Hot Potato Cafe: 'Nightmare' No More

Fishtown's Hot Potato Cafe went from spud dud to potato palace overnight.

By Brian McManus
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 100 | Posted Jan. 29, 2010

At Hot Potato Cafe, the frown has been turned upside down.

Editor's Note: PW's Brian McManus reviewed the Hot Potato Cafe in the summer of 2007. He didn't like it. In May of last year he was invited back by the producers of Kitchen Nightmares after a relaunch spearheaded by curse-happy Scotsman and world renown chef Gordon Ramsay. The review that follows is for his return visit. The Hot Potato Cafe episode of Kitchen Nightmares aired Friday on Fox. See the show below.

The average American eats 140 pounds of potatoes a year. That potato fact—and several others—is typed on the new placemats at the once-dreadful, now welcoming-and-delicious Hot Potato Café.

But the placemats aren’t all that’s new. This is the mother of all turnarounds, people!

Some history: Two summers ago I reviewed the HPC. Things didn’t go so well. The potato soup tasted of bacon grease and was a thick, gloppy mess. The green beans were cooked to mush. And there were a couple culinary inventions—buffalo chicken dip, a crab dip—that defied all logic. Hot Potato Cafe even managed to burn a grilled cheese that first go around, and at my review’s end I wrote, “The warm and helpful waitstaff at Hot Potato are about as nice as they come, exhibiting the exact tone you'd expect from a joint aiming to be a neighborhood standby. If only the kitchen would give them some help.”

Well, that help has come, and what a difference it's made.

The change is immediate.  Hot Potato’s reworked their entire interior even, and it's rather spectacular (save for a couple cheap looking paintings)—chocolate brown walls adorned with potato sacks; potatoes in mason jars line shelves; a giant sack of potatoes sits atop the hostess’ desk; potatoes, potatoes and more potatoes; and a comfy, chic waiting area (with free, melt-in-your-mouth potato cookies!).

That anyone would actually wait to eat at Hot Potato two years ago is unthinkable. Not so now.

So what of the food? The menu is a study in the potato. If there are 5,000 varieties of spud (and there are…thank you, informative placemat!) then Hot Potato does its best to knock out a good percentage of them. Of the 25 dishes on offer at Hot Potato, 21 contain potato. If the Atkins Diet is dead (and it is), the new menu at Hot Potato defecates on its grave.

There’s potato soup, potato filled pierogies, five types of “loaded” hot potatoes, two types of potato salad, fingerling potato hash with chorizo, potato bread, mashed potatoes, fried potatoes and fried sweet potatoes. If Bubba Gump were obsessed with potatoes and not shrimp, Hot Potato Café is the restaurant he would’ve opened. (Well hello there, reference from 1994!)

But the remarkable thing about the menu’s apparent lack of diversity is that each potato dish manages to hit its own note. Our waiter Brian (who, incidentally, was my waiter at my first dinner at HPC) suggested my dining companion and I try one of the potato salads. We went with “No 1” and were rewarded with a fresh, olive-and-feta-spiked purple potato salad that was as gorgeous to look at as it was delicious to eat. Simply wonderful, purple potatoes and green beans all glistening like jewels.

Potato soup was silky smooth, a healthy dollop of whipped cream and tiny dice of chives singing out in the middle of all the richness; pierogies sit atop a bed of perfectly caramelized onions, and are little pillows of potato-filled heaven; the grilled fish (on this night, mahi) and chips are light and fresh and, at $14 for a sizeable hunk of protein, quite a steal; shepherds pie—it too suggested by helpful Brian (Brian’s are so smart!)—was the best I’ve ever tasted. During a lull in service between app and entrée we were even treated to a tin of sweet potato fries, a more nutritious take on an old standard that owes its ubiquity on several menus across town to the fact that it seldom disappoints.

For dessert we had both the deliciously rich butter cake and risked the starch coma, and had the sweet potato cheesecake to boot, which had an odd orange-y zest to it, but was good and comforting nonetheless.

Again, the mother of all turnarounds. I’ll be back (I simply NEED to try that sloppy joe loaded potato), and, if the excitement in the neighborhood about the restaurant’s relaunch is any indication, I’ll be getting to know that waiting area pretty well.

The average American eats 140 pounds of potatoes a year. Well, thanks to HPC, the residents of Fishtown will surely double the national average.

