Phil Esposito Takes on Hipster Rappers

Big City Philadelphia joins the fray over skinny jeans and homophobia.

By Brian McManus
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 61 | Posted May. 5, 2009

Put another way, from rapper Termanology’s “Tight Pants Are 4 Girls:” “You have no business touchin’ a mic/ And with pants that tight you should wear just tights/ Since when is it cool to dress like a dude that fucks another dude/ Y’all To Wong Foo/ I pray for a monsoon/ To come this way and wash away every rapper just like you.”

It could also be that street-oriented artists like Big City fire shots at hipster rappers because hipster rappers don’t fire back. Under an avalanche of verbal bullets, they’ve gone Gandhi. What’s more, these hipster artists get press in magazines (see XXL’s “Freshmen” issue) and across the blogosphere, and by extension so do the artists offering up hipster-dis tracks. It’s the best of both worlds: maximum potential, minimum risk.

Crawford says not being painted by the broad “hipster” brush is a business move.

“The term ‘hipster’ and ‘hipster rap’ still has a negative connotation in hip-hop,” he says. “It insinuates that you’re something less than a rapper, more fashion than substance. Artists don’t want to see that label put on them, at least until ‘hipster rap’ becomes commercially viable. Cool Kids put an album out and it only sold like 4,000 copies, despite the fact that they’ve been mentioned on the Internets more times than 2 Girls 1 Cup.”

Despite several requests, Cool Kids declined comment for this story. Their publicist’s explanation: “They don’t want to be involved in any hipster rap-type story. They’ve been avoiding the same type of pieces for a while. Their stance on the issue is they don’t really consider themselves to be ‘hipster’ rappers.”

Spank Rock also declined an interview. Chicago’s Kid Sister, also namedropped in City’s “Hipster,” was “in the studio” and couldn’t be reached for comment. Philadelphia’s own Plastic Little, often lumped in with hipster rap, declined several interview requests.

Even before penning the anti-hipster anthem, Esposito had been on the cusp of breaking big. Years ago, Will Smith’s Overbrook Entertainment—hot on the heels of Eminem’s success—flew him out to Los Angeles and dreamt up his marketing scheme.

“I have a tattoo on my left arm—‘ITALIAN STALLION,’ it says. It’s a horse head. Will Smith’s manager Charlie Mac looked at that and he said, ‘IS, I.S.’ I said ‘What’s that? Is?’ He said, ‘I.S. Italian Stallion, the initials. We’ll call you IS. We’ll print up billboards and everything, Who IS he?’ I’ll have a hood on and ‘Who IS he?’ written above my head. And then they find out I’m white.”

The dream ended with Esposito’s attempted murder charge.

Later, Esposito would impress Beanie Sigel with an impromptu freestyle.

“Beans first heard about me in the streets. They were lookin’ for an Italian kid, some kind of twist like that, so my old manager called me up and was like, ‘Phil. Listen, man, Beans wants to meet you.’ They throw a Roc-A-Fella party, they bring me backstage,” says Big City, remembering the promise those days held. “There’s Freeway, all the Young Gunz, Memphis Bleek and Sigel. Sigel pulls me into a little bathroom with one of the guys who heard my CD and was like, ‘Yo, this is the guy.’ I hit him with a verse and he was like, ‘That’s that South Philly Sopranos shit. I’m gonna run that right with [Beanie’s label] State Property.’ Wound up bein’, still again, got locked up. I just still couldn’t get it right. You know when you’re out there thuggin’, you ain’t focusing on something that’s more established or real. All you know is quick money, hustlin’ in strip clubs and shit. You don’t know how to do it right and step back and slow down.”

Turns out, Sigel had his own problems slowing down, and the two were reunited at the federal correctional institution in Fairton, where they both did time and, according to Esposito, the two would rap on top of picnic tables in the courtyard. Esposito took all comers in rap battles that became the talk of the prison. From there, Sigel gave him his new rap name, Big City Phil, which turned to Big City Philadelphia.

