Rapping With A Queer Twist

Gay female rapper Benni E.’s success is imminent.

By Bill Chenevert
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 13 | Posted Sep. 15, 2009

Benni knows that there’s no money in keepin’ it local and has been able to make a living performing and with Yo Majesty, a successful Tampa, Fla.-born outspoken lesbian trio of rappers. Their explicit and often nudity-filled stage performances have been well-received by critics, homos and forward-thinking straights. It’s a spotlight that Benni may be able to capitalize on, though she’s definitely not getting naked. She doesn’t have to. Benni Emilia’s got the goods, the flow, the beats and the charm. ■

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. OutHipHop.com said... on Sep 16, 2009 at 09:44AM

“One small correction: " struggle that began in Southern California in the mid-’90s with queer hip-hop legends Rainbow Flava and Deep Dickollective (D/DC)."

That's actually the San Francisco Bay Area, not Southern California.

Great article!”

2. Anonymous said... on Sep 16, 2009 at 01:31PM

“Philly Stand uP!”

3. Anonymous said... on Sep 16, 2009 at 01:49PM

“Great to see a queer hip hop artist like Benni E to get recognition. Great things are to come for Benni E and other queer artists!!”

4. Anonymous said... on Sep 16, 2009 at 01:49PM

5. Anonymous said... on Sep 16, 2009 at 03:03PM

“FROM EAST COAST TO WEST, FROM ONE CONTINENT TO THE NEXT, TO THE FUTURE AND BEYOND!!!
IM SO PROUD OF ALL THE QUEER HIP HOPPERS!!!
MUCH LOVE FROM SEATTLE
CVW”

6. kiema said... on Sep 16, 2009 at 03:15PM

“good article, Bill. big ups to Benni!”

7. cozmic cat said... on Sep 16, 2009 at 04:24PM

“Benni E is the bomb straight up!!!! We loved her in Toronto this past summer. She tore the roof off with 1200 people freaking out over her ridiculous flow!

8. NZ said... on Sep 16, 2009 at 05:06PM

“Benni E is for real! Genuine and doing her thing for all the right reasons! Take note also, the queer element is part of Benni and her music but there is something for everyone!”

9. L.W.A said... on Sep 17, 2009 at 11:00AM

“aey whats it the truth got nothing but love benni im a female stud rap artist myself with some of the aspirations the day will come and also yall can check me out at www.williemaetaylor.exploretalent.com to vote for taylor2 and myspace taylor.taffy@yahoo.com and thisis50.com we coming”

10. bstyle said... on Sep 17, 2009 at 09:20PM

“Wow, thanks to the author for doing a good job on this. I usually read articles like this with my fingers crossed. I'd like to add my hope that Bennie E and other queer artists will succeed not despite the fact that they are queer, or female, or otherwise marginalized but *because* of it. Maybe just maybe people will get sick of hearing misogyny and lyrical gay bashing (in all genres, it's not just hip-hop folks..) and want something better and something more. We are beyond ready. Go Benni!”

11. Mel said... on Sep 18, 2009 at 04:14PM

“Right on Benni E!!! Lovin' you from San Francisco.”

12. SONNY LEWIS said... on Sep 21, 2009 at 03:59PM

“SHE'S THAT CHICK... DUHHHHHHHHH!?!”

13. Big Shay said... on Oct 12, 2009 at 07:32PM

I'm an female openly gay rapper...I mean like whats the big deal about who I choose to sleep with???? Which brings me to the "Big Shay Challenge" listen to a sample of my new CD "Exception to the Rules" and tell me if you can tell I'm girl. I produced the music, recorded the music ,and wrote all my material. Your feed back is welcomed so get at me on any site you choose. I need a chance to be heard and accepted, don't you think???