Roxborough Businesses Say Kids Are Terrorizing Their Stores

By Michael Alan Goldberg
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 43 | Posted Apr. 27, 2011

Though Conroy worries that the feud will spill back over from the virtual world to the real world, Roxborough police hope to defuse mounting tensions. Captain John Cerrone of the 5th District says police plan to “intensify our focus a little more than normal [around the 7-Eleven] and see if we can’t take some action that’ll slow this thing down. I don’t want anybody getting hurt.”

Conroy’s adopting a wait-and-see attitude, and says she’s going to keep shooting photos and video of the kids behind the 7-Eleven—but she’ll only share them with police from now on (the American Civil Liberties Union of Philadelphia says she’s legally allowed to post pictures of kids on Facebook). And she insists she has no plans to move Yoga on the Ridge to a different location.

“This is where I was born and raised. I wanted a studio in Roxborough, and I don’t want to give up on Roxborough. It would be horrifying if Roxborough falters because of a bunch of punk kids.”

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 09:41AM

“My company has dealt with these same group of kids going back to last fall. They skateboard on our property during business hours, tag and graffiti our building, and threaten any staff member (mostly women) who goes out to ask them to leave. We've called the police, who did respond rather quickly ONE TIME, and they stopped coming around. But now that it's getting nice out, they popped back up again this week.

2. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 09:48AM

“If anyone wonders why these kids are the way they are, just read some of the comments left by the adults and parents on the Facebook page. The apples did not fall far from the tree.”

3. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:11AM

“I work in this area and we have the same problems. I have personally went outside and asked these kids to vacate the property, we do have a fence and they are trespassing. They throw and leave trash everywhere, write on the windows with markers, etc. One even told me to "kiss his white ass", another called a woman a "Black Bitch" and when she got of her call they all ran like little cowards. Trouble here normally begins here between 3:45 until 4:30, then they disappear until the next day. I really hate to see when school let out for the summer. These kids are out of control and the 5th Police District doesn't do a dang thing and if they come out, by the time they decide get here the kids are gone. WTH!!! Why bother with the Police.”

4. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:25AM

“I can hardly wait until summer and school lets out. These delinquents will have alot of time on their hands. I expect that incidents of burglary will increase. Neither the parents nor the police seem to give a damn.”

5. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:31AM

“I for one applaud Mrs. Theresa Conroy for having the courage to write and speak about the “DirtBalls of Roxborough”. I understand that there is a High School is the area that have minority that attended this school. However, they do not say the area long after school has been dismissed for the day. The children who have decided to vandalize the buildings and terrorize the neighborhood are the Teenagers and young children of this very own neighborhood. In addition, I feel like it is a shame that people who work and live in this area have to put up with this. Mrs. Conroy I hope that things will get better for you and the other Working Class people in this neighborhood. However, I do wish that the people that took the time to call you names and threatening you would put that same time and energy into their children. And maybe as a community, we will not be going through this.”

6. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:47AM

“"During the evening, Russell, 55, caught one of the teens outside the studio pissing on their welcome mat." Really, PW?”

7. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:23AM

“Be prepared for the dimwitted parents of these kids to descend on this article and fill the comments with drivel.

I've heard of several youth groups and other organizations in the area that have been trying their best, but the kids seem to be getting worse at younger and younger ages.”

8. A Tough Mother said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:40AM

“I'm happy that readers realize that the issue with Roxborough High kids at dismissal is separate from the issue Ms. Conroy is having with neighborhood kids. I would bet that the very same parents who are outraged that their children are being called dirtbags would not hesitate to throw names at the Roxborough High kids. Low class knows no racial boundaries as these parents prove.

My own child is a young teenager and she is constantly asked by her neighborhood friends to hang on the Ridge with them. We have a nice house and a large yard that I have repeatedly offered for their use. I'd be happy to feed them but, of course, I would not tolerate drinking or smoking at these gatherings. No one will come for that reason. I have actually had one child agree to visit my daughter at our home only to learn that she brought alcohol to my house!! Thirteen!!! I keep my kid busy with school and family activities. Wish some other parents would own up to the hard work of good parenting.”

9. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:52AM

“These kids and supporters of “Help Take a Stand Against This Dirtballs of Roxborough Page.” are typical low-class, low-mentally trash. In both cases their actions speak for themselves. We live amongst bottom feeders, period.

10. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:53AM

“These are not kids from the high-school, so stop with that lie. This crap happens after the high school is closed. These are kids who live in this neighborhood, Your neighborhood and Your Children. Like most folks who live in this area of the city, the first thing you want to do is blame others who does not live in this community and not take the responsibility or recognizing the fact that your children are destroying other people property, threatening to do bodily harm, terrorizing people who are mentally challenged by calling them "retarded" and stuff like that. God forbid if they are chased away, then it gets worse. But let someone destroy your property, or threaten you, then it's poor little me. KUDOS to Mrs Conroy, BRING BACK YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE!!!!!!! People need to see what their kids are doing.”

11. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 02:52PM

“Don "Joe Sixpack" Russell oughta move to a nicer neighborhood.”

12. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 07:01PM

“Lets send these future Harvard grads to charter school and the charter school can work their magic and fix these students!!! They must act this way because of bad teachers at their regular public school ;-D”

13. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 09:21PM

“Clearly Angelique and Donna who comment and "like" the "help take a stand" page are uneducated. Their ridiculous use of vulgar language and bad grammar will most certainly be passed along to their offspring. These children are dressed like hoodlums and are in no danger of scoring above 600 on their SAT's”

14. Anonymous said... on Apr 27, 2011 at 09:38PM

“funny how the parents on that facebook page are congratulating themselves for shutting down the dirtball page...they don't even realize they are perpetuating the exact behavior they are claiming to protect "not my kids".....well, they must be somebody's kids and they are menacing..I see them on ridge all the time and they are not from rhs. Not once do you see these parents commenting on the root of the problem which is bad parenting by their neighbors...instead, they direct their self righteous vitriol at someone who is calling them out........such irony!”

15. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2011 at 07:46AM

“Justification is the new religion of choice - anything goes as long as it doesn't defecate in the house. Your ordeal is symptomatic of much larger problems which ironically did begin or was reported more frequently in more depressed communities. This behavior was seen among inner city youth for years. Unfortunately, based on this history, you'll get mostly lip service from authorities until it escalates into real loss, and the self medicating, freedom loving, no boundaries co-dependent parents will hate you for wanting to thrive productively in the shared public space. Justification is the first incubator for terrorist; and if it is supported by enmeshed parents who fail to address non productive, nefarious behaviors of their own children, tribes or gangs are not far off. Please Stand firm for your right to live decently.”

16. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2011 at 01:51PM

“What more angry words can be added to those above replies from the business community.
The Seven Eleven store owner - manager & franchise is responsible for tolerating and permitting the hostile environment to continue gathering on their property.

17. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2011 at 01:53PM

18. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2011 at 08:51PM

“I couldn't agree more with comment 13 and 14. I am so tired of hearing about these kids being "bored". Join an after school program, play a sport, join the YMCA, volunteer and help someone in need. My parents would have beat my ass if they caught me loitering or heard it from another parent. Don't they understand the saying " guilty by association"? So sad seeing Roxborough in a bad light. I hope the business owners get some satisfaction. They deserve better.”

19. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2011 at 09:57PM

“wow, some brilliant mind really went to some effort to put together that page , Help Take A Stand Against this Dirtballs of Roxborough Page....who cares? kids these days are sloth like. they are petulant and the bored person who started that page needs to get a job, it's like they are paranoid, insecure and know for damn well sure that those kids are punks. why protect them? I hope they get locked up for vandalism”

20. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2011 at 10:32PM

“I copy n pasted this inbox message that was sent to me on fb!!!
I am a parent of 5. My name is Donna.
U should be scared to go to her yoga class if shes now taking guns there. Ur that shallow to go this low? Nice!!

