes down to. I love what Vick does for my football team, but I’m mostly just exhausted by all the ninnies who still actually give a fuck about his past discretions. It’s all your whiny posturing that leads me to say hyperbolic and antagonistic shit to harmless parents at kids’ birthday parties—“Michael Vick can kill every dog on earth if he wins Philadelphia a Super Bowl.” It’s just my nature, I guess.

Until next week, Followers. Fuck New York and go buy a Michael Vick jersey! It’s time to let it go and enjoy the season. “Love everyone” is my motto.

John Sharkey III is a notorious Philadelphia Asshole. The views expressed in TBSS are his own.

COMMENTS

1. Michael G said... on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:36AM

“You my friend are a grade A asshole. That aside Michael Vick isn't a superbowl cailber quarterback. Never going to happen. Hopefully when he doesn't do shit this year he gets Reid fired.”

2. Big Penis said... on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:20AM

“Actually, Vick is a super bowl caliber qb. It's just a shame his offensive line isn't.”

3. urbaggage said... on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:32AM

“Everyone is entitled to carry baggage no matter the debate. I personally don't like baggage. Its heavy, it clouds judgement and people tend to wear it on their sleeve. I say get over it and understand that we are humans. We make mistakes and life moves on.

As far as the Eagles go I'd love for them to win the big one but honestly I love the drama and am happy with getting into the playoffs. They are doing the best with what they have like the rest of us in life. Reid is the best we can do right now, Vick is the best we can do right now. I don't want to go back to 6 & 10. So i'll take 10 & 6”

4. Big Asshole said... on Sep 7, 2011 at 11:45AM

“Vick is not what's holding them back from a title. Reid, youth and inexperince might be but they still haven't played a game yet. Maybe shit gels, maybe they blow. I'll take Vick over McNabb or Kolb any day.”

5. vickhater said... on Sep 7, 2011 at 06:24PM

“this excrement you philthadelphians love so much is a repulsive, useless, piece of sh*t. I not only hope his spine breaks in several places, I hope he has to crap in a bag protruding from his guy and is fed through a straw in his stomach. I wish him pain & suffering. & those animals ABSOLUTELY DID NOT DESERVE HIM OR THEIR FATE.”

6. Vick Tory said... on Sep 7, 2011 at 08:21PM

“Isn't calling excrement a piece of shit a bit redundant? vickhater, please seek therapy.”

7. JACK DANIEL said... on Sep 8, 2011 at 03:02AM

“Mr.Sharkey may be an asshole, but he got it absolutely right!!!!!!! Mike has done his time, and only the media and other assholes feel it imprtant to keep bringing that situation up. Me myself have been bitten by 3 pitbulls, and if I could have shot those animals I would have, does that make me a bad person, HELL NO!!!! I say leave the man alone, because I am quite sure that most of you have done something pretty terrible to another human being, not a dog, and got away with it. Until humans start treating other humans better, no one has the right to say or judge anyone.
I saw the EAGLES HEART commercial, follow that lead..People have a heart and enjoy this season with the Philadelpha Eagles and each other.

8. Anonymous said... on Sep 8, 2011 at 03:51AM

“shark go suck it. no superbowl”

9. Anonymous said... on Sep 9, 2011 at 06:34AM

“there is a picture of a bird taking it in the ass from jeffery and blowing andy. its true 2 things that mess up the eagles are its front office and coaching.”

10. Steve Hall said... on Sep 9, 2011 at 12:24PM

“Wow how did this guy get a job? He obviously did no research before he wrote this article. He lays out HIS opinion like it is fact. Here are some facts, Mike Vick was notorious for being the last one to show up for practice in Atalanta and the first one to be out the door. Does that sound like blue collar work ethic? Not to me, but if you think that is what blue collar work is about then you obviously don't know what blue collar work is. Secondly, the dogs he killed, him and his crew trained them to be vicious. Please before you comment on something you have no idea about get some facts. Go spend the $5 and buy the book "The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption." by Jim Gorant. This will give you insight into what really took place on Moonlight Drive. Don't just come out shouting your opinion from your soap box misleading people because you are too lazy to do some research.”

