How Much Is Too Much Methadone Treatment?

By Michael Alan Goldberg
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 30 | Posted Apr. 13, 2011

A 2009 report showed that prescription methadone in pill form—not the liquid dose found in clinics—is responsible for the rise in methadone-related deaths.

For decades, methadone has been the drug of choice for substance-abuse specialists trying to help their patients kick addictions to heroin, morphine and other opiates. Over time, the drug has proven highly effective in reducing opiate cravings and suppressing withdrawal symptoms. It’s cost-effective as well, at about a dollar a dose.

But methadone has its risks. Appropriate dosage requirements vary greatly from person to person, necessitating close monitoring to prevent overdose. The drug remains in the system many hours after its effects seem to have worn off, and combined with even small amounts of alcohol, sedatives or other drugs—even cough syrup—it can be deadly. And it’s especially deadly when it’s on the streets. Methadone-related deaths are up dramatically nationwide over the past decade.

There are about 19,000 Pennsylvanians who currently receive state-funded, open-ended (meaning they can stay on the drug as long as it takes) methadone treatment at licensed clinics. Philadelphia has the highest number of patients, and the most methadone clinics, of any county in the state. But if State Sen. Kim Ward (R-Westmoreland County) has her way, those patients could see a marked reduction in methadone treatment services.

One of Ward’s two recently proposed pieces of legislation would limit Medicaid payments for methadone patients to 30 months. The other bill would restrict patients enrolled in the state’s Medical Assistance Transportation Program —which provides bus, train and car service fare to get them to and from methadone clinics for their daily dose—to a maximum of four weeks of transportation.

Ward’s basing her stance on an audit of Pennsylvania’s Medical Assistance Methadone Program by the state Legislative Budget and Finance Committee that was released in February. The report found that the average methadone patient spends 27.3 months in treatment, and that in 2009 the state spent $48.8 million for outpatient methadone treatment (an average of about $2,600 per patient for a year of methadone, counseling and other services) and an additional $32.5 million for methadone treatment transportation. Though she’s framing it as an issue of fiscal responsibility, Ward has a fundamental issue with methadone treatment for addiction.

“In many instances, you’re just trading out a heroin addiction for a legalized synthetic narcotic, and it doesn’t help that person get their life on track if we’re going to keep them on methadone maintenance for the rest of their lives,” she says. “I’d like to see people get help and recover, and not see our government pay for maintenance. And hey, some of these people are taking their methadone and selling it. It’s a bad situation we’re finding ourselves in.”

Four and a half years ago, Marti Hottenstein might have agreed with Ward’s position. In late 2006, the Warminster native’s 24-year-old son, Karl, died from a lethal combination of methadone and oxycodone. He’d been desperately seeking treatment for an addiction to Percocet, the painkiller he’d been taking for injuries suffered in a truck accident and, according to Hottenstein, had been denied inpatient rehab because “he wasn’t in bad enough shape.” Outpatient methadone treatment wasn’t an option either because federal and state guidelines mandate patients must have a minimum of one year of opiate drug use for admission. So her son illegally obtained a dose of liquid methadone from a co-worker, who had a take-home supply from a nearby clinic, to try to beat the addiction on his own.

At first, Hottenstein was angry and blamed the methadone for her son’s death. “But then I got educated,” says Hottenstein, herself a former alcohol and (non-opiate) drug abuser who’ll mark 24 years of sobriety next month. Through her nonprofit organizations Helping America Reduce Methadone Deaths (HARMD) and the How To Save a Life Foundation, she’s become an outspoken advocate for the responsible use of methadone in treating opiate addiction. She also works as a consultant for SOAR methadone clinics in Northeast Philly and Chester, where she implemented a successful methadone safety program nearly four years ago that has become a model for clinics statewide.

“Kim Ward doesn’t know what she’s talking about,” Hottenstein says. “Methadone works. If [Ward] knew anything about methadone treatment, she’d know that sometimes 30 months is not enough. What she’s doing is demonizing and discriminating against people, especially low-income people, who need this treatment. Addiction is a disease. Would Ward tell a cancer patient that they can only have 30 months of chemotherapy?”

Unlike other state-funded treatment programs, however, methadone has always had stigma attached to it: the medical consequence of bad lifestyle choices. “[Methadone treatment] is something that someone inflicted on themselves to begin with,” Ward says. And clinics are easily blamed for the drug getting out on the street.

