A Divided District

Residents say Councilwoman Quinones-Sanchez turned her back on them.

By Aaron Kase
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 9 | Posted Apr. 8, 2010

It wasn’t always like this. Quiñones-Sánchez lived in the neighborhood for years and was active with Latino education group Aspira and other community groups. At an ENPC sponsored event at the Al-Asqa Islamic Society during the 2007 elections, Quiñones-Sánchez told the community: “I would guarantee almost 100 percent of the land should go to affordable housing and community owned businesses.”

“I will guarantee to you that I will work not only with this coalition but other members throughout the district to make sure that the city does not become the problem in turning around this land.”

Since then, the relationship deteriorated drastically.

“Maria could be a great ally and we’re hoping she will be,” Lichtash says.” We want her to be our friend and we want to say good things about her. Right now it’s almost as if she’s not taking responsibility for doing what she says she would do.”

The ENCP is dedicated to affordable housing and public green space. Quiñones-Sánchez says she is dedicated to the cause as well.

Together, they could make Eastern North Philly a model for sustainable development— if they’re still talking.

“They threatened me,” Quiñones-Sánchez says. “They said I have 60 days to meet with them or else. Right now I’m waiting to hear what the or else is.  I want to be in elected office for a long time but I don’t want groups that I work with closely to threaten me. I asked them to hold off that meeting. “

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Apr 8, 2010 at 05:14PM

“sanchez doesnt want to help the people becuase her family owns 50 bodegas, helping the hood people is not her goal ,he goal is to spend 20yr in council to get fat a pension,help her bodega family,she needs to be voted out of office,all of city council needs to go,the plan in council is to remove the less fortunatefrom hoods like this so people with money moves back to the city, then they will lower taxes for them,vote them out”

2. Christopher Somers said... on Apr 9, 2010 at 06:11AM

“This area certainly has seen a lot of growth over the last 5 years. The trends stated in the article are correct with Northern Liberties growing so much and demand for Temple housing increasing this section which consists of 19122 and 19133 has benefitted. We sell a lot of real estate in this area as well as own real estate personally. I am proud of being part of the community and helping the transformation to growth and propserity. Some blocks and certain sections have a long way to go, especially in 19133. The community needs all the help it can get. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming quarters with the coalition and politics.”

3. roma258 said... on Apr 9, 2010 at 09:31AM

“This land trust sounds like a terrible idea. Take a geographic location out of the marketplace? Why would you want to resist investment, especially in an area that's 25 percent vacant? Why would you want to prevent middle class residents from moving back into this city? Stuff like this blows my mind.”

4. Anonymous said... on Apr 9, 2010 at 11:18AM

“I own property in 19133 area code, when it comes to help in getting our neighborhood park cleaned up or for block captains, APM, HACE and Hartranft all say we are not in their service area. We feel abandoned, unrepresented even by our council woman - whom I helped campaign for. Now I see that in fact that was a mistake one I will not make again. I agree that all City council members should be removed as well as those in power in the Redevelopment Authority. They are all in cohouts to gentrify Philadelphia and push longtime Latinos and African Americans out. I for one am not going anywhere! You've picked the wrong Latina to be messing with!”

5. Anonymous said... on Apr 9, 2010 at 02:23PM

“WCRP has an amazing track record for developing successful affordable housing communities and offering a number of services to the residents, mostly by taking city contracts. They take so many women and their children off the streets and give them a second chance. You wouldn't be taking the land out of the marketplace, you would be assuring that the people who already live there have a chance to stay there in a new and improved environment. That vacant land would no longer be vacant. Working for a developer, I believe it's important that Fishtown and temple etc, continue to thrive, they bring so much to this city, but not at the expense of all of the existing residents. Much of the reason that that area is so "hipster" is that that population values the diversity that already exists there, and the rents are mildly affordable, but not for long...”

6. Please Stop Kidding Me said... on Apr 10, 2010 at 04:15PM

“"Anonymous # 4 and 5" were obviously written by Nora Lichtash and Co.
She is a carpet bagger trying to bully her way into new neighborhoods because she's lost credbility where she used to be. She's beating up your councilwoman and going to sell you low income housing to destabilize your neighborhood and has her heart set on re-slumming the slums. I don't know who she's really working for but the paper's being fooled and missed the really big news. Dateline: Mayor's Reception Room City Hall: Thursday,April 9, 2010: SANCHEZ GIVES LICHTASH 1.5 MILLION DOLLARS. Look it up. And it was awarded a while ago. She knw that all along. This is a disgusting display of back biting ingratitude. Nora Lichtash is a scheming dirty-figjhter but she's not fooling all of the people all of the time.”

7. Brooke said... on Apr 12, 2010 at 02:15PM

“I am a real estate agent and can vouch that the average price home in that area is *not* $250,000 and wonder why 2007 is used when data from 2008 and 2009 is readily available. To report that without verifying that is also bad journalism.”

8. Anonymous said... on Apr 12, 2010 at 02:44PM

“The article fails to point out that the area west of Germantown Ave. to 10th St. is in Darrell Clarke's district. Whole different ballgame. Why no interviews with Clarke?”

9. Anonymous said... on Apr 12, 2010 at 05:17PM

“While this article focuses on Councilwoman Sanchez, the elected official that has turned his back on the people the most is Angel Cruz. There are reports coming from some of the constituents that his chief of staff has gotten several of their properties deeded in his name when they showed up to his office to get assistance with the deeding process. This election year does provide an opportunity for change, by way of Jonathan Ramos. He will end the corruption and the crime that is pervasive in the district, and will serve the people as opposed to feeling that they should serve him. http://ramosforpa180.com”