Fellowship of the Eagles: a fantasy football epic

Philadelphia fans have no real hope this year. Which is why it’s time for us all to embrace the un-real.

By Max Ufberg
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 7 | Posted Sep. 9, 2013

Who’s Gollum? The guy who scares me in Week 1: Brent Celek. He’s been one of the Eagles’ more consistent weapons for a few years now, racking up nearly 700 yards last year. The problem with Celek: Chip Kelly never throws to his tight ends. According to philly.com, in Kelly’s four seasons as a head coach at Oregon, tight ends caught just 16.3 percent of completed passes, compared to Bill O’Brien’s Nittany Lions, who completed 30.1 percent of their passes to tight ends. Add in the fact that the Eagles brought in veteran James Casey and drafted Stanford’s Zach Ertz, and I’m starting a tight end from a different team. Celek is talented, but I’d wait and see how he fits into this new offense.

Who’s Boromir? The guy I just can’t figure out in Week 1: DeSean Jackson. Normally, I’m not that high on Jackson. In the past he’s been drafted way too high for a guy who’s never topped 1,200 yards receiving and has just four 100 yard games in his last two seasons. On the other hand, the guy can score from anywhere on the field, and has value as a punt returner and a runner. A true boom-or-bust player, Jackson will go from a two-week 162-yard output to a two-week 14 yard sputtering. You never know what you’ll get with him. But against Washington’s shaky secondary, he’s worth a roll of the dice. It’s early in the season. I think we can afford some risk.

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. Mike Rudolphi said... on Sep 9, 2013 at 02:58PM

“I agree with most of this and I think I can use these tips for my fantasy team. You gotta mention Randall Cunningham. He is one bright spot in a dozen years of misery. Hey, for fantasy, at least the Birds are good for somethin this year. Tired of being disappointed but now I know that at least in my own world, a team from Philly can win some games.”

2. Aviva said... on Sep 9, 2013 at 03:44PM

“A novel way to make Philadelphians feel not so bad about themselves! Go fantasy-realm Iggles!”

3. Joe Portnova said... on Sep 9, 2013 at 08:37PM

“I wish fantasy was around when Rodney Peete was playing. He was short but he could really air it out and was a deceptive scrambler!!”

4. Dovid Rosenberg said... on Sep 9, 2013 at 09:31PM

“Great column, I hope to see it every week. Real life Birds look pretty good tonight too!”

5. Birdwatcher said... on Sep 9, 2013 at 11:59PM

“Fantasy this, Mr. Doom-and-Gloom. Da Boids done skinned Da Skins on Washington's own hallowed ground. What hill is it that you and 10,000 other Phill-idiots think Mike Vick is over again??? Say what????????”

6. Arnold Gass said... on Sep 10, 2013 at 11:24AM

“Get out, booger! The Iggles won't win unless they make Chip get the Kelly out of here and bring back Kotite! Ha, remember that guy? Oh, come on, we're doomed. I have one Bird on my fantasy team: Wolff, but only because I met him once at Sadlacks in Raleigh.”

7. David Robitussin said... on Sep 10, 2013 at 01:30PM

“My parents had the game on at their wash-n-fold laundromat, where I was working late and eating chow mein. And let me tell you, Birds look SOLID baby! Almost made me choke on my stir fry though with that first turnover.

I look forward to your thoughts on putting Vick in my lineup for week 2 vs SD.”