PW's First Book-Length Work Collects the Personal Stories of Sexual-Abuse Survivors and Their Loved Ones

"The Survivors Project: Telling the Truth About Life After Sexual Abuse" sheds light on the painful—yet hopeful—recovery process.

Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 17 | Posted Nov. 14, 2012

My mother, who has long since retired, does not talk about her childhood; she seems to have healed somewhat with age. But me, my healing is just getting started.

Jackie Block Goldstein, MSW, LSW
Occupation: Associate director and child forensic interview specialist at Philadelphia Children’s Alliance

People ask me what I do all the time, and when I say that I’m a forensic interviewer, they are generally either morbidly curious (“Like on Law & Order: SVU?”) or totally turned off (“Cool, I like pizza”). Occasionally, I get people who actually ask what it means, and I try to come up with a digestible way to explain that I talk to children who have disclosed sexual abuse or assault after it has been reported to the police department or the Department of Human Services. I take their investigative statements in a neutral, non-traumatizing way that is not suggestive and meets the needs of investigators, so that kids don’t have to be interviewed multiple times by people who may not know how to talk to them in a developmentally appropriate manner. I know, it’s a mouthful. After all of that, I used to expect that people would remark about the intricacies of doing an investigative interview with a child or the complexity of navigating the competing needs of law enforcement and child welfare. But now I’m pretty much resigned to the routine response of, “Talking to kids about sexual abuse? That must be so depressing.”

Most of the time, I just shrug, partially because it’s too complicated to go into (and I’m not sure people really want an in-depth response) and partially because I don’t think that I’ve ever really allowed myself to reflect on the impact that 10 years of forensic interviews with thousands of sexually abused children has had on me. Maybe I’ve done that in part as a coping mechanism—hearing about abuse every day has to take its toll—and maybe it’s also because I don’t like the exposure, the vulnerability that comes with talking about my own experiences. How hypocritical is that? Sitting down with a 6-year-old who I have known for exactly 10 minutes, I fully expect him to share the most personal and traumatic experience of his life in extreme detail, but I’m not even willing to discuss the impact that hearing those stories has had on my life. So in an effort to practice what I preach, here goes.

I think everyone is a pedophile. Most people meet someone and their initial impression has to do with what the person looks like, how firm her handshake is or what kind of a car he drives. But not me. I know this because while out with my mother, who struck up a conversation with the man standing next to us waiting for his latte, she remarked, “He seemed nice.” My response was, “He seemed like a child molester!” When my mother pointed out that my reaction was probably a bit extreme, I completely dismissed it and noted that if 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before they turn 18, probability is on my side. And this was not an isolated incident. In reflecting on it, it appears that my instinct is always to regard someone with suspicion versus giving them the benefit of the doubt—to assume the worst in everyone until proven otherwise. Before you contact me with a list of great therapists in the area, rest assured, my psychiatrist is aware of the problem. While talking about ways to relieve stress, she mentioned getting a babysitter to watch the kids and going out on a Saturday night. “Get a babysitter?” I asked, incredulous. “How could I possibly relax and go out knowing that someone was in my house sexually abusing my children?” She pointed out that in all likelihood, the 16-year-old girl down the street was not going to sexually abuse my kids, but it was no use. I haven’t gone out on a Saturday night since.

I assume that all later-in-life issues are the direct result of a history of child sexual abuse. At the start of every Biggest Loser: Weight Loss Edition, I make an internal bet with myself about how far into the show the disclosure of abuse will be revealed. The same is true for Hoarders, Intervention, Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, and 16 and Pregnant. OK, yes, I watch too much TV, and low-quality TV at that (don’t take it personally, Dr. Drew)—but that’s not the point. Last week on Today, they led into the commercial break with the teaser that Justin Bieber’s mom was going to come on next to talk about her book and all of the obstacles that she faced as a child. I literally said out loud to myself, “sex abuse,” and three minutes later, while the rest of the nation was probably shocked, my suspicions were confirmed as quickly as they had developed. I’m looking for it all the time, and I do believe that for kids who experience abuse and never get any help or support because they don’t have the opportunity to disclose in a safe place, that is often the final outcome. It’s a huge reason why I do what I do every day. That critical moment, where a child weighs the enormous risk of speaking out, is what tips the scale in the direction of health, happiness, safety and success instead of despair, fear, self-harm and failure. In that moment, I have the enormous responsibility of helping that child to see that people do care, that it can be safe to tell, that help is available, and that a positive life trajectory is within their reach. And what greater motivation could there be to go to work every day?