Now out of prison, Big City has kept his nose clean, steering clear of the tumultuous world that gave him so much trouble, working as a rigger in Northeast Philly.

“I’ve messed up too many times. I’m not doing that anymore. I’ve got a wife. I’ve got a family. This is my shot.”

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4

COMMENTS

1. tommy up said... on May 5, 2009 at 09:36PM

“This story is completely retarded.
The fact that none of these dudes would comment on this should have been an indication of the lack of teeth in this thing.
That guy's video has 30,000 youtube views. Is that really a lot to you?”

2. Katchin05 said... on May 5, 2009 at 09:59PM

“I wonder if these "No Tight Clothes" uber-homophobic people in hiphop realize they are they Mr. Wilson's of the future. They fist shaking, change-fearing numb-nuts who just end up being the but of so many jokes for their close mindedness. He is just another gasping breath of hot air from an antiquated way of thinking.
In all honesty who (besides PW, clearly) cares what this guy has to think? The song is not funny, unoriginal & generally lame besides all of this!

3. mofoplease said... on May 5, 2009 at 11:33PM

“tight jeans are corny on guys
but what do the clothes have to do with skills on the mike.

"I'm gangsta. I'm gangsta. Sign me. Sign me.Check out my street cred. My arrest record."

Don't really see what this has to do with making music.

4. BILK said... on May 6, 2009 at 02:59AM

“this story and in fact the entire PW Music section is bunk as usual.

nice plug!

Hipster hit list give me a break. And you dont even put BILK on the list!

I actually SHOT and KILLED a CLOWN last time I was in Philly...and still no press (ask MILKBOY if you dont believe me)...
....the level of bias against hipster rockers is unprecedented...if I were a rap star Id be famous by now!

-BILK (angry Bilk :( )”

5. HHA said... on May 6, 2009 at 09:57AM

“Glad to see Big City getting shine - all the haters can eat a dick. City is a standup cat who's been hot in the street for years, and now he got his little internet thing on too. Keep on, playa.”

6. Brian McManus said... on May 6, 2009 at 10:10AM

“Tommy Up,

Perhaps this should have been mentioned in the story: The "Hipster" up now isn't the original, which was taken down after over 100,000 views and replaced by one of higher quality. Combined with the other videos in the piece—"No Tight Clothes," "Tight Pants Are 4 Girls," "Operation Purse Snatcher"—we're talking over a million views. This growing and very real hipster rap backlash in street-oriented hip-hop has been written about extensively in other outlets and, now that there's a Philadelphia face attached, we've written about it too. Not sure what's "retarded" about that, but to each his own. Perhaps your promotion of parties played by some of the artists dissed by City has clouded your judgment here.

Bilk,

You have been a thorn in my side for well over a year now. Yes, you gave me your CD at Concerts in the Park. No, we never wrote about it or promoted your shows. Yes, I know you advertise with us occasionally. You've reminded me time and time again in countless emails and phone calls. I'm sorry you feel so jilted. Let me know when your next show is, and I swear on a stack of your hand-made CDs we'll write it up. In Week's Worst.

Vaya Con Dios,
Brian

7. tommy up said... on May 6, 2009 at 10:21AM

“ok, since we're posting responses directly...

Brian, this dude is a joke. The song is kinda funny, but its only memorable because the people he mentioned are actually interesting.

I haven't looked at the paper, is this on the cover?

I can see if you expanded the scope of the story into a general question of hipster rap and it's backlash, but this story came off like a giant puff piece on this one guy, who is going nowhere.

It's also really coming off as an extension of PW's new "war on hipsters" mantra, which is misguided. It's like the Voice declaring "war on hippies" in '72.”

8. tommy up said... on May 6, 2009 at 10:21AM

“ok, since we're posting responses directly...

I haven't looked at the paper, is this on the cover?

