The City of Nutterly Love?

Philadelphians offer some early indications on the mayor’s chances of re-election.

By Aaron Kase
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 7 | Posted Nov. 24, 2010

Nutter ran for election promising to implement a controversial stop-and-frisk policy, where police stop and search people on the street with “reasonable suspicion.” The American Civil Liberties Union sued the city earlier this month over stop-and-frisk after finding that only eight percent of stops lead to arrest, arguing that the policy amounts to little more than racial profiling of blacks and Hispanics—72 percent of those stopped in 2009 were black. Nutter continues to support stop-and-frisk despite the lawsuit, claiming it has helped keep guns off the street by making criminals think twice before carrying.

Manley: I know a friend of mine who got stop and frisked and he spent the weekend in jail for having a blunt on him. He never had a criminal record. He smokes weed, so what?

Taburello: I think this is a slippery slope. Police officers can search individuals without a just cause seems like a privacy invasion. Also seems like a gateway to more violence toward officers. This liberty given to the wrong police official can lead to more corruption and abuse of authority.

Armour: They have more lawsuits going on now because the cops have been harassing people.

Taxes

The mayor has raised taxes two years running, bumping up property taxes last spring after increasing the sales tax in 2009.

Jones: I don’t feel like you should have it all and other people don’t have anything. There have been plenty of people in this city, owned plenty of things and don’t pay no taxes. But they want to clamp down on the other people, clamp down on the small people who have been working or trying to make it, they want to come take everything you have.

William Brown, 52, U.S. Gymnastics Federation, Southwest Philly: Put some money back into the city and stop taking money from the city. That’s the whole thing. He taking money from everybody. He taking money from police, fire departments, this, that, this, that. So it’s convenient for him and inconvenient for everyone else.

Vote for Nutter in 2011? I know he ain’t gonna make it again. I know that much. He wasn’t a good candidate. He wasn’t a good candidate at all.

Jaffe: I feel he is overly criticized for many taxes he imposes for the city. I see nothing wrong with imposing a soda tax. Unfortunate to have to bring about such a tax that will undoubtedly upset people and cut jobs at corporations that employ millions.

Dani: Just adding more taxes in general is silly.

Greenworks

Philadelphia’s sustainability strategy, aimed at increasing efficiency citywide with measures like buying hybrid cars for the city’s vehicle fleet and adding solar-powered trash compactors to decrease collection trips. The Greenworks program has 15 targets for the city to reach by 2015, among them lower energy consumption, less waste production and more trees in the ground. According to city figures, Philadelphia is already 44 percent along the way toward meeting its six-year goals.

Rubin: I know about the bike lanes. I definitely support that. I know it’s difficult because we don’t have parking on the streets they’ve done it on, but I support it.

DiNenna: The green thing I think is cool, particularly in this city because we had nothing. It was the bottom of the barrel as far as green goes, so you can only go up.

Tamburello: Greenworks is absolutely necessary. Municipal officials using green practices set an example. “Practicing what you preach.” Initiative programs should be used for business that use green practices. Tax cuts would encourage companies to make use of green practices instead of doing things cheaply to maximize profits. The greenworks plan will benefit everyone involved.

Steptoe: Philadelphia needs to make better use of rooftops and abandoned lots for gardens as well as using solar energy through panels and wind turbines. Think we should hold our city to the same sanitation standards as Washington, D.C. Philadelphia above and below ground is filthy. The filth we find underground can be used as a metaphor for the corruption behind closed doors (Politics).

LGBT Affairs

In October, the mayor raised the rainbow flag in front of City Hall in honor of LGBT history month. It was the first time the gay pride colors had ever flown outside a municipal building in Philadelphia. The move was part of a greater outreach program, including hiring Gloria Casarez to be a liaison between the Mayor’s Office and the LGBT community.

brooke JinHeeBae boroughs, 30s, photographer/ archivist for LGBT affairs, Center City: I feel that Mayor Nutter, seeing that he has so many responsibilities to this city and the public, he takes the time and has presence with the LGBT community with Gloria Casarez being his guide in those matters. Showing face, it looks like he really has compassion and sensitivity to our community. Seeing how the flag represents the LGBT community, that’s powerful. I think that with the flag raising and seeing it standing there for a month, whether or not you’re aware of the LGBT community you’re gonna know that the rainbow flag means this and this. As an archivist, I’ll look back on this and think “I was there.” Just knowing that he took part in that.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Nov 24, 2010 at 11:47AM

“I wouldn't vote for that negro if he was the last person on earth because I can't stand him. Enough said!!!!!!”

