Pequea Valley Farms Yogurt

By Kirsten Henri
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 39 | Posted Aug. 18, 2004

Sue's Produce, 114 S. 18th St. 215.241.0102
Metropolitan Bakery, 262 S. 19th St. 215.545.6655
Farm to City, www.farmtocity.org

First: Pequea is pronounced Peck-wah, according to Bob Pierson, program director of Farm to City, a Philadelphia-based initiative that promotes locally grown food. Second: I'm sorry, I'm too busy shoveling spoonfuls of strawberry yogurt in my mouth to pronounce anything correctly. Pequea Valley Farms' yogurt is so freaking delicious, the only sound you'll be able to summon is a deeply satisfied "mmm." As Pierson says, "Many people who taste this yogurt think it's the best they've ever had." I certainly did on the day I stumbled upon it at Sue's Produce on 18th Street. Those glorious Amish folk have done it again, creating a yogurt that's so rich and flavorful, it puts our sorry little Dannon and even "gourmet" Stonyfield Farm to shame. Pequea Valley Farms, owned by Abner King in the miniscule village of Ronks in Lancaster County, turns out a product that's densely creamy, with a zippy tang and a melt-in-your-mouth quality that you don't normally associate with yogurt. Although yogurt's health benefits are often touted--high in calcium and B vitamins and good for digestion--its flavor profile tends to underwhelm, and it too easily gets shuffled into the category of snooze-inducing diet foods. Yogurt, like its friend cheese, is an ancient fermented farm product that was developed as a way to preserve an excess of milk. And like cheese, when yogurt is made in an artisanal way, with respect for the product and the process, it can be wonderfully complex, delicious and a world away from the mass-produced impostors that occupy many supermarket shelves. This yogurt is made from the milk of grass-fed Jersey cows--Jersey as in the British Island, not Turnpike--which are prized for the quality of their milk. And "grass-fed" means the cows are allowed to graze freely, not fed a processed feed mix, which often includes ground-up bits of other dead cows and has been pinpointed as a source of the spread of mad cow disease. Pequea Valley Farms' yogurt comes in a variety of flavors, all of them luscious. I can personally recommend the strawberry, black cherry and blueberry. There's also a plain version, which is a great substitute for sour cream in a pinch. Or if you don't mind a little tartness, it's tasty on its own topped with a little black pepper. Pick it up at Sue's or Metropolitan Bakery, or order it through the Farm to City website. (Kirsten Henri)

COMMENTS

1. stelvis said... on Sep 22, 2009 at 11:39AM

“First of all, that's not how you pronounce Pequea. At least that's not how we actually pronounce it in Lancaster County. We say PECK-way.

However, you're right, the yogurt is delicious. Try the lemon.”

2. Theresa said... on Nov 11, 2009 at 10:08AM

“Hi! I just wrote saying we enjoy the yogurt and wondered if they ship it out of Pa.? we won't be back till next summer and would love to get more. My daugther-in-law and I love it!”

3. Anonymous said... on Nov 11, 2009 at 02:41PM

“5 years later this yogurt is still the best in town ! Only now you can get it in more places - like Milk & Honey Market in West Philly.”

4. Anonymous said... on Dec 4, 2009 at 11:54AM

“it is BY FAR the best yogurt this side of he Atlantic! it is the only one i have found so far that compares to the "Joghurt" i used to get in Switzerland - so the cows are really fed naturally? away from the highways?”

5. Anonymous said... on Dec 15, 2009 at 03:39PM

“This is the most amazing yogurt I have ever tasted... travel over 40 minutes just to buy it each week.... The maple flavor reminds me of creamy cheesecake.... yummy!”

6. Anonymous said... on Dec 21, 2009 at 01:32AM

“i wish i could this yogurt out west. honestly i never loved yogurt until i had pequea valley yogurt. breakfast just isn't the same without it. nothing else i've tasted even comes close.”

7. Anonymous said... on Jan 19, 2010 at 11:36AM

“i live in delaware county . does anyone know where to get pequea valley yogurt out here??? i do buy it at booths corners farmers market but if i cant get there are there any other stores to buy it in the area?”

8. Anonymous said... on Feb 8, 2010 at 03:25PM

“Best. Yogurt. Ever.

We buy ours at the Fair Food Farmstand at the Reading Terminal Market.”

9. Maggie said... on Mar 16, 2010 at 04:48PM

“Can anyone tell me the calories and fat content in Pequea Valley Farm's Chocolate Yogurt.”