9. The Raw Dope said... on May 6, 2009 at 10:25AM

“Go listen to Aesop Rock ya fruits. If the streets are too hot, get ur ears outta hip hop.”

10. LDPA said... on May 6, 2009 at 10:31AM

“How to Rob an Industry Hipster was excellent commentary on the direction hip hop has taken in the past few years. The song, artist, and article are important.”

11. Ceejay said... on May 6, 2009 at 10:38AM

“yea, tommyup, ur right, dude must be a joke. i mean, 6 different prisons, shackled head to toe on con air, surviving a month-long coma, his biological father murdered,his step-dad pinched and then dying in prison, and then after of all of this, he drops an internet sensation defending classic street rap while attacking market-friendly bullshit disco rap. yea, ur right, who's dumb idea was it to give this guy any shine?”

12. Ellen said... on May 6, 2009 at 10:46AM

“Hey he's way better than that piece of shit Asher Roth you hyped a couple weeks ago.”

13. Brian McManus said... on May 6, 2009 at 10:46AM

“TU,

Not sure what new war on hipsters you’re referring to. That “All Hipsters Must Die” issue (or whatever it was called) was well before my time, and I’ve been on staff three years. We’ve not printed any anti-hipster stories since I’ve been here, far as I know. (Excluding whatever Steven Wells might have written here and there as an aside, but he’s Steven Wells, and you CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN HIM!) In fact, we wrote a cover story about Asher Roth three weeks ago and got a torrent of emails and comments from people telling us to “stop riding these hipsters’ nuts.”

As far as this being a puff piece, we’ll have to agree to disagree. I think some of the things these guys say is pretty vile (specifically on the issues of sexuality and fashion), and I don’t subscribe to their assessment of the music they rail against. I’m a huge fan of Spank Rock and Charles Hamilton. I love Cool Kids. Much like Nah Right's Eskay says in the story, "to each his own." But my job is to put the facts out there as they are without judgment, let the people decide. I feel I’ve done that.

B”

14. Damian said... on May 6, 2009 at 10:54AM

“If half these haters ever actually listened to big city philadelphia's mixtape they would change their tune. but it's so much easier to hate.”

15. Ellen said... on May 6, 2009 at 11:06AM

“Oh yeah, here's a gem from Asher Roth:

"Roth uploaded to his MySpace page “A Millie Remix,” a freestyle rhyme over Lil Wayne’s “A Milli” beat, criticizing rappers who boast about having millions of dollars but 'don’t share, don’t donate to charity.'

'When I dropped that … (I thought) ‘You guys are always going off about how much money you have. Do you realize what’s going on in this world right now?’ All these black rappers — African rappers — talking about how much money they have. ‘Do you realize what’s going on in Africa right now?’ Roth says.

It’s just like, ‘You guys are disgusting. Talking about billions and billions of dollars you have. And spending it frivolously, when you know, the Motherland is suffering beyond belief right now.’"

Not sure if a rich Jewish kid from the 'burbs is the right person to make this claim.”

16. Evil I said... on May 6, 2009 at 11:14AM

“I agree, it's all in fun, but at the end of the day, homophobia and any sort of bullying is wicked behavior.

That being said, hip hop is an art form has nothing to do with morality. The question is quality of artistry.

I don't really see any value in these hipster rappers. I do see value is a dude like Big City.”