I wake up every morning at 4 a.m. with my heart racing. Scanning my room quickly and listening for the sound of footsteps, I wait a minute to make sure everything is as it should be before going back to bed. It’s gotten better over time; when I first interviewed Maya*, I woke up every hour on the hour with the same routine. Maya was a young girl who was sexually assaulted and abducted from her bedroom one night at 4 a.m. With no signs of forced entry and no offender identified, the entire investigative team, myself included, was desperate to figure out who did this. We all suspected a family member, and in some ways, I think that deep down, there was a part of me that wanted it to be true. If it was her stepfather or her older brother and not a total stranger, I could rationalize that something like that could never happen to me or my loved ones, and then the world would make sense again. But if it was truly a family member, how would Maya ever recover after such a betrayal of trust? As I sat in my office before the interview, I agonized over how I could possibly make this child feel safe enough to tell me what happened. How would I get through the interview at all without completely breaking down? How could I force myself to focus on the mechanics of the interview without allowing myself to truly take in the absolute horror that this child must have felt waking up in the middle of the night with a man standing over her bed before covering her head with a bag, taking her from her house and assaulting her repeatedly in an abandoned lot? I’m not sure how it happened, but somehow we both got through it, and no, I didn’t cry. If you’re curious, I have never cried during an interview (people ask me all the time)—but I have after the fact. I stayed busy for the rest of the work day and was fine—it wasn’t until later that night when I checked the front door of my house to find that my husband had left the keys in the lock that I completely lost it. Crying on the floor of my kitchen, I didn’t know how I would go back to my office. While contemplating the logistics behind quitting my job in favor of opening up a bakery in Vermont (which would have been a complete failure, by the way, since I can’t bake), I realized that as much as I was struggling to process what had happened, none of this was about me—it was about Maya. She was the one who would have to somehow figure out a way to move on—to go back to sleeping, eating, going to school, putting one foot in front of the other, and do all of this when it seemed like every shred of trust that she had in the world had been taken from her. And that put everything into perspective.

So with that, I’m grateful. Doing what I do has made me grateful every day that my kids are safe and my family is healthy and that I have the amazing opportunity to gain strength through osmosis from the incredible kids and families that come to Philadelphia Children’s Alliance. At such tender ages, these children experience horrific, horrific abuse and somehow manage to move on with their lives to do incredible things. Occasionally, I have the privilege of seeing the kids that I have interviewed years later, and in the back of my mind, I expect them to look so broken. Seeing their smiling faces, their growth, the wonderful people that they are becoming reminds me that they are not victims—they are survivors.

To the many children who have shared their stories with me over the years, and to the parents who trusted me with their most valuable possessions—who allowed their children to walk back with me into that room to talk about the things that keep them up at night—and to the countless victims out there who have not yet found their voices: I write this for you. I am eternally grateful for the lessons that you have taught me and for the grace that you show every day by overcoming adversity and fighting relentlessly to get back on the path to the beautiful life that every one of you deserves. You inspire me more than I could ever put into words. I am truly thankful.

The Survivors Project: Telling the Truth About Life After Sexual Abuse ($3.99, ebook) is available now at Amazon and forthcoming in November 2012 at iBooks and other online booksellers.

We are still accepting essays from survivors, their loved ones, and advocates. To submit your story of healing from sexual abuse for possible future publication, email nhoffmann@philadelphiaweekly.com

Join Philadelphia Weekly for a reading from The Survivors Project at 7:30 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 19, at the Free Library of Philadelphia.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

COMMENTS

1. Janice said... on Nov 14, 2012 at 10:33PM

“CookyJar! Have you all heard about CookyJar? He's a very important player in the abuse and debasement of women in Philadelphia. He can be found weekly posting nude photographs of young women on an internet site for men seeking sex (usasexguide.info). The women are impaired by drug addiction. CookyJar pays a large sum of money for taking photos of these young girls in degrading poses.

When and if these girls kick the habit, their futures will be ruined by the online presence of dirty photos which addiction forced them to pose for.

