The Philly GOP Is Still a Mess; Maybe Karen Brown Can Help

By Randy LoBasso
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 7 | Posted Sep. 28, 2011

It probably has something to do with Council at-Large candidate Joe McColgan being floated as a replacement for Brown after she won the primary in May. “They wanted me to step down,” says Brown. “So I said to them, ‘Unless you got $25 million [in a payoff], it’s not gonna happen,’ and I knew they didn’t have that, so that’s why I threw that number out. They said, ‘How’d you come up with that number?’ I said, ‘$5 million for my staff, and $20 [million] for me.’ That was just my way of saying, ‘Forget it.’”

In all likelihood, though, Brown won’t win. Not that that will stop her from talking a big game throughout the fall. She says Philadelphians will relate to her better than they do to Nutter because of her family background. Specifically, that she had a father who had “to deal with a lot of outspoken women in his life, me being one of them and my mother being another. Unfortunately, Nutter doesn’t have anybody in his family [like] that.”

Featherman’s happy with such statements. “I told Karen … don’t be afraid to use your character. You know, act a little bit different … People like that kind of humor.”

“I will say one thing about her,” says Cibik. “She does have balls.”

For more mayoral race and general election coverage, visit our news & political blog, PhillyNow.

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Sep 29, 2011 at 02:25PM

“Balls, maybe but definitely no brains.”

2. Anonymous said... on Sep 29, 2011 at 02:26PM

“Balls or no balls...she's still a democrat with liberal beliefs and is embarrassingly inarticulate. Why would someone with no clue and less experience in managing a city think she can run the 5th largest in the country?

The new republicans in Philly can do SO much better...but then again; she wasn't picked by the new republicans.”

3. Anonymous said... on Sep 29, 2011 at 02:30PM

“Funny - she's got balls for challenging the sitting Mayor to a debate, but she stands up her "own" party when she was supposed to be debating Featherman.

What a joke.”

4. Anonymous said... on Sep 29, 2011 at 03:03PM

“Not sure what the third poster is talking about. Featherman and Brown debated on TV a few weeks before the election. It was moderated by Steve Highsmith. You must have a very short--or selective--memory.”

5. Anonymous said... on Sep 29, 2011 at 03:03PM

6. Anonymous said... on Sep 29, 2011 at 04:33PM

“Obviously, she's never met Nutter's sister, mother or two grandmothers!!!!!!”

7. Anonymous said... on Oct 4, 2011 at 01:57PM

“What is the definition of insanity again? Oh, doing the same thing over and over but expect a different result. No more Nutter tax, not a Nutter term! I think Karen Brown went to school with Nutter's sister. Where did you get your facts?”