The City of Nutterly Love?

Philadelphians offer some early indications on the mayor’s chances of re-election.

By Aaron Kase
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 7 | Posted Nov. 24, 2010

Nutter is doing an OK job. Just don’t fuck up more. If he fucks up anymore, young people won’t vote for him and you need the young vote to survive.

Dwayne Evans, 22, car-wash employee, West Philly: Fuck him. If I catch him, I’m gonna rob him. For me, he didn’t benefit the city at all. He didn’t sign off on the right budget then he cut all the wrong budget.

Vote for Nutter in 2011? I don’t believe he’s gonna be voted back in for another performance.

William Pendergrass, 51, block captain, North Philly: He’s strict but he’s good. The economy the way it is right now, everybody puts their hand out. I figure he’s trying to do the best that he can to accommodate everybody. It’s hard. Just like me in my neighborhood and my block, it was hard for me to organize my block just to clean it, let alone try to take care of the whole city. He inherited what’s been going on.

Richard Langley, 65, retired, West Philly: I give him a 70-30 rate. Nothing improved, really, but it ain’t getting too much worse.

Richard DiNenna, 31, cook, South Philly: I’m not a fan, but I think he did a decent job dealing with a city that financially is a mess. What do you do when you have no money and you’re trying to make things better? You could just keep accumulating the debt, which is pretty much the story of this country, or you could try to make some changes. Nobody’s going to be happy when you cut projects or when you cut funding and raise taxes. I think he tried to actually make the city move forward. It’s one of the toughest cities to please.

Angel Correa, 60, shop owner, South Philly: I don’t like [Nutter] at all. He said he would pass his card and phone number around here, he never came. Most of the people that reach out are the committee people. A lot of the small businesses here, we don’t like him.

Vote for Nutter in 2011? I won’t vote for him.

Marlene Jones, 76, retired mental-health worker, North Philly: I’ve been disappointed in him for some things. Every time you turn around there’s a photo op, he’s right there, you can count on him being there, but basically he’s not really performing for all the citizens of Philadelphia. He needs to be in tune with certain situations.

Jennifer Rubin, 40, academic advisor, West Philly: I have good impressions of the mayor. I think that our city has a history of corruption that’s hard to fight against. If you too actively fight against one thing they come down on you, so I think he’s in a pretty difficult situation.

Vote for Nutter in 2011? Yes.

Unemployment

Philly’s unemployment level has hovered in the 11 percent range all year. The city says its Way to Work Program provided jobs for about 13,000 over the summer, but federal funding ended in September, leaving many employers unable to continue paying their new hires. Meanwhile, Nutter and Council are sparring over competing business-tax-reform proposals aimed at making it easier for small businesses to grow and hire workers in Philadelphia.

Louis Perez, 25, unemployed, Hunting Park: It’s a lot of predjudice concerning a person like me—been in jail. I just applied for a job at Verizon and I trained with them for a week and it turns out they won’t hire me because I have a criminal background. I was working at McDonald’s; they signed some type of contract that they have to hire people that came out of jail. It’s only these low-paying jobs. It’s crazy. You’re trying to do something better for yourself but you can’t. They look at you like, that’s what you did in the past, he gonna do it again, we don’t want him working for us. They could be making them bigger companies sign them contracts to hire us! So we can work for them, too.

William Johnson, 58, homeless, Southwest Philly: Mayor Nutter full of shit. Dude say what he’s gonna do for the people. I voted him in. All I want to know is what he’s gonna do. What he do for the people? He got money…give me a job.

Vote for Nutter in 2011? I’m not gonna vote for him next year.

Bershel Lee, 46, unemployed, Southwest Philly: The man’s doing the best he can do. The economy’s bad. I’m living in the shelter there, man. I lost my job. I lasted out here, man. I lasted 14 months out here before I went that way. I can’t blame it on this man.

Vote for Nutter in 2011? If he was to run again I would vote for him. I haven’t seen nobody put themselves in the pool to run against him that I’d vote for.

Freddy Pompeii, 63, retired, South Philly: I see too many people walking up and down this block every day aimlessly, looking for work. I know it starts at the top with the White House and then it goes to Harrisburg, but somebody’s not pushing hard enough in Philadelphia. He’s gotta get somebody to push hard for him because we’re still in a recession.

Vote for Nutter in 2011? I’ll probably vote for him again unless someone better comes along.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Nov 24, 2010 at 11:47AM

“I wouldn't vote for that negro if he was the last person on earth because I can't stand him. Enough said!!!!!!”

2. E Gill said... on Nov 24, 2010 at 12:14PM

“@Richard Emmons: To answer your question: Yeah, that's fucked up. Yes, he may have made a whopper of a mistake turning down that snow machine but to use that non-policy-related decision to decide whether not to vote for him is...well, "fucked up."

