Renegade Reporters Become Heroes to a Struggling—and Scared—Kensington

By Tara Murtha
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 6 | Posted Jan. 5, 2011

Meanwhile, Barton says that Kensington residents have been asking her and Antipuna to obtain press passes and help report on Kensington for real. They were even asked to review cold murder cases. Barton is incredulous at the response.

“What are we going to do next, open DNA kits?”

Antipuna is confident they’re gaining the trust of locals. “[Kensington residents] don’t trust media, they don’t trust the cops,” he says. “We put out what they actually said, not a 10- second clip of a 15-minute interview.”

“We’re not professionals, I’m a stay-at-home for the last six years with my kids,” says Barton. “People have just been asking so we kind of feel obligated at this point, not to mention it … has become very emotional.”

The phone hasn’t stopped ringing. What’s next? This Thursday at 8 p.m. they will air an exclusive with Howard Rubin.

“We just tried to open a talk show and it brought all this other stuff. I am glad it’s bringing attention to the neighborhood, because it does seem like it’s forgotten,” says Barton. “People who live there just have to deal with it.”

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Jan 5, 2011 at 05:59PM

“So, why do they get death threats? Is there a page missing?”

2. Anonymous said... on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:48PM

“Because of the whole facebook fiasco. Someone posted a picture of an innocent man on their page in conjuction with the sketch as flyers were passed around the neighborhood.”

3. Anonymous said... on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:43AM

“men are better”

4. Anonymous said... on Jan 7, 2011 at 08:29AM

“Think these two are looking for fame. Funny where were you before this monster started killing? Stop using the strangler and these victims to get tv time! Your no better then he is in my eyes and a lot of other peoples also.”

5. Joe Goldberg said... on Jan 12, 2011 at 08:29AM

“I am grateful to these two people (and the writer of this article) for their coverage of this ongoing tragedy. My daughter, Elaine, was the 1st murder victim. I agonized over the stories done by the "major media" because they called my daughter everything they could think of to ruin her reputation and worse. The monster that is still out there is the scum, not any of the victims. The interviews I've seen on the Antipuna show and the articles written by Ms. Murtha have been fair, accurate and focused where they should be. Most importantly, sensitive to the concerns of the victims' families. Elaine, Nicole and Casey were human beings. Babies that grew into young women. They had lived only a part of their lives when this no good bastard strangled them to death. Only God should have determined when my baby left this life, not that creep. Thankfully, God was there to take her from this monster's grip.”

6. Heather Barton said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 01:31AM

“@ Mr. Goldberg,
Thank you so much for your kind and reinforcing words. We have tried to pay special attention to the families feelings and honor the lives of Elaine, Nicole and Casey. I know nothing will ever take away your pain but I hope you find peace in your heart in knowing that your daughter is safe from any harm ever again. Please know that so many share your pain and support you and your family. Your daughter was a beautiful girl and I know better than to believe everything in the media, that is the main reason we spent so much time on this. We wanted to show the whole story and the truth. Obviously not everyone will get that message but Im thankful you do..God Bless”