The notorious site may get shut down permanently. Is that a good thing?
It should come as no surprise that Domelights.com, the self-proclaimed “voice of the good guys”—on which city workers share opinions—is being sued. Since 2000, the controversial forums there—Philadelphia Blue (cops), Steam Vent (various), Philly’s Bravest (firefighters and paramedics)—have been a frequent target of anger and mockery in the Philadelphia blogosphere and in the “liberal media” that the posters deride. The site has also been disavowed by other officers who think many posters are racist yahoos—the proverbial few bad apples—who make the PPD, especially, look bad.
Now, after nine years of hosting dubious comments about African-Americans, the site and its moderator, “McQ,” are being sued by the Guardian Civic League, the National Association of Black Law Enforcement Officers and the NAACP. The League’s Rochelle Bilal, a frequent target of vitriol on the site, is the lead plaintiff.
Due to the lawsuit, the forums, which were once open to any viewers, are now closed to anyone who was not registered previously. That’s a shame. The Philadelphia Blue forum was often a revealing look into the hearts and minds of cops on the beat—many of them white officers going into black neighborhoods. Witnessing them debate things like whether the people they’re supposed to protect deserve protection or whether those people are “savages” was … enlightening. It was also enlightening to see other Domelights commenters—themselves officers—tell the racists to shut the hell up.
We at PW will dearly miss Domelights. It was a window into a world civilians don’t often have access to. Here are some unedited highlights of the site’s more inflammatory commentary:
• [About Congress having a moment of silence for Michael Jackson]: The Animals are running the zoo.....
• relax mista black man. dont be mad that michael jackson hated being black. so he shrunk his nose and straightened his hair and bleached his skin to look powder white. and has white kids. dont be mad that prez 44 is 1/2 whitey. you can have those slug boses u mentioned. oh and u mentioned mcnabb...hmm..43 superbowls and only ONE doug williams. go figure.
• I do consider myself a trashman or zookeeper on a daily basis.
• Calling them animals is wrong!!! Animals atleast take care of their young. They are something much worse.
• Animal references are too kind for certain people. People like most animals.
• Why is it every time I go into the projects that are supposed to house people who have little more than a pot to pi$$ in I see that 95% of the houses have satellite dishes, flatscreen TVs and more video games than a GameStop? God knows we paid for it ’cause they sure as $hit didn’t work for it!
• It’s amazing how well blacks—as in the ones who don’t do a damn thing except sit on their lazy a$$es, sip Welch’s grape, watch 106th & Park and commit gunpoint robberies in between—have it in this country, despite their best attempts to paint the opposite. No work, all play, and Maury all day!!!
• And guardian civic league is RACIST. deal with it none of you(blacks) were slaves so stop crying F**K You
• Why do we call them animals? Do you work in the area’s that these posters are referring to? Do you see how “they” treat their children? Look at how “they” live. Look at their general disregard for human life. You can come back with the obvious, “it’s poverty, no jobs, no education” or whatever else you want to do to keep “them” from having any sort of self accountibility.
• “they” Are animals plain and simple
• You are better off BECAUSE of slavery. NOT in spite of it.
• Enough is enough already. Get up on your own 2 feet and stop acting like you deserve anything from anybody.You don’t. And, while we’re waiting, maybe you can sweep up in front of your houses. Poverty doesn’t mean you have to live like pigs. And tell tamika to stop having 6 kids by 4 different fathers by the time she’s 22. That might help too. Just because a guy winks at ya girlfriend, don’t mean you gotta spread you legs. ‘specially when ya ain’t got a pot to p*ss in already.
• I am getting sick & tired of the colored/negro/black/african american/ or whatever you call yourself today telling me I am to blame for your problems. Blame the damn tribal chiefs who sold you into slavery 300 years ago. They thought more of some trinkets than they did of your ancestors. Don’t tell me I owe you anything, because I don’t owe you sh1t. And don’t tell me you deserve preferential treatment to get jobs and promotions. Get a fvcking education and make something out of yourselves. Or is that too much like work.
• Where I work is an area where black people own 700” plasma TVs, drive Caddilac Escalades, never seem to go to work, and have every Nintendo Wii game there is, but thier kids sleep 4 to a bed in a house infested with livestock that looks like it hasn’t been cleaned in years.
• Kids, along with adults can’t speak proper English or spell at a 3rd grade level, but they can sing among “theyselves” the lyrics to a rap song. ■
Letters to the Editor
Letters to the Editor