17. Sam from Bam said... on May 6, 2009 at 11:51AM

“What is rap really? Its talking over a beat, simple and plain. Hip-hop is the culture, the dress, the music, the dances. "Gangster" rap is hip-hop, and so is "hipset" rap. They both have uniforms and cultures attached to their listeners. The problem is shine or pub given by magazines and TV. Everyone wants to be the best "talker=rapper" from his or her respective rap culture, but there is only so much shine to go around. I listen to it all, but I feel that the model set by the late great Pimp C and UGK is the best. These guys grinded for the better part of the 90s and 00s, but they kept it underground. As soon as they dropped a CD it went gold or platinum b/c they kept a formula, kept grinding and stayed out of the mainstream. If your music is good and you're out there trying to expose people to it, it will sell. Most of these rappers just ain't got nothin to say about nothin. Pimp C (R.I.P Pimp) didn't make rap music he made "country rap tunes". The dichmomy in rap will always be there. BX vs QB, East vs west, south vs everyone, now its Hipster vs Gangster. All these rappers are just talking, telling stories. Now if I grow up living on the beach and eating fish all day, and you grow up living in the cold, eating Crown Fried Chicken, and we are both rappers talking about our lives, who's life is more real?
Bottom line, Big City has the hustle and the desire, but his story is a better book or movie than a rap album. How many different ways can you tell people about drugs, violence, partying, women, clothes and money before you start to sound redundant as a genre. Hipster-hop came from black kids from the burbs with money. The gangster lifestyle ain't appealing if you don't have to live it. "Unfortunately if you grow up fortunate the streets consider you lame" Andre 3000.”

18. Big City's Little Bro! said... on May 6, 2009 at 12:49PM

“I would like everyone that read this article to really listen to the music that Big City is really saying. The stuff he is saying is what rap needs. Yes there is this "Hipster" music but this is rap at its best. Just check his Music out. And then lets see how you feel.”

19. Big City's Little Bro! said... on May 6, 2009 at 12:49PM

20. Eric G'z said... on May 6, 2009 at 01:13PM

“Yea this kid is the reald deal
seriously this is rap at its best not kiddy shit
...and half yall who comment negatively cant do any better
than what this kid is putting out”

21. Eric G'z said... on May 6, 2009 at 01:13PM

“Yea this kid is the reald deal
seriously this is rap at its best not kiddy shit
...and half yall who comment negatively cant do any better
than what this kid is putting out”

22. Anonymous said... on May 6, 2009 at 01:17PM

“Im feelin it...yea he means wat he speaks....get it.....and to the yunger bro hold ya fam down nice promoting ya fam!!!”

23. Anonymous said... on May 6, 2009 at 01:17PM

24. Mike J said... on May 6, 2009 at 01:19PM

“this bulls shit is fire
i worked with him before and he taught me (and im much older than him)
that rape is like a heart beat with out we would die

25. Real Ni99a said... on May 6, 2009 at 01:25PM

“Mike J...u sound stupid
u need to read what u type
but u still a fan so thats whats up
and yall should just stop hatin
and it good that we have whites in music
that better than Asher Roth”

26. Steven Wells said... on May 6, 2009 at 01:44PM

“Tommy,

I wouldn't have thought it possible to read the story as being anti-hipster. The guy comes across as a total dick.

Am amused to see several hip Philadelphians jumping to the conclusion that it is.

"There are no hipsters. Stop attacking us."

Further, anybody who thinks there were no hippies around in 1972, wasn't around in 1972.

27. Anonymous said... on May 6, 2009 at 03:19PM

“Its about time someone addresses this fad of popcorn, bubble gum metro-sexual genre of music that passes itself off as hip hop.There should be a committee put in place to insure this music is put in its proper category..."sip cock" is what we old heads know it as. That committee should be selected by Phil. My suggestion is he might want to start with the ghost of Old Dirt Bastard,kool G Rap(after being fed gun powder),Dj Kay Slay,Mike Tyson(after being slapped 4 times by Kimbo Slice) and Krs-1. The point is is that Phil is like the unspoken conscience of the people who like,create,live or grew up on the feeling that only real hip hop can give you. Stop denying the voice of truth...Phil drop an album on these homogenized listeners!!!! We're with you son....”

28. BHop said... on May 6, 2009 at 03:29PM

“Might be a little early to say this but it seems Big City Phil is proving worthy of inclusion in an exclusive category of true blue Philly beasts:

Bernard Hopkins
Joe Frazier
Skinny Joey
Beanie Sigel
Big City

29. Anonymous said... on May 6, 2009 at 04:05PM

“Funny how half the comments are saying that heads are hating on Big City, but the whole piece is about how he's being a hater on rappers that don't talk about drugs and guns and dress different. Hypocricy is what has killed hip hop in the last 10 years.”