COMMENTS

1. alec said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 05:15PM

“i live in the uk, and seeing the dishes on the episode of kitchen nightmares (downloaded from internet) i simply must make fishtown my next holdiay destination and try this cafe.”

2. Dave said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 09:47PM

“Wondering if the Chef is single ???”

3. Danielle ROCKS said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 09:59PM

“Danielle is as hot as the HPC!”

4. Anonymous said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:02PM

“posting a 9-month old restaurant review? gotta love that TV money”

5. Anonymous said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:02PM

“no one wants to see the word "defacates" in a food review.”

6. little hottie said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:04PM

“she can cook!”

7. dave m said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:04PM

“what a fine young lady chef .”

8. Christina B. said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:04PM

“I can't wait to support this family by eating at their restaurant. Kitchen Nightmares sure makes me want to stop in and cheer them on!!!!”

9. Anonymous said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:04PM

“she can cook!”

10. Anonymous said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:04PM

“Just watched it and i'm most definitely going. I grew up on Girard Ave for 16 years. Better have those potatoes right when I get there.”

11. Mott said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:05PM

“I liked your review.(especially all of the remarks in brackets)”

12. Karenqs said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:06PM

“I lived in NE Philly for 40 years and knew no other food. We moved to the burbs and found a new food world. We hope that quality rather than quantity finds NE Phila. Good luck to Hot Potato.”

13. Anonymous said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:10PM

“I don't know. I thought the "defecates" line was outrageously funny.”

14. Anonymous said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:12PM

“How does this review not mention the fact that McManus was invited by Kitchen Nightmares to come review the joint...and everyone at the restaurant knew who he was? Great journalism.”

15. Anonymous said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:24PM

“I am looking forward to going to hpc! I think danille needs to grow eyebrows!!
p.s I Love Gordon Ramsay!!!”

16. Anonymous said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:27PM

“”

17. Anonymous said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:59PM

“Anonymous #14, it does say that he was invited back by the show in the first paragraph. Also, most food critics are well known, especially among restaurant owners. The critics realize this and the good ones take it into account when reviewing. If their meal is not close to perfect and they know the restaurant realizes who they are, chances are most "normal" people will have even lower quality service and food.

I agree with everyone that says that Danielle is very cute, and talented too! Good luck to her! If Gordon believes she has talent that is really saying something for her.”

18. dave from buffalo said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 11:07PM

“chef was biased tonight because Danielle is SCORCHING HOT!”

19. scotto said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 11:23PM

“You rocked it Danielle...your on your way girlie!”

20. Fernando from Montreal said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 11:39PM

“Danielle is amazing, and gorgeous. I have seen multiple chefs in the show Kitchen Nightmares, struggling a lot to deliver simple menus. Not Danielle. And she is only 21 years old !!! I'm very impress. Couldn't take my eyes from those beautiful blue eyes of her. Keep it going Danielle.”

21. gordan ramsey jr said... on Jan 29, 2010 at 11:40PM

“Bullocks to you all... Looks like one of the three fat aunts posted all the positive reviews.. I watched my dad's show and wondered why only the blonde aunt seemed alive while the other two were just passing time on this earth... Also about 75% of the places that are on my dad's show go out of business. hmmm the dropped potato cafe ? Bullocks to you all...”

22. Anonymous said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:00AM

“@23 @24
Why do you keep talking about oxen???”

23. Terry said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:58AM

“#2. and 3. are hot for Danielle, give me Brian the waiter**:).”

24. mike d San Diego said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 01:28AM

“Danielle-is awsome! You stole the show! And the food looked good too!”

25. Dadante said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 02:21AM

“Danielle will you marry me?.,.........................”

26. Dadante said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 02:21AM

“Danielle will you marry me?.,.........................”

27. Anonymous said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 02:39AM

“I saw K.N. too tonight (in Hawaii) and am impressed with the restaurant's dramatic turnaround. Seems that it's not just chef Danielle who is hot! :-b I wish all the ladies the best for 2010.”

28. wink wink said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 02:40AM

“I think Brian will make someone a very happy husband.”

29. Anonymous said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 04:07AM

“I think this is the first time on KN that the kitchen didn't fall apart during a simple dinner service. For someone who has never had any training, heck, no background in food AT ALL, Danielle has got her stuff together and she remembered where she put it! I hope she learned a lot from the chef "SUPER RAMSAY" hired to train her up a bit and I really hope this has lit a fire in her for cooking! Danielle, you are absolutely adorable and I am totally smitten with you. At 21 to have such drive is nearly unheard of. To find it in a beautiful woman makes you a truly unique. If I were 15 years younger, and thought I had a snowballs chance in Hades, I'd be in my car driving north right now. Instead, I'll just have to settle for dreams of what could have been.”

