Week's Worst: Best Coast

By Elliott Sharp
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 40 | Posted Jan. 26, 2011

Listening to Best Coast is risky because the music will turn your brain to shit and then your shit-brains will clog your ears. While compared to 1960s girl-groups by indie and mainstream critics alike, Best Coast lacks every appealing aspect of those bands: sophisticated harmonies, innovative production, clever lyrics, attitude, soul. More toxic than hearing front-woman Bethany Cosentino rhyme “crazy,” “lazy,” and “hazy” over and over again, though, is how often she says “like” in interviews. She, like, makes Sarah Palin, like, seem like a fucking, like, Rhodes Scholar. When not busy penning songs fit for a 7-year-old, she Tweets about ripping bong hits and how super-cute her cat is: Snacks, which also haz Twitter profile. Before imagining Beth and Snacks sporting matching My Little Pony pajamas, taking tubers, and tweeting about their adorable boyfriends (OMFG!), diaper your brain because it’ll soon be reduced to liquid shit.

Tues., Feb. 1, 7:30pm. $17. With Wavves + No Joy. Starlight Ballroom, 460 N. Ninth St. 267.765.5210. r5productions.com

COMMENTS

1. THANKYOU said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 12:08PM

“THANK. YOU. looked for a second like this TRASH would be come some hip fucking fad. its just undeniably bad music”

2. hipster hype is just that. said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 12:17PM

“FINALLY! SOMEONE SAID IT!

But wait, I keep getting this band confused with Tennis, Reading Rainbow, Vivian Girls, Dum Dum Girls, Party Photographers, and Wavves. Oh wait, that's right, THEY ALL FUCKING SOUND THE SAME. Can they just go back to releasing tapes and being hipsters that play in basements?”

3. Anonymous said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 05:44PM

“you're fucking retarded elliot dull”

4. JPKD said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 05:45PM

“And that's why I can't go for that. Lighten up America. If you don't want Best Coast we'll happily take them here in Britain.”

5. Stevie said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 05:46PM

“I love Best Coast. Haters.”

6. Emanuel said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 05:47PM

“LETS ALL MAKE FUN OF "HIPSTERS" FOR LIKING DIFFERENT MUSIC! WE ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN HIPSTERS BECAUSE HIPSTERS THINK THEY ARE BETTER THAN EVERYONE!”

7. Anonymous said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 05:53PM

“I bet they still sell the place out. And "Week's Worst"?? Way to sugar-coat your own biases.”

8. Chris B. Lettis said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 05:53PM

“I think Best Coast is pretty good. It's good tyme party music.”

9. Chase said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 05:54PM

“wow. that is pure unchecked hatred!”

10. Justin said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 05:58PM

“Wow, I'm wondering if perhaps you hit on this girl and she shot you down hard. What's with the vitriol here? You'll defend misogynistic shit like Insane Clown Posse but you'll bag on Best Coast? Not enough arcane vapid scale masturbation like that jazz shit you pimp on your twitter? I understand taste is subjective but we're really going to compare someone you obviously don't know to Sarah Palin? You are also aware that Bethany was once a member of Pocahaunted, unless in typical fashion, you haven't done your research. I'd have a lot more respect for this opinion if you would do the following:

1. Go to the show on behalf of the Weekly
2. Have a discussion with her IN PERSON and then apologize for being a little overboard.

P.S. You're a dick.”

11. Anonymous said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 06:02PM

“This review is completely infantile. Elliot, you're the Sarah Palin of music journalism.”

12. Anonymous said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 06:07PM

“Yeah. I really would like you to be front row so No Joy can blow your ears out straight away. That way you wouldn't be able to listen to music anymore. Even better, you wouldn't be able to write about it.

P.S. - Kudos, Justin. Pocahaunted were lovely.”

13. Meghan said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 06:09PM

“Any writer who uses the word shit "over and over again" makes Sarah Palin seem like a Rhodes Scholar. No one could think this is journalism.”