Between You and Nciec Vrfvtr
April 27 at 4:42pm Report
i started that page and im going to kill you if you try anything bitch im bringing guns to my yoga class now”

21. Not One of the Bad Youth in Rox. said... on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:01PM

“wow. you "adults" need to grow up. are you really going to bad mouth teenagers? as if you weren't once our age. its not the parents because parents can't always know exactly what their kid is doing every second. its lower than low to bad mouth the youth that will one day be taking care of you. so grow up and just talk to kids with respect and you will get it in return. anyone from roxborough knows its all respect. but you gotta give it to get it.”

22. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:39PM

“If I read #20 correctly it sounds like this Donna person had someone other than the woman who runs the yoga place send her a threat that sounds like it is from her. She is trying to use the comments section to defame the victim. And, no, I am not affiliated with either group here, but I will say that the neighborhood teens are harassing businesses and their customers (I have left places to get away from them in the evenings more than once, long before I wanted to leave) and the graffitti problem is out of control lately, and that's white kids from our own neighborhood, not the RHS students pointed to by some in the article, Those RHS kids are long gone by the time this stuff is going on. It's made me start looking at real estate elsewhere, seriously, even though I didn't think I'd ever leave. I love this area, and it saddens me to see what some of its residents are doing to it.”

23. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2011 at 11:49PM

“And I would like to add to my above comment (22) that there are LOTS of GOOD kids and families in this neighborhood. This is a small minority making life hard for everyone else who's trying to live right and do right by others and by our town. My neighbors keep an eye on their kids and I never see them in these packs of hoodlum wannabes. And to #21, respect has to be earned. I have seen kids mistreat the staff and furniture and public space at Starbucks, for example, over and over again. They don't even buy anything and run off paying customers like me and those around me who sigh and exchange looks until it's just too much cussing and talk of fighting and drinking to take anymore. And then we leave. That will kill a neighborhood if you let it continue. Maybe "dirtballs" was not the best word, but someone has to do something about this situation, and it's clear from the other fb page that the parents will not. It's not just youthful fun. I've seen that, and this is not that.”

24. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2011 at 12:02AM

“And I have seen GOOD kids at Starbucks, at Zesto pizza, at Roma's, at Subway, at Nick's Water Ice, etc., just being pre-teens and teens and giggling a little too loud and getting a little silly, and I'm fine with that. That was me when I was that age. That's not what this is about. This is about an element I see recapping how drunk they were and who they fought last night when they're as young as maybe 12, cussing and shouting, threatening each other, acting scary, dominating spaces in an anti-social way, etc. There's a BIG difference between youthful exuberance and the kind of behavior that's upsetting the Ridge in the last couple of years. Parents need to be parents and the cops need to take it seriously, too, when called. It's vital to our quality of life as a neighborhood that has SO much GOOD going for it that this be stopped.”

25. Anonymous said... on Apr 29, 2011 at 08:24PM

“I agree with #22, they are attempting to make the comment appear as though it came from the yoga owner. So sad.”

26. kevin said... on Apr 30, 2011 at 06:47AM

“To the Parents Offended your kids were labeled "Dirtballs" Oh Well Get Over It. I know Theresa Conroy. More personally grew up with her cousins. Roxborough in general need a tremendous amount of help and change. I moved out 10 years ago but still come to visit friends and family. If your kids are pissing on property they need an ass whopping. So to the person offended by the article line up! You need it to. The Conroy family have been raised in the community longer than these "DIRTBALLS" have been thoughts. One is a business owner, a Vice Principle in a Catholic High School etc. Apples don't fall far from the tree. So let's begin the lessons at home. Respect, Integrity, values, morals! Which the DirtBalls and parents have NONE!”

27. Anonymous said... on Apr 30, 2011 at 04:49PM

“Theresa Conroy is my hero!!!!!!!!!”