11. Fawna Blue said... on Sep 9, 2011 at 01:06PM

“First of all, what kind of example are you setting for aspiring young athletes by saying you want more criminals to play football....seriously!?! You just suggested that kids should go commit violent crimes to better their chances of making it to the big leagues.
Second, you should do some research pal. Yes originally "Pit Bulls" were bred for fighting...a very long time ago! It's illegal for a reason. Dogs don't choose to be vicious, they are taught by humans. "Pit Bulls" are also known to be Nanny Dogs and wonderful house pets. They make lousy guard dogs because they love people so much. Loyalty and resilience are common traits, they are beautiful and athletic and usually very large lap dogs.

12. Fawna Blue said... on Sep 9, 2011 at 01:09PM

“No criminal should be forgiven their crimes just because they are famous, yes Vick is talented...but that doesn't excuse what he did. Famous people are always forgiven and move on and go back to making obscene amounts of money..if that were any of us we'd be living in the slums jobless because no one would give us another chance. Famous people aren't the only ones with talent (and some of them don't even have that) we hold them on a pedestal because they can act or sing or play ball...lots of people can do that, just because they don't make a profession of it doesn't mean they deserve to be treated worse.”

13. Doc said... on Sep 9, 2011 at 01:56PM

“Wow. I don't know if I've ever seen so much ignorance on parade!!

You know nothing about the pitbull breed.

Your "compassion" for Vick would quickly evaporate if he weren't playing well.

Finally, I wish vick no harm but to see a sick, twisted person put on a pedestal is disturbing. I could forgive if I saw any true remorse....but I haven't.

And, by the way, extensive use of profanity is not provocative .... it's just the lazy man's way of trying to look provocative.

Grow up, son.

Doc”

14. Leslie Jehle said... on Sep 9, 2011 at 01:59PM

“WOW your a FUCKIN SACK CHOP, DICK LICKER and a FUCK NUT !!!! Its people like YOU that are helping to deteriorate the moral values in this country, and make people not accountable for their actions ! Vick the dick is an uneducated ignorant ASS....um if he didnt have the talent to throw the fucking foot ball he'd probably he shining shoes somewhere !! His actions need to NOT be forgotten......................EVER !!!! Maybe if he was a child molsester or a POS rapist you would think differently, naw probably not your as ignorant as he is”

15. Avidon said... on Sep 9, 2011 at 05:22PM

“John Sharkey III is Vicks personal ball washer. Do you get dental with that ?”

16. reggie said... on Sep 10, 2011 at 03:21AM

“shark not only washes his balls, he sucks them too. your parents must be proud of you on your knees, turn that little ballcap around some you can get it in deep.”

17. Kliff said... on Sep 10, 2011 at 11:59AM

“Hey Sharkey, In the words of Jeff Spicoli, 'YOU DICK!'”

18. Anonymous said... on Sep 10, 2011 at 02:08PM

“"Racism is the belief that there are inherent differences in traits and capacities that are entirely due to their race, however defined, and that, as a consequence, racial discrimination (i.e. different treatment, both socially and legally) is justified." It is not OK to mistreat and murder a bunch of dogs because you think they're lesser than other dogs or animals. Racism and violent tendencies are not behaviours that are "cured" quickly.”

19. Anonymous said... on Sep 11, 2011 at 01:51PM

“There's so much wrong with the article I don't know where to start. You state
"ninnies who still actually give a fuck about his past discretions". Seems more like informed people who give a damn. I stopped being an Eagles fan the day they signed him & haven't looked back. They pander to him, give him whatever he wants but the fact remains that he's an unrepentant murderer. I get the feeling that people will forgive anything if he plays well. BS, the are plenty of other teams with stellar platers who haven't stopped to his level of viciousness,

20. Anonymous said... on Sep 12, 2011 at 05:35AM

“Mr and Mrs sharkey raised a faggot. you are a bitch. go lick vicks dick. you already did. go die you homo”

21. Anonymous said... on Sep 12, 2011 at 04:32PM

“Anonymous two up, Racism != Dog Breed-ism. why do people who own pitbulls pay higher home owner's insurance premiums?”

