PW's First Book-Length Work Collects the Personal Stories of Sexual-Abuse Survivors and Their Loved Ones

"The Survivors Project: Telling the Truth About Life After Sexual Abuse" sheds light on the painful—yet hopeful—recovery process.

Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 17 | Posted Nov. 14, 2012

Some may not be able to comprehend my parents’ actions. What I cannot comprehend is how Mom found the forgiveness to go to this man who had so harmed her child and minister to him. He caused me so much pain. But Mom, who thinks of others’ needs by nature, was able to go to Tom, listen to his story and try to help him to heal at the same time she was trying to help me heal. And just so you know, he felt terrible about what he did to Shelly and me. He knew it was wrong, yet he continued to do it.

I don’t know if Mom was able to help Tom, but I do know that my parents love me very much, and I am the person I am because they are so kind-hearted that they could want to heal this man who made a victim of me, and was a victim himself.

Note: So you are aware, I did not know before now that my father was also abused (see below). My mother has thanked me for asking them to write about my abuse, as this is only the second time that he has ever discussed it, and the first time was the night of my abuse. I probably would never have known if it was not for PW’s request for stories. Obvious to say that she feels that sharing it has helped with some of his healing. Writing these pieces has opened up a dialogue between my parents and I that never would have occurred otherwise. While it is quite emotional, I feel strongly that it has been very helpful to understanding each other and fostering personal healing.

Michael H. D.
Gender: Male
Age: 64
Relationship to survivor: Father/self

This is about instances of sexual abuse at two different times and affecting two different lives. The first one is about what happened to me, but I now consider it of little consequence. The second concerns my daughter, and has caused me far greater anguish.

I was raised in a South Jersey suburb near Philadelphia. Our family might be seen as lower-middle class, as we had our share of financial struggles. My parents both worked, and believed that after high school you find a good company to work for, and live frugally while you save money for your own family.

I think I’ve driven many of the memories out of my mind, so I don’t remember some of the details that well, but I believe it was the summer of my freshman year. During that summer, I worked at a theater as part of the stage crew. What I do remember is that when it was over, I blamed my own naiveté for allowing myself to be placed in a room where one of the bit actors stayed during the dates the play ran.

It started with a conversation after one of the final shows between the actor and I. We talked about having a beer as we walked around town. Looking back, it’s hard to believe how gullible I must have been, but I ended up walking to the boarding house to meet him. In his room, we talked a little and he offered a small glass of gin and grapefruit juice (explaining he had forgotten the beer). He asked me what I thought of some pictures he had (men wrestling) and I made some comments but didn’t spend much time looking at them. We talked about how tall I might grow and he said he could tell by feeling my muscle tone. He was probably in his late 30s or 40s, so his age made him more credible to me.

I remember him massaging my legs and later being on top of me. Before he had finished, I managed to gather the courage, clench my fists and say “No.” At first, he told me it would be OK, but I was adamant and he got off me. As I pulled my clothes back on, he reminded me that when I had first arrived, I had promised not to tell anyone about being there. I thought the promise was about having a drink.

I walked home and changed and washed my clothes. I never told anyone, maybe because I had made the promise but more likely because I was too embarrassed. As time has moved on, I have forced myself not to think about it. There has never been a need of forgiveness or resolution because I mostly blamed myself. Eventually, I did tell my wife about the incident, but only after she and I found out that our 7-year-old daughter was sexually violated by the son of a neighboring family.

I didn’t want to believe it, but knew it couldn’t be avoided. I went down to his family’s house and told his parents I needed to talk with him. I had thought about taking a bat with me, but if I had, perhaps it would not have ended well for anyone. He denied everything, which probably angered me even more. I wanted to believe that nothing happened, but I knew inside that he had lied. My wife and I contacted the police and the county prosecutor’s office and issued a complaint. He was arrested and sent away as an offender. I never knew how to talk to my daughter about it, but thankfully, my wife did.