30. Anonymous said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 09:43AM

“some of you people are really creepy with your obsessions (29...) maybe get out and get a hobby of your own and you'll meet a real live "danielle" instead of obsessing over your tv....
good show all and all. happy for the HPC.”

31. Mary C said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:26PM

“I live on the West Coast & have never been to Philadelphia--I wish the Hot Potato Cafe the best & may your business stay just as HOT! Great show & "Ramsay" did a great job turning that place around--good advertisement
helps & steady customers--Happy.”

32. The Chef Up North said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:36PM

“Dear Anon post #21 (aka- gordan ramsey jr) if you were his son you should learn to spell his name you a-hole!! (Its Gordon Ramsay) Although you may be his spawn in that he banged your mum, he probably doesnt know who you are!! HAHAHHAHHA you a-holeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

33. Colin said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:56PM

“Great show and great original restaurant concept
It is great to see the turnaround and the chef, what more is there to say...awesome job
I have to go there to eat soon”

34. Matt from UCLA said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 01:06PM

“I'm really happy that this show gave this family a second chance. It really warmed my heart to see them all come together in the end. Next time I'm in Philly, I can't wait to try the HPC! (& If Brian's ever in Los Angeles... hehe)

35. Brian said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 01:24PM

“www hempworx com I wonder, is there any restaurant that Brian actually likes and doesnt trash the reputation of ????”

36. bobby flay jr said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 02:01PM

“@ #21 gordon ramsey jr: say you wanna be sheep-shagger, anyone can clain your his son. Yeah, right! LOL! Get your stats right... 75% go out of buisness after he shows up?! Show me proof written in black and white, bud. The only buisness going out is you and your big wheel out the front door! Much luck to HPC and best wishes for a new beginning!”

37. clark said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 04:02PM

“How is the HPC doing now? 9 months later has anyone eaten there? prices?”

38. James said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 06:56PM

“I became aware of the restaurant after watching the Kitchen Disasters prorgam on Friday. I was impressed with the effort put into the transformation and wish the owners and staff all the best for a successful run. Being of Polish heritage, my only disappointment was to see that they made the same common mistake that many others do in calling one of the entrees "pierogies". A single dumpling is a "pierog", the plural being "pierogi". The term "pierogies" as a plural is just wrong! This time of year (especially here in Michigan) many restaurants, bakeries, and grocery stores make a similar error in referring to "paczkis" in thier promotions leading up to Fat Tuesday. The single pastry is a "paczek" (poon-check), while the plural is "paczki" (poonch-key). The review by Brian Mcmanus included the same "pierogies" error. All that aside, and being a big fan of the tuber, I sincerely wish them well in their recent relaunch, and I will certainly visit when I have the chance to visit the area.”

39. Fishtowner said... on Jan 30, 2010 at 07:52PM

“I walk by this restaurant every day and noticed the new sign a few months ago.

Glad that I didn't stop in before hand, but will be likely to now.

40. Rick said... on Jan 31, 2010 at 12:49AM

“Danielle is so fine. She should be a model when she is not filling bellys with her delicious treats.”

41. Brian said... on Jan 31, 2010 at 04:32AM

“The thing that people need to keep in mind about Kitchen Nightmares is that the show pays every diner who appears in the grand re-opening (and probably other segments as well). Yes, they are paid diners. I would assume that even the critic, who was invited, was also remunerated for his appearance by the show. So, think about what that means for this review above. Basically, I'd suggest waiting 6 months to 1 year to see if this restaurant really is transformed or if this is merely an illusion presented by Kitchen Nightmares. Many of KN's 'transformations' turn sour rapidly after Ramsey and the cameras leave.

Frankly, this critic needs to return to this restaurant in 6-9 months (about right now actually) to do another review unannounced. Then he can really see if the menu, food and service have held up after Ramsey's visit.”

42. Linda A. said... on Jan 31, 2010 at 05:25AM

“I was hoping Chef Ramsay would invite Danielle to be a contestant on his other show, "Hell's Kitchen." Although the winner of that competition gets to be the head chef of and run their own restaurant, and Danielle said she wouldn't want to be anywhere but Hot Potato, but still...”