22. Eagles Fan Bleed Green said... on Sep 13, 2011 at 01:57PM

“I think Sharkey hits some good points. I personally don’t want to kill anyone or anything. But raised in the inner city environment Pitt bull fighting was normal. I’m not saying it was right what M.Vick has done but sometimes you have to learn that it’s not normal behavior. Just Becuase you all of a sudden are a superstar or are making tons of money doesn’t make you automatically a better person. People change by learning either the hard way or easy way. I have a felony make that 2 on my record I have been to prison.. the way I carry myself you would never guess I "was" a THUG. We live in a land of freedom and many people to this day have to pay the altimate price not by choice Either. I am Happy he is an EAGLES maybe I can Brag to everyone WE have a Ring TOO. by the way pittbulls were bred to kill a BULL there vicious dogs who have turned on many owners. not to be mistaken with a good house pet.. get your fact straight.”

23. Liketoseevickdead said... on Sep 13, 2011 at 07:51PM

“Vick deserves no accolades, no kudos, no second chances. Nothing. He deserves to die a slow, suffering death. He is the lowest form of life there is. And the asskisser,dicksucker,vicklover responsible for this article should come back to life next time around as a piece of gum on the bottom of vick's mother's shoe.”

24. Anonymous said... on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:30AM

“Commentors tell the author to get his facts straight, then go on to state Vick is a murderer...look it up- you CANNOT murder an animal. Second, you claim to be of a higher moral content and character, then go on to say things like: "And the asskisser,dicksucker,vicklover responsible for this article should come back to life next time around as a piece of gum on the bottom of vick's mother's shoe," and "Mr and Mrs sharkey raised a faggot. you are a bitch. go lick vicks dick. you already did. go die you homo," and best of the bunch, "WOW your a FUCKIN SACK CHOP, DICK LICKER and a FUCK NUT !!!! Its people like YOU that are helping to deteriorate the moral values in this country, and make people not accountable for their actions ! Vick the dick is an uneducated ignorant ASS." Newsflash- he was made responsible for his actions. Yep, you're all so very moral and upstanding....and stellar with grammar and spelling too....

25. Dan Platt said... on Sep 22, 2011 at 07:48PM

“This man served 21 months in prison for what he did and lost a boatload of money. How has he not paid his debt?

When you are convicted of a crime in this country and serve an appropriate sentence according to the law, not your opinion, you have paid your debt.

We do not have to continue paying indefinitely for previous indiscretions, whether theft, murder, or dog fighting. I think it's messed up that he did what he did, sure, but the facts are he has paid according to the law and according to the social contract the we all subscribe to, either by birth or by choice, he has paid his debt to us.

26. Cara said... on Sep 23, 2011 at 07:42AM

“Why dont you take a flying leap into Lake Asshole. Mr. Sharkey.”

27. Anonymous said... on Sep 23, 2011 at 02:50PM

“You my friend, Sharkey the 3rd or whatever the hell your name is, are a grade A ignorant fuck! You can tell people to get over it all you want, but at least do some research on dog breeds before you try to preach about them!! You obviously don't know shit about dogs! First off, pitbulls are one of the sweetest family dogs and are one of the most loving breeds toward people. They become aggressive when idiot owners like Vick get a hold of them and abuse them and make them aggressive just like any other breed would when mistreated... Pitbulls POSSIBLY MAY BECOME DOG AGGRESSIVE, but that's why owners need to socialize them...once again, just like with any other breed! And yes,I still home Michael Vick gets more than a concussion! Better yet, I hope he was someones bitch while serving time...and you, horne just as bad a him! Some people are just born pricks, just like others are just born gay or mentally challenged!”

28. SnottyDick&TheRetardedChicks said... on Oct 5, 2011 at 03:27PM

“I love watching self-righteous blowhards walk right into the trap.”

29. mike vick said... on Oct 29, 2011 at 11:01AM

“sheeeeeeeeittt.......i b killin more dogs right now...i paid da police off and now i can murder innocent animals all days long.... i gets off on it...i like to materbate while looking at theys dead body...i am super strong cause i can kills dogs me and sharkey have orlas sexes all da time cause we both like to kill dogs ..dats why he b defending me”

30. Anonymous said... on Nov 11, 2011 at 08:30PM

“You can tell alot about a person by the way they treat their animals. As far as I'm concerned, he's a waste to society.”