28. Desiree Cook said... on Apr 30, 2011 at 10:33PM

“I don't deny that there is a problem with young children loitering, vandalizing property and doing drugs, but how dare anyone judge any of these kids or their parents! Does it make any of you feel better to call a child a dirtball? There is always a reason behind bad behavior. Maybe some of these parents AREN'T good parents and these children are just looking for attention. Do you really think that yelling at them and insulting their parents is going to change their behavior? Maybe we should start with a better public school system, not cutting the budget for our libraries and after-school programs. None of us can change how anyone parents, but we can change what is available to children who are left to their own devices. Since when is pouring gasoline onto a fire going to help put it out? And before you all make assumptions about me; I am a well-educated woman whose family has lived in Roxborough for 3 generations. I do not know these children or their parents.”

29. Kevin said... on May 1, 2011 at 08:46AM

“Angelique Pearo is 22 years old! She has this "Kid" mentality thinking she knows it all. 2nd page of the article says the ACLU said she has every legal right to take and publish the pictures. It also said she is turning all the pictures over to the police working with them to identify the kids and solve the problem.
I read her page on facebook. Facebook didn't take it down Theresa did!”

30. Desiree Cook said... on May 1, 2011 at 09:33AM

“That is good, I think that is a step in the right direction. No one truly knows it all, but I commend her for at least trying to protect these kids. Not because what they're doing isn't wrong, but because they're children. Again, something obviously needs to be done, but when you come at anybody in the offensive, their automatic reaction is to fight back, no matter whether they're wrong or right. If we show these kids that they're better than their behavior and worthwhile, maybe they won't be so inclined to do these things. And Kevin, you know my family, they were not raised to behave like this, nor would they be allowed to get away with it, so you know that I am not simply saying these things because I think this behavior is normal or allowed. I hope that accounts for some credibility.”

31. Anonymous said... on May 2, 2011 at 11:15AM

“I moved out of Roxborough about 9 years ago after having my my car stolen and my life threatened by the kids that used to sell weed in my apartment building's parking lot. The weekend I moved out they had broken into the building and slashed up all the lobby furniture and vomited on the floor in all the hallways. Sounds like it hasn't gotten any better.
Oh, and for the usual Philly racists: all of these kids are white.”

32. Anonymous said... on May 2, 2011 at 01:45PM

“I feel bad for Mrs. Conroy. She is just trying to run a business. I think that she did the right thing by trying to take a stand but it was not the best idea to be so malicious towards the children. It could have been handled in a more appropriate, adult way but I completely understand the tension she must be under. Good luck!”

33. Anonymous said... on May 2, 2011 at 02:04PM

“Hey Desiree Cook ,

Stop deflecting from the issue. The kids are dirtballs. The pictures and descriptions of their behavior tell everyone what they need to know about them and their trashy parents. Do you really think these kids are going to go to the library or join the chess club? Stop being naive.”

34. Anonymous said... on May 2, 2011 at 07:36PM

“hate to say it , but people than question why the state is moving monies from the schools over to the prisons...
this here sounds like the logic behind why....”

35. J Paul Sank said... on May 3, 2011 at 12:22AM

“Those punk monsters are lucky *I* don't live in Roxborough! I wouldn't be nearly so nice as Conroy! Since the cops are a no-show, do-nothing bunch, then it's time to buy guns and use 'em! Generally, I go along with "you shouldn't take the law into your own hands", but when the cops are asleep at the wheel, it's time to rise up and fight!! To war!!”

36. Anonymous said... on May 3, 2011 at 07:37AM

“That's one of the big problems in Roxborough as well as Manayunk, J. Paul. The police don't come out when you call them. They've had all kind of excuses for this inaction, including "911 calls are taken based on urgency and we share calls with the 39th district". Well, people in Rox/Yunk pay property and city wage taxes. Don't we deserve service from the police department when called? Yes it is a relatively violent crime free area. I get that. That doesn't mean QOL issues should be ignored. The 5th district is a complete failure at the bike race. Underage drinking in plain view and they did NOTHING. Drunks urinating and causing problems around Main Street, they do NOTHING. It is frustrating.”