Not voting for Nutter is pretty much a vote for the Republican. Do you think a Republican is going to do any better? (Take a look at the Governor of New Jersey.)

Look, I hate to tell anyone not to vote. So instead, I ask that you educate yourself about actual issues before deciding to vote against a candidate because of how much it snowed last winter.”

3. pete said... on Nov 24, 2010 at 10:44PM

“I would like to see Nutter go beyond difficult
financial decisions. I would like him to use some
strategic, fascist instruments, to stop the flow
of powdered narcotics into this city. They are
not cool and cause much suffering. I would
also like to see a majority of vacant lots turned
into vegetable farms, in general , more trees
planted, and a simple way of recycling that
appeals to lazy people. Also, criminals with
automatic weapons are not cool, and fascism
is the only answer to that problem. I am happy
to live in a quasi-police state, which I hope
causes the federal government to let Philly be
a Florentine style city-state that can make it's
own laws....Secession Now!

I think Nutter could be a benevolent dictator.”

4. Anonymous said... on Nov 25, 2010 at 05:51AM

“Violent black crime is totally ignored by Nutter and blacks. To Nutter and his blacks, it's as if violent black crime is nonexistent, when simply watching the nightly news is enough to alert any reasonable working city taxpayer that black crime is completely out of control and that the city is under seige by these savages.”

5. Anonymous said... on Nov 26, 2010 at 12:13PM

“It seems that a few Philly.com posters have mirgrated to Phillyweekly.com”

6. Janice Brown said... on Dec 1, 2010 at 11:30AM

“I would like to know why is Mayor Nutter along with others are not attacking this child traffiking and corruption going on in the City Of Philadelphia. DHS and the Family courts are taking our children and giving them to strangers. The family courts are violating our constitutional rights and the law to satisfy their needs or pockets. We have provided evidence of this world wide issue and no one is acting or attacking this darkness, or should I say demonic issue. I am a victim along with my grandbabies of this horrible trend. The Mayor was sympathetic on showing up at my daughter and grandbabies funeral in June 2009 also preparing a speech at the funeral. (The feltonville four a.k.a The Third St Angels) But when I really needed him as he stated at the funeral, he has not yet responded to my plead. I would do everything in my God given power to get my grandbabies back home with or without his help. Im praying that it is with his help and he is unaware of our situation.”

7. Anthony P. Johnson said... on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:47AM

“Whether the opposition is Rendell, Katz, Green, Street, Knox, Santa Claus, Elmo, or the Easter Bunny, Mr. Nutter should not be reelected as mayor.

Since 2008, I've written extensively about the misadventures of Mr. Nutter and how woeful he's been as mayor for one of the greatest cities in the Republic. Since his stint as mayor, all we've gotten from him is:

• Unlimited excuses

• Elimination of services

• Lack of depth in creating and implementing effective policies to stimulate economic growth

And

• Arrogance

Philadelphia and its residents deserve better than this poor leadership that Mr. Nutter has provided up to this point. Could it be that the Philadelphia Democratic Party regarding its mayors is taking nearly 30 years of support for granted?

We've had 8 years of Mr. Goode, 8 years of Mr. Rendell, 8 years of Mr. Street and quit possibly, gulp--8 years of Mr. Nutter.

Mr. Goode had his moments and was on his way to being considered one of the best mayor's the city had until well, the MOVE Massacre. Ed "America's Mayor" Rendell was responsible for the face lift to Center City that re-energized economic growth at the time but not much else, and John Street increased social services in the city that was sorely lacking, but he also had an administration and associates so corrupt that they never met a kickback they didn't like. This brings us to Mr. Nutter. His achievements have been so far and few that I would have to grade them on a curve in order for him to receive a passing grade--and on too many occasions Mr. Nutter looked lost and dazed like the proverbial deer caught in the headlights of the issues in Philadelphia.

Mr. Nutter's supporters will say he inherited a horrific economy, but in Mr. Street's defense, he managed to leave the city with a surplus when he left office. In my humble opinion, that type of rhetoric doesn't even fly with President Obama. Mr. Nutter wanted the job because he had a better mouse trap--well, you got it! Now shut-up about how bad the economy was when you became mayor and fix it. We are at 11.9 percent unemployment. If we Philadelphians tighten our belts anymore, third-world nations will begin sponsoring a Philadelphian.

Maybe what Philadelphia needs is a Republican mayor. Maybe they would be effective, and in the process, awaken the Democratic Party to the reality that their hibernation in which they've been in for nearly 30 years is over.

Anthony P. Johnson