30. DEVIL KILLER said... on May 6, 2009 at 05:43PM

“WELL I JUST SAY THIS...PEOPLE NEED TO STOP WITH THE NASTY SELFISH WAY OF THINKING...YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE...IF HE HAS SOMETHING ON HIS CHEST LET HIM GET IT OFF THE BEST WAY HE CAN..HE DID HIS WRONG DOING AND NOW HE'S HERE TO SAY HEY MY BAD I WAS YOUNG AND WELL AWARE OF THE THINGS I DID BUT WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T CHANGE TOO....GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME...BIG CITY..DO YOUR THING YOUNG BROTHER....P.S....I MAKE OLD SCHOOL BEATZ TOO....”

31. Vinny bags said... on May 6, 2009 at 05:44PM

“Is this kid gonna get a deal...Someone needs to sign him Quick. He is the cure for Hip-Hop's Sickness....”

32. JB said... on May 6, 2009 at 07:06PM

“Didn’t your last issue have a picture of a pregnant man on the cover?”

33. Anonymous said... on May 7, 2009 at 12:23AM

“Funny that most heads on that 'hipster' list realistically have more talent than this dude.
BE YOU! Don't waste your time on how other people dress. They're doing them!
Put in work, be respected for your rhymes not some wack youtube video taking shots at 'skinny jeans'”

34. Anonymous said... on May 7, 2009 at 01:04AM

“illa straight is definitely one of the hottest in north philly right now out of Temple I'm hearing he'll run the Philly scene in a few years”

35. Matty G said... on May 7, 2009 at 03:48AM

“Maybe Big City Phil wouldn't have to complain about being broke if he were a better rapper. I'm just sayin'”

36. Devon M said... on May 7, 2009 at 08:34AM

“Wow! If you guys at what 50 cent did to get big you can see that Big City is doing the same thing. This is smart for Big City to do this. If he would of been like "Hipsters are cool" no one would care. Now since he went against them in a way hes gotta people like you hooked. bottom line the kid is nice. and since no one is running Philly right now give thiskid the throne!”

37. Devon M said... on May 7, 2009 at 08:34AM

38. Anonymous said... on May 7, 2009 at 08:38AM

“1. You don't need to be an orphan to go to the Milton Hershey School.

2. They stopped milking cows and highly doubt Phil had to do this

3. This whole thing is messy .... (the reference to stabbing not stabbing the guy in the neck ....

39. MiltgrlDF96 said... on May 7, 2009 at 09:21AM

“Look up the history of Milton Hershey School.....

Yes, at one point the criteria was to be an orphan.

Later, they started to allow people with only one parent deseased.

Then even later, they started to allow kids from broken homes in that exhibitied great need.

I know I went to school there for six years.

To All the Haters:
Don't speak about what you don't know about, Hater.

When we where there, Yes, we did milk cows at the Milt.

Call the school they will be more than glad to give you some info or a tour. No worries the cost is free!!!

I'm glad to see a homeboy, "Milt", move fowrard in life and do better.

Wish you the Best Phil aka Big City. Go get'em”

40. MiltgrlDF96 said... on May 7, 2009 at 09:21AM

“Look up the history of Milton Hershey School.....

Yes, at one point the criteria was to be an orphan.

Later, they started to allow people with only one parent deseased.

I know I went to school there for six years.

To All the Haters:
Don't speak about what you don't know about, Hater.

When we where there, Yes, we did milk cows at the Milt.

I'm glad to see a homeboy, "Milt", move fowrard in life and do better.

Wish you the Best Phil aka Big City. Go get'em”

41. Anonymous said... on May 7, 2009 at 10:17AM

“When Phil went (in the late 90's), the qualifications for going were not the same as when it started. Cows did not have to be milked, I'm pretty sure.