But as a 2009 report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office determined, the bigger source of illegal methadone and the rise in deaths revolves around the take-home pill form—as opposed to the liquid form that patients drink at methadone clinics—which is increasingly being prescribed by physicians to treat chronic pain, not addiction.

“If you’re out on the street trying to sell your methadone and you’re selling me liquid methadone, I have no idea what you’re trying to sell me,” says Robin Rothermel, director of the Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Programs at the Pennsylvania Department of Health, who insists the state remains committed to funding methadone treatment. “Whereas if you’re diverting tablet methadone I can take one look at that and know if it’s methadone. The clinics aren’t perfect, but there’s a whole set of protocols and procedures and safeguards in place to prevent people who shouldn’t have methadone from getting it.”

In Pennsylvania, there’s no system in place to determine where the methadone that killed someone came from, but State Rep. Gene DiGirolamo (R-Bensalem) aims to change that with a bill currently in the House that would establish a review team to investigate all methadone-related deaths. DiGirolamo’s bill has gotten support from several groups, including the Pennsylvania Association for the Treatment of Opioid Dependence, which he says represents about 40 of the state’s 58 licensed methadone clinics.

“We need to get a handle on why these deaths are occurring and how we can prevent them,” says DiGirolamo, “and it’s the methadone clinics’ belief that a lot more of the deaths are occurring from doctors prescribing methadone for pain. But we have no way of knowing for sure until this team starts taking a look.”

Despite the fact that the methadone that contributed to her son’s death came from a clinic, Hottenstein is convinced the greater problem comes from prescription methadone. She says she’ll fight against Ward’s legislation, and she’ll continue to stand up for the responsible use of the drug. “I’ve lost friends over this, who think I should be anti-methadone because Karl died from it,” she says. “But methadone saves lives.”

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Apr 13, 2011 at 07:05PM

“This Senator sounds uneducated on addiction. It is pretty scary this woman is in office”

2. Anonymous said... on Apr 15, 2011 at 06:55AM

“Senator Ward may not realize that maintaining patients in treatment keeps them off the streets, decreases criminal activity, decreases the transmission of Hepatitis C and HIV, and decreases the cost to state funded health insurance (Medicaid). As a tax payer, I prefer to spend $5000 a year to keep 1 patient in treatment as opposed to the alternatives.”

3. Anonymous said... on Apr 19, 2011 at 09:37AM

“I thought the same thing, it's scary that this woman is on the senate.
It cost an average of 22,000 to 30,000 a year to house
a prisoner. Methadone allows people who are seriously in need
of help get their lives back together. A lot of these people have mental disabilities and are given assistance based on that reason. You can not
receive welfare for drug addiction, you must be diagnosed with
a mental or physical disability on top of your addiction. A lit of these recovering addicts had unthinkable childhoods and others come from nice families and ended up addicted to pills. Many go back to college and are some very intelligent people. I suggest Mrs. Ward go back to the community college she received her education from and take a class on addiction.”

4. Anonymous said... on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:06AM

“I find it quite sad that some people in better situations than others forget what
it means to help those in need. First you have to understand addiction. Many addicts suffer from mental heath issues, some have had unthinkable childhoods (rape at the hands of family memebers, addicted family members, poverty, homelessness, you name it), some have no idea what it means to e an adult because they had no one to model a normal lifestyle after. They are childlike and victims of poor conditions.
And some addicts had good families, education, and a great shot at a conventional, American life but succumbed to addiction because of genes or environment. Some due to bi polar, depression, or etc.they stepped out of the lines and these programs help all of these diverese addicts find their way back.To judge those less fortunate out of ignorance is wrong and sets a bad example.They need help and to deny them help will cause an array of more socioeconomic problems.This program was set up for a reason”

5. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2011 at 06:06PM

“I have chronic pain for over ten years and have been taking Methdone for the duration prescribed to me by a pain doctor. I take fairly "high" dose and do not take other medications. Many people who take OPIATES also take sleeeping aids and muscle relaxants. Many of these methadone related deaths were people who also took others meds like those including additional opiates. So, I would like to see the "actual" statistics that also give all the facts surrounding these deaths. I can function on the methadone I take and my speech is not slurred, nor do I stumble. All this gives Physicians in general the notion that methadone is really dangerous, and therefore are "afraid" to prescribe it!”