43. Anonymous said... on Jan 31, 2010 at 10:55AM

“For some reason, that episode really touched my heart. I know that throughout the course of a life time everybody at one point or another loses his/her direction, drive, and/or ambition. It is inspiring to see that the possibility of change is in your hands, and all it takes is a new outlook on things, the determination to steer the course, hard work, and a positive perspective on negative circumstances.

Seeing your success so far, reminds me that although things may not necessarily be easy, they certainly aren't insurmountable. For this I thank the people at HPC and wish the best for everyone there. And I'll pray that you don't lose your fire, but if it does dwindle a little (which is almost a certainty of life) you guys can regroup and remember that change is in your hands.

P.S. I live in NY and go to Philli to run your marathon every year, and although I usually make it a point to eat a cheese steak, something tells me that my next trip will include a little more veggies.”

44. Brian McManus said... on Jan 31, 2010 at 12:39PM

“Not sure exactly where #41 got his information about how the KN production works, but it's incredibly wrong. I was not paid. I paid for the food I ordered. None of the other diners were paid either.

45. Mr. Morgle said... on Jan 31, 2010 at 07:06PM

“"Brian's [sic] are so smart!"

LOL”

46. 's said... on Jan 31, 2010 at 11:21PM

“Nice article Brian; but Mr. Morgle did catch you on your 's. I too laughed out loud.”

47. Michael said... on Feb 1, 2010 at 05:20AM

“has anyone eaten there recently? This review is like 8 months old. It would be interesting to see how the restaurant is doing now. And also danielle's eyes are gorgeous. Thought I'd throw that in there lol.”

48. crimekate said... on Feb 1, 2010 at 07:56AM

“#41, I seriously doubt that Brian McManus (oe any other established professional restaurant critic) is going to trade in his journalistic integrity for a free meal at a restaurant. I'm pretty sure Mr. McManus can afford to buy his own food (and I believe restaurant critics' food is paid for by the paper/magazinie anyway).”

49. chefomatic said... on Feb 1, 2010 at 10:08AM

“A surprising number of KN restaurants actually DO end up being sold within a year but most of the time it's due to the owners refusing to take the good advice and sense of a true genius like Ramsay and going back to their old ways or they wanted out and make use of the show to boost the business and selling price. I hope the ladies at HPC are smart enough to stick with the concept. They should send Danielle to culinary school ASAP, she has the raw talent and with some solid culinary education they'd see a definite return in the investment. Then again, the owners who appear on KN aren't exactly the best and brightest at running a restaurant . . .”

50. blee357 said... on Feb 1, 2010 at 11:02AM

“#1, the thought that someone from another country might consider a visit to Fishtown a must-do while in Philly made me laugh out loud.”

51. ENOC - Don Tanblock said... on Feb 1, 2010 at 12:55PM

“Hate to break it to all of you creepsters, but the cook (not chef) from that episode no longer works at the Hot Potato, instead migrating to a suburban joint with her pedo boyfriend.”

52. Oldskool said... on Feb 1, 2010 at 12:56PM

“I wish a lot more resturants could get free furnishings and expert help. We as the consumers would be the better for it.”

53. Samantha said... on Feb 1, 2010 at 05:05PM

“I'd also like to point out that none of the dinners are paid for by the KN show. I have family members/friends who visited the HPC during the taping and they all paid for their own food. What I would like to point out is that prior to changing the menu - the diners in the restaurant were friends and family who gave real reviews, saying that the food was awful. Get your facts straight.

54. Disappointed said... on Feb 1, 2010 at 09:08PM

“I was initially impressed by Danielle; however, search for 'thanksgiving 2007 2' posted by wowieemaureen and you'll see her saying several racial epithets (i.e., ni****)”

55. Where'd she go? said... on Feb 2, 2010 at 07:20AM

“Hmmm interesting find Disappointed, but I noticed that wowieemaureen took that 2nd Thanksgiving video down already, probably after getting tipped off by you. I saw some of her other videos of Danielle though, and WOW she acts a LOT ditzier than she did on KN!”

56. Caroline said... on Feb 2, 2010 at 01:41PM

“Hey, #41, you have your info wrong. I was there on the first night, and I was not paid. In fact, I even paid for my whole meal.”

57. Michael N. said... on Feb 3, 2010 at 07:39PM

“I'm happy to see a restaurant going a way in which food becomes #1. A warm atmosphere and good food make us go out and dinner in such restaurants. A passion in the kitchen with a gifted cook, fresh food prepared to our tummy's smile and the welcome eyes and warmth of the staff surely makes every place a place to come back, like a hot shower and what else is there to come.