37. J Paul Sank said... on May 3, 2011 at 10:50AM

“So, in fact, the cops are asleep at the wheel. It does indeed seem to be time for the business owners to take the law into their own hands. Maybe pool some money to hire a few security guards with military combat experience who will not be intimidated by anything and are ready to fight. Ex-mercenaries, maybe. Maybe another route would be to do some research into suitable and effective non-lethal weapons. And what about that 7-Eleven? Are the dirtballs hanging out on their property? If so, then pressure should be put on the management of that store to develop zero tolerance on loitering. As for Conroy's former Facebook page, "Dirtballs of Roxborough", I regret that she took it down -- a sign of weakness -- and besides, I wanted to post messages of strong support thereon. Another thing is to let no use of the word "children" go unchallenged -- teens are a whole 'nother animal, and when you let the opposition get away with calling 'em children, you're allowing them to reframe the debate.”

38. J Paul Sank said... on May 4, 2011 at 08:28PM

“I'd like to add an illustration that goes especially to the point I'd say would most likely get past the brainstorming phase, the idea about "children" vs. teens: A year or two ago I volunteered at an alternative high school equivalency program in Camden (the city) for a short but very satisfying time. When I first accepted the invitation, I asked if I would need a child abuse clearance. The principal laughed and said (to the gist of), 'Child abuse clearance? It's *we* who should have a little fear of *them*!' Don't let the opposition call them children.”

39. Ruby said... on May 4, 2011 at 08:43PM

“J Paul Sank for president!!!”

40. J Paul Sank said... on May 5, 2011 at 01:25PM

“Ruby, your affirmation does my heart a world of good this afternoon. Thank you. :)
Another point: During a talk with a pastoral counselor years ago, I was informed that in her long experience, she had found that teenagers are "aliens". Something to keep in mind when pondering what to do.”

41. Anonymous said... on May 28, 2011 at 07:28PM

“I have seen u-tube videos like this popping up all over the US. I don't know why. If you think you are suffering, think about the pressures on the good kids in school. My 16 yr old, not from Roxborborough told me the hell he went through in middleschool. Many of the kids in the bad group, weren't really bad. They just found it easier to join in that be persecuted everyday. That os the difference today. If you don't rise in the ranks of respect from the derelects in school, it's hard to survive. Good students are tormented, not like the old days when the "dunces" were ridiculed.
The laws in the schools make it impossible for the admin to do anything unless, as the principle told us about a kid bullying my son, "they bring a gun and shoot him". How comforting!
When the economy crashes, these will be our looters and blackmarket food suppliers, not the enterprising caretakers of their neighborhood and families like the youth of the Great Depression. God help us all!”

42. prophit said... on Aug 16, 2011 at 10:52AM

“Befriend them, like an uncool camp counselor. Talk to them, like a "friend"; just the sort of adult they would hate. A slightly manic Mr. Rogers, perhaps with a hacky-sack or bongos, could take to hanging out at the 7/11.

But they will merely have to choose another locality to haunt. They are ghosts, after all. Do they have jobs, I.Q., purpose or a future? Consult your Great Depression history source of choice - or enthusiastically re-enact all the zero-sum, Old Testament-style wrathful, id-driven instinctive mistakes.”

43. Anonymous said... on Feb 3, 2012 at 12:52PM

“Everyone bitching about kids.. Grow up. Or go out and handle them like they should be. Beat them. Dont call the police and snitch, your in Philly that will get you in more trouble with people on the at then the cops at kids. Take your business somewhere else. This is Philly once again what did you expect, Micheal nutter to help you out? Haha get real. There are people getting shot over dumber things and all of you want to bitch and moan about smoking cigarettes outside of sev.. That's why they are harassing you, because your harassing them. People in Philly all their lives hang on the corner or outside the store it's what we do, for an outsider with a "yoga" store to want to complain is just funny to me. Pack up and move your yoga shit out of our neighborhood this is hows it's been for years this is our neighborhood you get the fuck out if you don't like it stop crying all of you especially you grown men on the page stop your wining I know 5 yr olds that don't cry nearly as much.”