14. Anonymous said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 06:23PM

“Behold a man making a total arse of himself.”

15. Anonymous said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 06:29PM

“I'm going to comment on this using the same level of intelligence as you did in your "article" - you're a fuckin douchebag, not for your opinion, but because of the way you talked about bethany. That's rude. Your article is shit. The music you pump on twitter is shit. You're probably more like the bristol palin of music journalism (if you could call this article journalism) because unlike sarah, you're not even remotely entertaining. Her shows sell out. Go fuck yourself”

16. Anonymous said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 06:36PM

“Best Coast's music could only come from someone with bowel-brains, so I agree with all the "shit" references here. Elliot don't listen to what all these defenders have to say - to quote the prosaic BC herself "that's not your deal that's not my deal that's not your deal that's not my deal (ad infinitum)"”

17. Phil said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 06:53PM

“Who the hell cares what this halfwit Elliott Sharp thinks. This show will be great, just like their last show in Philly. I think Sarah Palin's onto something for not reading magazines or newspapers if the articles in them are anything like this one.

Best Coast for President
Sarah Palin for VP”

18. FuckFace11 said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 08:03PM

“This is somewhat true, (especially the part about her stupid lyrics and her pointless twitter-ing) but I can't respect anything you say because you defend shitty bands like Insane Clown Posse. And actually, Best Coast has pretty decent harmonies, especially in her older, 7-inch songs.

Also, where is your "Week's Best" post? Why does everything always have to be so negative? Bands work hard at putting out music and it's stupid to only focus on the bands that you think were the "worst" of the week.”

19. Elliott Sharp said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 08:14PM

“@Justin: Yes, I do know that Bethany was a member of Pocahaunted. I own many of their releases. So much, in fact, that 2008's Island Diamonds found its way into my top ten list that year. I was never able to see them live when Bethany was in the group. I tried once in Providence, but they were many hours late to the venue, so I had to leave. Maybe they'll reunite one day...perhaps under the name Sitting Bullshit.”

20. purnter said... on Jan 26, 2011 at 09:51PM

“Hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah hahahahahahah!!!!!!hahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hahahahahah!!!!!!”

21. how2dougie said... on Jan 27, 2011 at 08:12AM

“Best Coast is pretty unoriginal. I feel like they are slightly above average musicians taking the easy road and making simple pop. Nothing wrong with simple pop, but best coast doesn't really make it all that interesting or unique.”

22. gottago said... on Jan 27, 2011 at 06:22PM

“A person's twitter account or how they present themselves in interviews has nothing to do with how their music should be judged. I can see why people don't like the lyrics, but I personally really enjoy Best Coast and "Crazy for You." Love and pining over someone are pretty primal feelings so why shouldn't the lyrics be simple and straight to the point? And the songs are so catchy and her voice is great! I definitely think there was thought behind making the lyrics so simple because if you listen to her older stuff her lyrics were way different. They remind me of when I was in high school if I was thinking out loud. Actually, do we ever really stop thinking that way?”

23. Anonymous said... on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:51PM

“this is really sad journalism. im not a big fan of best coast, but it really makes me angry reading this unfocused....garbage rant. if you hate musicians this much, think about a career change pal. Seriously”

24. Anonymous said... on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:52PM

“i respect everyones opinion, but all this hatred is really indicative of what a dark person this guy is. her lyrics are supposed be fun and light, not something to dwell on. fun, breezy, surf pop. you sir, are either oblivious to this music scene and the message it wishes to convey, or are a very negative person with perhaps a few "issues". ill be kind and go with the former : )
anyhow, best coast=fun. nothing more,nothing less”

25. Cecilia D said... on Jan 28, 2011 at 12:08AM

“Your stinky opinion is, like, 6 months too late Elliott. OMFG. How long did it take you to formulate that pathetic little paragraph?
I think your brain was already made of shit before listening to Best Coast.

