Music Issue 2012: Philly Tastemakers Reveal Their Favorite Music

By PW Staff
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 6 | Posted Aug. 15, 2012

Now in heavy rotation: A lot of jazz, house music and mid- to early ‘90s hip-hop. Of course, I like alternative too; I’ve been listening to a lot of Phoenix. Then there’s lots of J. Dilla and A Tribe Called Quest. For house, a lot of Nujabes, and for jazz, a lot of Robert Glasper.

COLIN FRANGICETTO, Guitarist, Circa Survive

First record purchased: Either Michael Jackson, Bad or Weird Al Yankovic, Fat.

Last record purchased: The new Beach House album, Bloom.

Favorite Philly act: That’s tough; there’s so many great ones. Probably either Good Old War or Kurt Vile.

Favorite Philly venue: For small shows, Johnny Brenda’s and Kung Fu Necktie; for bigger, Union Transfer. And then The Electric Factory is killer for huge shows.

Now in heavy rotation: Led Zeppelin, Purity Ring, Miles Davis, Owl Paws, O Brother, Hendrix, Mew, Beach House and Anthony’s [Anthony Green, of Circa Survive] latest album, Beautiful Things.

KEITH GOODWIN, Lead Vocalist, Good Old War

First record purchased: The first tape I ever got I think was Kris Kross. And probably then Boyz II Men. Then maybe Dr. Dre.

Last record purchased: Jimmy Cliff, Rebirth.

Favorite Philly act: I really like Dr. Dog, and I really like The Roots.

Favorite Philly venue: That’s a tough one. I really like playing XPN, World Café Live. I really like TLA, and Union Transfer we played once, and I thought that was pretty cool.

Now in heavy rotation: I kind of went back to listening to Vampire Weekend, Contra and a lot of Lucas Wainwright. And then Classical Babies for my little boy.

MAORI KARMAEL HOLMES, Artistic Director, BlackStar Film Festival/Associate Director, Leeway Foundation

First record purchased: Michael Jackson’s Thriller, bought for me; New Edition’s NE Heartbreak, bought on my own.

Last record purchased: Frank Ocean, Channel Orange.

Favorite Philly act: Signed? The Roots. Unsigned? Ethel Cee.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on Aug 15, 2012 at 12:27PM

“wow. what a truly diverse and varied group of "tastemakers". one more reason why PW is a joke of a weekly rag.”

2. Anonymous said... on Aug 15, 2012 at 01:11PM

“They should have asked for their Favorite Philly Act that's not The Roots.”

3. Anonymous said... on Aug 16, 2012 at 01:53AM

“troll much?”

4. Anonymous said... on Aug 16, 2012 at 02:48PM

“In Philly, we play both types of music. Hip hop AND indie rock! No, but seriously, you guys couldn't find a few more MCs and DJs to contribute?”

5. Anonymous said... on Aug 23, 2012 at 08:06PM

“Stop hating. There isn't even an indie rock station on main stream radio in Philly. Philadelphia is known for Soul music and Hip-Hop. And more music industry DJs have come out of Philly than any other city in the world. Whether it's Josh Wink, Diplo or Jazzy Jeff, we have dominated DJ culture for the last 30 years.”

6. Anonymous said... on Aug 27, 2012 at 05:40PM

“I call it as I see it, and I see a music scene far more diverse in this city than was given credit by these so-called "taste makers". Maybe if there was someone over 35 contributing to PW, we'd hear about it. Oh, and if you're actually under the impression that there isn't an indie rock station in Philly, there's a little station called WXPN. You should tune in sometime! You'll get all the Avett Brothers and Dr. Dog your little eardrums can handle. (But only if Pitchfork says it's okay)”

The Music Issue 2012
By PW Staff

We’re taking you on a whirlwind tour of Philly’s sonic citizens—in the clubs, on the road, off the map and over the top.

RELATED: Music Issue 2012: Rev. Peyton's Big Damn Band Kicks Off PW's Concerts in the Park Music Issue 2012: Nocturne, the Nation's Longest-Running Club Night, Says Adieu Music Issue 2012: A Caravan of Philly Bands Swarms New England Music Issue 2012: Soul Queen Lady Alma Horton Returns to the Stage