...and it was not a reform school.

I think it is great Phil is doing better, but I just think this was irresponsible journalism to print such inaccuracies and negativity about MHS - a place, that saved a lot of lives.”

42. Anonymous said... on May 7, 2009 at 10:17AM

...and it was not a reform school.

43. tommy up said... on May 7, 2009 at 11:03AM

“Steven I wasn't around in 72, but my parents were and they were hippies.

My simile was pretty straightforward: Don't attack your readers and don't insult the demographics you promise your advertisers.”

44. tommy up said... on May 7, 2009 at 11:03AM

“Steven I wasn't around in 72, but my parents were and they were hippies.

45. Dom said... on May 7, 2009 at 11:45AM

“Can we be honest with ourselves. THE KID IS FLAT OUT NICE. HIS MIXTAPE IS FIRE. HIS SWAG IS FIRE...AND SHYT HES FIRE. Big ups to BIG CITY. Check his mixtape out someone. then talk about him.”

46. C&D said... on May 7, 2009 at 04:19PM

“As you can see in the excerpt below, there was nothing inaccurate about the journalism. MHS's mission WAS to help assist orphaned boys WHEN it WAS established in 1909 (he was talking past tense). Since then, the criteria has changed, and exactly as Big Philly states, you did have to have a deceased parent to attend when he was there. Phil also says they did reform school shit - the journalist didn't say it was a reform school - he was quoting the rapper. And according to others leaving messages here, it seems reform school type shit was going on there at that time. And if you have any doubts, call the school and bring back better facts. Hater - work harder!

As a boy Esposito attended the Milton Hershey School in Hershey, Pa. Established in 1909 by Milton and his wife Catherine, the school’s mission was to help assist orphaned boys.

“You had to have a deceased parent to get in, and I did,” says Esposito. “They made us milk cows and shit—reform-school shit.””

47. C&D said... on May 7, 2009 at 04:21PM

“btw, I'm coining that phrase right now and putting it on t-shirts, so nobody bite. "HATER - WORK HARDER!"”

48. silverbullet69 said... on May 8, 2009 at 08:20AM

“Awesome video. Perfect timing. The whining about how it's "homophobic" is fucking stupid.

The current trend of art-school kids who started dressing like 80's rappers ironically, then realized they could make a living at it, the backlash has got to come eventually.

I like the hipster hop as much as anyone else, but it just can't replace that real in your face thug shit that gets me pumped the same way Black Flag did 15 years ago.

After a shitty day at work, when your whole life sucks and you need to blow off some steam and fantasize about beating your boss into the ground, Kanye West is just not going to do it for you..”

49. someone that actually matters said... on May 8, 2009 at 12:53PM

“this is crap. a total waste of everyone's time. THIS is the guy you chose to profile?????? young chris is working on an album, tu phace is about to sign with a HUGE label, and meek mills (maybe the best rapper on earth right now) is on grand hustle, and you chose to feature this tasteless, dated, irrelevant junk? really? good job guys. i'm done picking this paper up with the hopes of finding ANYTHING cutting edge, or, at least, interesting. wake up and stop being lazy. jaysus. this is embarrassing and counter productive. what happened to the weekly?”

50. You obiviously dont matter! said... on May 8, 2009 at 04:20PM

“Are you Sick! Do you need help!...you must be...young Chris? when was the last time he had a hit?...tu phase? tu phase doesnt even ring a bell on google. and Meek Mills...anyone can talk about guns and yell on a track. Grand Hustle is on a delay until T.I gets out. So as of Right now, I would have to say that the Streets of Philadelphia are up for grabs and it looks like Big City is in the lead to take it. Comment 49, It is truely your mistake for not taking the time to listen to his Mixtape...BUT INSTEAD YOU WROTE A COMMENT...check it out and then talk about it...”