Maybe you should get yourself a cat and, like, STFU.”

26. Cecilia D said... on Jan 28, 2011 at 12:10AM

I think your brain was already made of shit before listening to Best Coast.

Maybe you should get yourself a cat and, like, STFU.”

27. Anonymous said... on Jan 28, 2011 at 09:29AM

“Haha the puny little liberal whiner referencing Sarah Palin in a music review? Trying too hard, jackoff. Oh well not everyone can be genius-like music "journalists" for a free toilet paper weekly. Your overwhelming need to align yourself with politics in an entertainment review is so pathetic.

(Never even heard the band's music, but the tool who wrote this makes my stomach turn)”

28. Anonymous said... on Jan 28, 2011 at 01:48PM

“The singles before the LP were good. The LP was completely phoned in.”

29. Steve said... on Jan 28, 2011 at 06:12PM

“Kinda funny just how much people care about some shitty fad band no one will even remember 5 years from now.”

30. matt said... on Jan 29, 2011 at 06:44PM

“Courtney Love called and wants her music back.”

31. Anonymous said... on Feb 1, 2011 at 01:43PM

“The idiots on Philly Yelp are all over this show.
Enough said.”

32. Anonymous said... on Feb 2, 2011 at 01:26AM

“As our groovy guru Boyd Rice so poignantly once put it, "The bad news is that love has turned the world into a sewer. The good news is, people have learned to love the smell of shit."”

33. Anonymous said... on Feb 2, 2011 at 01:28AM

“"If you're starving and a nice man offers you a spoonful of shit - you'll probably eat it. That's what's happening in pop culture these days: spoonsful of shit being offered to culturally starved masses." -Franklin X. Succor”

34. Anonymous said... on Mar 15, 2011 at 11:55AM

“At first, Best Coast appeared a breath of fresh air with some real potential and a couple excellent debut tracks. After meeting bethany at a show she turned out to be a total bitch. Their newer songs are universally uninspired.”

35. mike said... on Jun 13, 2011 at 07:36PM

“I am at a Decemberists concert and Best Coast just played a 50min opening set. I am ready to choke myself with the curly fries I waited for just to waste time during their set.
Say what you want about their recorded material but this band is one of the absolute worst live bands I have ever heard.

36. Dave said... on Sep 29, 2011 at 01:49PM

“Best coast is by no means a great band. But they're alot better then this piece of shit that's trying to be passed as jornalism. You make yourself look worse then best coast. Your an idiot.”

37. Anonymous said... on Mar 9, 2012 at 03:00PM

“Jeez. But how do you Reeeeally feel about Best Coast?”

38. RMC said... on Mar 9, 2012 at 04:44PM

“I love Elliott Sharp.

39. Anonymous said... on Sep 6, 2012 at 01:59AM

“I'm 100% on board with this assessment. Best Coast is the absolute WORST. I the Bethany Whatever-The-Fuck. Her voice is terrible. Her lyrics SUCK. Her melodies are bullshit. And she's FUCKING UGLY. It's perfect that she's paired with that asswipe from Wavves. He's also a fucking idiot who makes bogus music. I'm from San Diego and come across these two before and they're just terrible. One of the guys who's responsible for foisting them upon the world, a guy named Mario who runs Art Fag records, is equally stupid. Elitism built upon non-art. Fuck all these bands. And fuck Dum DUm Idiotic Retarded Girls too.”

40. Pete said... on Nov 3, 2012 at 04:28PM

“"Best Coast". You named your band after the hairbrained xenocentric notion that some fucking stretch of coast you live on is somehow better than all the other ones, and write song after bloody, warbling fucking song about this, without ever giving one reason that doesn't also apply to everyone else who lives near a goddamn beach. One-dimensional purposeless shitheads convinced of their own greatness like this are why I got the fuck out of California. Now it's following me on the airwaves!!! FUCK.”