6. Well Educated said... on May 26, 2011 at 09:06AM

“Putting a certain amount of time that one can be on Methadone is only going to cause some of these people to go into relapse if they've hit their "30 month" mark but arent ready to get off the Methadone.. The 1st thing they tell you when you become a client at a Methadone Clinic is that one should start tappering off the methadone at their own pase.. Not everyone that attends a methadone clinicwere heroin users, there are also people who were put on prescription pain killers by their doctor for one reason or another without even knowing what they were getting theirselves into by taking the medication their DOCTOR prescribed them. Next thing they know they are getting sick without the pain killers.. It makes me sick that there's so many people that have tunnel vision when it comes to methadone clinics!! Government really needs to educate themselves before they start trying to pass the laws that are only going to make thing worst in the long run..Get it together people!!!”

7. Anonymous said... on Jul 23, 2011 at 02:06PM

“This whole "trading one addiction for another" is just the sort of mind set that keeps people from getting the help they need and perpetuates the stigma - methadone saves lives and gets people out of the downward spiral that is addiction - dependence on methadone is NOT the same as addiction to heroin and I'm here to tell you that the ONLY thing that saved my life is an adequate dose, therapy and my own willingness to change - there is no 'one size fits all' answer to the problem of drug addiction - it's a disease that needs to be treated in a medical setting and has no place in the criminal system or as a pawn in political games - it's simple really - methadone reduces crime, disease and saves lives. I am now doing a successful taper and if I succeed I'll be one of the lucky ones - not all of us can - but if I'm unable I will maintain on a low dose of methadone if necessary it would surely beat living the nightmare that is heroin addiction.”

8. Jose DeLeon said... on Apr 14, 2012 at 02:21PM

“I'm glad that she has opened her mouth. Now whoever has elected her can see for themselves how much of a mistake they have made. This will be her last term I'm sure. Though I believe that this will not pass in the House whatever Senator supports this must not be re-elected. You can not be a good Senator if you don't properly research important areas like methadone before you think about putting together a BILL. Addiction is a Brain Disease regardless of who opposes this truth. The brain physically changes as a result of drug use. In many cases the brain does not fully recover so medication such as methadone may be needed for the rest of many recovering peoples lives. If you want to be educated on Methadone please feel free to contact me at jdeleon@net-centers.org”

9. Anonymous said... on Apr 25, 2012 at 05:50PM

“If this program worked then why are so many on Methadone for years. It does not work and often many can't hold a job because they have to get their methadone in the morning and then do meetings during the day. If you are on methadone and get arrested you go to jail and if convicted and ordered to do jail time then they will keep you on methadone program in jail. You can rob, beat and even kill someone and stay in jail on methadone. Really, now this is a real crime!!! The money needs to be spent on good rehabs that can get people off drugs, even if we need to pay the private sector. State run rehabs are another joke and they need to be looked at also. Yes, there are some drug addicts that want to get off drugs but they are far and few and already have destroyed so many in the process. Maybe the Senator has a point, alloying someone to be on methadone for 5, 10, 20 and even 30 years is wrong and solves nothing!!!”

10. Anonymous said... on Jan 9, 2013 at 12:43PM

“Your a fool it don't matter how long there on methadone its better then them being. On the streets shooting heroin and terrorizing communities you are clueless and maybe one day you will find yourself in the same predictament or someone you love then speak that foolishness”

11. Anonymous said... on Jan 15, 2013 at 11:49PM

“Philadelphia has the worst methadone clinics ever. I was a cash paying patient that paid 125 dollars a week. 95% of methadone patients in Philadelphia do not work and abuse the welfare system. Do Not go to the SOAR Methadone Clinic, I got fired from 2 jobs because they held my dose over my head. If your a cash paying patient and working class person and are thinking of going to a methadone clinic, don't go to a Philadelphia clinic, go across the bridge to New Jersey where they follow federal guide lines, and cash paying patients Do Not have to do any group counseling, only have to meet with an individual counselor once a month. After 18 months of clean time you are given up to 27 take home doses a month. Thank god I'm a hard working union worker that was able to get jobs after soar had me fired from 2 jobs for putting me on what they call hold. I'm glad I'm at a new jersey clinic now with 27 take home doses with all cash paying patients that work for a living.”