31. Anonymous said... on Nov 16, 2011 at 09:29PM

“Shark why dont you just go and suck Vick off already?? Seriously?! Those that are cruel to animals are a worthless waste of life, so do us all a favor and keep your idiotic two cents out of public view. Oh--- and I have it on good authority 20 "vicious and useless attack dogs...who were bred to be beasts" went to good homes and are now loving affectionate family pets which is what they were "bread to be". Little history lesson for you, since you clearly have NO facts correct; first people persecuted German Shephards, then Dobermans and Rotties, now Pit Bills, you know whats wrong with this picture?? Undereducated and ignorant people like you that have NO clue on how to raise a dog! Vick sucks, you suck and its time you "Get. Over. It", because your "Boy" Vick with forever only be known as a dog killer and not a good quarterback because what are the Eagles now?... thats right... 3 and 6!

32. Robin Snackers said... on Jan 12, 2014 at 03:26AM

“NO DOG IS BORN AGGRESSIVE , THEY TRAIN THEM TO BE AGGRESSIVE FROM WHEN THEY ARE PUPPY. EVERY BREED CAN TURN AGGRESSIVE IS YOU RAISED THEM THE WRONG WAY,OR IN A LOT OF CASES irresponsible ownership , BUT SOME BREED'S CAN CAUSE MORE DAMAGE THAN THE OTHER when they turn aggressive, THIS BREED CAN BE JUST LIKE ANY OTHER BREED, THE MANS BEST FRIEND AND FAMILY MEMBER.

33. Robin Snackers said... on Jan 12, 2014 at 03:28AM

“hey should remember this: Vick was the mastermind behind his dogfighting operation. He bankrolled it, gave it a home base, encouraged it. In the backyard of his Virginia home were mass graves of Pit Bulls that had fought for him or had been torn apart serving as bait dogs in practice sessions. The surviving dogs were found barely alive, beaten, starved, tortured and chained to concrete slabs.
There was Georgia, a caramel-colored beauty who had all 42 of her teeth pried from her mouth so she wouldn’t fight during forced breeding. There was Ellen, who managed to retain her fuzzy cuteness even when half of her face drooped because of the nerve damage caused by fighting. There was Cherry, a black-and-white tiny ball of fur, with a craggy pattern of thick, deep scars from chemical burns on his back.”

34. Robin Snackers said... on Jan 12, 2014 at 03:29AM

“When I visited him and 21 other Vick dogs at the Best Friends Animal Society sanctuary in 2008, he continued to tremble even as I petted him gently for more than an hour.

And those were some of the lucky ones. Dogs that did not perform well for Vick were drowned, electrocuted, shot. He admitted to holding dogs while a noose was placed over their heads, then dropping those dogs to their deaths.”

35. Robin Snackers said... on Jan 12, 2014 at 03:44AM

“Michael Vick only feel's sorry that he's get caught with dogfighting , not for the pain & suffer that these dog's have goin true. He was not only some dogfighter , he also had enjoy to painly torture and kill the dog's that would'nt fight any more. Some dog's had fight and won alot of money for him, and also those dog's end all the same way : fight till they loose a fight or don't want to fight any more and they end there life with the same suffering

36. Anonymous said... on Apr 19, 2014 at 09:04PM

“Lol, typical Philly phucktard. You do realize football is a fucking GAME, right? And doesn't your ass ever get sore from riding his dick as if he's the first goddamn quarterback to ever run with a fucking ball? "But he's electrifying!!1oneone!1!" I hope Vick breaks a kneecap playing with the Jets, because killing dogs is not only immoral, but just plain fucked up. I'm shocked this post is from Philadelphia weekly, it just goes to show that dumbfucks in Philly just care about their team winning, and probably still bitching about the Pats beating them in Super Bowl XXXIX. I suggest you stuff your face in another cheesesteak & choke on it while whining about how Vick turned his back on 1 ov da most prasteegus franchizez evar!!!11!eleven!! He's just gonna be filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy before Week 6 anyways, LOL.”