CookyJar must be "outed" by this newspaper. Please Tara Murtha. Go to Kensington Avenue and interview the women victims, and perhaps with police assistance, find CookyJar and write his sordid story and shame him for ruining the future of so many young women. Better yet, see if the police can find grounds for arresting him. You can help rid the streets of this pervert.”

2. Psrpg said... on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:36AM

“Yeah, that's all we need. The governnent arresting someone for posting naked pictures of consenting adults. What is wrong with you?”

3. Janice said... on Nov 15, 2012 at 11:26AM

“You miss the point, Psrpg. These girls are not "consenting" in a legal or moral sense. They wouldn't have sex with you, or a bald fat man, or this pervert CookyJar in normal circumstances. They are victims of family and medical origin. If your young daughter gives in to her uncle's lecherous desires that is not consenting. Neither are the addicts who out of desperation accept CookyJar's large sums of money and accept his orders to bend over and moon his filthy camera. Perverts who take advantage of young girls don't belong on the streets.

Do you get my point? Do you realize these "consenting" girls are being taken advantage of by a dirty old man who is ruining their future? What is wrong with YOU?

Tara Murtha, please get on this story.”

4. Anonymous said... on Nov 15, 2012 at 03:28PM

“Perhaps a better use of this space would be to discuss the impact of this project.”

5. Janice said... on Nov 15, 2012 at 04:24PM

“Anonymous #4, your remarks are welcome. Believe me, the report on this project has impacted ME, and my heart goes out to the victims who have bravely relived a terrible part of their past. Perhaps one piece we as reader-citizens can take away from this is a strengthened resolve to help prevent future abuse. Thank you for tolerating my sharing of one such abusive situation that has existed for years, perhaps without the awareness of the authors or of influential writers on women's issues such as Tara Murtha.”

6. Anonymous said... on Nov 16, 2012 at 11:12AM

“I've heard about this CookyJar accosting women on Kensington Avenue. He is the kind of person who perpetuates the filth and harm done to people just like those described in this excellent collection of stories. Well done, PW.”

7. Ryan said... on Nov 17, 2012 at 08:47PM

“You should change the name of this paper to "Crowdsourced Sob Story Weekly".

It's like reading someone's shitty LiveJournal every week.”

8. RyanIsMacho said... on Nov 18, 2012 at 12:10PM

“Ryan,
May God help you if you or anyone you love ever experiences something as awful as sexual assault. A very mature response to something that affects 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men.”

9. Anonymous said... on Nov 19, 2012 at 03:11PM

“Ryan is CookyJar! I guess he's taking a break from abusing destitute girls. ROFLMAO.”

10. Anonymous said... on Nov 21, 2012 at 12:08PM

“Ari,
Thank you for being so brave to share this. Please know that doing so is a real gift to others - both those who have suffered abuse and those who want to feel real compassion for those who have and understand.
Wishing you tranquility, love and hope.”

11. Anonymous said... on Dec 24, 2012 at 07:16AM

“As a survivor of severe childhood sexual, emotional and physical abuse, I assure you; that none of the outside world, has any idea of what they are talking about. Cause you all have not walked in our shoes. You all have not been traumatized over, and over and over again!So in a world, where people are not kind any more,have no compassion any more, can't be trusted any more; why would we the survivors tell our stories?This is a good project I think! It took me 45 years, to finally face the music and discuss with my Dr. It also helped me to write my journal, thanks for my journaling, otherwise , this Christmas would have been another suicidel statistic. I have hope now, caue I have many loving, supporting and kind people around me!So rather than bad mouthing us, learn to be kind and understanding and loving. God bless all the survivors of sexual childhood abuse who now are speaking out!”

12. Wilma said... on Jan 21, 2013 at 06:59PM

“I understand the male sex drive, I really do. It's a craving just like some people can't resist chocolate. I sold my body for 5-6 years on Kensington Avenue in Philadelphia and saw it firsthand. And I had photos taken of me naked by the "cookiejar" person mentioned above. He was deceitful about it and I complained after the fact. Never an apology. I was an object of his craving and no more. I understand the craving. That's physical. I resent the deception. That's learned behavior and thank you Janice for bringing it up. I wish you success.”