Cheerios and keep it great there HPC.
Michael N.”

58. Anonymous said... on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:22AM

“@ #30... you need to stay off the tube and stop being a couch potato yourself. you're the one who should talk... I have a box full of moon pies you can have to watch next weeks show... stuff 'em and shove 'em!
HPC you rock!”

59. said... said... on Feb 9, 2010 at 08:02PM

“#41 I totally agree. Let's wait and see what happens before celebrating too much!”

60. Dave said... on Feb 12, 2010 at 05:02PM

“Ramsays Kitchen Nightmares Hot Potato Cafe is airing in the UK as I type. What a turnaround! As with all KN's (both the UK and USA), the real test is if they keep the improvement up a year down the line. In an earlier KN series, Gordon visited a restaurant in my town and made some changes which were abandoned after six months and after a year the place was sold. Now the new owners are talking about closing down. I really hope Hot Potato Cafe succeed and don't suffer the same fate as my local eatery.”

61. Anonymous said... on Feb 12, 2010 at 05:16PM

“I just finished watching Kitchen Nightmares (UK), I have to say, this is the first time I've checked up on any of the restaurants and it's interesting to read about HPC after the show. I'm completely unsure of whether half these comments are real or not, I know the Internet all to well and know that it's far too easy to fake a person.”

62. Mateo said... on Feb 13, 2010 at 06:32PM

“I saw KN on Hulu and thought the story was great! Good to see that they turned it around. The cook wasn't only good looking but appears she got the desire to pursue her cooking career. I hope they are on the follow up reunion show”

63. sherwin.d said... on Feb 14, 2010 at 01:59AM

“hi! i'm from the Philippines and I really thank God for sending Gordon to the HPC. let me just add.. Danielle is so beautiful! Goodluck to her. She's lovely!!”

64. Anonymous said... on Feb 14, 2010 at 10:11AM

“good luck to you danielle and remember it takes everything you got every night to make it in this bussiness and you are only as good as your last dinner”

65. Anonymous said... on Feb 20, 2010 at 06:13PM

“still not going to give this eyesore a second look. No way a dinner in that place is worth 18 hard earned dollars.”

66. Shane said... on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:01PM

“Danielle I just want to say how proud I am of you. Seriously you did everything right from start to finish from the way you held yourself together to the way you changed you really could see the passion come alive in you.I dont believe you have to come from BIG fancy school to be a Chef and my Dear you proved that on that episode. How Lucky you were to have that chance and you couldnt of done a better job. You made alot of people that call themselves Chefs that have been on that show KN look real bad. I hope Big things happen for you in life Danielle. It was that Smile:) that was so Wow Factor. OK Beautiful there I said it. Keep Smiling u hottie Chef girl u.... LOL”

67. hasse wuollet said... on Mar 6, 2010 at 11:55AM

“I'm a swedish chef. I usually never looks at cooking programs on tv. But i'm glad i saw this episode with the hot potato cafe. DANIELLE, you are so young and so cute lol, but you did it all so damn good from the beginning to the end. Your humble approach and pretty smile made me touched. I just wanna say to you, keep on rocking and with just a little more experience in your bag you can work anywhere you like in the future.
If i ever come to philadelphia i'll visit you.

Hasse / www.aroundtheworld.se

68. Bob from Montreal said... on Mar 15, 2010 at 09:19PM

“I beleive that HPC with Danielle at head chief will become a Philadelphia landmark. I plan to visit Philadelphia this summer just to stop at the restaurant. Danielle really impressed the culinary world. Gordon Ramsay can play the tough, sreaming, swearing Chief, he is great human being helpig people out. Thanks Gordon for a great show.....”

69. Anonymous said... on Mar 17, 2010 at 12:22AM

“id go there just to see the chef, sexy sexy sexy”

70. Anonymous said... on Mar 21, 2010 at 03:09AM

“Viewing this Kitchen Nightmares for the first time, seeing how put-on and staged the whole thing is, I wondered how Ramsay could have a following. Seeing all the comments about Danielle above reminds me of that Eleanor Rigby song 'All the lonely people - where do they all come from. Gees.

Listen folks, eat to live and don't live to eat and maybe you won't be so obsessed with falling madly in love with a chef. Food obsession and chef obsession - sad.”

