David Dingwall Goes Balls Out

A middle-aged comedian stuffs his leopard-skin shorts and shoots for the stars.

By Tara Murtha
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 11 | Posted Sep. 15, 2009

An hour into the singing and dancing, it’s almost uncomfortable to watch Dingwall hoof it in that suit in this heat, but he presses on. Then somehow, this next take is even better. Dingwall’s signature dancing, an impressive sort of boneless-puppet jig, has more panache, his voice soars higher, his timing impeccable.

“I do better, to be honest, if I prepare. A lot of people that look like they’re ad-libbing aren’t, but they make it seem that way,” he says. “Certain things you need to prepare for.”

Dingwall sways, moonwalks, practically does the hokey-pokey before swishing into a perfectly executed classic top-hat-and-cane outro: jazz hand hoisted high, fingers splayed wide as a turkey tail, he side-steps out of frame, spot-on smile plastered. He’s breathing hard. It was hilarious. A perfect take. The performance of a lifetime. n

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4

COMMENTS

1. jesselun said... on Sep 16, 2009 at 11:55AM

“tee hee...pole position!
This guy is classic”

2. Cooke said... on Sep 16, 2009 at 02:15PM

“Classic, I fear that is me in the future, I mean rolling off the workout ball, not dancing!
Best of luck to Dingwall.”

3. Anonymous said... on Sep 19, 2009 at 01:12PM

“He's an extraordinary talent, and a consumate survivor. Bless him!”

4. coach fred griffin said... on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:48AM

“ding i talk to coach rushing and he told me about this sight hope everything goes alright thanks coach fred griffin”

5. darrenfinizio said... on Sep 21, 2009 at 03:24PM

“Mr. Dngwall is a cool guy. A good match for Marcs sensibilities. Philly seems to negotiate in both the drab and burlesque, tucking the bitter artists in West Philly and drker parts of Kensington where they shall remain. Dingwall is a good burlesque comedian/singer, a nice nut to throw into the washing machine.”

6. Barbara brown and Jeanie moore said... on Mar 15, 2010 at 04:22PM

“hay its your barbara and jeanie brown!! ahha good luck with all you have going your hillarious love you<3”

7. Walter Pierson said... on Oct 19, 2010 at 08:20PM

“I enjoyed reading the article.Good luck David.”

8. Stan Beeson said... on Aug 7, 2011 at 12:10AM

“Dave, it was good seeing you this summer after so many years. You are still amazing us all. Best of luck. Your friend. Stan”

9. Lanny G. Maddox said... on Feb 20, 2013 at 05:55PM

“Dave,
I'm glad to see you are alive and well. I remember when you dressed like Superman and jumped from the second story window of Tudor Hall at Louisiana College. That rose bush appeared to have been painful. Unfortunately, I remember too much that you did while at LC. You undoubtedly have not changed much.
Take care. Your old schoolmate Lanny.”

10. Bill said... on Jun 7, 2013 at 06:46PM

“Is this the David Dingwall that went to the Logan Elementary School in the 1950's?”

11. Bruce Hatchett said... on Mar 1, 2014 at 04:13AM

“Dave,it was great seeing some of your work online after so many years.you have not lost your ability to make people laugh.I fondly remember some of your skits,jokes,and pranks that you did while in college.My favorites were your skit,"Ronnie Gaboda"and your prank of wearing a dog lease,hopping out of a car trunk,and barking at the Louisiana State Troopers.There were too many to list all here.Best wishes and continued good luck.Your friend from Louisiana College in Pineville,Loouisiana,Bruce Hatchett.”