Eventually, the boy wrote a letter or two expressing how sorry he was. Still, I have never forgiven him, nor do I care to. I know in my mind that I couldn’t possibly be with my daughter every moment to protect her from things such as this, but part of me still wants to punish him for what he did.

I have always had the feeling that my daughter never wanted to talk to me about it, and so I have never broached the topic. These are things that my wife is much better equipped to deal with. I know that I have rambled a bit, and yet writing down what I remember may have helped resolve some of my feelings. The most curious thing is that it was my daughter who sent us the announcement for this project, and now I find myself writing this only because of her.

Nicolas McMahon
Gender: Male
Age: 29
Age abuse occurred: 4-6; 18

Oral, throat and sinus cancer, freak accidents, amputations and burn injuries are the worst diseases and circumstances that can disfigure the face and body. Missing jaws, trach tubes and deep scars are often irreversible. Scars can occasionally act like text, giving the viewer the ability to read what has injured a person in their lifetime. The face is a mirror into a person’s soul. This mirror can be changed in an instant.

Instead of fearing the possibility of a personal injury permanently changing our appearance, what if it were possible to look as we actually felt—our secrets and mental illnesses available for everyone to see? What if our depression and personal issues became that permanent reality, like an irreversible scar that cannot be removed?

Currently, I carry two life sentences. I was molested as a child by the husband of a babysitter over a period of two years. Later in life, at the age of 18, I was raped two months after arriving in Philadelphia for college. Simple sounds, touches and smells can bring me back in an instant. My outward appearance developed into how I felt. My life in Philadelphia continued on a strange autopilot while I battled addictions and eating disorders, which led to my eventual weight of nearly 400 pounds.

It was painful to walk as my legs constantly rubbed together, which created a weekly line of new boils and chafing. A normal-sized bottle of stain remover lasted me a mere two weeks to combat the blood and pus stains from my pants at the laundry. My checklists for leaving the house were my keys, cigarettes, shoe laces and menstrual pads. The keys and cigarettes were for obvious reasons. The shoe laces for keeping my pants up by making a knot at the belt loops when the button or buckle would inevitably break from simple tasks such as bending down to tie my shoes. Finally, the menstrual pads for being more absorbent than Band-Aids and preventing the blood stains from showing on the inside of my pants from my legs rubbing together. On one occasion, while wearing shorts, a bloody pad fell out and landed next to my shoe to the horror and curiosity of the passengers on a crowded bus.

In 2009, I received my M.F.A. from Penn’s School of Design under a beautiful canopy. Instead of being excited for my future, I was more worried about the chair breaking underneath me. Despite attending Penn for two years, I knew almost nothing about campus due to the difficulty of my walking anywhere, let alone the uphill slope of Locust Walk. I had a highly detailed knowledge of the entire SEPTA system to avoid walking a mere seven blocks.

Approaching 30, and after losing nearly 200 pounds over three years, I am lucky. My years of extreme obesity, pills and cigarettes never showed on my face. I got a second chance to create some kind of normal.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Janice said... on Nov 14, 2012 at 10:33PM

“CookyJar! Have you all heard about CookyJar? He's a very important player in the abuse and debasement of women in Philadelphia. He can be found weekly posting nude photographs of young women on an internet site for men seeking sex (usasexguide.info). The women are impaired by drug addiction. CookyJar pays a large sum of money for taking photos of these young girls in degrading poses.

When and if these girls kick the habit, their futures will be ruined by the online presence of dirty photos which addiction forced them to pose for.

CookyJar must be "outed" by this newspaper. Please Tara Murtha. Go to Kensington Avenue and interview the women victims, and perhaps with police assistance, find CookyJar and write his sordid story and shame him for ruining the future of so many young women. Better yet, see if the police can find grounds for arresting him. You can help rid the streets of this pervert.”

2. Psrpg said... on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:36AM

“Yeah, that's all we need. The governnent arresting someone for posting naked pictures of consenting adults. What is wrong with you?”