2. E Gill said... on Nov 24, 2010 at 12:14PM

“@Richard Emmons: To answer your question: Yeah, that's fucked up. Yes, he may have made a whopper of a mistake turning down that snow machine but to use that non-policy-related decision to decide whether not to vote for him is...well, "fucked up."

Not voting for Nutter is pretty much a vote for the Republican. Do you think a Republican is going to do any better? (Take a look at the Governor of New Jersey.)

Look, I hate to tell anyone not to vote. So instead, I ask that you educate yourself about actual issues before deciding to vote against a candidate because of how much it snowed last winter.”

3. pete said... on Nov 24, 2010 at 10:44PM

“I would like to see Nutter go beyond difficult
financial decisions. I would like him to use some
strategic, fascist instruments, to stop the flow
of powdered narcotics into this city. They are
not cool and cause much suffering. I would
also like to see a majority of vacant lots turned
into vegetable farms, in general , more trees
planted, and a simple way of recycling that
appeals to lazy people. Also, criminals with
automatic weapons are not cool, and fascism
is the only answer to that problem. I am happy
to live in a quasi-police state, which I hope
causes the federal government to let Philly be
a Florentine style city-state that can make it's
own laws....Secession Now!

I think Nutter could be a benevolent dictator.”

4. Anonymous said... on Nov 25, 2010 at 05:51AM

“Violent black crime is totally ignored by Nutter and blacks. To Nutter and his blacks, it's as if violent black crime is nonexistent, when simply watching the nightly news is enough to alert any reasonable working city taxpayer that black crime is completely out of control and that the city is under seige by these savages.”

5. Anonymous said... on Nov 26, 2010 at 12:13PM

“It seems that a few Philly.com posters have mirgrated to Phillyweekly.com”

6. Janice Brown said... on Dec 1, 2010 at 11:30AM

“I would like to know why is Mayor Nutter along with others are not attacking this child traffiking and corruption going on in the City Of Philadelphia. DHS and the Family courts are taking our children and giving them to strangers. The family courts are violating our constitutional rights and the law to satisfy their needs or pockets. We have provided evidence of this world wide issue and no one is acting or attacking this darkness, or should I say demonic issue. I am a victim along with my grandbabies of this horrible trend. The Mayor was sympathetic on showing up at my daughter and grandbabies funeral in June 2009 also preparing a speech at the funeral. (The feltonville four a.k.a The Third St Angels) But when I really needed him as he stated at the funeral, he has not yet responded to my plead. I would do everything in my God given power to get my grandbabies back home with or without his help. Im praying that it is with his help and he is unaware of our situation.”

7. Anthony P. Johnson said... on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:47AM

“Whether the opposition is Rendell, Katz, Green, Street, Knox, Santa Claus, Elmo, or the Easter Bunny, Mr. Nutter should not be reelected as mayor.

Since 2008, I've written extensively about the misadventures of Mr. Nutter and how woeful he's been as mayor for one of the greatest cities in the Republic. Since his stint as mayor, all we've gotten from him is:

• Unlimited excuses

• Elimination of services

• Lack of depth in creating and implementing effective policies to stimulate economic growth

And

• Arrogance

Philadelphia and its residents deserve better than this poor leadership that Mr. Nutter has provided up to this point. Could it be that the Philadelphia Democratic Party regarding its mayors is taking nearly 30 years of support for granted?

We've had 8 years of Mr. Goode, 8 years of Mr. Rendell, 8 years of Mr. Street and quit possibly, gulp--8 years of Mr. Nutter.

Mr. Goode had his moments and was on his way to being considered one of the best mayor's the city had until well, the MOVE Massacre. Ed "America's Mayor" Rendell was responsible for the face lift to Center City that re-energized economic growth at the time but not much else, and John Street increased social services in the city that was sorely lacking, but he also had an administration and associates so corrupt that they never met a kickback they didn't like. This brings us to Mr. Nutter. His achievements have been so far and few that I would have to grade them on a curve in order for him to receive a passing grade--and on too many occasions Mr. Nutter looked lost and dazed like the proverbial deer caught in the headlights of the issues in Philadelphia.

Mr. Nutter's supporters will say he inherited a horrific economy, but in Mr. Street's defense, he managed to leave the city with a surplus when he left office. In my humble opinion, that type of rhetoric doesn't even fly with President Obama. Mr. Nutter wanted the job because he had a better mouse trap--well, you got it! Now shut-up about how bad the economy was when you became mayor and fix it. We are at 11.9 percent unemployment. If we Philadelphians tighten our belts anymore, third-world nations will begin sponsoring a Philadelphian.

Maybe what Philadelphia needs is a Republican mayor. Maybe they would be effective, and in the process, awaken the Democratic Party to the reality that their hibernation in which they've been in for nearly 30 years is over.

Anthony P. Johnson