Camden, a City of Angels

By Tara Murtha
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 6 | Posted Jan. 26, 2011

Though membership means three to four months of training—CPR, martial arts, general procedure and safety protocols—under the circumstances, Soto will hit the pavement in a red beret tomorrow. Within 20 minutes, he’s already wearing an official Guardian Angels sweatshirt.

Soto moved from Kensington to Camden. Someone overhears this and laughs. “You traded one good neighborhood for another!” he says. “Yeah,” snorts Soto.

Camden resident Michelle Sheppard, 52, is glad people like Soto want to join the Angels, but echoes the sentiment of many when she says it’s no replacement for police.

“The city is already in danger, but you’re going to take away its armed forces? That’s what it is, armed forces, because it’s a battlefield out here,” she says while waving her cigarette across the street, at the bus shelters.

“I heard they’re recruiting security guards from Camden hospital,” says 38-year-old Shannon Souzers, who grew up in Collingswood and says she’s watched the area crumble.

“They need people to help them... Right now, we’re outnumbered, two to one,” she says, glancing around. “At least.”

Prev| Page: 1 2 3

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 12:20PM

“I am not very happy.....my name is sean, 26.....and you interviewed me in front of the transportation center, I live outside the city, and you told me that I would be in the article. So what is the reason my thoughts and I are not in the article? Were my thoughts and opinions not good enough for you to put into it? If you had an excess of people and comments, then you should not have taken my interview.....I am really offended that you took my statement/opinion/thoughts and didnt even give me one cheap line in a free newspaper. Funny thing is this whole time you really had me thinking about joining the Angels. Since I was interested because of you, I no longer am considering it,the city of Camden and the Angels have two less recruits, myself and my wife. I guess the Angels have you to thank. For future articles, you should never tell a person that they would be in the news article when you aren't sure if they will be. That is just mean, and so are you.”

2. Anonymous said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 02:56PM

“to the previous commenter: well, that is unfortunate that you would give up helping your city because a reporter didn't quote you.”

3. SEL793 said... on Jan 27, 2011 at 01:11AM

“Waaa waaa waaa. Maybe your comments sucked.”

4. Anonymous said... on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:09AM

“Hey, I can understand your frustration of being told you would be in the article and then you are not. It definitely should've been worded differently.
On the other hand, if you are going to let words of one person sway the way you make your decisions in life, like not to become an Guardian Angel because of that person, then I don't know that I would feel safe around you whether an Angel or not. So many people say so much, call others names, fear the unknown, complain, but yet don't step up to the plate and fight for safer neighborhoods for all citizens. Maybe the Angels are better off without you since they get called names all of the time, people say they will join and then never show. Then you have the ones such as Life, Third Rail and High Tower who are living the value of safety in neighborhoods and are willing to help out no matter what.”

5. Where'd they go? said... on Feb 10, 2011 at 10:05PM

“Ironic how I saw the Guardian Angels in Camden everyday the first 2 weeks of their 3 month commitment, (usually with a news crew or camera), but since this story was published, I have yet to see them anywhere! Think you can do another cover story on them to get them back out there? No cameras= no Angels. Camden is being lied to.”

6. jesus said... on Mar 26, 2011 at 12:58PM

“WOW
So the face book updates every week are fake.”