12. Anonymous said... on Jan 16, 2013 at 01:46PM

“I'm an addict on methadone and I'm also a cash paying person. I totally agree with ward but after 30 months welfare patients should be employed and also pay cash too. I agree with the person who wrote the post above because I also was a patient at soar clinic in Philadelphia paying cash. The staff is so incompitent and unprofessional. I was also a worker and was told I had to make all these nonsense groups and would be put on hold if they said you didn't make a group and they would make go to work sick with out your dose and come back at 5pm to get it and I paid cash too. I also went to new jersey and they are for cash paying patients only and I love it. It is so professional in jersey. It cracks me up the soar gets all these good write ups and little does staff no what really goes on there it's like mutter street in parking lot from 5:30am till closing time with all the welfare patients all hanging out front doing business.”

13. Anonymous said... on Jan 16, 2013 at 07:20PM

“Wow I like all this talk about soar clinic in northeast Philadelphia. The above posts are so true, they talk how great that clinic is and when you join and have a job and pay cash it is the worst clinic you can ever join. It's all welfare clients that get everything free and don't have to be in work like cash paying clients do. The staff are so stupid there they have no clue what's going on there like the post above said. You can get anything you want in that parking lot even you can pay for clean urine with methadone in it and pass a drug test. When your paying cash it makes you so made hearing all the welfare people who get it for free that if they had to pay they would just stay on dope. It's so funny I too transferred to new jersey to an all cash paying clinic it's half the price and you have every holiday off and Sunday off. You also earn take homes every 90 days as federal guidelines say and after 18 months you earn 27 take homes a month. You also do not have to do any groups”

14. Anonymous said... on Jan 17, 2013 at 08:45AM

“I'm going to try to make this post as straight to the point. I'm an alcoholic and drug addict recovery. I have 30 years clean and sober and I'm a retired homicide detective from Philadelphia. I've done every drug under the sun and I was a iv drug user in my first ten years as an officer. I got clean and became a homicide detective and also had a son die from methadone is friend gave him a take home dose to try to help him and he passéd away from it. Long story short I think this marti huddenstein is out of her mind. I'm so sorry for the loss of her son but your never going to stop drug overdoses. I have another son on a methadone but I sent to a jersey clinic because he pays cash and works. He's been clean the whole time and gets Sunday off and every holiday for take plus his clean time take home doses. Phila detectives don't have time investigate methadone deaths besalem does because they just wright parking tickets. As a detective I would never give my sons friend jail for his death.”

15. Anonymous said... on Jan 17, 2013 at 01:47PM

“I agree too that huddenstein has ruined Philadelphia methadone programs especially for people who are doing the right thing. She made it so there is no more Sunday take homes and holiday take homes. I'm so sorry for the loss of her so too but nobody put a gun to Any addicts head and said do this, his friend was just trying to help him and his friend got jail time. I agree with the post above and you were a detective and didn't press charges against your sons friend who gave him one of his take home doses. I'm an opiate addict too on methadone and she made me not want to be a client in Philadelphia. I also agree with the above post about investigating methadone deaths like you said Philadelphia has more on there hands then methadone, how about getting personel that work at these clinics and the last couple posts I also live in Pa and go to jersey because of her making all these crazy laws. Jersey is so great with there system because they follow federal guidelines to the T.”

16. Anonymous said... on Jan 22, 2013 at 08:48PM

“My son died because of their idiotic procedure of giving addicts a death pill to take home and sell for their preferred drug of choice. I cannot believe the outrageous statements. By the way, you are not clean and sober if you are on heroin. Ward is right on, the addicts are selling it on the street. Did you know that close to one third of all over doses are methadone related? Read this article from an actual methadone user. http://voices.yahoo.com/are-methadone-clinics-good-thing-former-methadone-594872.html?cat=71”

17. Anonymous said... on Jan 22, 2013 at 09:15PM

“I meant to say you are not clean and sober if you are on methadone. And you Ms. Huddenstein should be ashamed of yourself, your child died from methadone, you were part of a very good organization HARMD, you know methadone deaths have increased 600 percent since 1999 and you are a pro-methadone advocate?! Just how much money did they pay you?! Methadone overdoses are increasing so much because of the methadone clinics giving out pills!!! No amount of money would ever make me turn away from what is right!!! Ward is right with with her statements. I have never ever personally met anyone that has benefited from methadone, you are just trading one drug for another, methadone being even harder than heroin to withdrawl from. The only people that are benefiting from methadone is the pharmaceutical companies and the owners of the methadone clinics. And the paid pro-methadone advocates. They are stronger than the NRA.