3. Janice said... on Nov 15, 2012 at 11:26AM

“You miss the point, Psrpg. These girls are not "consenting" in a legal or moral sense. They wouldn't have sex with you, or a bald fat man, or this pervert CookyJar in normal circumstances. They are victims of family and medical origin. If your young daughter gives in to her uncle's lecherous desires that is not consenting. Neither are the addicts who out of desperation accept CookyJar's large sums of money and accept his orders to bend over and moon his filthy camera. Perverts who take advantage of young girls don't belong on the streets.

Do you get my point? Do you realize these "consenting" girls are being taken advantage of by a dirty old man who is ruining their future? What is wrong with YOU?

Tara Murtha, please get on this story.”

4. Anonymous said... on Nov 15, 2012 at 03:28PM

“Perhaps a better use of this space would be to discuss the impact of this project.”

5. Janice said... on Nov 15, 2012 at 04:24PM

“Anonymous #4, your remarks are welcome. Believe me, the report on this project has impacted ME, and my heart goes out to the victims who have bravely relived a terrible part of their past. Perhaps one piece we as reader-citizens can take away from this is a strengthened resolve to help prevent future abuse. Thank you for tolerating my sharing of one such abusive situation that has existed for years, perhaps without the awareness of the authors or of influential writers on women's issues such as Tara Murtha.”

6. Anonymous said... on Nov 16, 2012 at 11:12AM

“I've heard about this CookyJar accosting women on Kensington Avenue. He is the kind of person who perpetuates the filth and harm done to people just like those described in this excellent collection of stories. Well done, PW.”

7. Ryan said... on Nov 17, 2012 at 08:47PM

“You should change the name of this paper to "Crowdsourced Sob Story Weekly".

It's like reading someone's shitty LiveJournal every week.”

8. RyanIsMacho said... on Nov 18, 2012 at 12:10PM

“Ryan,
May God help you if you or anyone you love ever experiences something as awful as sexual assault. A very mature response to something that affects 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men.”

9. Anonymous said... on Nov 19, 2012 at 03:11PM

“Ryan is CookyJar! I guess he's taking a break from abusing destitute girls. ROFLMAO.”

10. Anonymous said... on Nov 21, 2012 at 12:08PM

“Ari,
Thank you for being so brave to share this. Please know that doing so is a real gift to others - both those who have suffered abuse and those who want to feel real compassion for those who have and understand.
Wishing you tranquility, love and hope.”

11. Anonymous said... on Dec 24, 2012 at 07:16AM

“As a survivor of severe childhood sexual, emotional and physical abuse, I assure you; that none of the outside world, has any idea of what they are talking about. Cause you all have not walked in our shoes. You all have not been traumatized over, and over and over again!So in a world, where people are not kind any more,have no compassion any more, can't be trusted any more; why would we the survivors tell our stories?This is a good project I think! It took me 45 years, to finally face the music and discuss with my Dr. It also helped me to write my journal, thanks for my journaling, otherwise , this Christmas would have been another suicidel statistic. I have hope now, caue I have many loving, supporting and kind people around me!So rather than bad mouthing us, learn to be kind and understanding and loving. God bless all the survivors of sexual childhood abuse who now are speaking out!”

12. Wilma said... on Jan 21, 2013 at 06:59PM

“I understand the male sex drive, I really do. It's a craving just like some people can't resist chocolate. I sold my body for 5-6 years on Kensington Avenue in Philadelphia and saw it firsthand. And I had photos taken of me naked by the "cookiejar" person mentioned above. He was deceitful about it and I complained after the fact. Never an apology. I was an object of his craving and no more. I understand the craving. That's physical. I resent the deception. That's learned behavior and thank you Janice for bringing it up. I wish you success.”

13. Anonymous said... on Jan 21, 2013 at 09:19PM

“Wilma, it sounds like you have escaped the Avenue? I hope so. I know who this cookiejar is and now have his latest photo "exhibit" lady to agree to work with us in IDing his vehicle. We hope to "expose" him soon. Hang tight, PW, we'll be contacting you (hopefully) soon!”