51. Anonymous said... on May 8, 2009 at 05:42PM

“So a dead mobster's homophobic menace to society son makes a diss song and all you people have your panties in a wad? Gimme a break.”

52. Anonymous said... on May 9, 2009 at 03:03AM

“All this time I thought I didn't get hip hop because of the ridiculous posturing; the misogyny and homophobia; the celebration of violence and thuggery and the conflation of criminality with authenticity; the naked pursuit of soulless symbols of luxury and status such as designer labels, over-priced liquors, bullshit drugs and a multitude of other various glittering displays of conspicuous consumption; the general absence of melody, at least as provided by the singer - I mean rapper or whatever the fuck. Turns out the real reason I don't get hip hop is because I think baggy clothing looks ridiculous on anyone who isn't wearing diapers. Thanks for the insight into a world that is not my own, for "putting the facts out there as they are without judgment" and letting "the people decide". "Job" well done.”

53. Anonymous said... on May 9, 2009 at 07:50PM

“hahaha...such a schwag swag and an ILL 'rappin' for 2.5 weeks' delivery...
betcha mixtape finna go triple tissue paper!

say something worth hearing and maybe the people will listen.
dude can't even chop down a pack of soft-ass marks proper-like. (see also: mega-fail)
ya playin' yaself big shitty.

what's worse...hipsterhop or a half-cocked fool who attempts to jump start his own non-existent career off the fame of said hipsters?

as for right now...meek, chris, and face are on top.
this joker ain't even on the radar.”

54. Anonymous said... on May 9, 2009 at 07:52PM

“hahaha...such a schwag swag and an ILL 'rappin' for 2.5 weeks' delivery...
betcha mixtape finna go triple tissue paper!

say something worth hearing and maybe the people will listen.
ya playin' yaself big shitty.

as for right now...meek, chris, and face are on top.
this joker ain't even on the radar.”

55. Anonymous 53/54 said... on May 11, 2009 at 11:05AM

“This goes out to Anonymous 53/54
Someone is mad....
Check his shit out bitch before you say something....
I love people that hate
But i been listen to his mixtape and it makes more sense than that meeks mills bitch...all he talks about is fake guns and him being a fake.
check the truth out...this kid is real...”

56. Scott Andrews said... on May 12, 2009 at 04:26PM

“I just registered on this site just so that I could comment on this piece. This is the dumbest, most juvenile crap I have read in a long, long time. It actually made me flash back on my junior high school days. Frankly, I don't have a dog in this fight but I have to give it to the "hipsters" for having the good sense not to dignify this piece with their participation. This is all some really sad, lame shit.”

57. Anonymous said... on May 13, 2009 at 08:17AM

“C&D - Why are you so angry? The MHS I went to was obviously not the one Phil went to. It was inaccurate the way it was printed and very misleading. But it doesn't matter because what is more important than that or more important than this story is that Phil is getting his life together.

58. mercy mercy me said... on May 15, 2009 at 09:18AM

“Hey anonymous 57... I think I know who you are. You were antagonistic rat back in Hershey, and you remain one to this day. Pretending to wish Phil well, but you're questioning the journalistic integrity of a piece of his press. And that of course puts a negative spin on the whole thing. I went to Hershey too, and Phil's description of it is not exaggerated or inaccurate in any way. Your attempt to hurt your friend is paper thin, and you should be ashamed of yourself.”

59. Charles Dee said... on May 22, 2009 at 11:36PM

“kid's getting a lot of press. i hope he keeps putting out heat.”

60. Anonymous said... on May 31, 2009 at 12:20PM

“I came across this while surfing the net. The music this guy is make is lame. It sounds like bad 1990s hip hop. I like all kinds of hip hop: intelligent and plain ignorant. If you listen to Common at his best and Gucci Mane at his best, you understand their artistry. THIS GUY is simply a bad rapper. Period. He will not get famous because he is boring. Even I (an internet warrior) would rap better after a week of rapping lessons”

61. Da Truth said... on Aug 30, 2009 at 04:23PM