Farmers' Cabinet Struggles to Find Consistency

Two reviewers. Two wildly different opinions.

By Brian Freedman and Tim McGinnis
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 7 | Posted Aug. 10, 2011

McGinnis’ only complaint here was price. “It’s plenty potent, but at $10 per ‘mug’ (actually a tiny antique teacup), I felt a little ripped off. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not the guy who wants a 12 percent beer poured into an Imperial pint glass. I’m down with appropriate-sized glassware. I’m also down with appropriate pricing: I ain’t paying $10 for a tea cup of anything. Plus I felt a bit like the queen of England—pinkies out!”

He was also a fan of the Augurs of Spring, “a divine take on the classic martini with plymouth gin, dolin dry vermouth, a bitter potable called meletti amaro and narcissus bitters.”

Final conclusions

In conclusion, says Freedman, Farmers’ Cabinet is “easily one of the more exciting, satisfying restaurants to open in the city.”

Not so fuckin’ fast, McGinnis says. “Like Old Mother Hubbard, I opened up the Farmers’ Cabinet and saw that there was really nothing much in it at all.”

1113 Walnut St.
215.923.1113.
thefarmerscabinet.com

Hours: Daily, 3pm-2am; Brunch Sat.-Sun., 11am-4pm.

Price range: $5-$80.

Cuisine type: McGinnis: “Archaic farm to table.” Freedman:“Rustic American given serious, joyous respect.”

Atmosphere: Freedman: “Dimly lit and evocative of some sort of quintessential man-cave, and perfect for it.” McGinnis: “Tombstone meets Disneyworld.”

Food: McGinnis: “Rustic, locally sourced, underseasoned fare.” Freedman: “Rich and generally very well-prepared.”

Service: McGinnis: “Friendly.” Freedman: “Knowledgeable and helpful. And Caleb Deitch, formerly of Snackbar, may be one of the best waiters in the city, raising his work to an art form.”

Prev| Page: 1 2

COMMENTS

1. CE Phood said... on Aug 10, 2011 at 11:27AM

“It's a Jekyll & Hyde show for sure...great drinks, unique atmosphere but food is hit-or-miss

Here's my experience..URLs prohibited so just google the following

steampunk style steamtable flavor”

2. Anonymous said... on Aug 10, 2011 at 11:27AM

“uhhh, you know, they have beer here too. In fact, it's kind of the place's main focus (which might explain the inconsistency of the food... )”

3. Pretentious much? said... on Aug 10, 2011 at 01:04PM

“After having a couple of very tasty drinks, I walked around for a minute to check out the rest of the place.

"Can I help you?" said the bartender, who I believe was Ms. Esmon.
"No thanks, just having a look around."
"Oh." she said smugly, "Are you new in town?"

Yeah. Not going back there.

4. Steve said... on Aug 10, 2011 at 02:42PM

“I had such a disappointing dinner at Fork and Barrell (their former venture in East Falls that they closed down in the middle of the night) that I refuse to go to Farmer's Cabinet. The comment about "rubbery seafood" was spot on if it's the same chef as F&B. I had $32 scallops when I was there....tiny, rubbery little things. I won't give the owners of this place another chance especially when I hear the horror stories of how they run their businesses and screw over employees left and right.”

5. GroJLart said... on Aug 11, 2011 at 08:41AM

“I went there once, the food was good but there could have been bugs crawling all over it and I never would have known... the place is so dark in the back section you can't even see your menu. The acoustics are bad as well... one loud table echoes throughout the whole place.”

6. Farmers' Cabinet said... on Aug 11, 2011 at 08:56AM

“At “The Farmers’ Cabinet,” we strive to provide a unique dining experience to our guests through our décor, ambience, service, beverage programs, and, most importantly, food. Ownership along with our management team, had recognized several months ago that we needed someone with more energy and inspiration leading our food program, to fully execute our goals. After an extensive search we are proud to announce the addition of Chef Jason Goodman to are team. Jason’s resume includes positions at Meritage, LaCroix, Le Bec Fin, and most recently Parc. As the executive chef, he has begun creating an exciting new menu that will debut during restaurant week starting September 12, Jason’s creativity and philosophy is a perfect marriage with our concept, and we look forward to sharing his craft with Philadelphia.

7. Thompson said... on Aug 12, 2011 at 12:58PM

“The news of Goodman at "The Farmers' Cabinet" is exciting. I would remiss not to point out that at least 1 writer on staff has experience with dog penis”