14. Janice said... on Feb 7, 2013 at 12:30PM

“Thanks to the cooperation of the local Commandante's office, we have narrowed the search down to three names. It should be fairly easy to make a match with the granddaughter from records at Penn. Hold tight, everybody, D-day is ever closer!”

15. Alan Horn said... on Feb 24, 2013 at 04:01PM

“Please help Stop the Silence. Take a minute right now to do a small thing. Do it now becasue it is the right thing and it will help alot.
Text GIVE 3583 to 80088 to donate $10 to Stop the Silence: Stop Child Sexual Abuse, Inc. This is a one time donation billed to your cell phone. Message and data rates may apply. Only works for US mobile phones.

16. Keith Smith said... on May 7, 2013 at 11:18PM

“Read "5 Steps You Can Take to Keep Kid Safe" at www.MenInMyTown.wordpress by Keith Smith, Stranger Abduction Sexual Assault Survivor”

17. pat s said... on Sep 16, 2013 at 06:51PM

“I wholeheartedly pray there really is a god, not so much as for my salvation, but for other peoples punishment. If god does exist (i do believe in my Lord) then punishment will be handed down for scum like cookyjar and ALL molesters. When your judgement day comes i would not want to be in your shoes. God bless each and everyone who is or was a victim of abuse, you did NOTHING WRONG, keep your chin up. I was very fortunate, i can only try to imagine the hell you all went through. Coming out, confronting and speaking up about it i can only assume will probably be very therapeutic for you. Stay strong and you will start the healing process for nobody deserves the hell you have endured. God bless you all. Patrick”

PW to Read From Its First Book, "The Survivors Project," at the Free Library
By Nina Hoffmann

"The Survivors Project" is a compendium of more than 50 personal essays about the challenges associated with healing from sexual abuse.

By Nina Hoffman

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Nina Hoffmann, Senior Editor, Philadelphia Weekly nhoffmann@philadelphiaweekly.com or 215.599.7678 Philadelphia Weekly Collects Personal Stories From Sexual-Abuse Survivors for Upcoming Book Philadelphia, PA (September 6, 2012) —Philadelphia Weekly is partnering with sexual-abuse survivors, their loved ones and counselors for an upcoming publishing project that will raise awareness about the effects of abuse and the challenges associated with healing. Sexual abuse comes in many forms, and can happen in the situations you'd least expect. And too often, survivors are paralyzed by a culture that silences, shames and blames them. Philadelphia Weekly is dedicated to combat this phenomenon through first-person storytelling, bringing to light the one thing that’s missing from the national conversation: the reality of what it’s like to heal from the devastating effects of abuse. PW has invited those whose lives have been impacted by sexual abuse to share their own stories, in their own words. And not just survivors themselves, but also their spouses, family members, friends and advocates—because healing from abuse does not occur in a vacuum. It requires the support of loved ones. Since announcing the project in June, Philadelphia Weekly has collected dozens of first-person essays from survivors, their loved ones and both local and non-local therapists. In some...

PW Seeks First-Person Essays From Sexual-Abuse Survivors and Their Loved Ones
By Nina Hoffmann

We need to hear from you—the survivor, the loved one, the advocate. We need you to tell your story, in your own words. To do so would help bring to light the one thing that’s missing from the national conversation: the reality of what it’s like to heal from the devastating effects of sexual abuse.

RELATED: PW Announces Deadline for Upcoming Sexual-Abuse Awareness Project Surviving Child Sexual Abuse in the Wake of the Penn State Tragedy The Rape Issue: PW Attacks the Myths & Lies About Sexual Assault Statute of Limitation Reform Takes a Ride on the Legislative Merry-Go-Round

A Survivor of Sex Abuse Tells His Story
By Christian D’Angelo

At 28, I’m learning to accept that my stepfather abused me—sexually, physically and emotionally. I may never remember everything that happened to me. But I know I did nothing to deserve it.