Music Issue 2012: Philly Tastemakers Reveal Their Favorite Music

By PW Staff
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 6 | Posted Aug. 15, 2012

DOC GIBBS, Music Educator/Master Percussionist

First record purchased: The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard.

Last record purchased: Oyelola Ajibola, Obatala.

Favorite Philly act: Spoken Hand.

Favorite Philly venue: The Painted Bride Art Center.

Now in heavy rotation: Yoruba Andabo.

PHIL SUMPTER, Director of Marketing, Painted Bride Art Center/Event Curator/DJ, CityWide Friday Happy Hour at Bob & Barbara’s Lounge

First record purchased: Shannon, Let the Music Play; Herbie Hancock, “Rockit;” Newcleus, “Jam on It” and Genesis, Genesis —a one-stop shop of about $12.

Last record purchased: Alice Russell, “Got the Hunger? (Ticklah Remix).”

Favorite Philly act: The Roots, since they were The Square Roots.

Favorite Philly venue: Painted Bride Art Center and Bob & Barbara’s Lounge.

Now in heavy rotation: William Devaughn, Be Thankful for What You Got; Johnny “Guitar” Watson, “Superman Lover;” The Clash, “Straight to Hell;” M.I.A., “Paper Planes;” Bone Thugs N Harmony, “First of tha Month (K&D Sessions);” Miike Snow, “Animal (Mark Ronson Extended Dub Remix)” and Easy Star All-Stars, “Us and Them (Featuring Frankie Paul).”

YUSUF MUHAMMAD, Owner, Veteran Freshman

First record purchased: Mos Def, Black on Both Sides. That album changed my entire life. I still listen to it to this day. I had to beg my mom to get it. I made a wager with her, like I’ll wash the dishes for three months, I’ll clean my room for four months—all because it had cursing on it, and I wasn’t allowed to listen to music with cursing in it.

Last record purchased: Nas, Life is Good.

Favorite Philly act: Right now, my favorite show to see would be Dosage. His show is just memorable.

Favorite Philly venue: TLA or The Blockley.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Aug 15, 2012 at 12:27PM

“wow. what a truly diverse and varied group of "tastemakers". one more reason why PW is a joke of a weekly rag.”

2. Anonymous said... on Aug 15, 2012 at 01:11PM

“They should have asked for their Favorite Philly Act that's not The Roots.”

3. Anonymous said... on Aug 16, 2012 at 01:53AM

“troll much?”

4. Anonymous said... on Aug 16, 2012 at 02:48PM

“In Philly, we play both types of music. Hip hop AND indie rock! No, but seriously, you guys couldn't find a few more MCs and DJs to contribute?”

5. Anonymous said... on Aug 23, 2012 at 08:06PM

“Stop hating. There isn't even an indie rock station on main stream radio in Philly. Philadelphia is known for Soul music and Hip-Hop. And more music industry DJs have come out of Philly than any other city in the world. Whether it's Josh Wink, Diplo or Jazzy Jeff, we have dominated DJ culture for the last 30 years.”

6. Anonymous said... on Aug 27, 2012 at 05:40PM

“I call it as I see it, and I see a music scene far more diverse in this city than was given credit by these so-called "taste makers". Maybe if there was someone over 35 contributing to PW, we'd hear about it. Oh, and if you're actually under the impression that there isn't an indie rock station in Philly, there's a little station called WXPN. You should tune in sometime! You'll get all the Avett Brothers and Dr. Dog your little eardrums can handle. (But only if Pitchfork says it's okay)”

The Music Issue 2012
By PW Staff

We’re taking you on a whirlwind tour of Philly’s sonic citizens—in the clubs, on the road, off the map and over the top.

RELATED: Music Issue 2012: Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band Kicks Off PW's Concerts in the Park Music Issue 2012: Nocturne, the Nation's Longest-Running Club Night, Says Adieu Music Issue 2012: A Caravan of Philly Bands Swarms New England Music Issue 2012: Soul Queen Lady Alma Horton Returns to the Stage