Music Issue 2012: Philly Tastemakers Reveal Their Favorite Music

By PW Staff
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 6 | Posted Aug. 15, 2012

First record purchased: DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, He’s the DJ, I’m the Rapper. Yes, I’m old as fuck.

Last record purchased: Nas, Life is Good. Life isn’t good, but Nas makes it better.

Favorite Philly act: DJs Bo Bliz and Emynd, aka Crossfaded Bacon. Most fun you’ll have at a party is when they are behind the decks.

Favorite Philly venue: Fluid. That place is like Cheers for a lot of me and my friends. We grew up in there.

Now in heavy rotation: I’d like to say some hardcore hip-hop, but honestly, I listen to Sade more than my mom. Prince, too.

DJ BO BLIZ, Crossfaded Bacon

First record purchased: Huey Lewis and the News, The Power of Love.

Last record purchased: Rick Ross, God Forgives, I Don’t.

Favorite Philly act: Reef the Lost Cauze and Meek Mill.

Favorite Philly venue: The Barbary and Silk City.

Now in heavy rotation: French Montana, Coke Boys 3 and RediRoc, T.R.A.P.

TAYYIB SMITH, Impresario, LittleGiantCreative.com

First record purchased: Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5.

Last record purchased: Frank Ocean, Channel Orange.

Favorite Philly act: The Roots.

Favorite Philly venue: I get paid to make endorsements. Next question.

Now in heavy rotation: John Coltrane, A Love Supreme.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Aug 15, 2012 at 12:27PM

“wow. what a truly diverse and varied group of "tastemakers". one more reason why PW is a joke of a weekly rag.”

2. Anonymous said... on Aug 15, 2012 at 01:11PM

“They should have asked for their Favorite Philly Act that's not The Roots.”

3. Anonymous said... on Aug 16, 2012 at 01:53AM

“troll much?”

4. Anonymous said... on Aug 16, 2012 at 02:48PM

“In Philly, we play both types of music. Hip hop AND indie rock! No, but seriously, you guys couldn't find a few more MCs and DJs to contribute?”

5. Anonymous said... on Aug 23, 2012 at 08:06PM

“Stop hating. There isn't even an indie rock station on main stream radio in Philly. Philadelphia is known for Soul music and Hip-Hop. And more music industry DJs have come out of Philly than any other city in the world. Whether it's Josh Wink, Diplo or Jazzy Jeff, we have dominated DJ culture for the last 30 years.”

6. Anonymous said... on Aug 27, 2012 at 05:40PM

“I call it as I see it, and I see a music scene far more diverse in this city than was given credit by these so-called "taste makers". Maybe if there was someone over 35 contributing to PW, we'd hear about it. Oh, and if you're actually under the impression that there isn't an indie rock station in Philly, there's a little station called WXPN. You should tune in sometime! You'll get all the Avett Brothers and Dr. Dog your little eardrums can handle. (But only if Pitchfork says it's okay)”