18. Anonymous said... on Feb 6, 2013 at 09:29PM

“She should talk to some actual people on methadone who it has helped. My fiancé and I have been on methadone for 5 years and it has changed our lives. In that time we have kept jobs, got our credit together, bought a car and purchased our first home almost two years ago and our children are all in school with honor roll. It does work only with counseling and support. I am still working on what caused this in the first place. If more people like my fiancé and I would share our stories there might not be as many people against it. There isn't enough of us that will put ourselves out there because of the negative reputation. It saved our lives.”

19. Anonymous said... on Mar 8, 2013 at 07:15PM

“i havent heard one single valid argument opposing methadone on here..alls i see is willful ignorance and intellectually bankrupt simpletons who would rather perpetuate unwarranted stigma and fallacies instead of doing simple research..

since ive been on methadone ive paid 20 times the cost in TAXES from my JOB then it cost the taxpayer to send me ,although i have been a cash patient...
i enrolled in school,got a job,getting married next year,buying my first home in ten months,rented my first house 3 years ago,ect,ect,ect
...it is NOT fiscally responsible to cut methadone funding..that is assine to even think so..it is IRREFUTABLE UNDENIABLE fact that it is CHEAPER to treat an addict then to not..PERIOD...prisons,crimes,and healthcare cost MORE then paying for the addicts methadone.get real.its the lesser of two evils.PERIOD. plus if the addict gets a job,like me,then he will be GENERATING revenue for the state,NOT recieving”

20. Anonymous said... on May 24, 2013 at 08:31PM

“I see nothing but deception here. Marti and the clan are continuing to buy into the idea that the patients are somehow clean and the treatment facility cares. Patients are still getting high, clinic rules have dropped considerably and it's by chance and luck that there aren't more methadone deaths. It has turned into a liquid pill mill allowing people with no intentions of getting clean to come and waste tax payer money. I've seen first hand that methadone rarely works and the clinics only take welfare insurance thus furthering the problem of wasted funds on people who should be working.”

21. Anonymous said... on May 26, 2013 at 09:11PM

“Harm reduction for the patients and the community, helloooo what is wrong with this picture. We have a self admitted dope fiend for a f$&@?ing detective LOSERRR letting ur kid go to jersey to dose and not get treatment and support shame on ur dumb ass ur gonna lose him too. Methadone works however like someone said u need treatment and support groups. I had a 30 year addiction and now I have over 4 yrs. clean. Furthermore, methadone clinics do take private insurance get ur shit straight. The only thing that u ppl don't understand is that there only solutions if the person wants them. None of u opposing methadone have little or no ability to think logically u all have suffered some issue about someone or someplace now u want to blame methadone as the culprit u all need to be-educated”

22. brendaelk said... on Jun 10, 2013 at 12:36PM

“I have been on Methadone for 18 years, I have no dirty urine analysis in that time, I managed to stop all illegal drugs and the means of getting the money from crime to support it. While on hard drugs you are not able to feel pleasure in any way due to no release of endorphins which happens with opiates. I have a painful degenerative disease and if not for the methadone I would have little relief and no happiness. I pay for my methadone myself. It has helped a lot of us older addicts live a normal productive lives. I am not happy that I am so needful of it but I thank God it is an option for me at this time of life,almost 60 yrs. old.”

23. Rita Alfano said... on Jun 19, 2013 at 05:51PM

“I have spoken to Gene Digiralamo recently in 2013 to stop the drug clinics from giving methadone to these drug addicts forever. All of the money spent on these people could be better spent on things like the Philadelphia school district. He never called me back. Apparently, he does not care. So to date, these drug addicts, who constantly are found taking other drugs, continue to be on methadone. It seems to me that if they are caught three times, they should be kicked out of the program. I have no doubt that the clinics bread and butter depends on welfare money. And yes, I know for a fact that they sell their methadone. Rita Alfano”

24. Anonymous said... on Jul 12, 2013 at 07:37AM

“Let's get this thing right ! yes there has been an increase in methadone related overdoses, however that increase is DIRECTLY linked to the increase of family physicians prescribing Methadone for pain management. Methadone is safe if taken as prescribed and without other. I've read all the comment here and they make me sick. Methadone Treatment works. . If you people only knew what it takes to get take home privileges, you'd probably shut up! While not everyone is acting in good faith while receiving MMTx you can't smack the 98% of the people that are. There are restrictions & requirements that must be met to obtain take home bottles, no dirty urines (for ANY drugs or alcohol), progress in treatment (like working). Methadone clinics are licensed by the state, inspected by the state (x2 year) and did I mention we can be inspected by the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) at any time. By the way am I counselor at a clinic in Sen Wards district, so I know what I'm talking about !”

