The titles that rocked our world in 2005.
It's that time of the year again, kids. You know-when work-shy jaded music hacks breathe a sigh of relief, secure in the knowledge they don't have to actually write anything, and can simply spew forth spurious best-of lists (often copped from rival titles' and/or fellow hacks' lists).
And who are we to spit in the face of tradition? So without further ado, here's a highly subjective, utterly random collection of some of our writers' (i.e., the ones who aren't self-appointed rock tzar Jonathan Valania) end-of-year raves. Cheers!
1) Oneida The Wedding (Jagjaguwar)
2) Akron/Family & Angels of Light Akron/Family & Angels of Light (Young God)
3) Animal Collective Feels (Fat Cat)
4) Hold Steady Separation Sunday (French Kiss)
5) National Alligator (Beggars Banquet)
6) Spoon Gimme Fiction (Merge)
7) Mahjongg Raydoncong 2005 (Cold Crush)
8) Devin Davis Lonely People of the World, Unite! (Mousse)
9) Heartless Bastards Stairs and Elevators (Fat Possum)
10) French Toast In a Cave (Dischord)
1) Comet Gain City Fallen Leaves (Kill Rock Stars)
2) Future Tips Girls on Wheels (Extracurricular)
3) Stephen Malkmus Face the Truth (Matador)