Philly's Celebrities Share Their Favorite Beer and Bars

Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 7 | Posted May. 30, 2012

Suzie Brown, musician

Favorite beer: Lancaster Milk Stout.

Favorite place to drink beer: Grace Tavern—great vibe and blackened string beans.

James Ijames, actor

Favorite beer: I like the Walt Wit. It taste great and I find it pretty refreshing. And it’s local!

Favorite place to drink: Love Watkins Drinkery on 10th and Watkins! Great food, nice beer selection, knowledgeable bartenders and super-cool staff. And the vibe is great as well!

Jerry Blavat, DJ

Favorite beer: When I want an ice-cold brew, it’s got to be Yuengling. It represents everything that’s great about Philadelphia. Family owned, in every neighborhood. I feel good knowing that it’s a tradition that belongs in my hometown and is and has been for the last 183 years. Like Philly, it’s got taste, substance and it’s fulfilling.

Favorite place to drink: My favorite place in Philly to drink beer has got to be Chickie & Pete’s. I do my live broadcasts and dance parties from their locations, and after dancing on stage for two or three hours, I need to chill so I sit with my pal, Pete Chirarchi, who created Chickie & Petes, order a nice cold Yuengling—which we call “Pennsylvania chardonnay”—grab some crab fries and one of his best-kept secrets Chickie & Petes’ pizza.

Christina Wilson, chef de cuisine, Mercato

Favorite beer and place to drink it, No. 1: My favorite beer is [anything from] Augustiner Bräu and I always drink it at Fork because I don’t know who else carries it and I have a very deep love for Guy Smith. Although, I only do that about twice a year.

Favorite beer and place to drink it, No. 2: On a much more regular basis, I drink Schmidt’s because that’s what my dad taught me and it’s quite delicious. I drink it in pint cans at Bar on Sansom St. I only go when Rosa—the hottest, friendliest female bartender in Midtown Village—or Ralphie—the gentle mountain-looking man who’s also co-owner of Two Awesome Dudes T-shirt company in S. Philly—are working, because they really do give that bar such a great personality!

Larry Mendte, media guy

Favorite beer: I like Guinness because I am three-quarters Irish and it is required. I like Corona because I am not Mexican and it’s not required. At the risk of coming off as a complete beer lightweight, I will admit to drinking Corona Light at home, which is basically water with a spritz of hops.

Favorite place to drink: I like to drink beer at any Irish bar, especially if they are in Ireland. I also like to drink a beer at a Phillies game, also required.

Gene Shay, folk DJ

Favorite beer: My favorite these days is Stella Artois.

Favorite place to drink: I hang at World Cafe Live (upstairs) mainly ’cause I like the bartender, Heather, and I work right downstairs at XPN.

Hugh Giordano, Green Party activist and union organizer

Favorite beer: Budweiser. It’s union-made.

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on May 30, 2012 at 04:45PM

“you are the man tommy pope”

2. Anonymous said... on May 30, 2012 at 08:39PM

“I like pizza”

3. Anonymous said... on May 30, 2012 at 10:30PM

“where are the celebs?”

4. Anonymous said... on May 31, 2012 at 08:20AM

“in the bar apparently

5. JB said... on May 31, 2012 at 12:14PM

“They included a good number of clueless, unadventurous beer drinkers. I'm surprised none of them mentioned Bud Light in those sweet, blue bottle/can deals you find all over the street, but you know those must be great because of the way they make people go “Woooooo!” when they drink them. I understand the point wasn’t to interview people inside the Philly beer scene, but some of these are like promoting restaurant week by talking to folks about their love of Campbell’s soup and Wendy’s burgers. Other articles about beer week have been about establishing Philly as a premier beer city. I think this one shows how far we have to go yet. Most people are still staring at the back of the cave.”

6. Anonymous said... on Jun 4, 2012 at 06:05PM

“For a guy named Joe Sixpack waitta not commit to anything ever.. should've excluded him for that alone.”

7. melissa bang-bang said... on Aug 8, 2012 at 09:08PM

“JB, Have you been to Wendy's lately? They got rid of their taco salad for this crap Santa Fe salad or something!!! I see where they were going changing iceberg to spring mix, but the hot chili totally wilts the greens. And the avocado salad... if you can even call it that... I mean, EWE! SO DISAPPOINTING!

@ Anonymous said... “where are the celebs?”
So sorry, they should've said philebrities instead of celebrities. We're not famous, just popular, obviously some more than others. I know, I know, your feelings are hurt cause you wanted to play reindeer games too. I'm sorry!

xoxmelissa