25. Anonymous said... on Aug 14, 2013 at 02:27PM

“I have read all of the comments, and the ignorance displayed by some of these posters baffles me. Not to mention the ignorance of Sen. Ward herself. Methadone patients are not just trading one drug for a legal one. Patients at methadone clinics are NOT addicted to methadone, they are chemically dependent upon it which is entirely different. Addiction is a DISEASE, and methadone maintenance is one form of treatment. The cravings an addict experiences for opiates are incredibly strong, stronger than the desire to eat when hungry. It can take years for the brain chemistry of an opiate addict to stop telling them they NEED the opiate, and methadone curbs the cravings. Some people genuinely need to be on methadone for years, and there is nothing wrong with that. Maybe individual clinics should be investigated for their practices, but throwing a blanket statement over all clinics and addicts is simply uneducated.”

26. Anonymous said... on Aug 29, 2013 at 12:31PM

“What an ingenious way to recruit clients. Tell them they can’t get into rehab unless they go on the Methadone Clinics in Philadelphia PA. The outcome - more addiction. Everyday thousands and thousands of people go to these clinics. Only a few are taking the drug as prescribed, but all the rest are using the clinics as hang outs and a way to start the day on a high note. The addicts meet there, the street drug dealers all meet there too; selling to the masses of people who are going in and out of the clinic. This is a drug that is supposed to be helping people get off of drugs and finally wean off. But this drug also enables a person to get high on other drugs while still using the Methadone. For example, my sons get their methadone in the morning (it makes them feel better, not sick, so they never has a hangover) and then all day they can smoke Crack Cocaine or pop Xanax or even buys extra Methadone pills or heroine for a stronger effect. But the Clinics prolong this pr”

27. Frank Barnes said... on Sep 30, 2013 at 08:39PM

“First of all most people who write and vote on laws have no idea of how deathly withdrawal is NO FREAKIN JOKE I'll tie a senetor of congressman or a Doctor to a tree and hit um off for a week straight then just let them go.I bet the will surprise themselves what they will do for another bag/pill.A person who's been doing it 35 yrs you really think they can stop,it's become part of who they are.The getting the money the hitting the hood with 5-0 roaming around.Meth can give them a sense of being and even being a positive part of society again.Do we black ball diabetics who take a needle to live same thing different sickness.Don't know where you haven't been stop writing laws for people you know nothing about.”

28. asheville, NC said... on Dec 5, 2013 at 10:22PM

“cheaper for the government to keep mom clean and then take baby than to keep baby with mom... so many families want a clean baby.. and deserve one. drug moms don't do what is ask of them, most of them don't, And grandparents cant keep babies when there are good families who will take care of them and let the grandparents be a grandparent. Love my grandson who is going to be adopted and they will let me be grandma.... It is what is best for him. thanks”

29. Anonymous said... on Jan 15, 2014 at 10:52AM

“One major problem I see with methadone maint. in Pa., is this state encourages people not to work. My husband and I both work. I go to the clinic I am only on 12 mili a day. I go in and must pay $100.00 a week; and its 85 mile round trip daily. I see all these people on Medicaid they get gas money back and their medication free because they do not work. We have one of the best private insurance co. and because we work, and do not live off welfare we have to pay. I say cut Medicaid or take private insurance; you say people get treated bad because they are poor; we go broke because we work. I spend 800$ a month between gas and med; we are being punished for being productive and that is wrong. oh by the way I am not a druggie; I was doctor addicted due to a major surgery!”

30. Anonymous said... on Feb 5, 2014 at 01:55PM

“Most of the people who work at these clinics are a joke. example: The Nurse {is she really an RN?} who has been fired from other Methadone places and is known for watering down the methadone and playing with people and holding doses and has tons of family working with her. She is at the Net now and really fits in with the crew there. These clinics would be so screwed if they followed the guidelines. As a medical biller I can see what they are doing to get money out of Insurance companies and it sure as shit has nothing to do with caring for the patient. Groups 4/5 times a week interfering with peoples jobs? The Methadone can work but we need to get rid of the long time theives who are running them and it is deep.”