71. bootwhistle said... on Mar 21, 2010 at 11:14AM

“@70, I kind of agree though I've seen the orginal Kitchen Nightmares from the UK at IMHO it was a lot better, they actually focused on the food and creating dishes a lot more - you could actually learn something about food watching those shows. The American version focuses on the "Drama" as much as possible, and food is just a result of the setting... meh.
Still all said and done, I wish the Hot Potatoe Cafe the best of luck, it's not easy running a restaurant and having worked in a Kitchen I can appreciate how much grit it takes to make it.”

72. Thelastword said... on Mar 21, 2010 at 04:22PM

“Number 65 and 70.....all I have to say is GFY. seriously. This was a great show and a turn around in desire and passion. Take your negativity and die.
Thanks.”

73. Anonymous said... on Mar 21, 2010 at 05:41PM

“#72. says "Take your negatiivity and die" ha ha... Cuckoo response I'm afraid.

Wishing death because of a criticism. Oh the irony and hypocrisy,. Grow up and walk outside now and then,.

74. Maxedwell said... on Mar 23, 2010 at 03:02PM

“Great KN episode. I agree with the person who said that Danielle should be on the next Hell's Kitchen. What a great idea! Apparently, she is a star in the making.
Wish I lived near PA to visit this place. Glad to see a family doing well after Gordon's make-over.”

75. Foodie from Canada said... on Apr 29, 2010 at 01:52AM

“Well I have to say 'What a turnaround indeed!' From one self-taught chef to another..you rocked Danielle!!! I just watched the show and I'm blown away with you guys! I'm totally planning a trip from Canada (Toronto) to Philly specifically to visit the restaurant and experience Hot Potato Heaven ; ) See you soon.”

76. Ray said... on May 15, 2010 at 10:41AM

“This KN episode is awesome!Gotta be there to have a try once I got spare time!”

77. Keith said... on May 21, 2010 at 11:08PM

“Danielle was very impressive in the kitchen and she is beautiful too. u rock Danielle”

78. Anonymous said... on Jun 2, 2010 at 11:46AM

“Why so many comments about Danielle's appearance. The show was not about her appearance. I agree about her talent. I was a lil suprised she had any. She started off by saying she did not want the job she was pushed into it. Its nice to see that she has no embraced it. I use to live in NJ right out side of Philly. I traveled there daily for food and entertaiment as well as shops. I have since then moved to OH. I have not yet found a restuarant i would enjoy returning to. I now have a 1yr old, 2 yr old and a 1month old. I would love to pack them and my husband in the van to go get some of that good food. lol lol lol M family loves potatoes and i love food so look out Hot Potatoe here we come YUM YUM!!!!”

79. Zach said... on Jun 29, 2010 at 07:33PM

“Saw the restaurant featured on Gordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares US" and I can't wait to try their food. I love potatoes!

Zach
Pittsburgh, PA”

80. Daniel said... on Jul 5, 2010 at 07:18AM

“Just watched the episode here in Australia. It's hard to tell what's real, and what has been spun by the producers of the show with some crafty editing... Nevertheless, it was a good episode of KN. All the best to the ladies at HPC with business in the future.

One thing though, they need the Gordon Ramsay of web designers to do a makeover of their website. It looks like the design was oursourced to someone else in their family. Maybe their 8 year old nephew?”

81. dr. phil kousoubris said... on Jul 14, 2010 at 09:25PM

“Do I know you Brian - ? Villanova ? - loved the ramsay remake episode, and your reviews (2).”

82. gdanjou said... on Sep 24, 2010 at 02:16AM

“I had so hoped that the hot potato cafe,in phily could just have hung on for a while longer,after watching hell's kitchen I all most felt sorry for the staff and of course the owner[s] and after the [make over] things seem to be falling into place ,and I said ,well there's hope yet, I have never felt so sad about a small business and having so many problems ,that there was light at the end of the tunnel I really don't understand why they just gave up?hopefully maybe someday and relocate to another area,I wish them all good luck in the future .”

83. Never ate there. said... on Oct 29, 2010 at 09:46AM

“SORRY EVERYONE BUT Te Hot Potato Cafe CLOSED in August 2010, it is no more.

And #83 and #86 you are a TRUE coward, why not post your real name if you're going to say things like that. You sound like someone she dumped and we can all see why. COWARD LOSER.”

