Philly's Celebrities Share Their Favorite Beer and Bars

Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 7 | Posted May. 30, 2012

Favorite place to drink: Favorite bar is Prohibition at 13th and Buttonwood. Great beers, menu, staff and, best of all, a great jukebox.

Duane Swierczynski, author, Expiration Date, DC Comics, Marvel Comics, The Big Book o’ Beer

Favorite beer: Shiner Bock on tap. Because you can never find it here in Philly, and you always crave what you can’t have.

Favorite place to drink: I have two go-to beer halls: McGillin’s Olde Ale House for when I’m downtown, and the Grey Lodge Pub for when I’m up in the Northeast. One for the history, the other for what’s on tap. I love McGillin’s so much that I destroyed it in a comic book; I’m pretty sure I’ll get around to firebombing the Grey Lodge in a future novel.

Preston Elliot, host, Preston & Steve Morning Show

Favorite beer: Founders Breakfast Stout because it has a rich body and I like the chocolate tones. Always good to keep a bottle or two in the fridge when I’m looking for something yummy!

Favorite place to drink: Mac’s Tavern, because it’s a great place to drink a beer—and the 2 percent I own gives me full access to the toilet-paper holders in the bathrooms!

Kathy Romano, Preston & Steve Morning Show

Favorite beer: Corona Light because it reminds me of summer, fun, and the sun, no matter what the weather or where I am.

Favorite place to drink: On the deck at the family shore house in Townsends Inlet and at Guppy’s Good Times in Conshohocken.

Nick McIlwain, Preston & Steve Morning Show

Favorite beer: Pacifico, because I once bought a six-pack while on a road trip up the Pacific Coast Highway from L.A. to Malibu.

Favorite place to drink: The back deck of the Deauville in Strathmere, N.J., on a summer day when there’s a cool breeze and a sunset.

Marisa Magnatta, Preston & Steve Morning Show

Favorite beer: Weyerbacher’s Imperial Pumpkin Ale. I love everything pumpkin, just please don’t tap it until October 1!

Favorite place to drink: The With Love Beer Garden—The Four Seasons puts together an amazing beer garden on their back patio, and it’s fun to drink outside, on the grass, at a fancy place in the city.

Abby Kessler & Katie Loftus, owners of Smak Parlour

Favorite beer: Weyerbacher is the best; Merry Monks’ is our favorite!

Favorite place to drink: The outdoor terrace at Revolution House is an awesome place to go on a nice spring day/evening. Pretty flowers and a nice view!

Ralph Archbold, the official Ben Franklin

Prev| Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 |Next

COMMENTS

1. Anonymous said... on May 30, 2012 at 04:45PM

“you are the man tommy pope”

2. Anonymous said... on May 30, 2012 at 08:39PM

“I like pizza”

3. Anonymous said... on May 30, 2012 at 10:30PM

“where are the celebs?”

4. Anonymous said... on May 31, 2012 at 08:20AM

“in the bar apparently

5. JB said... on May 31, 2012 at 12:14PM

“They included a good number of clueless, unadventurous beer drinkers. I'm surprised none of them mentioned Bud Light in those sweet, blue bottle/can deals you find all over the street, but you know those must be great because of the way they make people go “Woooooo!” when they drink them. I understand the point wasn’t to interview people inside the Philly beer scene, but some of these are like promoting restaurant week by talking to folks about their love of Campbell’s soup and Wendy’s burgers. Other articles about beer week have been about establishing Philly as a premier beer city. I think this one shows how far we have to go yet. Most people are still staring at the back of the cave.”

6. Anonymous said... on Jun 4, 2012 at 06:05PM

“For a guy named Joe Sixpack waitta not commit to anything ever.. should've excluded him for that alone.”

7. melissa bang-bang said... on Aug 8, 2012 at 09:08PM

“JB, Have you been to Wendy's lately? They got rid of their taco salad for this crap Santa Fe salad or something!!! I see where they were going changing iceberg to spring mix, but the hot chili totally wilts the greens. And the avocado salad... if you can even call it that... I mean, EWE! SO DISAPPOINTING!

@ Anonymous said... “where are the celebs?”
So sorry, they should've said philebrities instead of celebrities. We're not famous, just popular, obviously some more than others. I know, I know, your feelings are hurt cause you wanted to play reindeer games too. I'm sorry!

xoxmelissa