10. Bear said... on Mar 19, 2010 at 10:19PM

“This Pequea Valley Farm Yogurt sounds delicious. Does anyone know where I can buy it in Northern Lancaster County? I live between Ephrata & Adamstown.

11. Ginnywise said... on Apr 21, 2010 at 12:55PM

“I'm looking to find it somewhere out on the Main line? Anyone found it out here?”

12. Todd V said... on Jun 22, 2010 at 05:45PM

“Essene Market has it at 4th and Bainbridge. I just found this stuff and it is the best I've ever had. Now I'm sort of sad that I've been eating substandard yogurt my whole life.”

13. anonymous said... on Apr 1, 2011 at 07:42AM

“Please...available anywhere near west chester, pa? I don't even care for yogurt, but LOVE Pequea Valley! I wish it weren't so difficult to find.”

14. marcela said... on May 17, 2011 at 03:06PM

“Got the yogurts this past weekend, in Hillsboro, Virginia. Our family lives in Ashburn ,Loudoun County, and we promise ourselves to return next week to get more. It is sooo,like in Switzerland!!!”

15. Anonymous said... on Jun 15, 2011 at 10:53AM

“Discovered yesterday in Vienna, VA -- Maple Avenue Market... www.mapleavenuemarket.com... I'm not a big fan of yogurt, but I do buy Fage and other quality Greek yogurts... Pequea's beats them all as it is rich and only slightly tart.”

16. Diner said... on Jul 11, 2011 at 08:02AM

“This great yogurt can be purchased at Sharp Shopper in Leola, Forry's on Ivy Drive in Landisville or small containers at SKH (Stauffer's of Kissel Hill for out of town folk)”

17. Anonymous said... on Aug 2, 2011 at 07:10AM

“I *LOVE* this yogurt. Just finished some vanilla. I get it at the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia. It's getting easier and easier to eat locally!”

18. Wilbur said... on Sep 16, 2011 at 11:52AM

“We buy it at two different locations. One is at Horning's Market just south of Myerstown, PA on Rt. 501 in Lebanon County. The other location is at the other Horning's Market just south of Bethel, PA, again on Rt. 501 in Berks County. I have loved most kinds of yogurt for many years, however, this beats all! For those that are wondering about calories, I have the Rasperry Yogurt in front of me right now, and that is set at 260 calories per every 8 oz. serving! Yes, it is a little on the high side, but so is cheesecake, ice cream and all the other goodies!”

19. Johanna said... on Sep 20, 2011 at 09:37AM

“It's available at Weavers Way Co-op in NW Philly. I know the Mt. Airy location stocks it, and I think the Chestnut Hill one does as well, but I'm not sure.”

20. Anonymous said... on Nov 21, 2011 at 10:35PM

“Fair Food Farmstand in Reading Terminal Market & King's Country Store in Booth's Corner Farmers Market in Delaware County. http://www.boothscorner.com/directory.asp”

21. Jon said... on Jan 26, 2012 at 05:08PM

“Just got some lemon today at Reading Terminal Market. It is so fracking good, it tastes like a dessert!”

22. Joanne Kozy said... on Feb 21, 2012 at 02:40PM

“Only by chance did I discover this delicious yogurt at Sues produce market on 18th st, didnt feel like walking all the way to the Reading Terminal for produce.Without a doubt, the chocolate yogurt is so creamy, cant wait to try all flavors.”

23. Kelly said... on Mar 2, 2012 at 04:10PM

“Thank you Stelvis for letting them know the correct way to pronounce Pequea!

It's funny because I live in Lancaster County and went to Pequea Valley High School and have NEVER seen the yogurt before I came to Philadelphia.

It. Is. Heavenly.”

24. Anonymous said... on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:12PM

“You can get it at Wolf's Market and Apple house in Media/Lima and also at Martindale's in Springfield. I go back and forth between Pequea and Seven Stars as my favorite yogurt ever sold.”

25. donna said... on Apr 20, 2012 at 09:26PM

“I just started eating yogurt and you have get used to the taste. I went to the farmers market and tried my first Pequea strawberry yogurt. Its the best I ever tasted , and I'm thinking to myself it tastes to good to actually be good for you. You know how anything that's healthy usually isn't this fabulous. I think the lemon is my favorite. Can't get enough, try to limit one per day, since they are higher in calories and sugar.”