84. Anonymous said... on Dec 23, 2010 at 08:55AM

“Bravo #87...#83 & 86... whatever she does outside the resturant is her business, she showed potential, and seemed to be incharge in the kitchen, and thats what the review was about. Kudos to her for trying. Not everyone thrusted into a kitchen can pull it off. #83 & 86, shame shame on you for trying to cloud peoples judgement by imposing yours.”

85. Anonymous said... on Feb 17, 2011 at 05:42PM

“Why was it closed?”

86. Cindy said... on Mar 29, 2011 at 07:50AM

“watching the episode of KN featuring this cafe on tv now, here in Australia (must be a repeat).
What a shame to hear its closed down.....I wonder if those aunts went back to their lazy ways. The untrained chef was certainly left holding the baby from the looks of things, one so young and beautiful should not be taken advantage of like that by her own family!!
Regardless of the cafe's demise, I'm sure the experience being on KN will open a lot of doors to the young chef Danielle, and not just in the food industry :-) you go girl!!”

87. Anonymous said... on May 14, 2011 at 10:01AM

“I loved this episode, although I'm a low carber so I couldn't eat most of the dishes. It's too bad it's closed. Based on all of these comments, I'm amazed how the chef is lauded as smoking hot, beautiful, etc. Like I always say, the world is at the mercy of a reasonably attractive white woman. The world is yours, please know that.”

88. Anonymous said... on May 18, 2011 at 12:52AM

“It doesn't matter much, now that the Hot Potato has closed, but did it occur to anyone that the "leader" (or at least the most outspoken of the three sisters who owned the place) was a damned WHINER?

WHINE, WHINE, WHINE. I wished she would STOP WHINING.

Is all that WHINING typical of where she's from?”

89. jose garcia valero said... on Jun 2, 2011 at 04:18PM

“me encanto todo”

90. Anonymous said... on Jul 7, 2011 at 06:09AM

“Does anyone know why they closed there doors,and im curious if danielle is still working as a chef,shes gorgous btw”

91. Asian /b/ro said... on Jul 17, 2011 at 02:47PM

“oh lol i just see the vid #54 suggested.
shes cute but a bit uneducated for saying that lol.

cheers

asian /b/ro”

92. yori hutabarat said... on Oct 11, 2011 at 09:23PM

“for dannielle.. hii i'm from indonesia.. and dying to try your food... if you on plan to come to visit indonesia, please FB me.. i'll come after you to give free tour guide... :)”

93. Warning said... on Oct 27, 2011 at 10:34AM

“@ Alec - Fishtown is NOT a vacation destination. It's a crime filled hell hole section of our city. Stay away. Also, Hot Potato Cafe is closed now.”

94. Sean/San Diego said... on Oct 27, 2011 at 11:06AM

“ANYONE that does not think Danielle will be a great chef is dreaming!

95. peter vinsen said... on Jan 8, 2012 at 05:59PM

“love the program can some one give me the full addres plz

96. Paddy said... on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:07AM

“Well Done Gordon, to work with owners of a failing business and to have them turn it around by listening to your solutions must be the hardest task here. To make a programme that throws a life line and as well as educating others whilst in this financial time is pretting rewarding to do, and to watch. Long may it continue. and do whatever needs doing to keep it going. all the Best.”

97. Anonymous said... on Feb 2, 2012 at 02:01AM

“Sorry the place has closed...and to #92...YES, Philadelphia is full of whiners. They just TALK that way.”

98. Jason said... on Feb 8, 2012 at 11:02PM

“In the face of the pressure she was under, being pressed into a dire situation, Danielle showed the poise and composure of someone twice her age.”

99. mike said... on May 14, 2012 at 11:38PM

“seconded - Danielle is georgous, the look on her face when she starts doing good in the kitchen made her even more so ! - suck a shame it shutdown, hopefully thier next enterprise will include her and be successful !”

100. nickels said... on Jun 13, 2013 at 12:36AM

“Lol@#82”

Spuddy Hell
By Brian McManus

Brian McManus visited Hot Potato Cafe in 2007 and found the food, as you can read below, less than desirable. He was invited back after Gordon Ramsay's retooling of the restaurant and menu. His review of that trip will appear tomorrow in advance of the third season premiere of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares at Hot Potato Cafe.

Hot Potato Café to be on 'Kitchen Nightmares'
By PW Staff

The Inquirer reports a negative review from Philadelphia Weekly helped bring the popular Gordon Ramsay show Kitchen Nightmares to town to fix the Hot Potato Café.