13. Anonymous said... on Jan 21, 2013 at 09:19PM

“Wilma, it sounds like you have escaped the Avenue? I hope so. I know who this cookiejar is and now have his latest photo "exhibit" lady to agree to work with us in IDing his vehicle. We hope to "expose" him soon. Hang tight, PW, we'll be contacting you (hopefully) soon!”

14. Janice said... on Feb 7, 2013 at 12:30PM

“Thanks to the cooperation of the local Commandante's office, we have narrowed the search down to three names. It should be fairly easy to make a match with the granddaughter from records at Penn. Hold tight, everybody, D-day is ever closer!”

15. Alan Horn said... on Feb 24, 2013 at 04:01PM

“Please help Stop the Silence. Take a minute right now to do a small thing. Do it now becasue it is the right thing and it will help alot.
Text GIVE 3583 to 80088 to donate $10 to Stop the Silence: Stop Child Sexual Abuse, Inc. This is a one time donation billed to your cell phone. Message and data rates may apply. Only works for US mobile phones.

16. Keith Smith said... on May 7, 2013 at 11:18PM

“Read "5 Steps You Can Take to Keep Kid Safe" at www.MenInMyTown.wordpress by Keith Smith, Stranger Abduction Sexual Assault Survivor”

17. pat s said... on Sep 16, 2013 at 06:51PM

“I wholeheartedly pray there really is a god, not so much as for my salvation, but for other peoples punishment. If god does exist (i do believe in my Lord) then punishment will be handed down for scum like cookyjar and ALL molesters. When your judgement day comes i would not want to be in your shoes. God bless each and everyone who is or was a victim of abuse, you did NOTHING WRONG, keep your chin up. I was very fortunate, i can only try to imagine the hell you all went through. Coming out, confronting and speaking up about it i can only assume will probably be very therapeutic for you. Stay strong and you will start the healing process for nobody deserves the hell you have endured. God bless you all. Patrick”

PW to Read From Its First Book, "The Survivors Project," at the Free Library
By Nina Hoffmann

"The Survivors Project" is a compendium of more than 50 personal essays about the challenges associated with healing from sexual abuse.

By Nina Hoffman

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Nina Hoffmann, Senior Editor, Philadelphia Weekly nhoffmann@philadelphiaweekly.com or 215.599.7678 Philadelphia Weekly Collects Personal Stories From Sexual-Abuse Survivors for Upcoming Book Philadelphia, PA (September 6, 2012) —Philadelphia Weekly is partnering with sexual-abuse survivors, their loved ones and counselors for an upcoming publishing project that will raise awareness about the effects of abuse and the challenges associated with healing. Sexual abuse comes in many forms, and can happen in the situations you'd least expect. And too often, survivors are paralyzed by a culture that silences, shames and blames them. Philadelphia Weekly is dedicated to combat this phenomenon through first-person storytelling, bringing to light the one thing that’s missing from the national conversation: the reality of what it’s like to heal from the devastating effects of abuse. PW has invited those whose lives have been impacted by sexual abuse to share their own stories, in their own words. And not just survivors themselves, but also their spouses, family members, friends and advocates—because healing from abuse does not occur in a vacuum. It requires the support of loved ones. Since announcing the project in June, Philadelphia Weekly has collected dozens of first-person essays from survivors, their loved ones and both local and non-local therapists. In some...

PW Seeks First-Person Essays From Sexual-Abuse Survivors and Their Loved Ones
By Nina Hoffmann

We need to hear from you—the survivor, the loved one, the advocate. We need you to tell your story, in your own words. To do so would help bring to light the one thing that’s missing from the national conversation: the reality of what it’s like to heal from the devastating effects of sexual abuse.

RELATED: PW Announces Deadline for Upcoming Sexual-Abuse Awareness Project Surviving Child Sexual Abuse in the Wake of the Penn State Tragedy The Rape Issue: PW Attacks the Myths & Lies About Sexual Assault Statute of Limitation Reform Takes a Ride on the Legislative Merry-Go-Round

A Survivor of Sex Abuse Tells His Story
By Christian D’Angelo

At 28, I’m learning to accept that my stepfather abused me—sexually, physically and emotionally. I may never remember everything that happened to me. But I know I did nothing to deserve it.