Stock's Pound Cake

By Kirsten Henri
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 10 | Posted Feb. 22, 2006

2614 E. Lehigh Ave. 215.634.7344

"Excuse me. Did you bring that cake?" asked a woman I didn't know, interrupting my conversation at a party recently. She pointed over to the table, where the pound cake loaf lay ignominiously, icing side down, amid the Middle Eastern spread of hummus and grape leaves.

I had indeed brought the cake to the party, but this woman had a maniacal gleam in her eye and was tugging on my shirt so insistently that I wondered if I should admit it. Maybe I should make a run for it before this cake-deranged person unleashed her wrath. Had the cake somehow offended?

Before I had time to escape, she grabbed my arm. "Where did you get it?" she wanted to know. I told her my friend had bought it for me at Stock's in Port Richmond.

"I knew it!" she shrieked. "They made my wedding cake! I love Stock's!" Obviously, I had mistaken her enthusiasm for anger. Okay, alcohol was involved, but it's rare that a pound cake can elicit this type of reaction. Then again, Stock's cool, velvety version is a rare pound cake.

First of all, it's a pound cake but, according to manager and fourth-generation Stock, Kristine Stock-DeCarles, each loaf tips the scales at a substantial 2.5 pounds. The Stocks have been baking these cakes using the same recipe since 1924, when Stock-DeCarles' great-grandfather and grandfather opened the store. "Nothing changes," she warns, "or they come back to haunt us."

Stock's sells plain or marble pound cakes, either un-iced or frosted with chocolate or vanilla. Each loaf comes shrink-wrapped in plastic and then carefully folded up in plain paper like a gift. They also make larger versions of the pound cake that are popular as wedding cakes-so popular that Stock-DeCarlis remembers one bride who changed the date of her July wedding when she heard Stock's is closed during July.

A cake that holds this much influence over brides? A rare pound cake indeed.

COMMENTS

1. GB said... on Sep 15, 2011 at 12:04PM

“Simply delicious! I've tasted the plain and marble pound cakes and loved every bite. The cakes are so moist, I highly recommend Stock's pound cakes for any occassion.”

2. mary cahill kurpiewski said... on Mar 6, 2012 at 03:17PM

“I lived in Philly for 34 years and had stocks wedding cake 50 years ago. Every year on my birthday, anniversary and other special events such as my autograph party when I wrote my first book "looking back at where I've been....Philadelphia!"; my wonderful family sends me this delicacy every chance they get. It makes every occasion special even though it costs a fortune for them to mail it. But I must confess, I only give California people a sliver---why get them hooked too???”

3. Anonymous said... on Mar 9, 2012 at 02:36PM

“The Pound Cake is absolutely wonderful...best we've ever had.
Tried the Butter Cake which is also delicious, however, as I remember from my earlier years the cake portion of the Butter Cake should be thinner and there should be more of the gooey butter topping. Thank you for your hard work.”

4. Cynthia said... on Apr 7, 2012 at 09:07PM

“Just an FYI....the reason they are called pound cakes is not because of how much they weigh, it's because the original recipes used a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, and a pound of flour.”

5. Greg said... on Dec 5, 2012 at 12:34PM

“But Stock's doesn't use butter so what's the point?”

6. Herb Gross said... on Dec 9, 2012 at 09:41PM

“I see that you do not accept credit cards. If i send you my check and wait for it to clear, could you mail me several pound cakes? I live in Boca Raton Florida. When i lived in Phil;a., I was a regular customer. My phone number is 561-445-0180 Thank you for the best pound cake maker ever.”

7. Rick said... on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:32AM

“My friend introduced me to STOCK'S about 10 years ago. I'm originally from West Virginia, & every year my family gets excited when I come home with my pound cakes wrapped in the white plain paper. They are the BEST!!! break out the strawberries, blueberries or just eat them plain....I like to toast them for breakfast with my coffee & ADD APPLE BUTTER that's.... "Southern Style".”

8. Anonymous said... on Jan 26, 2013 at 03:20PM

“can I buy your cake in Jersey? Love it but rarely get to PA”

9. Anonymous said... on Jan 29, 2013 at 03:07PM

“i never had a pound cake from Stocks, but i have the recipe for it. my grandfather use to work for stocks back in the early 1930's. (he came from germany) i make it every chance i get with fresh strawberries and homemade whip cream...
thanks pop pop.... some day i will make it to the bakery”

10. Bonnie Ackerman said... on Feb 8, 2013 at 02:14PM

“Best pound cake ever. My wedding shower cake was from Stock's 50 years
ago. All our Birthday and Special Occasion cakes always come from Stock's.
It's a family tradition.