26. David L. Cadwallader said... on May 7, 2012 at 09:42AM

“Kristen Henri, you need to get your facts straight about what is fed to dairy cows it is easy to do. google it. Cows are not fed "ground up bits of other cows" please refrain from commenting about a subject you have no expertise in.The yogurt of Mr. Kings is very good. The fact that he pastures his cows is not why the yogurt is very good. Fresh ingredients and care make a quality product.”

27. Anonymous said... on Jun 6, 2012 at 12:41AM

“it may be "natural" but it sure isn't "good for you". A 6 oz container has about 200 calories (some varieties even more) and 6 gm saturated fat - which is 10% of calories and 30% of the max amount of sat fat an adult on 2000 kcal diet should be eating per day. I feel ill after 1/2 a container. It takes like a dish of cream. The company seems to adamant that they are not going to skim their products. Why?”

28. Faith said... on Jun 20, 2012 at 07:00AM

“I live in Pequea (not Pequea Valley) and we pronounce it PECK-way as well. This yogurt is fantastic, but I agree with anonymous that a little goes a long way. I buy the big container from Hilltop Markets in Manheim and have a few big spoonfuls with a little granola for breakfast. Delicious stuff.”

29. sherry said... on Jun 25, 2012 at 05:33PM

“Thank goodness that they are NOT going to skim their products!! The cream on the top is one of the heavenly things about this yogurt! I pay no attention to fats and saturated fats when it comes to a couple of cups of yogurt a week, especially this kind of wonderful treat! Anyone know where to find in northern Delaware? I buy at a local health food store, but it's a small store and the prices are high there.”

30. Anonymous said... on Jun 25, 2012 at 09:07PM

31. Margaret said... on May 2, 2013 at 11:20AM

“Looking forward to spending time in the Philly area,where I can purchase
Pequea yogurt It is the very best Only wish I could find in the Chicago area
Thank you, cows and all the great people making this wonderful products.”

32. Timothy McGivern said... on May 19, 2013 at 07:08PM

“This is simply the best yogurt I have ever tasted. It is so very rich and creamy that you can truly taste the difference between this and the overly processed yogurts sold in large supermarket chains, etc.

I was lucky enough to discover it last month and will be driving to the Amish farmers market in Williamstown, NJ each week to purchase it.

The vanilla is amazing, as is the lemon and blueberry....YUM!!!! The chocolate is very good as well, but I have yet to try the peach and strawberry; although I am certain that I will do at some point in the future. (I can't stop eating the vanilla...it is that good and find myself going to the refrigerator quite often to take scoops of it from the container).

I hope that they keep producing this delicious product for years to come and leave the ingredients as they are.

They certainly have a loyal customer in me!!!

33. Jody from Lancaster said... on Jun 7, 2013 at 05:39AM

“I live only 20 minutes from this farm... I try to purchase most food items buy local buy fresh and I am so darn happy to be able to say that about this yogurt. Grass fed cows are right in line with it. Not only is this the BEST yogurt I have ever tasted; my entire family LOVES it!! The plain is a great alternative to sour cream and is delicious to eat by itself. I have tried lemon, strawberry and plain and they are all amazing. Creamy, tasty and IMHO better than the Greek styles... it almost feels as if you are eating pudding....Never buy another brand again!”

34. Anonymous said... on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:28AM

“Best Yogurt I've eaten ! Can I only buy Pequea Valley Farm yogurt in PA ?”

35. Anonymous said... on Sep 10, 2013 at 06:40PM

“I assume that it's not always 100% grass fed? What about in the winter? Do they stop production?”

36. Janis said... on Mar 10, 2014 at 10:00AM

“I just opened a new office in Old City and was elated to find it at Olde City Coffee. I bought out all the peach, so I hope they will start ordering more. I am an addict- I also get it at both Whole Foods locations in town, but I wish they would stock large containers of peach. Did I mention I am an addict????”

37. Donna said... on Mar 25, 2014 at 01:08PM

“We have just started carrying this product at the Delta Discount Grocery and More. We love it. Located Southern York Co, Pa at the Mason-Dixon line.

38. Tom said... on May 9, 2014 at 09:45PM

“Since my Mom retired to Lancaster County, I have discovered this product at many local stores ..I now make a point of taking several cups back to Chester Co with me on every visit ..did not know that yogert could taste yhis good ..the flavors & creaminess are amazing :-)”

39. Anonymous said... on Aug 7, 2014 at 10:23AM

“I too discovered this marvelous yogurt I usually make my own from raw milk but this is sooo much better even than mine. would love to know how they get it so creamy...”